Grots win 4 games at GWGT Heat 1

Skeekrit

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super cool to see such a cool and off-meta army do well at the Heat.

What are the heavy lifters in the army? I assume the 60 Grots, the War Machines and the Gargants?

How did you feel in terms of speed? Did you ever feel hindered by it?

Just super interested, as an old 8th edition Orcs and  Goblins army of mine is definitely a serious contender for the chopping block. But At the same time... I can't help but feel they're cool and have a soft spot for the more 'generic' fantasy armies. And I've got the War Machines, and coincidentally 60 Grots unassembled... Just trying to think whether or not it'd work with some Greenskinz or not. 

I'm guessing the Gargants (one of the pieces I have missing) are pretty crucial also in terms of being damage dealers.

A big congrats to your well fought battles! I wish i would have had the pleasure to meet you, if not on the table at least in person, fellow gargant player and all. Probably because i wasnt up by your player  ranking ever in the tournament. I bounced up to table 12 at one point, but tzeench gave me a knock back down to mid tables again. 

Love the army! I hope i get to see you at the GT finals in october. 

10 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Thanks for this. Any tips on playing fast enough to finish tournament games? I always take 3 hours.... 

The key is practice with horde armies, planning in your opponent's turn, and know your warscrolls.

• I have a good idea what I'm going to do in my hero and movement phase when I get the turn and only a few good Ravager rolls will change my mind.
  • I have played horde armies for a very long time though so I am quick at moving and playing them.
  • Finally I know the warscrolls for the Moonclan, Gitmob and artillery very well. This speeds up the game significantly.

6 hours ago, someone2040 said:

What are the heavy lifters in the army? I assume the 60 Grots, the War Machines and the Gargants?

The key is  most of it has something to do... even if it is just to die. The Grot Shamans are essential to the Gitmob, the Moonclan are very resilient and can push out damage (especially if damned), and the war machines are (normally) great due to their reach across a large portion of the board. The spider riders are resilient, even if they don't do huge damage. The Gargants are the only ones I am not certain of. I am going to swap them out for Sheffield and see if I can do any better.

Speed wasn't a problem but I've been playing horde armies for a very long time.

6 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Just super interested, as an old 8th edition Orcs and  Goblins army of mine is definitely a serious contender for the chopping block. But At the same time... I can't help but feel they're cool and have a soft spot for the more 'generic' fantasy armies. And I've got the War Machines, and coincidentally 60 Grots unassembled... Just trying to think whether or not it'd work with some Greenskinz or not. 

I'm guessing the Gargants (one of the pieces I have missing) are pretty crucial also in terms of being damage dealers.

I'll let you know on the Gargants. They didn't feel essential during the games at Heat 1, but I may be mis-remembering. Will find out during Sheffield although the Nurgle armies may change things a little!

41 minutes ago, meet.the.doctor said:

I am really happy that lil brothers are apearing on tournaments. This is going to be year of Goblins ...eerr grots ;)
We just need to wait for the first pump wagon to apear on a tournament!

I took one to Warhammer Achievements and it won me the tournament... of course that was because scratch built & technical paints - it is rubbish for the points but would probably take them again to a one dayer for a laugh.

21 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Meh, gargants are hit and miss. They are super fun, which is the reason i took one at heat1. They mostly perform well if your opponents ignore them and you can get them into a unit of 1 wound models, as well as a 5-6 wound character. With some flow you use the large stick and sack ability against the unit, and kick and eadbut into the character. That can do some significant damage to both. 

But as soon as someone looks at him wrong, he tumbles over like a turtle and have a chance to do d3 mortal wounds. His points cost is half a GUO :P, to put it into perspective... with no allegiance ability...

4 hours ago, Skeekrit said:

I have four, but struggle with fitting them in on the points!

I have 2 and that seems plenty! How did you look at 3 of them and think "hmmm, not enough arachnaroks" xD

I just experimented with a new moonclan list using the arachnarok as the general, giving him Hammerblade instead of the 4 goblin spears (which I think is legal...), and the allegiance trait that gives +1 to hit if wounded... and it wrecked through things just as much as with Spiderfang buffs! That Hammerblade seems too good to be true...

1 hour ago, Sheriff said:

I have 2 and that seems plenty! How did you look at 3 of them and think "hmmm, not enough arachnaroks" xD

I just experimented with a new moonclan list using the arachnarok as the general, giving him Hammerblade instead of the 4 goblin spears (which I think is legal...), and the allegiance trait that gives +1 to hit if wounded... and it wrecked through things just as much as with Spiderfang buffs! That Hammerblade seems too good to be true...

Yeah the Hammerblade is very cool on anything with a nice big base! 

15 hours ago, Sheriff said:

I had three for my 8th edition, 9th age army... picked up the 4th from a mate for AOS, and then I stopped playing 9th age!

3 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@Skeekrit - Well done Dec, great result. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Chris. Great to get feedback from one of the chief Warbosses!

Does remind me I haven't done game 4 and game 5 yet so onward:

Game 4 vs Seraphon (Starstrike - Major Win)

10 Saurus, 40 Saurus, 20 Skink, 2 Salamanders, Carnosaur, Foot Saurus Hero, Skink on Diadem, Slaan, Bastilidon

With starstrike against a Seraphon army I was expecting a quick first turn whilst we waited for the comets to land... not a bit of it my opponent barrelled straight ahead on my left flank (Sallies, Skink, Carnosaur) and teleported the Saurus to the right flank using the +1 to a dice roll to allow them to move. The Saurus then failed a 4" charge on my 20 Gitmob Grots and were left sitting watching the show. They would have definitely wiped them out and taken my left flank which (again) I had left a little unguarded. In my first turn a Giant got an extra 6" movement, as did the Gitmob although the Moonclan failed their mystic terrain. My right flank then went mad with the artillery and Grots killing the Carnosaur and the Sallies. On the right my Grots moved away from the Saurus.

In the second round the comet landed on my right (hurrah) and the Saurus teleported to attack my Gitmob, but just got bogged down. I was surprised how little damage they did, and the Grots just shrugged it off, and got a few sneaky prods in with their stikkas. My Giants then charged the Skinks (who retreated), and the Skink Handlers (who I failed to kill any of!), and my Grots on the left retreated from the Bastilidon.

The third turn had both comets land on the left... (ah!) and I had to rush to redeploy my Moonclan over to that end, who released their fanatics, whilst the remain Gitmob held onto the objective for a turn. On the right everyBalewind and had sniped my general to death. The artillery killed him in turn 4. In my opponents turn 4 he ran the Bastilidon back to claim his objective and used the small Saurus unit (now 5 due to artillery fire) to contest my objective. Unfortunately the Bastilidon (in range of the fanatics) rolled a double 1 for number of shots and only killed a single fanatic which allowed my to do enough damage to Saurus with Gitmob, Fanatics, and a Gigantic Spider who had got over there. It was all over in turn 4, and I spent turn 5 trying to clear up which included killing the Bastilidon after it failed almost every single armour save in turn 5!

Game 5 - Bonesplitterz - Battle for the Pass - Major Loss

30 Arrer Boyz, 30 Arrer Boyz, 10 Boyz, 10 Boyz, 6 Big Stabbas, Characters (sorry can't remember!), Kunning Rukk

I was on table 3 at this point have achieved 4 wins (having expected only 1, with a stretch goal of 2) ... and I was too timid. Worried by the damage the 2x30 Arrer Boyz could do on the first turn I set up back near my home objective with a single unit of 20 grots forward to grab an objective. He gave my the first turn and I did that, but not much else, meaning there was little pressure. The artillery was useless all game - poor rolling for me and good 6+ save rolling for him.

The small Gitmob unit survived one round of shooting from one of the units (he used the movement in the hero phase to ensure the objective), whilst the other one ran to ensure the objective. However there weren't enough to contest the objective, and by then I was behind. He won the priority turn 2, and put me into play again (he won all 4 priority rolls, so I would probably have been shot to death if I went aggressive anyway!), and I advanced a long way with the Moonclan to try to put some pressure on and (mistake 2...) left the Gitmob archers behind!

The Moonclan killed a unit of 10 Bonesplitterz and engaged a unit of Arrer Boyz but could wear them down quickly enough taking 15 wounds in the hero phase, then in the shooting phase despite having 3+ save vs shooting. (ouch!). Once it was clear the Moonclan couldn't break through on their own and I started to engage with the Giants and Gitmob bows it was far too late to recover it. We only got to 4 turns due to the rolling requirements of the Kunning Rukk (army was slow, the player played it as quickly as he could)

Then came the wait for the results, and I had qualified with 22nd place! Really very happy with this as a final result as didn't expect qualification.

Now onto the Sheffield Slaughter this weekend where I am playing Nurgle first game (gotta get the practice in somehow).

Sheffield Slaughter List

For those interested the new list is:

• Gigantic Spider (General, Ravager)
  • Gigantic Spider (Battle Brew)
  • Gigantic Spider
  • Gigantic Spider
  • Gitmob Grot Shaman
  • Gitmob Grot Shaman
  • 60 Moonclan
  • 60 Gitmob (Bows)
  • 60 Gitmob (Spears)
  • 2 Spear Chukkas
  • 2 Rock Lobbers

Lets see if I can cope without the Giants!

@Skeekrit - Good luck this weekend Dec! I had a solid performance at the Slaughter last year (4/5 wins) so hopefully you can fly the Destruction flag for us. This is where I'll start to plummet down the rankings as I'm not really doing many tournaments this year :S - That Best Ironjawz icon will finally be up for grabs ;) 

Please do keep this thread updated following the event. Perhaps change the title and make a bit of a log of it? Always great to read someone finding success with Destruction, especially as your lists are so off the wall and interesting.

Hopefully I will be able to start playing and indeed posting more myself in the coming month or so.

4 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@Skeekrit - Good luck this weekend Dec! I had a solid performance at the Slaughter last year (4/5 wins) so hopefully you can fly the Destruction flag for us. This is where I'll start to plummet down the rankings as I'm not really doing many tournaments this year :S - That Best Ironjawz icon will finally be up for grabs ;) 

Please do keep this thread updated following the event. Perhaps change the title and make a bit of a log of it? Always great to read someone finding success with Destruction, especially as your lists are so off the wall and interesting.

Hopefully I will be able to start playing and indeed posting more myself in the coming month or so.

It'll be gret to see you back in 2019! Good idea on the change of name. I'll do on my return from Sheffield.

Unfortunately, I didn't do very well last year (58th) after losing my first game against Skyre and getting worse from there. I think this army is much better though so fingers crossed. I'm against a Nurgle army first with (I think) 3 GUOs commanded by Ben Johnson. Hopefully I won't disgrace myself... or set myself up for a good submarine. I'd be happy with 3 wins though.

14 minutes ago, Skeekrit said:

It'll be gret to see you back in 2019! Good idea on the change of name. I'll do on my return from Sheffield.

Unfortunately, I didn't do very well last year (58th) after losing my first game against Skyre and getting worse from there. I think this army is much better though so fingers crossed. I'm against a Nurgle army first with (I think) 3 GUOs commanded by Ben Johnson. Hopefully I won't disgrace myself... or set myself up for a good submarine. I'd be happy with 3 wins though.

Good luck!  We still need to have that game btw :D

Sheffield Slaughter battle reports

Sheffield Slaughter has now been running for 21 years with Dragon Slayers (and particularly Adie & Pete) knocking it out of the park again. We were all in one room which was great as well (I felt a little lost in terms of atmosphere last year as my Destruction army was caught in the bottom room (58/70). However this time was great fun, got to play some great guys (and gals) and enjoyed (almost) every minute of it... there's only so many times you can smile at the Kunning Rukk dices 

(Just quick note: I don't name my opponents because my view is a one player view and I may miss things or mis-represent them in error. So I refer to them all by 'he'. If they want to identify themselves then no problem. )

Army List can be seen above but quickly:

4 Gigantic Spiders, Battle Brew on one; 2 Gitmob Grot Shaman; 60 Moonclan Spears; 60 Gitmob Spears; 60 Gitmob Bows; 2 Rock Lobbers; 2 Spear Chukkas

Game 1 - Total Conquest - Nurgle - Major Win

2 GUO, GOU character, 30 Plague Bearers, 30 Plague Bearers, 10 Plague Bearers, Slug guy

This was a grudge following on from Warhammer Achievements and a great way for me to practice against the Nurgle.  Total Conquest is best to start with otherwise the deployment hurts my head. We had 3 mystical terrain features in one deployment zone and none in the other, so naturally I went for the mystical. It can really improve the Grot shooting and I find the downside normally not too damaging. On the left I had the Gitmob Spears, centre was Bows, and right was Moonclan, whilst my opponent deployed most of his army on my left, near one of the new trees, and held a unit of 10 to capture the objective on my right (his 'thin' deployment area.

Nurgle went first, and they are quick! Unit of 30 on my right immediately charged my 60 Gitmob spears, whilst the magic (and wheel) killed one Chukka crew and 3 of a Rock Lobber crew... (he did the same turn 2). His other unit of 30 stayed in the centre to give options on the other objectives, Horticulus took the 'safe' objective and the GUO marched forward. The Gitmob spears held against the Plaguebearers and killed a few in return. My first turn advance on my right with some spiders. One spider joined the Gitmob spears in combat, and the artillery shot off some plaguebearers. The spears stayed again, and I gained 2 points.  The Gitmob archers also killed some plaguebearers from the central 30 unit. (2-3)

I won the next priority and the moonclan captured the objective and more of the plaguebearers were shot. Having got the objective the Moonclan charged the central plaguebeares trapping them in combat and doing a fair chunk of damage.  I had lost the objective on my thin side at this point due to goblin losses, but still scored 2 points and had put some pressure on. Nurgle sniped off more of the artillery and gained 2 points whilst the unit of 10 hid and the GUO threw some magic about (4-5)

Nurgle won the next priority and went first, but the combats were proving difficult for him to munch through, and even with the GUOs joining in the fun they couldn't kill enough of the Moonclan to prevent me keeping that objective. In my turn the archers killed a GUO (mystic, Sneaky stabbin, Damned) and the spiders charged another GUO. They did a little damage, but the GUO failed to kill them. I gained 3, as the plaguebearers on my left lost more of their number and dropped below 20. (7-7)

4th turn was the key priority roll and I got it, going first and finishing off another GUO whilst running away with the Grots on the left (plaguebearers now on 4 models) leaving the spider in combat with them. The archers killed the 2nd GUO and the Moonclan chose not to charge (to save their numbers). Nurgle fought back hard in their 4th turn and almost killed enough moonclan (I had one more than him on the right objective at turn end after battleshock), and Horticulus killed the last of the spear Grots. The archer Grots were also in combat with a GUO and were smashed all over the place. Fortunately, Nurgle only gained 1 point, so 10-8.

5th turn I just held on with enough models in the right places (and some retreating). Very, very close game. Nurgle are very fast, and lots of wounds. Stars were the Grot Gitmob with bows... lots of damage when tooled up

Game 2 - Tzeentch - Duality - Major Loss

Balewind Vortex, Gaunt Summoner, Changeling, Skyfire hero, 6 Skyfires, 3 Skyfires, 6 Combat disc guys, 20 Maurauders, 10 Maurauders, 10 Maurauders

I knew I was in trouble here. The Gaunt Summoner on Balewind kills 30 gobbos a time + battleshock, and the Skyfires can snipe my artillery off the board stopping me killing his heroes. The narrow deployments also means I can escape the range of the Gaunt Summoner (or reduce it's effectiveness), and my artillery can't hide... Turn 1 went as I expected, with Tzeentch going first, killing one Chukka crew, and one Thrower crew, reducing my bow Grots to 20 models and charging with all the disc guys... ouch! In my turn the Moonclan fought back against the Skyfires and killed the unit of 3 and 3 from the larger unit, whilst one spider approached the changeling on his objective. A charge later and the changeling was dead (mostly artillery really), and I had at least 1 point.

Turn 2 Tzeentch won the priority roll and altered reality to bring back 3 Skyfires... shot off the artillery, and continued to kill the Grots. This was almost certainly where I lost the game, although I may have had a chance turn 3 as well (when I lost priority). This meant I was 1 point behind all game, and no reach to kill his Skyfire hero. Not helped when 4 of the combat skyfires came back (alter reality again) so I effective fought 2,700 points during the game.

The rest of the turns were me trying to get near the second character and losing everything that came close. I think I would have had a better chance with a more 'normal' deployment so the Gaunt couldn't guarantee getting all my army. Also the fact the Changeling couldn't deploy in my deployment zone, so moved 'as near as possible' and took the objective for one turn... !

If I were to play that again, I would trust my Spiders to kill the Changeling on their own and fired the artillery at the Skyfire hero. Maybe forced the Gaunt Summoner to dispel his Balewind... or win the 2nd priority roll :)

Game 3 - Bonesplitterz - Battle for the Pass - Major Loss

3 shamans, 1 general, 3 x 30 Arrerboyz, 2 x 10 Arrerboyz, Kunning Rukk...

... sigh - see Game 5 of the GWGT Heat 1. Battle for the pass is very difficult for me against this as it can kill 90 Grots a turn with relative ease and I can't get close.

I did give him the side with a large piece of mystical terrain, which he failed once turn 1. (However, this isn't enough!) This time I think I played much better than my last game GWGT as I decided to deploy on my 24" line and go for it. Unfortunately, I only succeeded in one 'Destroyers' roll, which left my opponent to pick off one unit, and murder 20 Moonclan, and then he got Priority into turn 2... game over unfortuantely and we called it at end of turn 2 (8-8 score) with me having virtually no army left.

I do think I played better though and attacking made me happier than sitting back and slowly losing, but Battle for the Pass seems to be a really good mission for the Rukk as they attack on such a narrow front. I think if it were another mission I could come close, but with BftP I need the second turn, and a lot of luck.

Like at the GWGT my opponent knew his army well, had 90 dice ready for each unit and played as quickly as he could. But high hitting, with exploding hits and severed tails (*) meant I couldn't get near him.

(* - This is what I call a tail of a unit created to be within x" of a character which most players do (including me). However when the Orruk near the general is 9" away from the rest of the unit due to casualty removal and the whole unit gets the buff it's a little frustrating - perfectly fine in the rules so no complaint against the player... I just wish it weren't allowed)

Archived