Blood Warriors: Goreblade in the champion?

Galas

This its a stupid question but that just strike me talking with a friend.

The typical special weapon option of a warscrol... can you give it to the squad leader? 

I have all my miniatures mounted with the special weapon in another guy, an thats why he its always the last to die after the champion. But if its true that I can give them to the champion and just have 1 more attack with the special weapon, I'll fell very stupid :P 

1 hour ago, Galas said:

Hmm... going further the rabit hole.

Can the champion be the standard bearer, the musician, and have too the special weapon? :D 

Going RAW, its actually posible. No? 

I suppose from a modelling point of view he could have the axe in both hands, the drum on his back with drumsticks operated by ropes on his feet and the standard sticking out of the top

I was actually having the mental image of a chaos champion with a giant blade and a banner at his back. The musician part brokes the awesomeness of the scene, but this its actually interesting if its posible :D 

10 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I suppose from a modelling point of view he could have the axe in both hands, the drum on his back with drumsticks operated by ropes on his feet and the standard sticking out of the top

Not entirely sure I like the idea of my blood warrior champion looking like this lol

4U6uKIl.jpg

You can by the rules yes. I dont however as I use the champion from the Starter as the leader for my mob of 15 Blood Warriors. 

To me, it doesnt seem right to give the special weapons to the unit leaders. I feel the same way with my Stormcast as well. Just personal preference and self-moderation. I also only take 1 in 5 Maces with my Paladins as I feel the 2-5 is not sporting or fun for my opponent. 

Feels right to me that the most badass chap in the unit would demand the most badass weapon available. Especially in a Khorne army

I 100% get the apprehension though, and I think it's got a lot to do with how the special weapons are never presented that way in box art, etc. Additionally, the units number of special weapons scales with the unit probably has an effect too - so, sometimes you could have a unit with two Goreblades, and the Champion no longer feels unique. Sometimes the special weapons don't synergise well with the Champions bonus either - a Starsoul Mace is wasted on a Paladin champion, for example. And then there's the fact it's an upgrade for any model in the unit, rather than specifically the champion - but doesn't exclude him - which is a bit of a new way of thinking for GW games IMO; the nonspecific wording contrasted with the change results in confusion - not unlike when AoS first came out and people weren't sure if they could shoot into/out of combat, etc.

Consequently, to use 40K Space Marines as an example, people tend to see the weapon upgrades as more like a units plasma gun than giving a Sergeant a power sword or something. When in reality, it's like both and it's like neither.

Similar question:  the chaos chariot warscroll sez that "[a] unit of Chaos Chariots consists of any number of models" and "[t]he leader of this unit is the Exalted Charioteer. His attacks with a Chaos Greatblade or Chaos War-flail hit on 3+ rather than 4+." If I am running a unit consisting of a single chariot, that one dude is de-facto the Exalted Charioteer, right?

It feels like it's going against old WHFB logic in the same way but I can't see anything preventing it.

1 minute ago, sandlemad said:

Similar question:  the chaos chariot warscroll sez that "[a] unit of Chaos Chariots consists of any number of models" and "[t]he leader of this unit is the Exalted Charioteer. His attacks with a Chaos Greatblade or Chaos War-flail hit on 3+ rather than 4+." If I am running a unit consisting of a single chariot, that one dude is de-facto the Exalted Charioteer, right?

It feels like it's going against old WHFB logic in the same way but I can't see anything preventing it.

Yup, if you're only rocking a single chariot in a unit, they'll be the champion :)

Archived