The best Maggoth Lord?

I have a Maggoth Lord model that I'm planning to magnetise, so it can be run as any of the 3 available lord options. What I'd like to know is which one do you think is the best from a gameplay standpoint? And not just which one is the best, but which one gives the most flexibility in terms of army composition, and what does each one synergise well with?

Bloab i think he is the best from a competitive point of view since it is a mage, not bad in close combat, and his debuff is pretty good.

Orghotts imho is the worst of the 3, his melee is good and his command abilities is really good at 1000 points (but an harbinger is better)

Morbidex sinergies very well with nurglings, hits way harder than orghotts and heals wounds.

Depends on ur army but i would go for bloab between the 3

7 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Bloab i think he is the best from a competitive point of view since it is a mage, not bad in close combat, and his debuff is pretty good.

Orghotts imho is the worst of the 3, his melee is good and his command abilities is really good at 1000 points (but an harbinger is better)

Morbidex sinergies very well with nurglings, hits way harder than orghotts and heals wounds.

Depends on ur army but i would go for bloab between the 3

Interesting. I was leaning towards Orghotts for a 1000 pt list for exactly the reasons you mention. He's also the only one of the 3 that actually has a command ability, which seems to count against the others. I can imagine various army builds with him at the centre, whereas Bloab doesn't seem to synergise with anything and Morbidex seems pointless unless you go ultra Nurgling-heavy.

bloab does more damage than you initially think. check his spell out, and his passive ability, if near a prolonged combat he can massively influence the outcome just by existing, and the lack of command ability allows you to take something like the harbinger of decay.

23 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

...whereas Bloab doesn't seem to synergise with anything and Morbidex seems pointless unless you go ultra Nurgling-heavy.

The key is that Bloab synergies with everything.  He has two key abilities.  He projects a nearby aura that has a chance to get a -1 to hit to enemy units on a 4+.  His spell is also crazy good when planned around since it can do d3 Mortal wounds in each phase of a turn.  This means that it can easily pump out 4d3 Mortal wounds with each casting (you hero phase, your shooting phase, your combat phase, enemy combat phase).  Both of these abilities are fantastic.  

Orghott's combat ability is ineffectual and his command ability is functionally available for 60 points cheaper on a Chaos Warshrine that a) isn't a hero and b) also projects a 6++ ward save.  I like Morbidex but you need to plan for at least 1 unit of Nurglings with his, possibly 2, which pushes his cost up to over 400.  That said he has a rare 3+ save that isn't often found in Chaos.  Unfortunately, as a non-caster non-general, he is competing in a space with other combat models and doesn't fair so well with his lack of -2 Rend.  Compare him for example to Belakor.  Belakor has better attacks, a worse save but don't let that fool you as he is immune to rend and not a monster so he can get cover bonuses.  Belakor's also a wizard that casts two spells per round (with a nice debuff!) and has the Dark Master ability which can shut down a strategic enemy unit for an entire turn.  Oh, and Belakor flies and costs 20 less points.  Morbidex just doesn't compete in the slot he's trying to fill.

Those are my thoughts.

24 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Interesting. I was leaning towards Orghotts for a 1000 pt list for exactly the reasons you mention. He's also the only one of the 3 that actually has a command ability, which seems to count against the others. I can imagine various army builds with him at the centre, whereas Bloab doesn't seem to synergise with anything and Morbidex seems pointless unless you go ultra Nurgling-heavy.

I pointed out tho that an harbinger is way more impressive and does much more as a general than him. Not only because the command ability is strictly better, but also because allows to take traits (lord of war and dark avenger) and artefacts.

Morbidex i think is underrated, just place him near a unit of 6 nurglings and they will never die, flooding anything to come into (except big boys). 

Bloab just as @Arkiham said is the way better of the 3 (good spell, decent melee, awesome ability that stacks with blightguard, with plaguetouched warband and in general is good since nurgle is meant to be tanky)

Imho u should just go for bloab (i love orghotts model, tho he is not quite as good as the rotspawned).

Hope i have been useful.

By the way i am speaking in a pure competitive aspect, i think that if u are playing with friends any of the 3 will be fine ;)

Edit: @Thomas Lyons is right about pretty much everything and explained it way better than me :D

All very good advice. I'm not a competitive player by any means, but I have this compulsion to plan armies on the basis that I might one day want to use them in a competitive setting - I have no idea why! Irritatingly, Bloab is my least favourite miniature but seems to be the best choice. Hrrm.....

1 hour ago, Thomas Lyons said:

The key is that Bloab synergies with everything.  He has two key abilities.  He projects a nearby aura that has a chance to get a -1 to hit to enemy units on a 4+.  His spell is also crazy good when planned around since it can do d3 Mortal wounds in each phase of a turn.  This means that it can easily pump out 4d3 Mortal wounds with each casting (you hero phase, your shooting phase, your combat phase, enemy combat phase).  Both of these abilities are fantastic.  

Orghott's combat ability is ineffectual and his command ability is functionally available for 60 points cheaper on a Chaos Warshrine that a) isn't a hero and b) also projects a 6++ ward save.  I like Morbidex but you need to plan for at least 1 unit of Nurglings with his, possibly 2, which pushes his cost up to over 400.  That said he has a rare 3+ save that isn't often found in Chaos.  Unfortunately, as a non-caster non-general, he is competing in a space with other combat models and doesn't fair so well with his lack of -2 Rend.  Compare him for example to Belakor.  Belakor has better attacks, a worse save but don't let that fool you as he is immune to rend and not a monster so he can get cover bonuses.  Belakor's also a wizard that casts two spells per round (with a nice debuff!) and has the Dark Master ability which can shut down a strategic enemy unit for an entire turn.  Oh, and Belakor flies and costs 20 less points.  Morbidex just doesn't compete in the slot he's trying to fill.

Those are my thoughts.

dont forget its each phase, where you do damage. in the charge phase if you run a gorebeast or glottkin etc,  you can get damage in the charge phase, the beasts of nurgle also allow you potential to do damage in the opponents charge phase, im sure some units do damage in the movement phase also, 

Just now, Arkiham said:

dont forget its each phase, where you do damage. in the charge phase if you run a gorebeast or glottkin etc,  you can get damage in the charge phase, the beasts of nurgle also allow you potential to do damage in the opponents charge phase, im sure some units do damage in the movement phase also, 

I knew it was each phase but I had forgotten there were things that damaged in the charge phase.  

I have also been considering this and yes I would go with Bloab. As well as his excellent spells and abilities that others have eloquently described, his maggoth s shooting attack is -2 rend and that amount of rend is rare in Nurgle units. He's a really good package. I like Bloab himself as a miniature  he's quite unique compared to the other Rotbringers with the disgusting maggots coming out of his face but I am not as keen on his version of the maggoth. 

10 minutes ago, Percivael said:

I have also been considering this and yes I would go with Bloab. As well as his excellent spells and abilities that others have eloquently described, his maggoth s shooting attack is -2 rend and that amount of rend is rare in Nurgle units. He's a really good package. I like Bloab himself as a miniature  he's quite unique compared to the other Rotbringers with the disgusting maggots coming out of his face but I am not as keen on his version of the maggoth. 

I've built my maggoth as Morbidex's because I prefer the look. The rider can be swapped out though. Hopefully no one will mind/notice.

Hey,

My Chaos army that I was using up until GH killed it (increased Varanguard points and Battleline) had Orghotts in it. It was a pretty weak list but was good fun. Orghotts is the coolest of the 3 aesthetically IMO and was a bit of a boss in the End Times; Glottkin book (though we could've done with more fluff on all of them tbh).

The main problem with him I found was his damage 1 on all attacks. His damage output is truly terrible and considering that's his "thing", he's kinda in trouble. Hopefully he'll get a substantial drop in GH2 as I'd love to get my model on the table again.

As others have said, ruleswise Bloab is your man. However, sounds like you've gone down the right route of magnetising them so you can play around with different options.

I'd agree with Bloab as well.  That spell is nasty.  If you're using Blightkings or another wizard, make sure you get this spell off first.  Then hit them with Discharge or an Arcane Bolt.  Don't forget your shooting attack either.  Then enjoy combat.  That's easily three opportunities to get another d3 Mortal Wounds out.  I need to remember that it lasts into my opponents turn as well! >.<

Keep in mind your 2" and 3" ranges for combat as well so you can stay behind friendly models and swing away.

A -1 to hit ontop of Blightguard or Plaguesworn's -1s are mucho nice!

23 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

As others have said, ruleswise Bloab is your man. However, sounds like you've gone down the right route of magnetising them so you can play around with different options.

18 hours ago, Goodwin said:

I'd agree with Bloab as well.  That spell is nasty.  If you're using Blightkings or another wizard, make sure you get this spell off first.  Then hit them with Discharge or an Arcane Bolt.  Don't forget your shooting attack either.  Then enjoy combat.  That's easily three opportunities to get another d3 Mortal Wounds out.  I need to remember that it lasts into my opponents turn as well! >.<

Keep in mind your 2" and 3" ranges for combat as well so you can stay behind friendly models and swing away.

A -1 to hit ontop of Blightguard or Plaguesworn's -1s are mucho nice!

So would you say that Bloab can be teamed up effectively with just about anything that has the Nurgle keyword? It doesn't seem like he synergises with anything as such. Blightkings seem like a good choice to accompany him, but do you think he would work just as well with Plaguebearers?

16 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

So would you say that Bloab can be teamed up effectively with just about anything that has the Nurgle keyword? It doesn't seem like he synergises with anything as such. Blightkings seem like a good choice to accompany him, but do you think he would work just as well with Plaguebearers?

I do.  His -1 will stack with the natural penalties on the Plaguebearers, which means that they would be -2 to his in melee and -3 to hit from ranged (assuming the ranged unit is within range of Bloab).  Another good source of penalty stacking for Bloab is actually the -1s from the  Plaguesworn and Blightguard battalions (which are both Nurgle Mortal battalions).  Being Nurgle mortal himself, he can actually be included in the Plaguesworn Warband.  He also gains the ability to benefit from the Harbinger of Decay's 5+ ward save, which is pretty amazing.  

For synergies with his spell, you'll want to generate damage in the various phases.  Another spell caster (for Arcane Bolt) or less reliably the Blight King's aura will trigger it in the Hero phase.  Ranged attacks from Bloab himself, Plagueclaw Catapuls or Plague Drones can trigger it in the Shooting phase.  Somethings like Gorebeast Chariots can trigger it in the charge phase.  Anything can trigger it in the combat phase (obviously).  You just need to make sure to milk that spell in every phase whenever you can.  

49 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

You just need to make sure to milk that spell in every phase whenever you can.  

That's great advice, thanks!

I haven't ran them before, but Gorebeast Chariots also have a chance of doing a mortal wound in the charge phase.  If you were already using them it could be a cheeky way to squeeze another d3 Mortal Wounds out of a different phase.  Just remember it occurs in the Charge and not Combat phases.

Again, not sure if I'd build around it but if you had it anyway to fill up Plaguesworn or something.

1 hour ago, Goodwin said:

I haven't ran them before, but Gorebeast Chariots also have a chance of doing a mortal wound in the charge phase.  If you were already using them it could be a cheeky way to squeeze another d3 Mortal Wounds out of a different phase.  Just remember it occurs in the Charge and not Combat phases.

Again, not sure if I'd build around it but if you had it anyway to fill up Plaguesworn or something.

Excellent point.  I have a tourney list that I'm planning on taking Bloab in a Plaguesworn Warband with. Hmmmm....

It's good to see people suggesting things like Plague Drones, Plagueclaws, Sorcerers and Gorebeast Chariots to support Bloab, since this is exactly the stuff I've been leaning towards in my tentative 1000pt and 2000pt lists. Suggests I'm thinking along the right lines!

Slightly off-topic, but how do people find Epidemius? Are his buffs worth it? The only downside I can see is that if you're facing an army of elites then you're going to end up with quite a low tally.

I played epi in a 4k game. he was great, buffs really paid off, but I had to build that up against 1 wound models, against multiwound he's useless.

So he has potential but it's very limited, and tbh really lacking as once he's dead it's gone.

His buffs need to be permanent I feel considering how the game has changed since 8th, that or change the trigger to models on board or wounds dealt etc. Requiring models slain is nuts considering you could end up against ironjawz, stormcast, ogors,  orruks, stormcast, chaos, beastclaw etc who are all multiwound models with decent saves.

Take you 4 turns to build up the wounds to be significant which aren't important for Matched play or easy for nurgle, am by then you're either winning hard or lost. 

So in short. Forget about taking him in matched lol.

I used Bloab alongside Morbidex and Blightguard and he's great. 

The -1 comes in useful (both magic and to hit) - he's ok in combat - his shooting is useful. Good all rounder. I think you need a wizard alongside him to make the most of his spell though, which means they pair up and can't cover more ground.

I like morbidex for his 3+, decent combat and speed. Orghotts is garbage and don't use him despite having all 3 of them,

I just had a game against an ironjaws list (2000 points) that had the shaman, warchanta, 30 or 40 ardboyz, brutes, maw krusha and like 3 or 4 units of ogres. I ran my list as glotkin, bloab, harbinger of decay, 20 blightkings, festus, nurgle chaos sorcerer in a plagetouched warband, which made everyone on the board (except for the nurgle sorcerer)-1 to hit.

Bloab and a unit of blight kings went straight at maw krusha and a unit of ogres. Hit maw krusha with miasma, and although I couldnt get an arcane bolt off to save my life, shooting and attacking in combat, then damaging him in his combat phase to get d3 mortals each time (had some good rolls on that) along with his attacks and and blightkings, took him down in 2 turns. He was -2 to hit every turn (bloabs demon flies, and battalion) and couldnt do jack! 

Bloab is a beast. 

Archived