AoS 2e previews

Sception

I don't think so, considering the spells have a rule that specifies that IF you are in the corresponding realm they are amplified. Wouldn't make sense if you could only cast them there, it would be redundant. And how would tying artifacts to where you are going to play work? As far as I'm aware you bring your list to the game, you don't create it on the spot.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, smucreo said:

I don't think so, considering the spells have a rule that specifies that IF you are in the corresponding realm they are amplified. Wouldn't make sense if you could only cast them there, it would be redundant. And how would tying artifacts to where you are going to play work? As far as I'm aware you bring your list to the game, you don't create it on the spot.

Well the problem is that the previews are very "cryptic" in terms of magic.

For example in the Magic Casting and Unbinding article, theres this statement

If your army doesn’t have a battletome or spell lores to choose from yet, don’t worry – there’s plenty of exciting stuff on the way for all magic users. For example, the new edition brings with it a whole Lore of Magic’s worth of spells for almost every realm, depending on where your battle is taking place.

It seems to imply the new magic lores aren't like the original WFB magic system thaat is far more built into list building. Heck it seems to even hint that anyone can take advantage of this, so a Death mage may still be able to use the lore of life, unless they have mentioned restrictions...

As for artifacts, it could be a "at the start of battle you may replace one of your artifacts with one from the realm specific list"

A bit slow getting to this one today, but here we finally have a much anticipated peek into into Endless Spells, Age of Sigmar’s take on ‘remains in play’ spells from previous editions.  https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/26/26th-may-endless-spellsgw-homepage-post-2/

And yeah, they look pretty awesome.  Potentially a lot of damage, but also a lot of potential to backfire on you if your opponent gets the chance to turn them on you.  The person going second in each round getting to move such spells first might (might) be enough to offset the problem of double turns.  It certainly won’t hurt.  And the spells themselves look particularly nasty & useful.

I can imagine Nagash casting Umbral Spellportal, then casting Purple Sun and throwing it through the portal into the middle of the enemy army, and then dispelling the portal behind it all in the same turn (and still having 5 casting attempts left), which, if possible, would be pretty freaking awesome, if it’s actually possible.  It might not be.  You might be limited to spells, including endless spells, from a single realm/lore, in which case we wouldn’t be able to cast both the shyish purple sun and the ulgu spellportal with the same army.

Even so, it’s all pretty cool.  Purple Sun on its own is impressive enough to be a fantastic upgrade for death magic, though sadly I think its model is... not the best?  Certainly my least favorite of the endless spell models we’ve seen thus far, the rest of which are pretty awesome.

But still, cool stuff.  I’m excited.  And balewind vortex is an endless spell now, which is interesting.  Presumably you won’t need to pay reserve points for it, but on the other hand opponents will be able to dispel it out from under your wizard on their turn

Hand of Dust is a fantastic point.  Nothing prevents either portal from being set up near enemy models.  Cast Umbral Portal (nagash automatically passes the casting attempt, so only have to worry about unbinding attempts), and suddenly hand of dust has 22" range, plus twice the diameter of the spellportal model, probably at least 1".  If Arkhan's about, you're talking about a 30" hand of dust.

By the fluff, Nagash should always be going with shyish magic, but nagash plus ulgu looks like an absolutely disgusting combination.

I’m a bit meh at the minute. Loads of people are already salty about how strong death are looking! I say shut the hell up and put your salt back in the cupboard. Death finally get massive love, but we haven’t really seen much from any other factions so there’s going to be incredible changes for every army across the board.

as for the endless spells, they seem cool. Super cool. I’m not gonna read much into it, we are just assuming/speculating at the minute and no doubt it’s frustrating ones self as there’s no answers as of yet. I say just enjoy the content and wait for the release.

the real excitement for me is the new NIGHTHAUNT. Anything else is gonna take the back seat. NH has me proper excited and I’m just gonna focus on that for now.

im loving how death looks in AOSv2. I think we are gonna have a strong foundation and more revival shenanigans.  And next month it will all become clear as all the releases come out!!

6 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

Loads of people are already salty about how strong death are looking! I

Well, new books, new hate...

people complaining mostly are used to us being push overs, so sure, quit whining and up your game. Still getting wrecked enough to think we are well balanced. And as a subpar general, I know how to blame my opponents cheese for my shortcomings. 

The endless spells still intrigue me, but without Nagash or still tricky and hard to control. And of course they are realm specific, something that has to be discussed beforehand. Nagash can‘t 22“ Hand of dust, if the opponent casts it first. Same with purple sun, well he could dispel and then cast...

and after my poor terrorgheist met morks foot first thing in the game, it all comes down to the dice gods who laugh at our feeble attempts 

Some people may also have PTSD from Warhammer The End Times when they first brought in Nagash and had free summoning there. A tad different though as the undead were the only ones who could summon, and Nagash literally could summon 1000-2000 extra points of models if you rolled well. That was....something. It became a game of "can my 3 great cannons kill nagash in round 2".

30 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Some people may also have PTSD from Warhammer The End Times when they first brought in Nagash and had free summoning there. A tad different though as the undead were the only ones who could summon, and Nagash literally could summon 1000-2000 extra points of models if you rolled well. That was....something. It became a game of "can my 3 great cannons kill nagash in round 2".

Maybe, but newer player are more likely just really upset by the amount of stuff Nagash can throw and feel like it is unbalance for one unit to do so much! 

20 minutes ago, Oogje said:

Maybe, but newer player are more likely just really upset by the amount of stuff Nagash can throw and feel like it is unbalance for one unit to do so much! 

Well he is a god.... so if costed appropriately and if there are ways to counter, I think it can fit. We just have to wait and see.

3 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

People shouldn't forget that balance problems need only interfere with tournament games. If you are facing a newer player in a "regular" game and he or she doesn't find it fun to play against Nagash... then don't field Nagash. 

Exactly or just explain the counter play if you know it and hopefully have a nice fun up and down game without it being lobsided af :)

5 hours ago, Oreaper84 said:

Well he is a god.... so if costed appropriately and if there are ways to counter, I think it can fit. We just have to wait and see.

Yeah but I'm talking full blown " I can't handle your stupid op stuff, your army is way op and that's why I'm losing not because I suck" salt train.. 

But we will have to wait and see, it's going to be another game all together 

On 5/26/2018 at 11:16 AM, smucreo said:

Well it seems there is counter intuitive information about the realm specific spells and artifacts.  While one said depending on where the battle takes place, the blurb about artifacts in the Sylvaneth focus said this:

Finally, if your Sylvaneth hail from Ghyran, you’ll be able to access a host of powerful artefacts.

Which sounds like something you choose before the battle.  This could potentially also apply to spells, but it seems like spells will be decided by where the battle is, so players only need to keep 7 spells in their minds, and artifacts are part of list creation.  Since there will only be a few at most on the table to keep track of.  Sort of like magic items from  WHFB.

Exciting either way, how the new Night Haunt wizards are capable casters.

The Nagash discussion is getting kinda old... sure, he kicks ****** but 800 points are half a list. That is a group of 50 arkonauts with their general!!! Or 9 skyfires with their shaman... come on

i agree, for 800 points i would want him to do work, plus from a narrative perspective he is the leader of the grand alliance, he should wreck face & be a good model

Ive had more success killing him with high rend vs mortal wounds

29 minutes ago, Honk said:

The Nagash discussion is getting kinda old... sure, he kicks ****** but 800 points are half a list. That is a group of 50 arkonauts with their general!!! Or 9 skyfires with their shaman... come on

I dunno man, I think that this is the first time since the book came out that the Nagash discussion is really quite fresh. The new spells make big spooky boi that much more powerful, and the shenanigans people are proposing with Umbral Portal are potentially bonkers. 

You are absolutely right that 800 points is a huge cost, but the discussion isn't about whether or not Nagash is OP -- it's whether or not people will complain about them, and they most certainly will. With magic becoming a bigger part of the game, the one model that can absolutely dominate the magic phase is sure to ruffle some feathers. And honestly, people complain about groups of 9 skyfires too (and rightly so)! It's definitely worth keeping this in mind in non-tournament games where you really should be taking your opponent's fun into consideration.

Depending on how supplemental spell selection works, I wonder if the following list would be viable:

Nagash

Arkhan

2 Necromancers

Mortis Engine

3x5 Dire Wolves

Corpse Cart

Lords of Sacrament

That's 1850, giving you room for extra command points or extra models. Obviously the wound count is absurdly low, but what a magic phase! 8 Spells at +5 to cast, 3 spells at +4 to cast, and 4 spells at +2 to cast, all with +6" range. With the Umbral Spellportal you can set up the other end of the portal up to 42" away (the 6" range boost should apply to both parts of the spell) and just flood your opponent with magic. Of course, this might not work at all if the endless spells include a point cost or if you only get access to one "lore" for your entire army.

16 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

People shouldn't forget that balance problems need only interfere with tournament games. If you are facing a newer player in a "regular" game and he or she doesn't find it fun to play against Nagash... then don't field Nagash. 

I think we should all hold to that thought.... It would be good to get strong enough again to deal with the heavy cheese lists on tournaments, but on the other hand, we should never forget that even though we have hard combos and heavy lists, there is no need to play them outside of a tournament. Casual play should be fun for both players, so talk beforehanded what kind of game you want to do and if casual, keep it casual. All people will be happier this way ;)

Shooting preview's up:  https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/28/28th-may-rules-preview-shooting-in-combatgw-homepage-post-2/

The key bit

AoSShooting-May28-EnemyUnits4kq.jpg

As with the previously previewed 'look out sir' rule, and the slightly reduced chance of a double turn, this feels like a step in the right direction, but only a tiny baby step where a giant leap was needed.

We'll see how it plays out in practice.

Well, interesting wording for the shooting... not quite sure if it balances things, but at least you can protect your supporting heros with a brave charge!

and with the new edition, new filth will be collected in the dark pits, where high competitive cheese is being wrought. If death gets one, sho knows. FEC with unbound summoning can be interesting, Nagash fireworks... 

as i Said many times, interesting, let’s see what we get when the ink has dried  ;-D

Like the Look Out Sir addition I would prefer it to nothing, but it feels like not enough.

I will say though, that I play against an all shooting Storm Cast player, and his long range sniper crossbow guys that are the backbone of his army no longer can use their 'Headshot' rule to do mortal wounds to my heroes thanks to LoS.  Likewise, my Spirit Hosts don't mind taking the arrows from the Judicators he uses as his Battle Line.  With my spirit hosts charging in, my Cairn Wraiths will much more easily get to wade in for some fun instead of being peppered to death with all the shooting.

These changes are more than welcome enough to much more evenly balance his army against mine, although his scout Stormcasts with the bolt pistols and swords are going to continue to murder my Mourngul in one turn.  :S

57 minutes ago, Sception said:

artefacts preview is up.  some interesting stuff in there.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/30/30th-may-rules-preview-artefacts-of-the-realmsgw-homepage-post-2/

one thing bothers me, tho:

"Each of the seven Mortal Realms has..."

Aren't there 8 mortal realms?  Which realm gets left out with no artefacts?

Odd, I even quickly did the math and it seems like one is being left out.  There should be 96 artifacts according to their logic if there were 8 realms, so either the person who wrote the article was completely off in his math and made multiple mistakes, or one of the realms are being left out.

Maybe they are combining Shadow and Light, since in the map they sort of share a spinning disk.  They could likely make a few dual faceted artifacts to represent those paired realms.

*shrug*

Archived