The "How do Destruction deal with Shooting" Thread

Gaz Taylor

Seeing how other parts of the forum have similar threads and we are now in the Age of Shooting, I'm curious how other Destruction Generals deal with mass shooting. I was at the Alliance event over the weekend and faced two armies which fit into this category. I ran the following army...

Leaders

Frostlord on Stonehorn - General with Bellowing Tyrant

Frostlord on Stonehorn - with Battlebrew

Huskard on Thundertusk - with Blood Vulture

Units

Ogors x 9 - with Crusher, Bellower & Icon Bearer with Tribal Banner

Ogors x 6 - with Crusher, Bellower & Icon Bearer with Tribal Banner

Ogors x 3 - with Crusher, Bellower & Icon Bearer with Tribal Banner

I've been running this list now for a few months and I quite enjoy using it. I've also found it is interesting against shooty armies. Over the weekend, I played against the following...

Ben Johnson and Stormcast Eternals

Heros

Lord Aquilor (200) - General - Staunch Defender - Aethereal Stalker

Lord Celestant On Dracoth (220) - Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield - Armor of Silvered Sigmarite - Keen-clawed

Knight Venator (120) - Artefact: Luckstone

Units

5 x Judicators (160) - Prime - Skybolt Bows - 1x Shockbolt Bow

5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140) - Prime - Astral Compass

5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140) - Prime - Asral Compass

3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180) - Prime with Aetherwing

3 x Aetherwings (60)

3 x Aetherwings (60)

3 x Aetherwings (60)

3 x Vanguard-Palladors (220) - Starstrike Javelins - Prime

Vanguard Justicar Conclave (60)

Jon Green and Order

Heros

Grimwrath Berzerker (80)

Skink Starseer (160)

Units

5 x Vulkite Berzerkers (60)

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (180) - Greatbows

Celestial Hurricanum (320) 

Both armies were tough to fight against but in both cases I came close to getting a win. Against Ben, the scenario was Blood and Glory and I nearly won but lost due to me not understanding you just activate objectives and don't need to sit on them. This meant that I became less aggressive last few turns which allowed Ben to get last minute objectives for a minor win.

Against Jon, the scenario was Gift from the Heavens and I was lucky with my objective landing by my unit of six Ogors and his landed in a mass brawl in the centre of his side of the board. I had a slight run of slightly below average luck while Jon had slightly above which helped turn the tables for him to table me and get a Major win.

In both these games I played it with both Frostlords going forwards backed up by the unit of 9 Ogors and Thundertusk. So in a sense I was doing a Blitzkrieg and if you get slightly lucky, you can get first round charges which gives the rest of the army time to either get objectives or rush up and kill stuff. But I know that this is not how everybody runs their army and I would like to think there are more options in the Destruction Alliance than using Frostlords on Stonehorns. 

So what do you guys use or been thinking about using?

I run pure Ironjawz but I've not had the opportunity to take on such a focused range force yet.

I can't see any other way other than speed and focused charges to be viable tactics.  I guess the trick is to make them split there concentrated fire? Sacrificial high wound units too sitting on objectives and forcing the opponent to devote attention to them would be another way to go (I use 20 man Ardboy units for this)....

Be interesting to see others opinions

3 huskards on thundertusk

savage big boss

40 savage orruks w/bows

10 savage orruks your choice 

20 moonclan your choice w/fanatic

kunnin rukk 

Not mine... but Such a nasty list

may still have trouble wiTh the sylvaneth though

19 hours ago, Hyperion said:

savage big boss

40 savage orruks w/bows

kunnin rukk 

Wow that sounds brutal... And Kunnin'.

Personally with Ironjawz I make sure to kill the ranged units first. I vanguard deploy my units and rush them as soon as possible. The destruction move + Ironfist is ideal for this. I also take Ravager against shooty lists for the extra 2".

18 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Wow those lists are just lame. But that's tourneys!

Depends on your point of view but you are right it was a tournament so expect hard stuff! I just happen to find this fun but I know other people don't ;)

18 hours ago, Dez said:

I love Ben Johnson's list. I love high movement shenanigans mixed with shooting/resilient troops. It's always been about the Cult of Speed for me :)

It was fun to play against. I think it could be more movable using the Angelos Battalion and a firebase of Raptors but this thread isn't about that ;) 

22 hours ago, Hyperion said:

savage big boss

40 savage orruks w/bows

kunnin rukk 

From a background point of view, part of me always goes "Urrgghh" when seeing Bonesplitters with Big Monsters, but yes that is a brutal list. 

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, Anaticula said:

When you play Ironjawz:

The only thing I see is blocking line of sight with Ardboyz.

And then be fast.

What do Ardboys block line of sight to in an Ironjawz army?! :S 

Unfortunately when it comes to Ironjawz, there's not a massive amount you can do by way of being clever. In fact it's easy to overthink it and try to be too cute. Often, making the most of Rampaging Destroyers and the Ironfist's moves to really pressure your opponent as quickly as possible is the simplest and most sensible way to go. A lot of Matched Play battleplans revolve around objective scoring, so if you can push into your opponent and pen them in, you can get up on the scoring early. Even if they do eventually shoot you off you may find you've done enough, just be sure to stay mindful of the objectives when just "Pushing it forward". A good double turn can be all you need to see off a gunline.

All that said, it's really not easy tbh and can be a hard slog. In most situations though I reckon Ironjawz want to run the gauntlet and try to weather the storm. We achieve nothing sitting off.

Obviously mixed Destruction and our other Allegiances will have some better options. This is pure Ironjawz (what I know).

Destruction has a very hard time with shooting unless you're also shooting. Ironjawz would have more game with a point reduction, right now it's kind of just take it on the chin and see what gets there. BCR really start falling apart when the Heroes begin to go down and all the popular shooting lists do very bad things to Monsters. Getting a Frostlord into a screen by going second and double turning is probably the best answer but I don't like Initiative reliant strategies.

Bonesplitterz might have the most game with cheap, MSU, 2 Wound Unit spam. Unfortunately that list has huge problems against Armor Saves. I think any anti-gunline army has to bring its own shooting or you won't get through the screens fast enough and has to be able to deal with Armor Saves or you will lose to Hunters in their own Terrain.

My personal opinion is that shooting just won't lose into most of the field right now and there's not really a way around it until the new GHB shakes things up. Melee Units need to get cheaper, shooting needs to get more expensive across the board. Then the game will shine a bit more.

I feel part of it is down to the fact that shooting units aren't disadvanteed when they enter combat, they can shoot and engage in the two melee phases per turn which can make some shooting units endure considerably better then their subpar(? in regards . to stormcast and savage archers) stats would otherwise suggest. I don't believe it's wrong that it's this way, just I don't believe the points of shooting accurately repersent just how good having a extra flexable range band. E.g. literally every ranged unit could be engaged, but despite this they can all focus fire a unit off the board even after possibly having a turn or two of being unrelatively molested, which means they still have the power of selective engagement all the time.

Being an aspiring ironjaws player, I recongise I have zero tools in which to deal with this, other then rushing them as fast as possible and hope the game doesn't involve an objective they can defend by sitting back.

Archived