Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

24 minutes ago, Origin said:

Had a couple of games on the weekend, fielded 10 WWR as you do being a wanderer army and wanting to use your own units. Deployed them as a counter punch unit behind the EG. Had a Free Peoples Chicken General hit the EG line who promptly teleported out of harms way. And in charged the WWR. So heroic, so resplendent with their shiny axes and flowing cloaks, the swung, they caused 9 wounding hits which promptly bounced off some wretched Armour of Meteoric Iron. The WWR promptly got eaten by the giant chicken.

"So you see Simba, we are all part of the circle of life..."

Even though they are geared to do a number on Monsters, and they just might but more often than not monsters have good saves, 2+ with reroll ones, save after the save etc. The D3 damage is good but -1 rend is just not enough to make use of the D3 damage. I will drop them from my lists as soon as i have my SoW built. I doubt SoW will be better but at least they combo a bit better with the rest of our forces.

Exactly! Even with D3 wounds they can be saved easily. Give me 2 mortal wounds on a 6 to hit no wound roll needed and no save allowed Any day. They should not be the same points as Executioners. 120 pts is reasonable to make up for the last 2 years having to pay 180. :D

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would just like to say that I always played Elves as my Elite army, while my Orcs and Goblins were my horde army.  I want Aelves to be elite - small numbers of highly efficient troops.  I.m happy to pay a high points cost for small units of high performing warriors that have their own distinct style and challenges on the table.  As things stand, I will end up with a horde army of Aelves, who are no different from all the other horde armies.  I will continue building up my Wanderers ( I moved into AOS as a Dark Elf player) at least to 1500 points as I have about 1200 painted available, not including allies.  Whether I go beyond that, I just don't know - at my painting speed it would take me a while and new Aelves are just around the corner.  I have a suspicion that they will fit the wanderers' concept better than the Wanderers do.  

I'm actually relatively optimistic about future support for Wanderers and a Battletome coming out. The EG/WWR and SotT/WR miniatures are very new and it's a faction that fits with the setting very well when the other Aelf factions seem a bit like square pegs. Even if they ditch Wanderers and go with a new faction I would expect the 2014 plastics to be re-purposed rather than scrapped. The Glade Guard and Sisters of the Watch kits I would expect to go though.

Oddly Sisters of the Watch are our only non-finecast unit to not receive a re-box and are still labelled Sisters of Avelorn on the store. I'd wager this is probably because they're a dual kit with the non-Wanderers Shadow Warriors. We are the only Aelf faction to receive this rebox treatment so hopefully its a good sign for the future.

On the topic of reboxes, I noticed today that some countries have seen rather significant price increases with the release. EG & SoT up to $70 from $48 in Australia, for example. :|

1 hour ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

Glade guard have also been reboxed in white boxes and are available in store. Bought some on Sunday and the assembly guide includes the warscroll - the warscroll lists gg bravery as 7 not six which is an errata from the order book and the app... so I think this is all positive for the mid term future of the range.

That's interesting since, at least here in the U.S., the GG are still only available in their original boxes...at least online. When did they make the switch in store?

10 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

Someone mentioned a Wanderers Celestial Hurricanum this was my take on it:

Dude this is awesome!!! I've seen this model on twitter, some guy did a Sylvaneth-themed Hurricanum with it. Where is it from? I couldn't find it so I went a different route. 

Also, what is that Spellsinger model, the one on the left? Looks like a non-GW model?

5 hours ago, Origin said:

Sister of the watch are a great kit. But glade guard are showing their age

I personally love the Glade Guard, I think the scrappy, leafy style leather armor is more fitting than the gems and scale armor that the Sisters, new EG and WWRs wear. I also think the poses are pretty versatile and the kit comes with loads of options and spare bits. Just personal taste though.

Regarding the WWR vs Blackguard, Blackguard is the clear winner. They have the same offensive stats, a better save, and they always have the reroll 1s to hit unlike the WWR who only have that if you take Nomad Prince and keep them in range. AND THEY COST LESS POINTS not sure what GW was smoking there lol. I guess Dark Elves are more balanced than shooty focused. But we don't have exceptional or unusually efficient shooting to make up for overcosted stuff. 

The Executioners are also better, being the same cost but having a better save and strong MW potential (which more than makes up for the lack of -1 rending).  Because they do MWs, I'd say Executioners are better than WWRs at killing monsters lol. 

And just to be clear, in case GW is reading this - I don't want WWRs and other Wanderers to drop in points, I just want them to be better!!!  Make elite aelves a thing again pleeeeease.

14 minutes ago, Tidings said:

And just to be clear, in case GW is reading this - I don't want WWRs and other Wanderers to drop in points, I just want them to be better!!!  Make elite aelves a thing again pleeeeease.

I totally agree. I don't want more aelves at less points. I don't want a horde army. I want awesome aelves. I don't mind paying premium points for premium units.

I remember when aelves benefited from higher than average WS and BS, plus initiative. They were squishy, but they were hard to hit and often got in the first attack. I love AoS simplified rules, but the power levels of everything else have come way up and the aelves have lost their natural advantages.

Sometimes the skeptic in me feels like the legacy factions got a halfhearted rules update when we moved from WFB to AoS. Seems like everything new comes with all these awesome abilities, two wounds, etc., while the legacy armies were thrown together with a core philosophy of "meh." I don't begrudge the new factions and their diverse rules sets (well, maybe Stormcast a little). I just want my faction to be awesome, too.

I still think the allegiance abilities are the best thing to happen to Wanderers since AoS came out. Love them. Now go that extra inch and "Make Wanderers Great Again!"

10 minutes ago, Tidings said:

Dude this is awesome!!! I've seen this model on twitter, some guy did a Sylvaneth-themed Hurricanum with it. Where is it from? I couldn't find it so I went a different route. 

Also, what is that Spellsinger model, the one on the left? Looks like a non-GW model?

I personally love the Glade Guard, I think the scrappy, leafy style leather armor is more fitting than the gems and scale armor that the Sisters, new EG and WWRs wear. I also think the poses are pretty versatile and the kit comes with loads of options and spare bits. Just personal taste though.

Regarding the WWR vs Blackguard, Blackguard is the clear winner. They have the same offensive stats, a better save, and they always have the reroll 1s to hit unlike the WWR who only have that if you take Nomad Prince and keep them in range. AND THEY COST LESS POINTS not sure what GW was smoking there lol. I guess Dark Elves are more balanced than shooty focused. But we don't have exceptional or unusually efficient shooting to make up for overcosted stuff. 

The Executioners are also better, being the same cost but having a better save and strong MW potential (which more than makes up for the lack of -1 rending).  Because they do MWs, I'd say Executioners are better than WWRs at killing monsters lol. 

Thanks ! This is the Celestial Fulcrum from Hordes.  I added the two GW spellsingers, and one Darkelf sorceress from Aatars of war ( wanderers paint scheme though) 

Hey Tidings I've really enjoyed reading your posts on new wanderer Tactics.  It may be too much, but It would be so awesome if you could diagram out a play by play of your Game with the Iron Jawz.  Wanderers seem like such a finesse high level tactics army with their new abilities.  It was great to get some form of an outline to utilize their abilities best.  Also the WWR vs Eternal Guard convo is interesting too.  I have one unit Eternal guard in my realm wanderers list and have to constuct another box of either eternal guard or Rangers.  Im thinking rangers just for variety sake and maybe to use as bate  as a priority target to lure my enemy into a trap.  

3 hours ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

In the uk there was no price change. Basically all the factions which got allegiance abilities in ghb17 got new white boxes. So disposed have been reboxed too.

There's been a little price increase, Wilder riders were 22.50 in the UK, Eternal Guard were 23.50. Both are now 25.

10 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

There's been a little price increase, Wilder riders were 22.50 in the UK, Eternal Guard were 23.50. Both are now 25.

I just looked in the US. EG are up to $40. They used to be $35 I think.

Also, GG are temporarily out of stock online. They must be getting their new white boxes.

Just bought some more Eternal Guard on Saturday in the new white box with round bases from GW and they cost £23.50.  It's possible they put the old price on by mistake I suppose.  It would be nice if Wanderers did receive a tome; one can but hope.  I think if they do, it will be a while.  Just built another 10 GG so not given up just yet.  Need to find a quicker way to paint them that leaves me with a result I'm happy with now we need so many of them and just found out there's a tournament at the local store at the end of the month! Chance to give the new rules a try out.

12 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

I'm actually relatively optimistic about future support for Wanderers and a Battletome coming out. The EG/WWR and SotT/WR miniatures are very new and it's a faction that fits with the setting very well when the other Aelf factions seem a bit like square pegs. Even if they ditch Wanderers and go with a new faction I would expect the 2014 plastics to be re-purposed rather than scrapped. The Glade Guard and Sisters of the Watch kits I would expect to go though.

I agree, what with Wanderers getting allegiance abilities and such in the GHBv2, i think its a good sign that a Battletome could well happen.

And if the allegiance abilities are anything to go by, we wont be disappointed .

34 minutes ago, Runicmadhamster said:

I agree, what with Wanderers getting allegiance abilities and such in the GHBv2, i think its a good sign that a Battletome could well happen.

And if the allegiance abilities are anything to go by, we wont be disappointed .

I really don't want to be that guy but in that Warhammer TV interview Jervis said that when they were deciding on the armies to get Allegiance abilities and coverage in GHB2.0 they "reviewed the Grand Alliance books and model ranges and picked the factions that Games Workshop would not be producing a battletome for soon, but that players would want to see."

So while I do think it is a sign of continued support for the Wanderers in the future, IE they won't be squatted,  it's not optimistic there will be a battletome any time soon.

24 minutes ago, Lord Veshnakar said:

I really don't want to be that guy but in that Warhammer TV interview Jervis said that when they were deciding on the armies to get Allegiance abilities and coverage in GHB2.0 they "reviewed the Grand Alliance books and model ranges and picked the factions that Games Workshop would not be producing a battletome for soon, but that players would want to see."

So while I do think it is a sign of continued support for the Wanderers in the future, IE they won't be squatted,  it's not optimistic there will be a battletome any time soon.

....so basically we'll see a Bretonnian Battletome :P

Archived