Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do many of you Admirals take a Gryphound? 

I have a tournament soon and want to change my list a little bit but dont have time to paint what id like to take, so taking what i have leaves me with 40pt and im thinking of taking a Gryph.  Any suggestions on how to use it, in front of our lines? to block a flank? scout ahead?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, stato said:

I tryed it, once. The dog add 1 drop to the army and bring nothing to the table. It's very easy to play around his "guard" ability, he's not proficient in combat nor in run to objectives (not better then 3 baloon guys, at least). 

Better take the roll on the "less then opponent points" table. 

On 5/12/2018 at 3:10 PM, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Whilst I am super excited for 2.0 to drop, I am also starting to release that unless GH2018 is really kind to us we're about to get nerfed...again.  

There is no real evidence of this.   Perhaps the Faction Focus for KO will be more enlightening.

So you can redeploy said clown car after enemy sets up. Allows you to respond a bit to what they have in store for you, since they will obviously know what to expect from you and will have set up accordingly.

7 hours ago, stato said:

I have a tournament soon and want to change my list a little bit but dont have time to paint what id like to take, so taking what i have leaves me with 40pt and im thinking of taking a Gryph.  Any suggestions on how to use it, in front of our lines? to block a flank? scout ahead?

Cheers.

I've used them in a Stormcast list (due to extra points) and my KO.  People will know (and fear) what the Gryph-hound does, and they will do their best to kill it. Guess what? They aren't shooting at the rest of your army. If they do ignore it, you've got a speedy objective grabber/charge lane blocker/Nice ability against deep striking. It's worth it over the Triumph Table.

I used 2 of them in helping my friend get ready for a GT, and he knew to shoot them...but that was 2 full units of Judicators shooting he had to waste on 3 wound models with  no save. I nuked him into oblivion with Light Harpoon Guns in return. This was vs Vanguard Wing using a modified Clown Car (I won). 

16 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

So you can redeploy said clown car after enemy sets up. Allows you to respond a bit to what they have in store for you, since they will obviously know what to expect from you and will have set up accordingly.

but zulfin ship can drop everywhere  in hero phase ?

Just now, azmarus said:

but zulfin ship can drop everywhere  in hero phase ?

That is true, but its not always the best way to use them. Have a search back through this thread and there is some good discussion on how you can use them.

18 minutes ago, Badlander86 said:

Arkanaut Company at 100 pts would be a good start. Then Frigates and Gunhaulers at 250 and 200 respectively?

Arkanaut is fine at 120. Perhaps a reduction for 30-40...

boat are clearly a bit overpriced, especially gunhauler.

a second battleline, like skywarden would be nice for variety in 1000pts list.

Oh I don't think Arkanaut Company are overpriced...I'm hoping they stay the same. Things I am putting on my Tin Foil Hat because we might see:

• Reduction in Skyvessel cost
  • Changes to hitching (it's just too good, don't you think? I mean I don't want it to but...)
  • Battalion price reductions across the board
  • Changes to Navigators and Endrineers so they are more useful

I dont think we will be getting much in the way of rules updates for KO, or other armies for that matter. I know they have mentioned the odd one but only in specific cases. Lots of points tweaks to bring things in/out, how much boats come down a lot though depends on what they change with first turn /number of drops.  The interesting changes will be to battalions, we have some interesting/fun ones, if they were costed better and a change to those (along with unit points) could shake up the KO quite a lot.

7 hours ago, Dez said:

Oh I don't think Arkanaut Company are overpriced...I'm hoping they stay the same. Things I am putting on my Tin Foil Hat because we might see:

• Reduction in Skyvessel cost
  • Changes to hitching (it's just too good, don't you think? I mean I don't want it to but...)
  • Battalion price reductions across the board
  • Changes to Navigators and Endrineers so they are more useful

My guesses for Kharadron Overlords if the rules stay more or less the same:

• Frigate goes down a little bit (20-30 points)

• Gunhauler goes down by a lot (40-60 points)

• either Thunderers or Skywarden become conditional Battlelines

• Battalion costs back to the pre-GH level

Going to a tournament next weekend and think I might try this list. Few models to paint so might not be exactly this if i dont get them finished.

Mhornar, all the skyhooks, 12 riggers (only used 9 before). Normally take an azyros and 3 prosecutors but swtiched out to a Venator and Gryphound as the Azyros never seems to do much other than hold an objective and then die.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers 
Aether-Khemist (140)
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 
Knight-Venator (120)
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Arkanaut Company (360)
- 9x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
12 x Endrinriggers (480)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
3 x Skywardens (100)
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Drill Cannons
3 x Skywardens (100)
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Drill Cannons
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
- Allies

War Machines
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 160 / 400
Wounds: 118

A list after my own heart! Less drops would be nice, but it will do. One thing I'd consider is dropping the Venator and putting in an Admiral for some Battleshock protection.

4 minutes ago, Dez said:

A list after my own heart! Less drops would be nice, but it will do. One thing I'd consider is dropping the Venator and putting in an Admiral for some Battleshock protection.

Yeah my original plan was just that, and then 9 and 9 on wardens/riggers to get the 20pt back id need.  I value the speed on the Azyros ive used (now Venator) as the rest of the list is such a static gun-line. I do want to try an admiral at some point (ive just painted one) but for this tournament I want to try the disgusting amount of firepower approach, need to get my dice rolling speed up though, played a game last night where everything was on mystical terrain so i was doing Mhornar re-roll to hit and then re-roll to wound on everything (almost, did fail one unit mystical), it was filthy but took ages.

I'm going to be revisiting my KOs soon and I'll be picking up two boxes of endrinriggers today to add to the one unit I already have that is all base saw armament. Two questions: first, do I want to run multiple small units or one big unit of 9 or a 6 and 3? I could see 9 being able to wreck quite a bit and would allow an aetherkhemist to buff more at a time. I just wonder if it's concentrating all my killing power too much, plus the larger units and potentially more susceptible to battle shock. Second question, is the grapnel launcher worth it. In a three man unit the answer would seem to be no, and 6 man I'm still leaning more towards no, but if I go for the 9 man does the cost of giving up a saw and shooting attack for a 4 up extra move get diluted enough to be worth it? They're already moving 12 inches, so I'm having a hard time buying into the value of them, especially if they're going to be in a deep strinking boat anyway. Where they would probably get most use is in games where the objectives show up randomly, then I could see where they could pay for themselves.

7 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

I'm going to be revisiting my KOs soon and I'll be picking up two boxes of endrinriggers today to add to the one unit I already have that is all base saw armament. Two questions: first, do I want to run multiple small units or one big unit of 9 or a 6 and 3? I could see 9 being able to wreck quite a bit and would allow an aetherkhemist to buff more at a time. I just wonder if it's concentrating all my killing power too much, plus the larger units and potentially more susceptible to battle shock. Second question, is the grapnel launcher worth it. In a three man unit the answer would seem to be no, and 6 man I'm still leaning more towards no, but if I go for the 9 man does the cost of giving up a saw and shooting attack for a 4 up extra move get diluted enough to be worth it? They're already moving 12 inches, so I'm having a hard time buying into the value of them, especially if they're going to be in a deep strinking boat anyway. Where they would probably get most use is in games where the objectives show up randomly, then I could see where they could pay for themselves.

Like every answer, it depends on the rest of your list and how you like to play.  The obvious power from them is a unit of 9 (or 12) buffed and using grapnels to get places opponents dont expect or getting close enough to have a very easy charge.

Risks with that are not getting a Khemist buff the next turn (as your on the other side of the board) and your nice powerful unit in the middle of the opponents force.  So you need to still be tactical with them, and as such different builds and ways to use them can still be viable if they match your play style preference.

Archived