Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Can I use grandfathers blessing (start of the hero phase) to switch the cycle from 7 to 6 and have the effect go off?

I think so yes. If I remember correctly it states that ability is used once per battle at the start of the hero phase - if that is the case then definately yes.  I’ll check the wording later. 

Grandfathers blessing specifically states at the start and so does rampant disease. So I figured if they are both "at the start of the hero phase then that would work. But you couldnt go from 6 TO 7 than use foul regenesis to go back to 6 and take effect because it is no longer "the start" of the hero phase.  

Do people generally think the Exalted GUO is worth the extra 160 points over the regular ones? The shooting attack is far better and the +1 save makes it slightly more resilient, especially if you give him pestilent breath and endless gift...

Wondering whether it’d be very competitive at 2K running him alongside the bell and bileblade GUO

Does take a huge chunk of points tho ?

1 hour ago, Chibbins said:

Do people generally think the Exalted GUO is worth the extra 160 points over the regular ones? The shooting attack is far better and the +1 save makes it slightly more resilient, especially if you give him pestilent breath and endless gift...

Wondering whether it’d be very competitive at 2K running him alongside the bell and bileblade GUO

Imho no 160 points are a lot for +1 save and a better attack on a 7" range. Also the lack of the bell and the bileblade which are by far the best items make the regular guo the better choice imho

1 hour ago, shadowgra said:

Imho no 160 points are a lot for +1 save and a better attack on a 7" range. Also the lack of the bell and the bileblade which are by far the best items make the regular guo the better choice imho

better? it's miles better. look at his ranged attack. 36 max wounds at rend 2. the GUO is rend 1 max 6 damage. that's 6 times more six!. average i think is 12? well that's a expensive hero monster a turn...give him grandfathers blessing and pestilent breath and dare people to come into close combat.

due to his high save amounts people will typically want to send mass infantry to overwhelm them with attacks an beat the save, or to just bog them down. well, that's mortal wounds to annihilate the unit.

you dont run him to support your army, you run him to murder the enemies army, 

2 hours ago, Chibbins said:

840 on two unkillable beasts sounds alot, but they'll with luck be so busy trying to kill the EGUO they wont bother killing the guo, keep them near each other if possible for the EGUO to protect the support guo somewhat.

and id go full support on the guo, so bell, and blade for casting use that to support the rest of your army. 

25 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

better? it's miles better. look at his ranged attack. 36 max wounds at rend 2. the GUO is rend 1 max 6 damage. that's 6 times more six!. average i think is 12? well that's a expensive hero monster a turn...give him grandfathers blessing and pestilent breath and dare people to come into close combat.

due to his high save amounts people will typically want to send mass infantry to overwhelm them with attacks an beat the save, or to just bog them down. well, that's mortal wounds to annihilate the unit.

840 on two unkillable beasts sounds alot, but they'll with luck be so busy trying to kill the EGUO they wont bother killing the guo, keep them near each other if possible for the EGUO to protect the support guo somewhat.

and id go full support on the guo, so bell, and blade for casting use that to support the rest of your army. 

Is it even possible to give him the trait and artifact? If so, I can't see why EVERYBODY wouldn't play it like that.....

But I won't be spending all that cash on a forge world figure. Just have to build me one out of the GW range....

2 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Is it even possible to give him the trait and artifact? If so, I can't see why EVERYBODY wouldn't play it like that.....

But I won't be spending all that cash on a forge world figure. Just have to build me one out of the GW range....

yep. basically the same as a GUO

Just now, Tasman said:

Well, that's cool. I would build one and run him with a bell/bileblade guo. Not going to make many friends that way though!

no, those are items for the GUO. the EGUO can take artifacts and traits from the book if you want 

Just now, Tasman said:

right. That's what I meant. One regular guo, And the exalted. Nobody is gonna wanna face that $h!t.

precisely, if someone charges 20 dudes into you, thats 1/3 of the unit suffering mortal wounds, so 7, then vomit which is ~12/15 damage then combat. any wounds you suffer? mostly healed people have to throw some heavy resources at this guy to stop him, an even then that might not be enough 

1 hour ago, Tasman said:

He’s not a named character so no reason not to!

I’m gonna give it a go in a few games I’ve got lined up tomorrow so will give you all some feedback. Do think I need to learn not to bubble wrap my GUOs so much with plaguebearers... have been finding it is hindering their full potential of close range spell casting and vomiting ? 

56 minutes ago, Injuryprone said:

Anyone gonna use the nuGUO as an EGUO?

I could see some nice conversions going on, with the Bilesword and the mawed hand from Rotigus, the fanged belly and some custom large spikes erupting from the back and shoulders like with the Glottkin. 

I would certainly try this as it looks good in my head, but that would have me end up buying 3 Great Unclean Ones (1 for this conversion, 1 for Rotigus and 1 for the standard GUO) and that is out of budget for the time being.

I had made my own Unclean one a couple of years ago and he stands a couple of heads taller than the glottkin  so i am going to use him at the moment as an EGUO in friendly games.

1 hour ago, Soldier of decay said:

Very first tournament in 8 hrs any last min advice?

running

GUO sword/ flail- endless gift, sumptuous pestilence

Rotigus- favored poxes

Lord of blights

Harbringer of decay- general- resilient- splithorn helm

2x5 blightkings

1x10blightkings

1x10 plaguebeares

blight cyst battalion

Tbh I think the splithorn helm is a waste of an artefact. +6 ward isnt very reliable from what I’ve seen. Maybe take an alternative? 

@Arkiham something like the Pestilent breath would make the EGUO even more horrible. 

9 hours ago, Arkiham said:

I still don't like him. He is really slow so you need to keep a support guo nearby and this is 840 points for 2 fatties which is definitely a lot. He is going to do a lot of damage for Sure but he's doing an average of 6 wounds to a 4+ save with shooting if i remember correctly, and sorry i am not paying 500 points for that. I can Imagine why you do it but for my personal playstyle and the opponents i usually run into i prefer to have a more spread out source of damage.

And they asked between guo and eguo and between the two (which is not both) the normal one is miles better because it makes all of your units a lot faster, it has the same wounds and the same command ability and the same spell.

Also the fact that eguo can take traits and artefacts has to be faqed yet, so personally i don't play it in that way

4 hours ago, Soldier of decay said:

Very first tournament in 8 hrs any last min advice?

running

GUO sword/ flail- endless gift, sumptuous pestilence

Rotigus- favored poxes

Lord of blights

Harbringer of decay- general- resilient- splithorn helm

2x5 blightkings

1x10blightkings

1x10 plaguebeares

blight cyst battalion

Yes I would drop the split horn helm. I think the Witherstave on your Harbinger would make your Blight Kings even more resilient. Or perhaps the the Rustfang on the Lord of Blights. 

2 hours ago, shadowgra said:

I still don't like him. He is really slow so you need to keep a support guo nearby and this is 840 points for 2 fatties which is definitely a lot. He is going to do a lot of damage for Sure but he's doing an average of 6 wounds to a 4+ save with shooting if i remember correctly, and sorry i am not paying 500 points for that. I can Imagine why you do it but for my personal playstyle and the opponents i usually run into i prefer to have a more spread out source of damage.

And they asked between guo and eguo and between the two (which is not both) the normal one is miles better because it makes all of your units a lot faster, it has the same wounds and the same command ability and the same spell.

Also the fact that eguo can take traits and artefacts has to be faqed yet, so personally i don't play it in that way

Yeah, I'm hesitant to play him for that reason as well. There's no denying that he brings a ton of hurt, but at 500 points my thinking is that he'll be hard to fit in. At least for me. I'm learning more toward the more conventional (!) build of 2 lumpys. One with the bell/blade and the other with sword/flail. That should suffice for a bit.

3 hours ago, Tasman said:

Yeah, I'm hesitant to play him for that reason as well. There's no denying that he brings a ton of hurt, but at 500 points my thinking is that he'll be hard to fit in. At least for me. I'm learning more toward the more conventional (!) build of 2 lumpys. One with the bell/blade and the other with sword/flail. That should suffice for a bit.

If you've gone that far, why not go the last stretch and go for another for Tricefold Befoulmend? :-)

15 hours ago, Tasman said:

As far I know, no, you cannot give the exalted one traits or artifacts. It's a unique behemoth.

Archived