Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

1 hour ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

I’ve learned my lesson.  I focused too much on the gore gruntas.  Are they even that dangerous?  And to be fair, they probably should have died after one turn but mystic shield and my rubbish ironclad really helped them out. 

Goregruntas aren't dangerous, no where near as dangerous as Brutes. Goregruntaz are fast, tanky, and can get a lot of hits...but they are mostly 1 damage. Brutes will ravage whatever they get into contact with.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

I’ve learned my lesson.  I focused too much on the gore gruntas.  Are they even that dangerous?  And to be fair, they probably should have died after one turn but mystic shield and my rubbish ironclad really helped them out. 

Generally, Gore Gruntas are considered a tarpit. It's not intuitive looking at the models, but the Brutes are the offensive threat over the Gruntas.

Hi All,

Not used my KO for a while and want to try out a few changes based on the last few games I did have.

My base list is a Mhornar skyhook fest with some riggers, wardens and ally stormcast for movement. 

I always suffered badly from battleshock so ive swapped my 2nd normal Khemist for the Admiral, I was always to eager with the buffed Riggers so only 1 khemist in the list will be for skyhooks so hopefully help will tame in my recklessness with the riggers and not charge out my lines turn 1. :D

Want to try a Navigator with Aethersight loupe as id been getting knocked about by magic a lot, not sure this will be effective with all the positive modifiers magic users seem to get for free 9_9.  Ive used the usual Khemist with Earburster previously but it never seems to swing games for me, probably being too protective of the Khemist and not being in range often enough. 

Typically ally in an Azyros and 3 Prosecutors but they dont do a lot and i can get their mobility from some skywardens already in the list, so thinking of adding a Hellstorm rocket battery to give a bit of a nasty threat range.

I know its not 'optimal' but im bored of playing by the book and want to try something a little different, im not a fantastic player so Netlisting wouldnt get me to top tables anyway.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Order
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
Aether-Khemist (140)
Aetheric Navigator (100)
30 x Arkanaut Company (360)
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
3 x Skywardens (100)
3 x Skywardens (100)
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
Helstorm Rocket Battery (180)
- Allies

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 180 / 400
Wounds: 114

@stato try the earburster on the admiral. I use that combo to good effect. I use a Clowncar list with the Admiral and Khemist. Shoot with everything (either 20 arkanauts with 6 volley guns or 10 arks with 10  grunstock with rifles) then follow up with the Admirals earburster before charging in with riggers. Even works against high bravery.

3 hours ago, Sactownbri said:

@stato try the earburster on the admiral. I use that combo to good effect. I use a Clowncar list with the Admiral and Khemist. Shoot with everything (either 20 arkanauts with 6 volley guns or 10 arks with 10  grunstock with rifles) then follow up with the Admirals earburster before charging in with riggers. Even works against high bravery.

Wouldn't the Khemist gun be much more reliable for a earburster? 

10 hours ago, stato said:

Hi All,

Not used my KO for a while and want to try out a few changes based on the last few games I did have.

My base list is a Mhornar skyhook fest with some riggers, wardens and ally stormcast for movement. 

I always suffered badly from battleshock so ive swapped my 2nd normal Khemist for the Admiral, I was always to eager with the buffed Riggers so only 1 khemist in the list will be for skyhooks so hopefully help will tame in my recklessness with the riggers and not charge out my lines turn 1. :D

Want to try a Navigator with Aethersight loupe as id been getting knocked about by magic a lot, not sure this will be effective with all the positive modifiers magic users seem to get for free 9_9.  Ive used the usual Khemist with Earburster previously but it never seems to swing games for me, probably being too protective of the Khemist and not being in range often enough. 

Typically ally in an Azyros and 3 Prosecutors but they dont do a lot and i can get their mobility from some skywardens already in the list, so thinking of adding a Hellstorm rocket battery to give a bit of a nasty threat range.

I know its not 'optimal' but im bored of playing by the book and want to try something a little different, im not a fantastic player so Netlisting wouldnt get me to top tables anyway.

Reveal hidden contents

Allegiance: Order
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
Aether-Khemist (140)
Aetheric Navigator (100)
30 x Arkanaut Company (360)
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
3 x Skywardens (100)
3 x Skywardens (100)
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
Helstorm Rocket Battery (180)
- Allies

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 180 / 400
Wounds: 114

I just realized the other day that they FAQ'd the Loupe.  It used to be a decent answer for the bonuses that seem to be liberally sprinkled on magic users.  Now is just an extra dispel. 

10 hours ago, Naflem said:

Wouldn't the Khemist gun be much more reliable for a earburster? 

Absolutely, but the khemist is too valuable for me to get that close to the action. I keep him in the back to buff my units so he’s regularly out of range. I find the Admiral gets ignored frequently and I’ll get more opportunities to shoot with him and use that combo. The Khemist has a huge target on him and if I get two rounds out of him I call myself lucky.

Just had a game with nighthaunt and BCR tonight. 

The nighthaunt ignore rend is pulling my damage down a lot, my endrinriggers become "gentle old men selling balloons"... not to mention there us mourngul nearby to subtract 1 from hit rolls.

Have to think how to counter this list. Shooting more with skywardens instead a better idea? 

Hi everyone!

Just an Undead guy passing by. I am tempted by KO but don’t know anything about them, how they play, what’s good, what are their problems and so on...

Can anyone give me a brief description of the faction? 

Thanks!

On 5/5/2018 at 11:02 PM, AlvinAOS said:

Just had a game with nighthaunt and BCR tonight. 

The nighthaunt ignore rend is pulling my damage down a lot, my endrinriggers become "gentle old men selling balloons"... not to mention there us mourngul nearby to subtract 1 from hit rolls.

Have to think how to counter this list. Shooting more with skywardens instead a better idea? 

i handle with my 12 x sky warden with 4 aethermatic volley gun with khemist buff and company privateer pistol with khemist buff also.

with Ignore rend unit i prefer more bullet more opportunity to make more damage.

Last game on Saturday i play with seraphon with 2 x Bastiladon ( Save3+ ignore rend) and i take it down not that hard with those gun.

My list i use Urbaz skyport with 3 khemist , 1 Admiral (no test battleshock)

1 Frigate , 12 skywarden with 4xVolley gun , 4x Drill cannon   , 12 skywarden  with 4xVolley gun , 4x Drill cannon

10 company with 3 light skyhook

10 company with 3 light skyhook

10 company with 3 light skyhook

2 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

I played in a tournament yesterday and had my ass handed to me...three times.  The clown car failed me.  :S

More details! Then we can help with what went wrong, and how to not do that next time :)

Also...Vulkan the Skywarden I am almost done with

IMG_7961.JPG

1 hour ago, Dez said:

More details! Then we can help with what went wrong, and how to not do that next time :)

IMG_7961.JPG

I love this, but I just can’t help thinking,

”Gordon’s ALIVE?!?!”

2 hours ago, Dez said:

IMG_7961.JPG

Vulkan looks amazing! :)

Oh yeah, the details.  I think I posted my list here earlier.

My first game was Knife To The Heart against Clan Skyre.  The mortars (using those tokens they have to inflict double damage) devastated my ships, and the cybernetic rat ogres shrugged off everything I threw at them and destroyed my army.

Second game was Duality Of Death against a mix Order force of skinks, grail knights, tempestadors, damsels and anointed elf heroes, including a frosty phoneix.  I got off to a good start, and even killed the dragon in one round of shooting, but that damn phoniex refused to die.  But I fought to the very end of turn 5.  

The last game was Total Conquest against Ironjawz.  My single worst defeat ever.  I was tabled by turn 3, and because I failed to destroy any of his units, I got zero points.  I finished bottom of the table. :/

Hey all,

I’m going to my ever first two-day tournament ever in about a month and here’s what I plan on taking:

·         Zilphin, No Reward Without Risk

·         Endrinmaster w/Fleetmaster (General)

·         2 Aether Khemists w/ 1 Earbuster

·         2 Frigates w/ Skycannons and one Aetherspheric Endrins

·         3 x 10 Arkanauts (2 with skyhooks, 1 with rotary guns)

·         9 Endrinriggers w/ 3 Grapnels

·         9 Skywardens w/ Sky Pikes

I know it’s not a 100% optimized list, but it’s what I like and have painted for the most part. The one thing I’m considering changing is the Endrinmaster. Here are the options I am considering that would be pretty easy to throw together:

·         Keep the Endrinmaster – Gives be 3 heroes that are all useful, so opponents have to decide to go after my general or the Khemists. Useful for 3 Places of Power or Duality.

·         Bump up the Endrinriggers to 12 – More attacks and bodies. Maybe they stick around a little longer than usual. Also, I could probably skip the grapnels since I already have 3…

·         Bump up the Skywardens to 12 – Probably easier to get use out of the big unit with the 2” pikes. Would put me at 1960 though. Don’t like wasting those 40 points.

·         Add a unit of 3 Endrinriggers or Skywardens with the Drill Cannon and Volley gun – They can just zip around and sit on objectives and maybe get lucking with shooting every once and a while

What do people think?

13 hours ago, WatcherintheWater said:

Hey all,

I’m going to my ever first two-day tournament ever in about a month and here’s what I plan on taking:

Spoiler

·         Zilphin, No Reward Without Risk

·         Endrinmaster w/Fleetmaster (General)

·         2 Aether Khemists w/ 1 Earbuster

·         2 Frigates w/ Skycannons and one Aetherspheric Endrins

·         3 x 10 Arkanauts (2 with skyhooks, 1 with rotary guns)

·         9 Endrinriggers w/ 3 Grapnels

·         9 Skywardens w/ Sky Pikes

I know it’s not a 100% optimized list, but it’s what I like and have painted for the most part. The one thing I’m considering changing is the Endrinmaster. Here are the options I am considering that would be pretty easy to throw together:

·         Keep the Endrinmaster – Gives be 3 heroes that are all useful, so opponents have to decide to go after my general or the Khemists. Useful for 3 Places of Power or Duality.

·         Bump up the Endrinriggers to 12 – More attacks and bodies. Maybe they stick around a little longer than usual. Also, I could probably skip the grapnels since I already have 3…

·         Bump up the Skywardens to 12 – Probably easier to get use out of the big unit with the 2” pikes. Would put me at 1960 though. Don’t like wasting those 40 points.

·         Add a unit of 3 Endrinriggers or Skywardens with the Drill Cannon and Volley gun – They can just zip around and sit on objectives and maybe get lucking with shooting every once and a while

What do people think?

I like running my wardens as individual units as i generally have better options to Khemist augment, so a unit of 9 does more for me as 3x3 for movement and board control (and reducing battleshock losses).

From your options an extra unit of 3 could give you more board control, if you want keep a unit of 9 wardens.  Or you could go 12 riggers and 3x3 wardens for that control.

I also like an Admiral, to help against battleshock.

Would like to hear your feedback about 2x frigates though, as thats what i want to go to next.

What event are you going to?

6 hours ago, stato said:

I like running my wardens as individual units as i generally have better options to Khemist augment, so a unit of 9 does more for me as 3x3 for movement and board control (and reducing battleshock losses). 

From your options an extra unit of 3 could give you more board control, if you want keep a unit of 9 wardens.  Or you could go 12 riggers and 3x3 wardens for that control. 

I also like an Admiral, to help against battleshock.

Would like to hear your feedback about 2x frigates though, as thats what i want to go to next.

What event are you going to? 

40 points = allied griffhound maybe?

Thanks for the input! Both good points. I actually have an Admiral already, so that would be pretty easy to swap in. Basically a decision of whether the +1 save and Admiral command trait is better than the Endrinmaster's better hammer and ship healing. Feels pretty close to me.

Adding 3 Skywardens and a griffhound would be fun, but I wonder if the griffhound is worth adding another drop. Feels like there could be a lot of armies right around the 3 or 4 that I am at right now.

The tournament is the Triumph GT in New Jersey.

Hello all, new KO player( and AoS in general)  here!

So without seeing any rules or having any sort of frame of reference I decided to dive into the sky dwarves what because of the fact they are dwarves in the sky, which is probably the closest I’ll ever get to dwarves in space.

I’m a little confused though as I thumb through the rules of other armies.  Is it just me or does everything except maybe thunderers feel like there is a “neat model” tax added to point costs?

Mostly this is directed at the ships but also after seeing other hero stats ours feel really expensive for not much delivery.

6 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

So.....with AoS 2.0 on the way and the spoiler about "No more shooting out of combat" how are we going to take this?

That seem to limit our already limited options :(

The new edition and the Generals Handbook 2018 will drop at the same time. Im sure GW will balance the Kharadrons acordingly. 

6 hours ago, Gecktron said:

The new edition and the Generals Handbook 2018 will drop at the same time. Im sure GW will balance the Kharadrons acordingly. 

If not, it will be the coup de grace for Kharadron. There's no real cheap Defense/resilient or cac unit to make them playable with no shooting melee. Hope that we will be able to shoot engaged unit or retreat and shoot for some units. Until June, i will definitely not invest money on mine.

Archived