Let´s Talk Skyre

Xanax Lot

I've only ever ran mine up the board, but I only did that once and they never got in range. I wonder myself if it's worth it to grinder teleport them, but I feel like 2 doomflayers+grinder ends up being about the same. I trust that I'll be more likely to get that 9" charge than I am to wait a turn to do 4d3 MW's. Curious to see what others think since I'm clearly no expert.

For 1k I generally use 2 stormfiend (3 warpfire and 3 shock gauntlets), 3 mortars and an Arch Warlock+Packmaster. Sometimes I'll drop a stormfiend unit for 40 clanrats, 1x5 Acolytes, 3 mortars and an engineer/Packmaster (or balewind, but I try not to be that guy in a 1k game). I prefer the first since at 1k many people in my local area don't pack many 20-40 man units at 1k to slow down the fiends at all, and if they do the 3 mortars can take care of that.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tend to agree that not all the kit-outs of fiends seem worth bothering with.

I hope that is something they improve when Skryre see an update, I'd like to be torn for choice choosing weapon options for them.
One way i thought they could do it is give the unit a bonus if they all take the same weapon
e.g.  3 out of 3 ratling cannons = special rule "Braced weapons Platform" If the unit didnt move this turn they all brace themselves and overcharge their cannons. Each fiend does an extra D6 attacks when the shoot.

e.g. 3 out of 3 doomflayer gauntlets = the unit may charge 3D6. Worth deepstriking with this?

I think acolytes are worth mentioining.

i have used them to good effect provided you have meatshields. 2x units of 10 whittled down an ironjawz army whilst my clanrats + inspiring presence held up way too many ardboyz and brutes by retreating and charging back into them to minimise frontages whilst the acolytes gassed them to death.

They are also a very fragile expensive unit if your opponent has sufficient ranged damage options... like bastilidons with lasers! I had a unit of 30 wiped off the board in 1 shooting phase due to 2 of these targetting them.

8 minutes ago, Nikobot said:

Tend to agree that not all the kit-outs of fiends seem worth bothering with.

I hope that is something they improve when Skryre see an update, I'd like to be torn for choice choosing weapon options for them.
One way i thought they could do it is give the unit a bonus if they all take the same weapon
e.g.  3 out of 3 ratling cannons = special rule "Braced weapons Platform" If the unit didnt move this turn they all brace themselves and overcharge their cannons. Each fiend does an extra D6 attacks when the shoot.

e.g. 3 out of 3 doomflayer gauntlets = the unit may charge 3D6. Worth deepstriking with this?

I think acolytes are worth mentioining.

i have used them to good effect provided you have meatshields. 2x units of 10 whittled down an ironjawz army whilst my clanrats + inspiring presence held up way too many ardboyz and brutes by retreating and charging back into them to minimise frontages whilst the acolytes gassed them to death.

They are also a very fragile expensive unit if your opponent has sufficient ranged damage options... like bastilidons with lasers! I had a unit of 30 wiped off the board in 1 shooting phase due to 2 of these targetting them.

They would at least have to include every weapon option for every fiend in each box. I still dislike the fact we need to do conversions and/or buy 3 boxes just to have 1 full set of the same fiends.

2 minutes ago, Kugane said:

They would at least have to include every weapon option for every fiend in each box. I still dislike the fact we need to do conversions and/or buy 3 boxes just to have 1 full set of the same fiends.

That's true, so may not be viable, but it seems reasonably accepted to convert/buy multiples in the case of fiends.

Thematically, I do think they seem to make more sense as a unit being equipped with the same weapons, such as 3x fiends being part of Gautfyre enginecoven and all being equipped with warpfire throwers... that makes sense, as opposed to a hodge podge of options.

Either way, lets hope they get better! I feel they have lost some of their fearsomeness as more battletomes have been released. As one of Skryre's greatest creations, they deserve the ability to strike fear into  the hearts of all opponents!

2 minutes ago, Nikobot said:

That's true, so may not be viable, but it seems reasonably accepted to convert/buy multiples in the case of fiends.

Thematically, I do think they seem to make more sense as a unit being equipped with the same weapons, such as 3x fiends being part of Gautfyre enginecoven and all being equipped with warpfire throwers... that makes sense, as opposed to a hodge podge of options.

Either way, lets hope they get better! I feel they have lost some of their fearsomeness as more battletomes have been released. As one of Skryre's greatest creations, they deserve the ability to strike fear into  the hearts of all opponents!

I agree. I bought my fiends during the time when warpfire projectors were THE weapon choice. Ended up stripping a thanquol of his projectors to convert my other 2 fiends haha. I still remember the dissapointment opening the box and only having 1 set of. I suppose GW could just include an extra sprue with some extra bits. It shouldn't take too long to design, considering that all the weapon options are already designed and just need to be made to fit with existing parts.

7 minutes ago, Kugane said:

I agree. I bought my fiends during the time when warpfire projectors were THE weapon choice. Ended up stripping a thanquol of his projectors to convert my other 2 fiends haha. I still remember the dissapointment opening the box and only having 1 set of. I suppose GW could just include an extra sprue with some extra bits. It shouldn't take too long to design, considering that all the weapon options are already designed and just need to be made to fit with existing parts.

Unfortunately if they never bothered to do that kind of stuff in 40k, I doubt they'll do it for AoS.

2 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Unfortunately if they never bothered to do that kind of stuff in 40k, I doubt they'll do it for AoS.

I wish they would let us legally create molds for bits in that case haha. I remember a very long time ago (10 or 15 years I think) when GW would actually post tips on the warhammer forum to teach how to make a mini mold to reproduce your own bits (for personal use) for conversions.

2 minutes ago, Kugane said:

I wish they would let us legally create molds for bits in that case haha. I remember a very long time ago (10 or 15 years I think) when GW would actually post tips on the warhammer forum to teach how to make a mini mold to reproduce your own bits (for personal use) for conversions.

Short of advertising/promoting it, you can pretty much do it and use replicated bits can't you?

Scavenging Thanquol would have had visually impressive results if a little expensive! respect though :)

15 minutes ago, Nikobot said:

Short of advertising/promoting it, you can pretty much do it and use replicated bits can't you?

Scavenging Thanquol would have had visually impressive results if a little expensive! respect though :)

According to the law in the EU it is a bit more complicated as far as I am aware you can not do that. The law concerning copying things like sculptures is different then the law concerning, for example, making a copy of a DVD/CD or a book for personal use. I personally feel uncomfortable breaking the law even for something as simple as making a duplicate of a bit, and the discomfort just isn't worth it for me.

I was able to get the thanquol at 50% off, so was able to scavange that kit for a lot of stuff for conversions. Thanquol is now a Skaven warlord on brood horror xD

34 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

More of a general inquiry, are the Skryre EngineCovens any good? 

In general they seem to have a cheap Warscroll cost? Are there ones that would want to avoid?

Do they behave like Warscroll Battalions in regards to Artefacts for Matched Play?

You need 2-5 enginecovens per 1 battalion, so you would only get 1 extra artefact for running 1 battalion, not 1 per coven. In general, my experience in 2k is that they are hit or miss and I think Whyrlblade is outright terrible. The rest are good but at that point value it just feels...constrictive? At 2.5k go all out, but I seem to do better without them at 2k and having a ton of extra points towards more jezzails, mortars, etc.

All in all I stick with gascloud, rattlegauge or arkhspark. Gautfyre has it's place as well, but most people know it's a one trick pony and can punish you accordingly.

2 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

2-5 enginecovens per 1 battalion

Ahh... so they’re not treated like the mini-battalions and wrapped into the huge mega battalion.

Can you take Enginecovens standalone outside of the Skryre Battalion? (They have points? Or is that merely to calculate the cost in the Battalion? I didn’t see a faq for it.)

6 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Ahh... so they’re not treated like the mini-battalions and wrapped into the huge mega battalion.

Can you take Enginecovens standalone outside of the Skryre Battalion? (They have points? Or is that merely to calculate the cost in the Battalion? I didn’t see a faq for it.)

Nope, you have to take them in a battalion. So for example, gascloud+arkhspark is 100 points (50 each) then another 100 for the battalion, for 200 total points.

When you chose not to use enginecovens at 2k because of the cost, what do you take instead to make the 200-400points worth?

Also, is it acceptable to model the stormfiends with one weapon of each (like warpfirr in one hand andwind launcher in the other) in order to keep the choices open and have more spare bits to use (eg put the extra flamethrower on another stormfiend like grinder + warpfire) ? Would it be an acceptable practice?

Thanks

Usually I just use more mortars (4-5 total) and take 9-12 jezzails instead of the 6 I take with rattlegauge since vigordusting them still works well enough to get those MW's on 5+ that I can't get with rattlegauge shooting anyway. I'll use a packmaster if I'm doing shock gauntlets, and I may drop a mortar or some jezzails to take a balewind if I need to.

As for the modeling, personally I would say no since at the very least the warscroll says they are armed with "sets" of a given weapon and not just one, and how would you handle what units get warp-laced armor for the extra wound since it depends on the weapon set they have? I guarantee it wouldn't be allowed in tournaments either, since you're mixing weapons on one model. Having one stormfiend count as both a grinder and something else wouldn't be fair, even if you're technically getting less attacks on a weapon. If you just mean modeling them with each and just proxying what they count as between the two weapons then I suppose that's just up to you and your opponent, but still a no-go in big tournaments.

7 hours ago, Num said:

When you chose not to use enginecovens at 2k because of the cost, what do you take instead to make the 200-400points worth?

Also, is it acceptable to model the stormfiends with one weapon of each (like warpfirr in one hand andwind launcher in the other) in order to keep the choices open and have more spare bits to use (eg put the extra flamethrower on another stormfiend like grinder + warpfire) ? Would it be an acceptable practice?

Thanks

I would reccomend not mixing them on the same model. I and the people I play are pretty forgiving about proxies, but I think that having them mixed would be more confusing than other ways of proxying. And would prevent you from attending some events with that army if you ever wanted to.

When I have proxied with my stormfeinds, I try to follow a rule that applies to all of them. For example, all the ranged weapons are warpfire throwers, or the each unit only has one weapon that is the majority of what is modeled. 

I stopped bringing the battalion and used the points for 40 clanrats, mortars, and packmaster. I have generally found that having the points for units to hold down units while I blast them.

I never really used the battalion, since it cost a fortune.

but I’m thinking to use it at least ones against a friends of mine, who plays stormcast and Blades of khorne .

I don’t really see the covens very useful because of its pointcost.

But than again I never really played

a real skyre only army with some allies. After all it seems wrong to me that skyre joined in to the fight without any clanrats, slaves and stormvermins as a Battleline option.

and secondly it makes no sense fluff wise (if there still is some kind of a fluff existing out there for the skaven race), that skyre fights alone with only their best bodys the stormfiends 

I agree. In 1k games I've been running 2 Stormfiend units and it works well against armies that don't run big blocks, otherwise I drop one and add in a 40 clanrat screen with mortars and Acolytes behind. I do like having some deepstriking units somewhere in any list and I've had good success with gutter runners previously. Sometimes I run a list with 3x10 acolytes and it's pretty funny to see your opponents face after they delete any unit that got too close.

I've found that many of my local players are aggressive with charges and placement, and that's made it easy for me to deal with so long as your screen holds. Just try experimenting with 9-12 jezzails and at least 3-5 mortars without a battalion at 2k and you may have better luck. I certainly have.

Going to be (hopefully) playing my very first Skryre game on Friday. Not sure who against yet, but of my available models (not very many), I have come up with the following:

Allegiance: Skryre

Leaders
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Scavenger 
- Artefact: Esoteric Warp Resonator 
Warlock Engineer (100)

Battleline
3 x Stormfiends (300)
10 x Skryre Acolytes (120)

Units
1 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (70)
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
- Allies

War Machines
Doomwheel (130)

Total: 980 / 1000
Allies: 120 / 200
Wounds: 70

Fingers crossed!

Apparently not. Never mind, it didn't get to fire anyway! Neither did the Acolytes, who were butchered to a rat by Seekers on the first turn (the others were cut to pieces by the Masque of Slaanesh). The Doomwheel was ineffective against the aforementioned Seekers, who regenerated all their losses over three battleshock phases until they tore it apart. Dismayed but not surprised by their army's horrifying uselessness, the Arch-Warlock and Warlock Engineer gobbled warpstone aplenty and, together with the Stormfiends, blasted their way through the entire Slaanesh army. By the end, the field was empty save for a single Stormfiend and the Warlock Engineer, who heroically assumed command.

For my first game of Age of Sigmar, that's not too bad I think! Some better positioning on my part would have yielded a more decisive victory- as it was, too many units were charged before I thought they would be. Part of that is how disgustingly fast Slaanesh is, I think. Anyway, a win is a win- there are always more underlings, after all!

Thanks for the battle report ! :)

TThe warscroll of the warpfire can be found, I think, in the chaos book. Personally, I kept a copy of the old compendium and use that (because its rules have not changed). I suppose you could alsobwait for AoS version 2 because they may change some warscrolls

Archived