What is your MOST favorite faction and why?

Dez

Despite building up my Khorne army and starting off with a bit of Death, I'd say my favourite "overall" faction has to be Dwarves.  Many, many moons ago I picked up the £150 battleforce type box of Dwarves when I went on a trip to London - reckon we're talking Christmas 1999ish - the box contained numerous early release models and I always found something appealing with the stalwart folk.  Though many of the models have been sold/passed on, I always kept hold of the limited ed standard bearer and a couple of other units.  In time, I fully expect to have a AoS Duardin army (Kharadron may be calling out to me).

I've dabbled a bit with Vampire Counts and had built up quite a nice Beastmen army (until the army book completely changed how they actually work in the game) so also have a bit of a soft-spot for them alongside my Bloodbound which I can safely say is the only army I've ever been able to field that are is painted fully.  I'm trying really hard to not get distracted and keep adding models to it :P

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another started off with Tolkien/always loved Dwarves here. Never had a full army of them though, just bits and pieces. Wish I'd kept some of it when I took a break from the hobby, had some good stuff. The anvil of doom and gotrek/felix models are looking like they'll be expensive if I ever want to replace them. 

Then I got into chaos when there was a warband style mini game released in a white dwarf. That combined with the new warriors (well, not so new anymore, but they were back then) and that was my first (and still only) complete and painted WHFB army. Currently working on replacing them. 

The "steamhead" rumours had been going on for the 6 months or so when I got back into it all, and I can honestly say the Kharadron Overlords have not disappointed. Think they will see me finally having a fully fledged dwarf army. 

So, definitely dwarves for me, but quite a bit of chaos love in there too. To be honest though, if I had the money and the time, there are very few factions out there I wouldn't want. 

@Hollow Nice to see another person who loved that same Eldar Codex. I ended up buying so much, and painting it all so badly. Metal War Walkers, an Eldar Dreadnaught (back before the days of Wraithlords) - I hope that when I go home hunting for my Spacewolves and Lizardmen to sell I can find some old Eldar.

I remember when the Falcon and the Fire Prism came out, exciting days!

I think my forum Avatar says it all, can't wait to see some Elvses with bows again, I did like the rerelease of Wood Elves in 8th, loved the Treeman model, but I am still not sure whether I could collect a Sylvaneth armynow because there isn't enough Elf there and more plant.

I am curious whether I will like the first true elf release however, given how cool Mistweaver Saih and the Tenerbral Shard are in the Warhammer Quest box. For now I have satisfied my hobby hunger with Stormcast Eternals (I do like the Blood Angels aesthetic in 40k though so its an understandable thirst quencher).

Despite all that though, favourite unit has always been Glade Guard, and they are pretty cool now still, might even give the ones I have a new paint job and basing.

My first love is greenskins especially Goblins I love the cunning cruel little buggers. The way they can manipulate the orks to do what they want. 

I was a bit worried at first when they changed the names to Grots. That they might downgrade them to ork fodder like in 40K. But i'm encouraged that the Moonclan has it's own faction and it is looking good. Like a lot of people I fell out of the hobbie when I left school and I'm just getting back into it. I am a little sad the forest goblin troops have disappeared and only the spider riders are left. Hopefully since they are a small AOS faction they might get filled out again. I can always use my old mini's as Gitmob Grots. 

I also really love the fell water trolls but I have always hated the stone troll mini's. I really don't understand why they updated the river troll models but left the stone trolls as they were. Don't get me wrong I love the new look for the river trolls. However the old river trolls look so much better then the stone trolls so if you were only going to update 1 of them I would have picked the stone trolls every time.

So in AOS i'm destruction to the core. But i am feeling the pull of the new Tzeentch models those Tzaangors do look great. The Kharadron Overlords give me hope a new crazy Grot faction might come out with fantastic weapons and contraptions. Then I would be all over that and Tzeentch would have lost it opportunity.  

@DynamicCalories If there was a 'painting court'  I fear several life-sentences wouldn't be justice for the disastrous paint jobs I gave my early Eldar. The old metal Dreadnaughts and Walkers were like webs of glass, so fragile and prone to snapage at any moment. I also felt like some kind of Kung-fu master, if I was able to keep a squad of metal Swooping Hawks standing for more than 30 seconds. The Wraithguard were also hilarious back in 2nd edition, roll to hit, then a 1-3 and the enemy was gone, sucked forever into a vortex of doom. 

Of the factions firmly established in the AoS setting so far Sylvaneth are easily my favourite. They've got gorgeous models and an interesting and unique society, but most important of all they have a strong and compelling character. Their history of suffering under the age of chaos and the tragic narrative it lends them, Alarielle's mood shifts from the old world and lingering guilt/doubt over all that's happened, and their struggle with their darker natures (Outcasts...) all really appeals to me and gives them a lot of depth which I think any good faction needs.

I guess I like them for a lot of the same reasons as I love my high elves, which is easily the army I've collected the most of over the years. (They do share the same Everqueen after all :P)The idea of a magical, mysterious race blessed with awesome power but never entirely able to escape their own shortcomings and decline really appeals to me I guess!

Having said all that my first army was Bretonnia and I've always dabbled in humans/free peoples on the side as well... as others have mentioned there's a lot to be said for the humble human. Certainly the most relateable and familiar faction even if not a particularly powerful or unusual one xD

Well I collect Sylvaneth as they just looked cool when I got introduced back into the game, and they are fun to play (Drycha is just such a whirlwind on the battlefield). But I have to say I love the look of the Nurgle Rotbringers (so have quietly started purchasing a few bits).

I don't buy stuff on how great it is on the field of battle. I go by Rule of Cool. If I like the look I will buy stuff I like then get the book and then build an army around that. (doing it that way means I know I will enjoy building and painting)

Saying that I love Skaven and Dark Elf (as I had both armies long ago), so after Nurgle I may start on one of those too.

Elves have always been my favorite.  Any of the fantasy varieties, but Ive played wood elves the longest consistently.  The biggest downside to them is they are an intimidation to a person starting the hobby, since they look amazing when well painted, and have a tough time pulling off the dull dirty look that most other armies can get away with.

My first love was the TYRANIDS, inspired by the cover art on the 3rd edition codex, the moment I saw it i was hooked. I was always a big fan of the Aliens movies (and later on Starship Troopers). the Giegeresque quality of the Tyranids allowed me to field an entire army of "aliens". 

When my gaming group shifted from 40k to Fantasy some years ago I chose TOMB KINGS; their models are top notch, and i can't help but appreciate their attempts to cheat death, no matter the cost. The Ancient Egyptian parallel really spoke to me while I was in university studying archaeology... I think I spent more time on tomb-Kings.net than listening to my profs lectures. 

IMG_0380.JPG

This is a tough one.  

I'm a huge Nurgle fan.  I love that he represents many emotions sorely lacking from Warhammer--joviality, mercy, kinship.  Yet, he applies these virtues in such a backwards, alien fashion that the rest of reality despises him.  I find that humorous, kind of sad, and completely compelling all at the same time.  It doesn't hurt that Nurgle models typically appeal to the horror junkie in me, too.    

But there's also Skaven.  They're an entire race of Snidely Whiplash proxies.  Their only admirable trait is that they're clever, in every other respect, they're absolutely loathsome.  And I love that about them.  I can't think of another fantasy race that goes to the extreme that Skaven do in being utterly beyond contempt; they're obsequious, vain, bigoted, cowardly, short-sighted, conniving, cruel, unhygienic, and dishonest, and they are physically incapable of being anything else.  I love that.  

So it's hard to pick between those two, although the Kharadron Overlords might wind up giving them a run for their money.

My favourite factions are those alligned with Khorne. This means that I really liked Bloodbound, am overly happy with Blades of Khorne and am looking very forward on how World Eaters will change for 40K in the upcomming edition.

The prime reason as to why I like Khorne so much is because he solely embraces the warrior. In most PC games I also pick that as my class and I really always like the idea of a melee only warrior. Some short ranged attacks are allowed, magic is for other classes and in general my weapons to pick are Swords, Axes and wicked Maces.

Blood for the Bloodgod! 

10 hours ago, erasercrumbs said:

This is a tough one.  

But there's also Skaven.  They're an entire race of Snidely Whiplash proxies.  Their only admirable trait is that they're clever, in every other respect, they're absolutely loathsome.  And I love that about them.  I can't think of another fantasy race that goes to the extreme that Skaven do in being utterly beyond contempt; they're obsequious, vain, bigoted, cowardly, short-sighted, conniving, cruel, unhygienic, and dishonest, and they are physically incapable of being anything else.  I love that. 

I have to agree wholeheartedly about Skaven. Their commitment and consistency to dishonest backstabbing is almost admirable. It's like when your watching a movie and you end up empathizing with the villain more than the hero. I just can't help but love Skaven, and maybe it's because they are slaves to their own twisted nature.

I also love most factions and think that AoS will follow the character classes of modern times. To me the Khorne are the Warriors, Tzeentch the Sorcerers, Nurgle the Executioners and Skaven the Assassins, eventhough all have some blends and Undivided is the blend of the old I do really like this split up thats akin to a lot of media.

2 hours ago, Lavy said:

Let's dig deep here. Slaanesh is a gender fluid other-kin wearing the skin of a cis white male.

Nope in my mind Slaanesh is a hamburger because slaanesh appears as the thing you most desire and I like hamburgers. 

My first foray into warhammer was skaven I just loved the rats, loved painting them. My true love is all things undead since in fantasy settings I love necromantic factions and lore. So collected and painted a heap of undead to the point my fellows raised eyebrows at me for refusing to drybrush my zombies(We need new zombies GW PLEASE). 

The second thing close to my heart is all things slaanesh I love the whole corrupting aspect of it since everyone is plagued by desires poor, rich, middle class and how in real life people fall prey to such things and a daemonic/mortal worshiping faction was up my ally. Plus I like how slaanesh in my eyes takes ques from satan in terms of corruption, desire, pride etc. Also reading how the "good" factions have to deal with such things and prevent people falling to corruption. 

Thirdly I have a devoted of sigmar faction yes I am also a fan of the crazy religious zealots I dunno man they are just cool! DEUS VULT!

I'm new to Warhammer tabletop after mainly liking 40k artwork I've seen posted on the internet over the many years. Once I got Total War: Warhammer I learned of all the diversity in fantasy and it wasn't just slightly different Tolkien-esque fantasy. Nothing wrong with that as I'm a fan of Tolkien but it didn't exactly seem as interesting as 40k. TW:W exposed me to the other races and I started to fall in love with the look of the Tomb Kings, especially as a history buff. The undead imagery combined with Egyptian lore was so compelling and Settra is just such a badass. Nagash is a great villain as well.

I then found about the Skaven and bought my Spire of Dawn set to start an army of them. They are both so comical as well as dangerous and sinister that it's compelling. The fact they also are so diverse with all the clans is a huge plus from a fluff and gameplay standpoint. I also love the risk associated with the equipment backfiring. 

Right now the new Tzeentch releases are my next buy. I didn't like the look of the daemons at first but the new arcanites are awesome. I also love how  Tzeentch is like the Joker of the Chaos gods. He is super clever and a master manipulator but really just wants to have fun. It's all a game to him and he won't hesitate to blow his own plans up if it means more havoc can be caused. 

I hope GW really stops coming up with all this cool stuff or I'll be (even more) broke.

Gotta love my Fyreslayers for this dwarf/duardin nut. What little fluff there is in the "novel" was nice but their inclusion in the later RGW campaign books helped. I love the playability, SLAYERS, aesthtics, SLAYERS, tunneling and despite all the drawbacks of playing this solo army now 115 times, ****** the magic/unbinding, I love me some sons of Grimnir. New points...B|:x

Also enjoyed discussing the army with several GW folks at Adepticon.

• 1 month later...

I've started with fantasy with Tolkien also, and so elves and dwarves go toe-to-toe. But the first place long since belongs to vampires - there is something epic and tragic together in very mighty creatures who are stuck with the powerful curse til the end of time.

Archived