Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regard to blightguard.

read the rules,

They're written plain as day and if you still aggressively and wilfully ignore them as you think, that they accidentally removed the named in 5 different paragraphs of text as that "it's obviously a mistake" When a faq question and answer is clearly written.

don't be surprised when the stormcast player decides they want to ignore the change to vanguard wing, or Tzeentch player decides Destiny dice affect mortal wounds..

Rules are there for a reason

20 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

read the rules,

They're written plain as day and if you still aggressively and wilfully ignore them as you think, that they accidentally removed the named in 5 different paragraphs of text as that "it's obviously a mistake" When a faq question and answer is clearly written.

don't be surprised when the stormcast player decides they want to ignore the change to vanguard wing, or Tzeentch player decides Destiny dice affect mortal wounds..

Exactly, so clear that it's supposed to be that way, even possibly why they changed the name in the first place so the battalion can't be used. If people want to run it against me I'm fine with it if they ask, but expect it to disappear in GHB 2018

Played my first game with the new book last night vs KO

ran:

GUO w/ bell & flail,  witherstave & Grandfather's blessing
Sorceror w/Blades of Putrefaction and the 6+ save helmet
Poxbringer

2x30 Plaguebearers
1x10 Plaguebearers

6xDrones

Tallyband

Was really pleased with the list, although I would swap the command ability as I just used the spell every turn, sorcerer died turn one so didn't even get to use BoP but the drones still packed a decent punch with +2 attacks on each weapon.  Messed up a couple of rules, most notably having my opponent re-rolling all 6s to wound for the first two turns instead of just in combat, combined with winning every priority roll meant I managed to get a major win.  Might swap the sorcerer for festus too? Will see. All in all nurgle is a lot more fun to play now!

14 hours ago, Arkiham said:

read the rules,

I dont use or plan to use Blightguards, but let's talk about RAW.

In the same updated FAQ where battalions and name vs bold are clearly stated, there's also this:

Q: If I have two different warscrolls for the same unit, can I choose which to use, or must I use the most recently published version? A: You can choose which warscroll to use, but it may be more convenient for your opponent if you use the most recently published version, especially if the earlier version is no longer readily available.

So for people who have the old warscroll, they can still use it, using RAW.

Also, in the WH apps, and on their own website, the figurine is still called Rotbringers Sorcerer. In stores, you're still buying a Rotbringers Sorcerer. There's no Sorcerer model that currently exists.

If I read the rules for Blightguard, go to a store or online, find me some Rotbringers Sorcerer to meet the criteria, just for some rule lawyer to turn me down, I'm pretty sure I could win my case, using RAW. And if not, I could sue GW for false advertising, because if that isnt a Rotbringer Sorcerer, they sure want it to pass as one. Is it a changeling in disguise?

It's not even close to the Stormcast or Tzeentch examples you described. Those are mechanics, not if the sorcerer is or isnt a Rotbringer sorcerer.

Now having said all that, I can still play Devil's advocate and say that you must use the latest rules, or that in some tourneys that what they may ask you to do, and I would actually be fine with it. But I think we can all agree that it isnt as clear of a situation , even when using RAW, for that specific situation.

1 hour ago, BobbyB said:

ran:

Poxbringer

2x30 Plaguebearers
1x10 Plaguebearers

6xDrones

Tallyband

Was really pleased with the list, although I would swap the command ability as I just used the spell every turn, sorcerer died turn one so didn't even get to use BoP but the drones still packed a decent punch with +2 attacks on each weapon.  Messed up a couple of rules, most notably having my opponent re-rolling all 6s to wound for the first two turns instead of just in combat, combined with winning every priority roll meant I managed to get a major win.  Might swap the sorcerer for festus too? Will see. All in all nurgle is a lot more fun to play now!

Did you find that you were able to punch through armor with drones, with all those attacks? I play with 6 drones too, with loci and +1 attack from GUO, and against Stormcast, with good save rolls and cover, they manage to completely deflect them away. One of his priest, with a 2+ save, manage to pass 24 wounds from Blightkings without a scratch in the same game. The lack of rend really is hurting me hehe.

But yeah, Nurgle is really fun to play, with GUO bell and trees, we can make crazy moves now!

in short...not really. I was playing Kharadron so no horrible armour saves but they still got into a grind against the big boat.  Things probably would have been very different if I hadn't left my sorcerer out to dry turn 1 though.  Damned terrain and get the spell off, assume you get 4 into combat you're looking at 15 mortal wounds give or take which should help you out

1 hour ago, BobbyB said:

How was Tallyband? I've not run it yet. 

58 minutes ago, BobbyB said:

nice for the one (well two) drop and the healing, which the list kind of relies on, but at some point will try out not taking it and spending the extra points on a speedier daemon hero to keep pace with the drones

I really want to like the Tallyband, but it really feels too expensive... it’s decent, but is it really 220 points decent? That said though, I ran a similar list to yours with a DP (for the drones) instead of the sorcerer and it worked well. You lose out on Blades, but it’s too hard to cast to be relied upon anyway.

4 hours ago, Poltron said:

Stuff

Sure, raw allows you to use older scrolls rather than the updated new one, the website an selling pages aren't the rules, games workshop are terrible at that and it's really unprofessional

so ill ignore that. 

But if you're using a older version of a warscroll for personal gains, expect to be told the rest also has to be in that same version , so, no items, no lores of  magic ,no cheaper kings etc and if you* wanna be that guy an argue that no where says you have to do that, make as many lists as you'd* like, as you* wont play many games

*not you personally but people wanting to this

Dont worry I dont take it personally, just discussing ;)

Again, it's just for discussion, because I wont use this battalion hehe, but does anyone here have seen a tournament banning it? Or are we only discussing about the possibility of someone not accepting to play against it by RAW?

Even in my local GW store, I dont even think it was brought up at any point, because people dont really care about it. If the battalion was cheap, maybe it would cause more of a rucus, but at 200, I wouldnt feel cheated to play against one. Do some people feels like it's too strong for its cost? If so, do explain why, I might actually start to use it before GHB2018 get out hahaha!

2 hours ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

I really want to like the Tallyband, but it really feels too expensive... it’s decent, but is it really 220 points decent? That said though, I ran a similar list to yours with a DP (for the drones) instead of the sorcerer and it worked well. You lose out on Blades, but it’s too hard to cast to be relied upon anyway.

I feel like all battalions are expensive compared to Plaguetouched. -1 to hit all your units for 100 points seems amazing. Combined with the multiple of 7 ability, it seems hard to take anything else, at least if you're happy to not field any daemons!

Blightguard is a pretty strong battalion anyway. Sorcerer now isn't useless and has access to 2 lores, lop isn't awful and his way more choppy now.

Kings got buffed very high both in points and in resilience.

I Wouldn't mind paying 200 points there for a -1 to hit in melee, -1 to hit in shooting to 2 heroes and 4 units, reroll 1s to hit and wound for blightkings (cause battalion and lop).

If blight cyst is considered usable and has a 140 point lord that does barely nothing all game And costs 20 points more i think that blightguard is a strong choice. Not op but still strong

@Poltron

I really like the battalion, it's a good tanky battalion to take. I'd like to run it!

But, raw is raw. For good and for bad.

I can't argue one day that greater daemons are fine as raw doesn't stop them and then ignore it as it suits me for blightguard. That's why I personally am against it 

58 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

@Poltron

I really like the battalion, it's a good tanky battalion to take. I'd like to run it!

But, raw is raw. For good and for bad.

I can't argue one day that greater daemons are fine as raw doesn't stop them and then ignore it as it suits me for blightguard. That's why I personally am against it 

its funny because for half the cost of blight guard you can run a plagetouched warband which is better. 

9 hours ago, BobbyB said:

ran:

Poxbringer

2x30 Plaguebearers
1x10 Plaguebearers

6xDrones

Tallyband

Did you try hiding the Sorceror behind the Great Unclean One? The model is literally large enough and touches the base, so it is completely line of sight blocking. 

This is of course, unless they drop in from behind or something.

Additionally, I would think the Drones even without Blades would still do a decent amount of damage potentially. 18 of the attacks are the -1 rend / D3 damage attacks.

On 2/14/2018 at 2:03 PM, Drheroism said:

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Endless Gift 
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence

-Bell and Bileblade
Lord of Afflictions (220)
Festus The Leechlord (140)

- Blades of Putrefaction 
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147

Hello everyone. I am curious to everyone's opinion on this list?  I am wondering if you think it could be competitive at all?

I also thought about dropping one unit of Blightkings to add a Chaos Sorceror Lord and give them Plague Squall.

The Hammer is the Drones with Blades - Lord of Afflictions rolls with or near them

Gutrot and Blightkings come in from the side or behind

Plaguebearer blocks either hold objectives or push forward

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

On 2/14/2018 at 3:26 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

I think you will have a lot of success with this list. It's balanced and has many prongs of attacks. Well constructed!

Thank you very much! I look forward to trying this out.

Hi everybody, my first post on TGA.

I'm obviuosly a Big Nurgle's fan and i want to discuss an (IHMO) big point in list creation: is the Mono-Drop worthing the sacrifice of 1 or more unit(s)?

I've played 4 matches 'till today with a Tallyband (3 win and 1 loss). The 3 wins (2 major, 1 minor) are all thanks to the first-round choice. Sitting on obj with 30 Plaguebeares and preparing for countercharge was essential in every game.

The only loss was caused by my own carelessness on the mission obj (first game with GH2017); after a mind review: with a first turn correct deploy i will probably win it.

I ask this cause i see that few list in big tournament (and also here) are mono-drop.

Here's mi Tally in short:

- Rotigus (Glorious Affliction)

Poxbringer (General, Grandfather Blessing, Tome, Favoured Poxes)

Poxbringer (Nail, Sumptous Pestilence)

30x Plaguebearer

10x Plaguebearer

10x Plaguebearer

3x Drones

3x Drones

3x Drones

Low damage output but great cycle control, good resistence, board control and... mono-drop! :D

Hope to read a lot comments about the Mono-Drop matter, in my country the AoS community is really lazy and sleepy on Tactical topics... :( Cheers!

Hello guys,

I am trying to build a 2k semi-competitive list built around the Blight Cyst battalion and I would like to have your opinion.

First list :

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay
 (160)
- General
- Trait : Resilient 
Great Unclean One (340)
- Lore of Virulence :  Favoured Poxes
- Doomsday bell + Bileblade
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact :  Rustfang 
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
20 x Chaos Warriors (360)
- Halberd & Shield
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Wounds: 157

- Great unclean one  as an unkillable support / debuffer (bell, bileblade, endless gift, favoured poxes).
- Harbinger of decay  as general for mortal units staying power.
- Lord of Blights for blight cyst requirement and melee punch.
- Gutrot Spume and a unit of blightkings for flanking.
- 3 MSU of blighkings tp maximize resilience (+1wound from champion), mobility (10x40mm bases are hard to move) and virulent discharge.
- Chaos warrior as a big mortal resilient unit : 40 wounds with 4+ 5+ 5+ saves with Harbinger . Halberd & shield so they can attack on 2 rank and deal decent damages.

Second list : 

Same as the first list but with the introduction of Rotigus and some minor tweaks. I absolutly love Rotigus model and spell. More magic offensive power in this list : Sumptuous pestilence from GUO and Deluge of Nurgle from Rotigus. 

Leaders

Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Trait: Resilient 
- Artefact: Rustfang 
Great Unclean One (340)
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
10 x Chaos Warriors (180)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Wounds: 146

What do you guys think ? Any advice / change ?

18 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

@Champotte

Both look good tbh, only thing is change is rust fang on first list, put it on harbinger, it'll be better.

Hes incredibly tanky and can hold units up for a while, so maybe try pestilent breath on him also.

Thanks @Arkiham, I will try Rustfang and Pestilent Breath on Harbinger. Will also give Witherstave a try on him ! :)

2 hours ago, Champotte said:

Thanks @Arkiham, I will try Rustfang and Pestilent Breath on Harbinger. Will also give Witherstave a try on him ! :)

I like the first list better. I would chop the warriors into 2 units of ten for objective sitters and combine two of the units of kings so you have the option of spume taking either a unit of 5 or ten depending on opponent and scenario. 

11 hours ago, Shaft said:

Hi everybody, my first post on TGA.

I'm obviuosly a Big Nurgle's fan and i want to discuss an (IHMO) big point in list creation: is the Mono-Drop worthing the sacrifice of 1 or more unit(s)?

I've played 4 matches 'till today with a Tallyband (3 win and 1 loss). The 3 wins (2 major, 1 minor) are all thanks to the first-round choice. Sitting on obj with 30 Plaguebeares and preparing for countercharge was essential in every game.

The only loss was caused by my own carelessness on the mission obj (first game with GH2017); after a mind review: with a first turn correct deploy i will probably win it.

I ask this cause i see that few list in big tournament (and also here) are mono-drop.

Here's mi Tally in short:

- Rotigus (Glorious Affliction)

Poxbringer (General, Grandfather Blessing, Tome, Favoured Poxes)

Poxbringer (Nail, Sumptous Pestilence)

30x Plaguebearer

10x Plaguebearer

10x Plaguebearer

3x Drones

3x Drones

3x Drones

Low damage output but great cycle control, good resistence, board control and... mono-drop! :D

Hope to read a lot comments about the Mono-Drop matter, in my country the AoS community is really lazy and sleepy on Tactical topics... :( Cheers!

I like the list. I wish there was a way to fit a demon prince in there to fly around with the drones! But its looks like you would have many tactical options to deal with a variety of situations in game. Thats my style of play. Really well constructed list!

Archived