Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

As we are sharing lists from Blood Tithe I thought I’d share mine as well. So I played the following:

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
- General
- Trait: Violent Urgency  
- Artefact: Gorecleaver  
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune  
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars(120)
- Allies

Battleline
40 x Bloodreavers (240)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
3 x Khorgoraths (240)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Reinforcement Points (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 120 / 400
Wounds: 154

So I faced a good variety of armies over the weekend.

Firstly I faced Fyreslayers rocking a mighty 45 Hearthguard bezerkers in Battle for the Pass.

Game 2 was Mixed Order containing 60 Phoenix Guard and 60 Arkanaut Company in Duality of Death.

Game 3 saw me take on the Legion of Sacrament containing Arkhan, Mannfred and Neferata in Total Conquest.

Game 4 was Starstrike vs Skyborn slayers.

Game 5 saw me finish the weekend taking on Clan Skryre including an impressive 9 stormfiends all of which were armed with warpfire projectors in Scorched Earth.

So there were some really diverse games in there and I have to say going into the weekend I was very worried that my list was not going to stand up to the strength of the other lists on show. However, I was extremely pleased and surprised to finish the weekend with 5 major wins. 

I have now played 39 games with Khorne and for sure don’t think many other people have been running a similar list to me. What I found is that it has a nice combination of mobility, board denial, hitting power and reach. In no way do I think it’s a tier 1 list but it was in every game right to the end. The addition of the Gaunt Summoner has been a recent one but has proved to add a whole new dynamic to the list. I think the secret to the lists success has been that it does not have 1 super-threat but multiple equal threats. 

Anyway, thought I’d just share the list with you all.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/03/2018 at 4:34 PM, kozokus said:

Just making a small report here.

I was in the Blood Tithe tournament and played this Khorne List :

WOKBT with crown and immense power

2 Bloodstocker, one with the brazen rune

Bloodsecrator

2 Slaughterpriests with +1 to hit prayer

2X30 Bloodletters

10 Bwarriors and 10 Reavers --- Gore pilgrim

5 Wrathmongers.

Out of interest, why did you choose to put the brazen rune on the bloodstoker rather than blood secreator? I find that the secrator is the one I need to keep alive more than a bloodstoker. Just interested to explore the subtle changes when looking at different lists.

I agree with putting it on the stoker.

Adds redundancy in your magic resiliance.

Plus i came to the realisation that ive never had a blood secrator magic'd off in the first turn. However, he has been skyfire'd, spear chuck'd and other long range shooty stuff'd (but mainly skyfires). If youre running gore pilgrims thats a double loss if he had the brazen rune.

41 minutes ago, Gitli said:

Out of interest, why did you choose to put the brazen rune on the bloodstoker rather than blood secreator? I find that the secrator is the one I need to keep alive more than a bloodstoker. Just interested to explore the subtle changes when looking at different lists.

More or less what @TheAdequateWargamer said.

-Magic users usually have to be at 18" from the Bloodsecrator to attack him, they end up this way in the Loathsome magic zone and usually into the Slaughterpriest dispell zone and also in the charge range of 30 angry bloodletters, not worried.

-My bloodsecrator never died any single time by magic but by skyfire, spearchukas, awesome charges and Stardrake's storm. If i loose the Bloodsecrator to shooting i loose the rune. No one target a bloodstocker.

-The last Faq of the brazen rune states that it has infinite range but says nothing about dispelling while beeing in sight if the caster.  (nothing says  it has to or not) By giving it to a mobile character like the Bloodstocker that will be in sight range of anybody i cut any discussion that could occur.

2 hours ago, Gitli said:

I have now played 39 games with Khorne and for sure don’t think many other people have been running a similar list to me. What I found is that it has a nice combination of mobility, board denial, hitting power and reach. In no way do I think it’s a tier 1 list but it was in every game right to the end. The addition of the Gaunt Summoner has been a recent one but has proved to add a whole new dynamic to the list. I think the secret to the lists success has been that it does not have 1 super-threat but multiple equal threats. 

I think the list looks ace, it covers the options you want and is just solid. In addition one of the most fun aspects about Khorne is that it's very combat focused but this is also where the tactical depth of the game lies in. It's because of this that Khorne can be great because it's dominant factor can be found in combat. Going in with multiple strong blocks works.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, kozokus said:

More or less what @TheAdequateWargamer said.

-Magic users usually have to be at 18" from the Bloodsecrator to attack him, they end up this way in the Loathsome magic zone and usually into the Slaughterpriest dispell zone and also in the charge range of 30 angry bloodletters, not worried.

-My bloodsecrator never died any single time by magic but by skyfire, spearchukas, awesome charges and Stardrake's storm. If i loose the Bloodsecrator to shooting i loose the rune. No one target a bloodstocker.

-The last Faq of the brazen rune states that it has infinite range but says nothing about dispelling while beeing in sight if the caster.  (nothing says  it has to or not) By giving it to a mobile character like the Bloodstocker that will be in sight range of anybody i cut any discussion that could occur.

Yeah I lost my bloodsecrator just once but the rune had been used by then. I think I just worry as my bloodstoker has often died turn 1 which means I’d have never been able to use the artefact if it was on him. 

Thanks for the response though. Always good to understand more. 

5 hours ago, Gitli said:

I have now played 39 games with Khorne and for sure don’t think many other people have been running a similar list to me. What I found is that it has a nice combination of mobility, board denial, hitting power and reach. In no way do I think it’s a tier 1 list but it was in every game right to the end.

I have noticed your list when they came out and i wondered if there was any special deployment/rule/tactic you where using extensively to make it to victory.

Do you have any plan in mind when you fielded it? What are the strenths and weaknesses?

When i build my list i usually have a specific plan in mind (like delivering something pointy to my ennemy turn 1) and if countered you can pack your models and grab a beer, i and almost never play the water warrior.

1 hour ago, kozokus said:

I have noticed your list when they came out and i wondered if there was any special deployment/rule/tactic you where using extensively to make it to victory.

Do you have any plan in mind when you fielded it? What are the strenths and weaknesses?

When i build my list i usually have a specific plan in mind (like delivering something pointy to my ennemy turn 1) and if countered you can pack your models and grab a beer, i and almost never play the water warrior.

To be honest the list is useful for several reasons but the main one is flexibility.

If my opponent has an alpha threat I have an enormous chaff wall to get through with the reavers. If they are not required for that then they can be used to bubblewrap heroes or they can move up and deny a huge area of the board and claim objectives. With the option of pushing them with a balewind and whipping them with the stoker you can easily get them over the centre line and in some cases for a turn 1 charge. When they are fully buffed and charging they hit like a truck. 40 models, 3 attacks each, 2+ to hit, 3+ Re-rolling 1s to wound, -1 rend is brilliant at threatening multiple units at once. Including the balewind shovevtheor potential threat range turn 1 is something like 25”. With the battleshock immunity they can be a nightmare to shift entirely so can really pin armies back.

Khorgoraths are my favourite unit in the game. Just so good and pack such a punch with a cheeky bravery de-buff. So useful for just sticking around and doing damage.

Blood warriors again are tough to move and great objective holders especially with mystic shield. 

Lord on Juggerlord has a great command ability, useful command trait and can also run in and smash an opposing hero with each thanks to gorecleaver. 

Wrathmongers, as we know are major deterrents for hard hitting units and monsters etc.

The addition of the Gaunt Summoner was huge. Adding chaff-wall clearance and some ranged threat. 

In general it just does most of what I need when I need it. It’s great at throwing the enemy off their game plan. 

It’s wkrst scenario is definitely duality of death though. So many characters near the back of the board makes it more about denial than scoring.

Liking the list with the summoner a lot, even if it feels 'wrong' for khorne ? Maybe the khorne guys have taken him captive perhaps. 

It got got me thinking about summoning with khorne, part of me would like to have the option to summon a bloodthirster in for the laughs. Can a summoned character model be given an artefact e.g. If I list the bloodthirster out as part of my army w the artefact but then summon him in?

I appreciate this is not a sensible tactic as lots of points tied up in the summoner and not having the thirster on from the start is not efficient. I just fancy doing it for a surprise in my local games to see the look of horror when a wok bt with immense power appears next to the squishy enemy heroes.

2 hours ago, Praecautus said:

Liking the list with the summoner a lot, even if it feels 'wrong' for khorne ? Maybe the khorne guys have taken him captive perhaps. 

It got got me thinking about summoning with khorne, part of me would like to have the option to summon a bloodthirster in for the laughs. Can a summoned character model be given an artefact e.g. If I list the bloodthirster out as part of my army w the artefact but then summon him in?

I appreciate this is not a sensible tactic as lots of points tied up in the summoner and not having the thirster on from the start is not efficient. I just fancy doing it for a surprise in my local games to see the look of horror when a wok bt with immense power appears next to the squishy enemy heroes.

Thanks. Yeah it is a tough one to get my head around the Gaunt Summoner in my list but it is quite effective. 

Unfortunately it’s not possible to give an artefact to a Summoned model as artefacts are allocated to units on the army list before the battle and summoned units are not named on the list. 

The gaunt summoner book of profane secrets allows you to place a unit of chaos daemons when he is 9 inch from a realm gate. Skarbrand counts as he is chaos daemon and characters are units.

No casting required but it counts as the models movement plus the realm gate requirement means it is  Prbably not that flexible but could be very amusing

On 3/8/2018 at 10:22 AM, Gitli said:

The addition of the Gaunt Summoner was huge. Adding chaff-wall clearance and some 

Question from a noob.  How do you like to use the reserve points in the list? Do you always bring an extra unit of flesh hounds to summon at some point in the game?

10 hours ago, Engineer said:

Question from a noob.  How do you like to use the reserve points in the list? Do you always bring an extra unit of flesh hounds to summon at some point in the game?

In this list it is almost exclusively for a balewind vortex for the Gaunt Summoner. Although if he does before getting to summon it, and you get to 8 blood Tithe there is scope to add in 5 flesh hounds, but I think there are generally better uses for blood Tithe points. I find that movement,  out of phase attacks or dispels are what I usually spend those on.

Hello all

I have always liked Juggernauts so once again I have been thinking about doing an army of them. I don’t have the battletome so I don’t know if this is a legal army and whether it is playable for friendly 1000p games.

Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut 
-
 General
- Trait: Slaughterborn 
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers 
-
 Ensorcelled Axes
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers 
-
 Ensorcelled Axes
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers 
-
 Bloodglaives
10 x Chaos Warhounds 
-
 Allies
Slaughterbrute
Brass Stampede 

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 80 / 200
Wounds: 75

A second option would be more Juggernauts, so always a plus from my point of view.

-
 General
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers 
-
 Ensorcelled Axes
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers 
-
 Bloodglaives
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers 
-
 Ensorcelled Axes

Total: 980 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 91

All advise welcome.

5 minutes ago, Trokair said:

Hello all

I have always liked Juggernauts so once again I have been thinking about doing an army of them. I don’t have the battletome so I don’t know if this is a legal army and whether it is playable for friendly 1000p games.

-
 General
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers 
-
 Ensorcelled Axes
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers 
-
 Ensorcelled Axes
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers 
-
 Bloodglaives
10 x Chaos Warhounds 
-
 Allies
Slaughterbrute
Brass Stampede 

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 80 / 200
Wounds: 75

A second option would be more Juggernauts, so always a plus from my point of view.

-
 General
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers 
-
 Ensorcelled Axes
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers 
-
 Bloodglaives
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers 
-
 Ensorcelled Axes

Total: 980 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 91

All advise welcome.

Definitely give the Violent Urgency Command Trait a look. That re-roll charges aura is really useful.

They look like fun forces at that level for friendly games. I would. Be tempted to go without brass stanepede as battalions are expensive at 1k. And go w units of 3 so your force is more flexible and you have more unit champions. Otherwise I am a bit jealous of al those juggernauts 

I haven't even dropped my models onto a board yet but I was hoping y'all could take a look at my list since I'm able to field the 1000 pt. list that I came up with after my Bloodmaster and 10 more 'letters are done with their paintjabs.

QJpYJC9.png

1 hour ago, Dickbill said:

I haven't even dropped my models onto a board yet but I was hoping y'all could take a look at my list since I'm able to field the 1000 pt. list that I came up with after my Bloodmaster and 10 more 'letters are done with their paintjabs.

QJpYJC9.png

The worry is that it is all based on getting the bloodletters into combat before they get picked off. With just a 5+ save or coming up against say a gaunt Summoner, they will melt away fast. 

I have also been looking at 1k lists and I’ve not found one I’m happy with yet either. 

1 k is tricky for khorne as we are so reliant on heros.

i have been toying with the following

Daemon prince

khorne, immense power and deathdealer

blood secrator

blood stoker

Priest

blood warriors 10

blood warriors 10

blood reavers 20

ia not sold on the artefacts on the prince. Tempted w power and crown, or devastating blow and death dealer as well.

Since we are posting some "non-standard" lists here is my 1.5K list.  

Leaders
Khorgos Khul (200)
- General
Bloodstoker (80)
- Artefact : Talisman of Burning Blood
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact : The Brazen Rune
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Resanguination
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy
Units
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
-Goreaxe & Gorefist
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
-Reaver Blades
2 x Khorgoraths (160)
10 x Bloodletters (110)
- Gore Drenched Icon
20 x Chaos Warhounds (160)
- Allies
Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (180)
Total: 1450 / 2000
Allies: 160 / 400
Leaders: 5/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 104

I know everyone's thinking "warhounds" !!  and it's true they are horrible in combat.  But I like them for the following reasons:

1. The idea of a giant horde of marauding evil, rabid, vicious dogs roaming around is appealing to me
  2. They are FAST.  10" standard move, auto 16" run.  I can use them to grab objectives and don't need to buff their speed any.
  3. If I need to tie down an enemy unit I'll just drop inspiring presence on them, and make my opponent dish out ~20 wounds against them.
  4. Board control!  Since a warhound is on a calvary base that basically means one warhound takes up as much space as 2 25mm bases.  With 20 of them and 1" between I can lock down large portions of the board against teleporting enemies denying them deepstrike.   And with their bases being oval, just even positioning each warhound carefully can be a tactic for board/objective denial.
  5. If I think I'll need extra blood tithe's I'll just break them into two units of 10 and use as above
  6. And they are one of the cheapest units for their base size and speed. (I cant find any others at that point cost)

As I move my army to 2K points I'll be adding extra blood letters and something with more of a punch then I have now.  

Archived