Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

Combine a DP with fast Units. He still may be a priority target, but...

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Daemon Prince (160)
- Axe
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
Lord of Afflictions (220)
Harbinger of Decay (160)

Battleline
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
- Slaves to Darkness Battleline
10 x Chaos Marauders (60)
- Axes
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)
- Nurgle Battleline (Lord of Afflictions General)

Total: 1500 / 2000

...not the only threat, your enemy has to deal with!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Aex said:

Combine a DP with fast Units. He still may be a priority target, but...

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Daemon Prince (160)
- Axe
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160)

Battleline
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
- Slaves to Darkness Battleline
10 x Chaos Marauders (60)
- Axes

Total: 1500 / 2000

...not the only threat, your enemy has to deal with!

I like this list. Is the additional 500 for summoning, or just not spent yet? I'd probably make Lord General and add a Sorcerer to give the Knights Super Blades. 

i am still trying to create an army focussed on buff blightkings and take some mortal wounds to support them

i will try this in some friendly games, i still dont know if rotigus over bell guo but i will give him a shoot

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Endless Gift 
Lord of Blights (140)
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
- Artefact: Rustfang 

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
- Nurgle Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

How many Gnarlmaws are people bringing?  I've only played one game since the new book.  I have one real one and made a bunch of proxies to see how they play.  I'm going to be getting more and  am curious how many other people use.  Iooks like I'll need between 3 and 5.

3 hours ago, calcysimon said:

i am still trying to create an army focussed on buff blightkings and take some mortal wounds to support them

i will try this in some friendly games, i still dont know if rotigus over bell guo but i will give him a shoot

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Endless Gift 
Lord of Blights (140)
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
- Artefact: Rustfang 

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

I see another way to achieve your goal here. Couple possible tweaks.

If you have a couple Feculat trees I say go offensive hard

Give sorcerer Blades instead of plague Squall.

Drop Harbringer, and LoA. Then add Gutrot for deep strike, and LoP for re-roll hit of 1. Give LoP rustfang  and make him your general. Resilient command trait.

Give Sorcerer muttergrub So you can keep casting Blades and Foul Regenisis. try to keep resetting the wheel to 5 unless you need to let it go once to heal. 

Then you should be able to run a unit of 10 Blight Kings and 3 units of 5. And 1 unit of Nurglings to summon

Keep your Buffing hero’s within range of the 10 and you will destroy anything in their way. Rend, shooting, re-roll 1 to hit, blades. Then flank with Gutrot Spume and 5 kings, to devide their forces, Rotigus,  and the wheel Turing to 6 can rain mortals the whole game, and Rotigus holds up in melee pretty well too.

Blight King’s having 4 wounds means they don’t always need the extra save if they kill things fast enough. And with the wheel reset to 5 most turns you opponent will be loosing wounds.

if you want a little more protection you can make LoB your general for the cloud of flies on 10 BKs. 

The Nurglings are just to hold whatever objective you need so BKs can keep rampaging.

If on the other hand you want that extra save the only one small change to your list

Swap endless gift for witherstaff.

1 hour ago, Kevin K said:

How many Gnarlmaws are people bringing?  I've only played one game since the new book.  I have one real one and made a bunch of proxies to see how they play.  I'm going to be getting more and  am curious how many other people use.  Iooks like I'll need between 3 and 5.

In most games, 2-3 is the most I've ever needed. Once you're stuck in combat, they don't do much anymore since you can't drop them on your enemies (unless you have horticulous). Obviously more is better but they aren't so super important after first couple of turns.

57 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

In most games, 2-3 is the most I've ever needed. Once you're stuck in combat, they don't do much anymore since you can't drop them on your enemies (unless you have horticulous). Obviously more is better but they aren't so super important after first couple of turns.

I agree, I have had the same experience.

I've tried Plaguetouched plagueband, with marauders, Glottkin, LoA and Pusgoyles and a couple others.

I felt like the -1 to hit meant nothing that game (I was against Stormcast, and they had 3+ rerolling 1 against Chaos), and he either rolled above the treshold, or below it anyway.

Maybe it's better against weaker armies that need 4+, but I seriously dont think it mattered all game, maybe on 2-3 hits.

My 35 man strong marauders couldnt even proc a single mortal wound. They were either shot to death, eaten by a dragon, tail swiped, tempested by lightning. At the end of the game , I had lost half the unit to bravery test, and the other half to anything but melee.

My LoA rolled 2 1 in a row near   a mystical terrain, and almost died in a single turn of shooting to a unit of 5 justicar and the hammer cape freak. I thought it would be more resilient to this, especially with -1, but those mortal wounds without hits were bad.

My 4 puysgoyles managed to kill a unit of 10 liberators and the hammer bros, but it was mainly due to his poor choice of who to attack first with, I was able to kill 4/5 hammerbros with just Glottkin +1 attack buff. The rerolls of 1 granted by the LoA was golden to help reach the statistics, I would've whiffed a lot of time without it.

Glottkin did good, but again whiff all his attacks against dracoth with hammers. He was able to kill them, but over 2 turns of combat instead of one. He also couldnt cast a single spell all game except on turn 1, even with an Arcane terrain right beside him. 

The MVP this game was Gutrot Spume, with his 100% accuracy round, that dealt 10 wounds on his stardrake, killing it on the spot. Gutrot had 1 wound left, but managed to be the hero slayer he was meant to be.

I won by grabbing an objective first in Duality of Death, and was able to keep 1 until the end of turn 3 while contesting the other one, at which point he surrendered because he couldnt catch the gap in points.

I dont think I like human-only army, I missed my GUO ability to actually cast spells when needed, thanks to his blade and tome, and I missed the tankiness of the plaguebearers, although the marauders did a good job of wasting time on them instead of more important targets.

I'll keep my army batallionless for now, with Glottkin and GUO both leading their own small respective band of joyous freaks of Nature.

3 minutes ago, Poltron said:

I've tried Plaguetouched plagueband, with marauders, Glottkin, LoA and Pusgoyles and a couple others.

I felt like the -1 to hit meant nothing that game (I was against Stormcast, and they had 3+ rerolling 1 against Chaos), and he either rolled above the treshold, or below it anyway.

Maybe it's better against weaker armies that need 4+, but I seriously dont think it mattered all game, maybe on 2-3 hits.

My 35 man strong marauders couldnt even proc a single mortal wound. They were either shot to death, eaten by a dragon, tail swiped, tempested by lightning. At the end of the game , I had lost half the unit to bravery test, and the other half to anything but melee.

My LoA rolled 2 1 in a row near   a mystical terrain, and almost died in a single turn of shooting to a unit of 5 justicar and the hammer cape freak. I thought it would be more resilient to this, especially with -1, but those mortal wounds without hits were bad.

My 4 puysgoyles managed to kill a unit of 10 liberators and the hammer bros, but it was mainly due to his poor choice of who to attack first with, I was able to kill 4/5 hammerbros with just Glottkin +1 attack buff. The rerolls of 1 granted by the LoA was golden to help reach the statistics, I would've whiffed a lot of time without it.

Glottkin did good, but again whiff all his attacks against dracoth with hammers. He was able to kill them, but over 2 turns of combat instead of one. He also couldnt cast a single spell all game except on turn 1, even with an Arcane terrain right beside him. 

The MVP this game was Gutrot Spume, with his 100% accuracy round, that dealt 10 wounds on his stardrake, killing it on the spot. Gutrot had 1 wound left, but managed to be the hero slayer he was meant to be.

I won by grabbing an objective first in Duality of Death, and was able to keep 1 until the end of turn 3 while contesting the other one, at which point he surrendered because he couldnt catch the gap in points.

I dont think I like human-only army, I missed my GUO ability to actually cast spells when needed, thanks to his blade and tome, and I missed the tankiness of the plaguebearers, although the marauders did a good job of wasting time on them instead of more important targets.

I'll keep my army batallionless for now, with Glottkin and GUO both leading their own small respective band of joyous freaks of Nature.

Well sometimes wins aren't as pretty as you would like.. but you won! Also keep in mind marauders are half the cost of plaguebearers. Casting a 7 on 2d6 should happen more times than not as that happens 58% of the time. Sounds like you had some bad rolls. Try stacking Pt warband with other debuffs for max effectiveness. Also the point of marauders in this list is to be the recipient of fleshy abundance and aim them straight at the enemy unit with the most attack to try to get the mortal wound kickback to go off. 

Also "plaguetouched plagueband" I lol'd :P

Mile High Massacre Results are coming in. Two Nurgle lists in the top ten. 

https://aosshorts.com/mile-high-massacre-age-of-sigmar-tournament/

7th overall

Zach Johnson - Nurgle

Great Unclean One
   Artifact : The Endless Gift
Gutrot Spume
Lord of Plagues
   Artifact : Rustfang
The Glotkin
   General

Chaos Marauders x10
Putrid Blightkings x10
Putrid Blightkings x5
Putrid Blightkings x5
Putrid Blightkings x5

Plaguetouched Warband

--------------------------------------------

8th Overall 

Zach Sherrard - Nurgle

Chaos Sorcerer Lord
Harbinger of Decay
   General
   Command Trait : Grandfather's Blessing
   Artifact : The Witherstave
Lord of Blights
Lord of Plagues
Sorcerer
   Artifact : Muttergrub

Plague Drones x3
Plague Drones x3
Putrid Blightkings x5
Putrid Blightkings x5
Putrid Blightkings x5
Putrid Blightkings x5

Blight Cyst

Interesting. Is it that the tome hasn't had enough time to sink in that there's no nurgle in top 3 or that the huge furor over Nurgle now being OP is nonsense?

Also interesting to see a plaguetouched warband without any 7 count units (unless he took 7 marauders, but can't imagine that would be any use!). Reinforces the idea that it's a fantastic battalion, even when using half of it's rules. 

1 hour ago, Poltron said:

Holy moly that sounds like a cool game. Gutrot is pretty good. I think he might be the best statline for melee weapons we have? (As in his combination of to hit, to wound, rend and damage is the best weapon we have for all of nurgle? Except maybe exalted GUO?). I know the combo of him +10 BKs is really great. 

I actually purchased 40 marauders for the killer +1 to hit, re-rolling hits of 1, blades of putrefaction, plaguetouched mortal wound output, -1 to hit, but it does seem extremely circumstantial if it would ever actually work. In theory, if you can get 35 intact into a combat phase, they should be able to take out almost any model in the game pretty quick, but i guess in reality they lose so much to bravery.

Glottkin do whiff their attacks, but that's standard with nurgle models I find. Our to hit/wound combo is usually poor (except EGUO and gutrot) so even if it's a strong attack, it's usually not gonna do anything. 

43 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Interesting. Is it that the tome hasn't had enough time to sink in that there's no nurgle in top 3 or that the huge furor over Nurgle now being OP is nonsense?

Also interesting to see a plaguetouched warband without any 7 count units (unless he took 7 marauders, but can't imagine that would be any use!). Reinforces the idea that it's a fantastic battalion, even when using half of it's rules. 

Well 8 units, -1 to hit for 100 points. So for 12.5 points per unit they all get -1 to hit in combat. That's insane. The grandfathers blessing rule is just gravy.

41 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

If you're refering to the thread in the General section, then it's just one guy making such claims. I haven't seen such claims anywhere else either here on TGA, other forums or from any AoS Youtubers. So let's not make it more than it is.

Still good to see some Nurgle lists in the top 10, but there was an Ironjawz in the top 10 too, and no Fyreslayers. So maybe the balance of AoS is better than what some people are giving it credit for :-)

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Well sometimes wins aren't as pretty as you would like.. but you won! Also keep in mind marauders are half the cost of plaguebearers. Casting a 7 on 2d6 should happen more times than not as that happens 58% of the time. Sounds like you had some bad rolls. Try stacking Pt warband with other debuffs for max effectiveness. Also the point of marauders in this list is to be the recipient of fleshy abundance and aim them straight at the enemy unit with the most attack to try to get the mortal wound kickback to go off. 

Also "plaguetouched plagueband" I lol'd :P

Yeah I won! But I felt lacking in so many department, with no resilience compare to my hybrid theme army. I think I overestimated the -1, thinking it would cut like 1/3 of their attacks, when in reality it didnt do even half of that. I like the one-drop potential, and the fact that it negates 6+ to hit if he dont buff them with +1 to hit.

I was able to cast double wound on the marauders turn 1, but the dragon just ate them whole. and put mortal wounds from afar, with shooting.  Question about test and Characteristics: If he must roll higher than the Wound characteristic, is the Wound Characteristic now 2 because of the spell, or 1 because of what's written on the warscroll? 

I guess marauders were the one taking the heat, which is what they're meant for anyway.

I'll maybe try to change it up, it just feels like it's lacking resilience, or fun units because of marauders hehe.

I did make really bad rolls for the first half of the game, like I always do. Stats are nothing against me, I defy the logic itself. Chaos forever!

42 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Holy moly that sounds like a cool game. Gutrot is pretty good. I think he might be the best statline for melee weapons we have? (As in his combination of to hit, to wound, rend and damage is the best weapon we have for all of nurgle? Except maybe exalted GUO?). I know the combo of him +10 BKs is really great. 

I actually purchased 40 marauders for the killer +1 to hit, re-rolling hits of 1, blades of putrefaction, plaguetouched mortal wound output, -1 to hit, but it does seem extremely circumstantial if it would ever actually work. In theory, if you can get 35 intact into a combat phase, they should be able to take out almost any model in the game pretty quick, but i guess in reality they lose so much to bravery.

Glottkin do whiff their attacks, but that's standard with nurgle models I find. Our to hit/wound combo is usually poor (except EGUO and gutrot) so even if it's a strong attack, it's usually not gonna do anything. 

Gutrot is almost now an auto-include, I love the model, the stats, and the rules. I was pretty surprised at how much firepower they had to dedicate on a 140 point model. And with the 4+ chance to remove a weapon for the round, it negated half the dragon's attack. Legally, we could choose the dragon's attack as a target for our tentacles, right? I've targeted the hammer anyway, but we laughed at the possibility to stop a stardrake from attacking with his claws.

I will paint my marauders too, one unit of 40, just dont count on blades to do the job and bring another rend machine in case you need it.

Glottkin first 2 rounds of combat were just awful, all 1 and 2, and missing 3 out of 4 2+ to wound. 3 1 lol. And they against Stormcast with their 3+/2+ armor save, you see the remaining being saved easily. I was missing mortal wounds dealer in that army, and I will try to tweak it around a bit before dismissing it completely. It was a fun game where I won because of my opponent's mistake, I'll make sure next time I win because of my list ;)

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Mile High Massacre Results are coming in. Two Nurgle lists in the top ten. 

https://aosshorts.com/mile-high-massacre-age-of-sigmar-tournament/

7th overall

Zach Johnson - Nurgle

Great Unclean One
   Artifact : The Endless Gift
Gutrot Spume
Lord of Plagues
   Artifact : Rustfang
The Glotkin
   General

Chaos Marauders x10
Putrid Blightkings x10
Putrid Blightkings x5
Putrid Blightkings x5
Putrid Blightkings x5

Plaguetouched Warband

Oh a list using both Glottkin and GUO, happy to see this as it's was I'm aiming for, minus that much blightkings. I prefer diversity hehe.

31 minutes ago, Poltron said:

Gutrot is almost now an auto-include, I love the model, the stats, and the rules. I was pretty surprised at how much firepower they had to dedicate on a 140 point model. And with the 4+ chance to remove a weapon for the round, it negated half the dragon's attack. Legally, we could choose the dragon's attack as a target for our tentacles, right? I've targeted the hammer anyway, but we laughed at the possibility to stop a stardrake from attacking with his claws.

I play it as "weapon", so not claws etc, only a seperate weapon entity held by a character.

9 minutes ago, Poltron said:

Oh a list using both Glottkin and GUO, happy to see this as it's was I'm aiming for, minus that much blightkings. I prefer diversity hehe.

Yeah interesting they decided the endless gift was worth more than the better magic from Rotigus. I would have thought having Glottkin as general would mean rotigus as the only GUO, but obviously not!

31 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Yeah interesting they decided the endless gift was worth more than the better magic from Rotigus. I would have thought having Glottkin as general would mean rotigus as the only GUO, but obviously not!

Maybe because I'm not a magic guy, or that magic dont do much for me, but I dont find Rotigus that interesting (apart from his AoE mortal wounds on a 4+, I feel like Blightkings should have had that on a 5+ instead of 6+) vs a normal GUO with Endless Gifts, and Bell/Blade.

7 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

My favorite game with my nurgle army has Spume desperately hanging on to Archaon's slayer of kings while my army hacked him down. I pictured Archaon waving his sword with Spume flapping around holding on to the end.

Haha! That sounds awesome! Thing is, Gurot is the most arrogant dude in AoS (well apart from Nagash I guess now). So he would probably think he could challenge Archaon!

6 minutes ago, Poltron said:

Maybe because I'm not a magic guy, or that magic dont do much for me, but I dont find Rotigus that interesting (apart from his AoE mortal wounds on a 4+, I feel like Blightkings should have had that on a 5+ instead of 6+) vs a normal GUO with Endless Gifts, and Bell/Blade.

The Rotigus spell is seriously good though. average of 3.5 d3 mortal wounds anywhere on the board (at full health) is really good. I mean combo that with the nurgle cycle stage of d3xd3 and you could take out several support characters and do some serious damage to other units before you've even done your movement phase!

19 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

My favorite game with my nurgle army has Spume desperately hanging on to Archaon's slayer of kings while my army hacked him down. I pictured Archaon waving his sword with Spume flapping around holding on to the end.

Things like this are literally the reason I play AoS!

Archived