Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

5 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Over the weekend I realized how great it is that Gnarlmaws drop at the end of the movement phase. I forgot to drop them a couple times, but when you don't, they can simply be put wherever something that ran is. 

I did this quite often. Its such a great utility for us now. Running up your units THEN dropping the tree after they ran. Certainly surprises your opponent as well "Oh Hey these guys are gonna charge you now since theres a tree here that wasn't 5 seconds ago! " Love it!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harbinger has still the benefit of being a 50% wound increase for every Nurgle unit within 7". Just stretch out the units so that a single model is in range for his ability and you are good to go. 

However there are some issues with cyst lists since you always bring gutrot and you play a more spread force. Then it becomes a Nice addition, a hard to kill lord with a good 4+ vs spell and an ok damage output. Also this means that the list is less affected by his death, and this is a good thing. Plaguetouched literally crumbles without the harbinger's 5++ since his units do so little damage and they are all about tankiness.

Still there is no better general to take. Giving a 5 BK 31.5 effective wounds is just insane for 160 points.

GG for the result mate! Like your list, glad the lop did Well for you :)

8 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Over the weekend I realized how great it is that Gnarlmaws drop at the end of the movement phase. I forgot to drop them a couple times, but when you don't, they can simply be put wherever something that ran is. 

Yeah their timing is excellent. One of the reasons why I feel they are also really awesome remains that they are LoS blocking pieces you can put there. That aspect is more helpful as any of it's additional rules in my opinion.

Because what it leads to is that support in Nurgle armies is actually rather difficult to thake out. Most spells need LoS, most shooting needs LoS and you get the "movement bonus" to really never have it stand in the way.

One interesting thing I am very much looking forward to see is the moment when more Nurgle players will have their up to date Nurgle army ready. The more I continue to think about GUO + Rotigus lists the more I like it.

18 minutes ago, Killax said:

Yeah their timing is excellent. One of the reasons why I feel they are also really awesome remains that they are LoS blocking pieces you can put there. That aspect is more helpful as any of it's additional rules in my opinion.

Because what it leads to is that support in Nurgle armies is actually rather difficult to thake out. Most spells need LoS, most shooting needs LoS and you get the "movement bonus" to really never have it stand in the way.

One thing I noticed is that people really worked hard to stay out of 3" of a tree, especially that first one you put down. That subtle psychology, at least for a little while, is an advantage too. 

My first tree always went down in the middle of the table. I considered more nuanced deployment for it in games, but it always ended up in the middle. Any thoughts on placing tree #1?

7 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

One thing I noticed is that people really worked hard to stay out of 3" of a tree, especially that first one you put down. That subtle psychology, at least for a little while, is an advantage too. 

My first tree always went down in the middle of the table. I considered more nuanced deployment for it in games, but it always ended up in the middle. Any thoughts on placing tree #1?

Nah seems like the best place to do it and affect the army with.

Same as for example running Festus directly behind a near-center GUO for LoS blocking purposes and reaction flexability on opponents movement. 

2 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Yeah, this combo is insane. Blades + GUO command trait + Locus on 6 drones is epic. I mentioned this earlier, but I was able to use this combo to 1 hit a 40 block of Marauders last weekend. 

I had 6 drones (accompanied by daemon prince) wiped out by 1 unit of ironjawz Brutes (obviously the wrong matchup for me) and they did 1 wound total back, so I've been put off them, but i imagine against regular battleline units they can do a lot of damage. 

Has anyone played with Glottkin since the GUO came out? (I know people have said GUO is better point for point in theory) I know the GUO is great, but Glottkin's magic is great and his command ability  is bubble, not single unit. My original pre-tome list had him as commander, but I'm unsure now. 

8 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I had 6 drones (accompanied by daemon prince) wiped out by 1 unit of ironjawz Brutes (obviously the wrong matchup for me) and they did 1 wound total back, so I've been put off them, but i imagine against regular battleline units they can do a lot of damage. 

Has anyone played with Glottkin since the GUO came out? (I know people have said GUO is better point for point in theory) I know the GUO is great, but Glottkin's magic is great and his command ability  is bubble, not single unit. My original pre-tome list had him as commander, but I'm unsure now. 

I used him all through last year with great success and he's even better now for 2 reasons.

1. His new -1 to hit ability for enemies within 7" when you exceed their bravery characteristic on 2 dice is fantastic. 

2. His ability to cast twice got a huge upgrade with the new spells available.

He's still pretty squishy with only a 4+ save ,but as long as you play smart and keep him out of range of your enemies in the early turns he will almost always survive.

He's arguably the best support character we have.

3 minutes ago, Krieger said:

I used him all through last year with great success and he's even better now for 2 reasons.

1. His new -1 to hit ability for enemies within 7" when you exceed their bravery characteristic on 2 dice is fantastic. 

2. His ability to cast twice got a huge upgrade with the new spells available.

He's still pretty squishy with only a 4+ save ,but as long as you play smart and keep him out of range of your enemies in the early turns he will almost always survive.

He's arguably the best support character we have.

Thanks, good to know! He's particularly expensive for me because I ordered all the custom foam for my force a month before the tome came out, so my list is now not really the best, but I really want to keep him in. I was thinking his abilities, with 40 marauders would be excellent. 80 attacks with 5+ hit rolls being mortal wounds should be able to take anything out.

11 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Thanks, good to know! He's particularly expensive for me because I ordered all the custom foam for my force a month before the tome came out, so my list is now not really the best, but I really want to keep him in. I was thinking his abilities, with 40 marauders would be excellent. 80 attacks with 5+ hit rolls being mortal wounds should be able to take anything out.

Ya that's a great offensive combo. ?

I also like running 30 plaguebearers as a defensive combo for locking down objectives.  While hoping for a successful cast of Fleshy Abundance and Blades of Putrefaction.

24 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Yeah don't worry about it. As mentioned some pages ago, he will work fine for you if you bring the hordes. Though if you are going for a more Daemonic or Blightking heavy route I believe other choices, specifically GUO becomes better.

The difference isn't that massive, you can even consider running both. So your swarms will be spead up and all. Multitudes of 40 Marauder blocks and/or Plague Monks make it work out more than allright. 

Myvarea is starting a slow grow league and i am trying to decide between maggotkin and sylvaneth. Both have their pros and cons (with neither i like the additional terrain all that much, with sylvaneth i dislike dryads a lot, and with maggotkin i dont mind any of the models but there are fewer i go WOW at.

That said, can people explain me the difference between the two armies, in how they play mostly.

And, something more relevant to this thread, if i were to run a guo with bell as general but otherwise focus on blightkings. Would you run pusgoyles or plague drones? Why?

Well if you don't like the look of the models you won't enjoy your hobby time or play time. If you don't enjoy sylvaneth or Nurgle, why wouldn't you pick something else?

well since he GUO command ability doesn't affect the bligjtkings, I would say plague drones would be a welcome recipient of that gift and do very well on the flank. Pusygoyle would also benefit from that command ability as they have the demon and Nurgle keywords, but the effect wouldn't be as drastic in them as they have fewer weapon profiles. They work best in an affliction cyst with the lord of afflictions giving them battleline and allowing them to "deep strike"

14 hours ago, Killax said:

Yeah don't worry about it. As mentioned some pages ago, he will work fine for you if you bring the hordes. Though if you are going for a more Daemonic or Blightking heavy route I believe other choices, specifically GUO becomes better.

To be honest I've been underwhelmed by the blightkings. Unless super buffed, they just don't seem to do much. For 5 of them, 15 attacks at 3+3+ with no rend, 1 damage isn't that great. On avergae you'll get an extra 2d6 extra attacks, but is still doesn't seem to do much . Against anything but units with no save/6+ save, marauders or plaguebearers with Blades of Putrefaction have better damage output (marauders) or better resilience (plaguebearers). I'm really loving plaguebearers, so maybe I'm not seeing the BK strengths or how to really play them

So how do allies work with Nurgle soup(or any chaos god keyword soup) armies work with allies? Apologies if the answer is in the book and was planning to buy models before I buy it (I don't have it yet as my Nurgle focus since the new releases have all been 40k focused). One plan I had was to run some Gors dressed up like pestigors as allies, but it occurs to me that it would only work while allowing the new Nurgle allegiance stuff(and Blightkings as battleline) if I ran pure Rotbringers, or pure daemons, or even pure StD with all Nurgle marks. I don't have any of the Chaos books(this filling out my first Chaos army aside from so skirmish warbands and a mostly unused skaven half of Spire of Dawn), so I don't know if there's any kind of "workaround" for these meta allegiances that are drawn from other allegiances. Most people I play with would probably be cool with it since they can ally with those factions individually(until I add some Pestilens in), but I really hate being "that guy" that asks for a rules exception every game.

So, in a list with 3 GuO models (1 FW and 2 new boys) which of the following would you guys recommend:

1. 3 Regular GUOs in a Thricefold Befoulment formation
  2. 2 Regular GUOS and 1 E.GUO
  3. 2 Regular GUOS and 1 E.GUO in a Thricefold Befoulment formation (unsure if this is allowed, but RAW it should be?)
  4. Something else.

13 minutes ago, Zen said:

So, in a list with 3 GuO models (1 FW and 2 new boys) which of the following would you guys recommend:

1. 3 Regular GUOs in a Thricefold Befoulment formation
  2. 2 Regular GUOS and 1 E.GUO
  3. 2 Regular GUOS and 1 E.GUO in a Thricefold Befoulment formation (unsure if this is allowed, but RAW it should be?)
  4. Something else.

Is the FW mandatory? 

If so, I'd go:
- Exalted GUO (General + Artefact)
- GUO (Bell/Flail)
- Rotigus 
- No Battalion

But in reality I'd go with regular GUO first, then Rotigus then Exalted GUO. The Exalted is a nice beatstick, doesn't seem overcosted but the Bell is just so amazing it's hard to skip on and justify it. You turn an otherwise slow army to a very fast army. As mentioned elsewhere I use two Bloodstokers to get similar results so no matter how you look at it the bell alone does the work of "160 points support".

On 1/29/2018 at 11:30 AM, DynamicCalories said:

I thought that was the case. I used it on a 3 unit Drones to off his Vandus Hammerhand, it also helped my Plaguebearers do something other than standing around looking sad :D

Those PBs are even better than before..... you can buff them multiple ways and also use them as a spell locus ala the heralds spell. Pretty nasty actually.

On 1/31/2018 at 2:13 AM, Husserl said:

Is anyone else a little frustrated by the options for a General, especially for daemons? What are the choices, GUO or GUO?

Seems ok to me. Why would you want to take anything else?

58 minutes ago, Killax said:

Is the FW mandatory? 

If so, I'd go:
- Exalted GUO (General + Artefact)
- GUO (Bell/Flail)
- Rotigus 
- No Battalion

But in reality I'd go with regular GUO first, then Rotigus then Exalted GUO. The Exalted is a nice beatstick, doesn't seem overcosted but the Bell is just so amazing it's hard to skip on and justify it. You turn an otherwise slow army to a very fast army. As mentioned elsewhere I use two Bloodstokers to get similar results so no matter how you look at it the bell alone does the work of "160 points support".

The Exalted GUO is not mandatory no, just wondering whether he's worth it over the batallion.

Seems like the consensus is that the batallion is not worth it?

41 minutes ago, Zen said:

The Exalted GUO is not mandatory no, just wondering whether he's worth it over the batallion.

Seems like the consensus is that the batallion is not worth it?

Well it depends on how you want to play. Barring the one who improves Rend on Blightkings (leading to a low drop also) Id say commonly speaking (Tzeentch and Khorne have the same) going 'mono' Greater Daemons just removes more tactical flexability as it adds.

From the top of my head the Battalion is 110? 500+340+340 is close to 1300 points in big guys? 

Its still very hard to remove but Id see trouble appear in holding objectives amongst a less optimized ability to hunt down key units with Drones...

Going to be playing a game tomorrow. Not sure of the opponent but I like that. I don't necessarily tailoring a list to a specific opponent or army.

I want to try a gimmick. Stacking to hit debuffs. I want to see how far I can take this and see how it goes. I also want to test out glotkin as the general and see how that goes. So that bit probably won't change.  Big unit of blightkings go with spume in his poop ship. LoP is a cheap hero to buff blightkings and fill out the battalion. Also carrion dirge will help glotkins horrific opponent to hit debuff. Bilepiper is there because I had 100 points left over. Thought of nurglings....but I had an extra artifact to take and thought witherstave would continue the to hit debuff. He also helps reduce bravery from glotkins to hit debuff.

Allegiance: Nurgle
Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- General
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
- Lore of Foulness: Magnificent Buboes

Bloab Rotspawned (260)
- Lore of Malignance: Gift of Contagion
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall

Gutrot Spume (140)

Lord of Plagues (140)
- Artefact: The Carrion Dirge  

Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle(100)
- Artefact: The Witherstave  

Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
- Nurgle Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
- Nurgle Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
- Nurgle Battleline
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Battalions
Plaguetouched Warband (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 169

I'm actually trying to put a list with the Glottkin and a Guo together, to make a half mortal half demon army. I do love your -X to hit all around though. I might try something similar.

It's a shame you need the 2nd artifact, Festus would be good to heal the hits that will get through and would make you even more hard to kill, while providing Rend against high-armor units. Dont know if you should reduce the 10x blightkings to get more points, but you would lose the punch and distraction it does provide.

My list would go like this:

Glottkin ( General ) Blades

Guo Bell, bileblade ( Endless Gift ) Pox or the others, not sure which spells fits him better

Gutrot Spume

Daemon Prince

5x Blightkings

30x Plaguebearers

10x Marauders of Nurgle

6x Drones

I've tried 6 drones with any demon near and they hit like crazy. With Glottkin's buff, I could charge them turn 1 and destroy any unit it encounters. Gutrot serves as a distraction while my main force gets the jump on them, pincer attack style.

If anyone has other army list ideas with Glottkin and Guo, I'm all ears.

7 hours ago, bsharitt said:

So how do allies work with Nurgle soup(or any chaos god keyword soup) armies work with allies? Apologies if the answer is in the book and was planning to buy models before I buy it (I don't have it yet as my Nurgle focus since the new releases have all been 40k focused). One plan I had was to run some Gors dressed up like pestigors as allies, but it occurs to me that it would only work while allowing the new Nurgle allegiance stuff(and Blightkings as battleline) if I ran pure Rotbringers, or pure daemons, or even pure StD with all Nurgle marks. I don't have any of the Chaos books(this filling out my first Chaos army aside from so skirmish warbands and a mostly unused skaven half of Spire of Dawn), so I don't know if there's any kind of "workaround" for these meta allegiances that are drawn from other allegiances. Most people I play with would probably be cool with it since they can ally with those factions individually(until I add some Pestilens in), but I really hate being "that guy" that asks for a rules exception every game.

Anything with the Nurgle keyword is part of the Nurgle allegiance, so you can mix Rotbringers, nurgle deamons, StD with Nurgle keyword, and even clan pestelence.  

Archived