AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

The banner boss is great for sure. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for them to lower the price for the foot version since it makes absolutely no sense in a Matched Play environment that the boar version should be the same price as the foot one.

10 hours ago, Malakree said:

I'm intending on grabbing a SC greenskinz as my next buy, once I've finished my 18 remaining ggs, /facepalm, and converting both versions to have a waaagh! Banner.

I'll be using the rereleased Gorbad Ironclaw model for my banner boss on a boar.  I am so excited that they are rereleasing that guy since he goes for over $100 on ebay and he is one of the few Orc & Goblin models that I want but never did pick up.  I figured it would be a long time before they discontinued a miniature that fantastic and that was a bad assumption.

I also have the Forgeworld Greenskin Orc command.  They both work well as Greenskin Warbosses.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 4

So i plan to play my first AoS2 games this weekend will be nice to test real-game stuff and not just theory crafting. 
Working  on my Ironjawz list (will be playing against deepkin, will be really tough match). I have playing with too much proxy, and i'm working with the following stuff:
30 ardboys, 15 brutes, 6 pig, 1 Maw Krusha, 1 Megaboss, 2 Weirnob Shaman, 2 Warchanter. 
I'm toying between classic ironfist, a Gordrack beta bomb, a weirdfist or maybe go battalions-less (with Cog to buff move)
I've seen some interesting stuff in the past few day on the forum. The thing that stand out the most is the 5+ keep your command point artefact.

I've come with this list i find interesting:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
4 x Ironskull's Boyz (80)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 141

It have a bit more body than classic list. I find the Orruk Warboss to also fit well in the list, and he give some Waaagh redundancy. However, with no battalion
you only get 1 artefact, which is sad. I like the Golden tooth really much. But i would like the CP regeneration item as well. I could also use a warchanter over 
the ironskull boyz.

I could also try the weirdfist. I know he will be using lense, but with the battalion bonus i should be able to do some damage:

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
Weirdfist (180)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 1920 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

and 80 pts to play with. 

Any suggestion?

1 hour ago, broche said:

- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
4 x Ironskull's Boyz (80)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 141

It have a bit more body than classic list. I find the Orruk Warboss to also fit well in the list, and he give some Waaagh redundancy. However, with no battalion
you only get 1 artefact, which is sad. I like the Golden tooth really much. But i would like the CP regeneration item as well. I could also use a warchanter over 
the ironskull boyz.

In this list I would drop the Megaboss to a Warchanter (you still have a 2nd Waaagh! source) freeing up 60 points. Drop the Ironskullz (freeing up 80 points) giving you 200 spare points for a battalion of your choice, probably a weirdfist or an Ironfist.

This would still give you your extra command point but greatly reduce your drops, it would also include the WC who is great for his +1 buff, especially if you have a big unit of Ardboys who are getting a Waaagh! (3s vs 4s on 60+ attacks!). Losing the Ironskullz is perhaps a pain but I'd definitely say it's worth it.

Plus you have 20 points spare for a second endless spell. Personally I like the Malevolent Maelstrom in a list without a lot of wizards. You are lacking unbinds should you come up against a lot of wizards and with his +2 to cast the unbind is less painful against your single spell a turn Weirdnob.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, broche said:

He is good for sure, but i find it hard to fit it in my List so far. Maybe if you go no-bataillion

I'm aiming for a list with Gordrakk like this one :

Gordrakk

Megaboss 

Warchanter

Orruk Warboss banner

10 brutes

5 brutes

3 GG

3GG

Ironfist

Between rerolls, many waaaghs, Gordrakk ability and raw power, I think it might be enough to compensate the absence of shooting / magic.

The two other option :

- Gorefist with Gordrakk but it seems really boring ...

- Bloodtooth but I have to say goodbye to Gordrakk (who is surprisingly less resilient than a normal MKMB :/  )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tolstedt said:

You can totally do bloodtoofs with gordrakk

I don't think you can..

Gordrakk

MKMB

5*GG

Ironfist

Bloodtooth

2020 points if I remember correctly... and even if you could, with that muche Gore Gruntas, Gorefist might be a better choice :/  

4 minutes ago, broche said:

You need to use the ironskullz boys and it will fit.

You can't they don't go in the Ironfist.

12 minutes ago, Backbreaker said:

I don't think you can..

Gordrakk

MKMB

5*GG

Ironfist

Bloodtooth

2020 points if I remember correctly... and even if you could, with that muche Gore Gruntas, Gorefist might be a better choice :/

Yep, I was sure somewhere in the pre-stuff someone on the GW team said you could now take the Big G in a megabattalion, when I checked though I struggled to sift through the hours of content to find where it was.

3 minutes ago, Warfiend said:

They can, they got the Ardboy keyword.

I don't think it's a question of keywords for battalions, it's just the name of the unit that matter here. But I'm not sure.

Even if it's possible, I think that you'll loose a lot to juste have the mega battalion with Gordrakk.

18 hours ago, Malakree said:

Plus you have 20 points spare for a second endless spell. Personally I like the Malevolent Maelstrom in a list without a lot of wizards. You are lacking unbinds should you come up against a lot of wizards and with his +2 to cast the unbind is less painful against your single spell a turn Weirdnob.

I like it. I've to admit i discarded Maelstrom early from my analysis, but it's probably better than I tough. being able to set up an unbinding oportunity at 18 + 8 can be good.

14 minutes ago, Blitzel said:

What do you all think is the best item for the megaboss on maw-krusha? De 5++ against mortal wounds seems nice, to keep him alive.

Depend of what you want to do, but it's between protection against mortal vs protection vs attacking power.

if you want protection against mortal, best item is Ignax scale (4+). However the Mirror Cuirass is not bad (5+ but 6 bounce a mortal) and give you access to the CP regeneration item (quite good).

For protection, the Etheral amulet is quite good (ignore rend). Better than ironclad, and free your trait for something else (prohet of the waagh or brutish cunning can both be quite good)

There's also an item that heal d6 in gyran. If you're unsure if you need protection against mortal or normal protection it's not bad. But maybe you're just better with Daubing on mork anyway (6++)

If you want to hit harder then +1 damage or increase rend cannot be bad. But if you want to hit harder you can always go for Gordrack too (hit significantly harder than normal MK) but you can't protect him except with an arcane shield...

In the end it depend on how you plan to use the MK and matchup you think you'll be facing

hope that help!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What do you guys think of that? Weirnob is to cast mystic shield on Gordrackk to make him more survivable, prophet to increase the number of waaaagh (3 CP should net you +4 attack in average). Difficulty i'm expecting would be keeping 6 units in range of Megaboss. Would realy like to fit the Cog in that list, but it's getting tight in models count.

Allegiance: Destruction
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Gordrakk The Fist of Gork (580)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
Ironfist (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

3 hours ago, broche said:

I like it. I've to admit i discarded Maelstrom early from my analysis, but it's probably better than I tough. being able to set up an unbinding oportunity at 18 + 8 can be good.

"An" unbind opportunity. 

You do realise it gets an unbinding attempt EVERY time a wizard casts a spell in 12" of it. If your opponent tries to cast 20spells you get 20 unbind attempts from it...

• Like 1

Yeah this thing seems like it is a really nice anti-magic tool.  I totally missed the fact that it tries to swallow spells near it.  Thanks for pointing that out!

I am highly considering putting this into my Spiderfang army given that they have so many wizards and so few spells.  I might just convert up a big magic catch-web marker for it also.

6 minutes ago, broche said:

But still it take an 8 to dispel not garantee at all.

Also as it's an Unbinding roll the various bonuses for casting don't apply. For example things like the Astrolith Bearer, The Slann Sage's Staff. 

1 minute ago, Skabnoze said:

Yeah this thing seems like it is a really nice anti-magic tool.  I totally missed the fact that it tries to swallow spells near it.  Thanks for pointing that out!

I am highly considering putting this into my Spiderfang army given that they have so many wizards and so few spells.  I might just convert up a big magic catch-web marker for it also.

It's also pretty vicious if it explodes. Potentially you can fire it and have it off the board by the time the round rolls round.

Bringing this list to a tournament tomorrow. First place gets a Soul Wars box so bringing the best of what I have. Would love to bring Bloodtoofs instead but don't have a realmgate model yet. Will update with how it goes: 

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Mirrored Cuirass 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch