Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

At 120 points I used to like Valkia a lot too, at 140 I feel you need to be in a luxious position to include her. On the other side, the one named character I do think is somewhat underplayed is actually Skarr. With his small base size and low 80 point cost it can be an easy inclusion to throw at hordes. He hits at 2+ and well that does some work. At the same time though I do prefer the Khorgorath over him most of the time due to it being a larger model.

Other as Gore Pilgrims I'll say that Murderhost remains to do a ton of work. It's just that doing that many Bloodletters isn't really fun. The models are cool but most of mine have some serious mold lines to be removed aswell.

Skullreapers remain neat choices but more than ever I would once again highlight that their "correct cost" isn't 180 points, it should be 160 and for those 180 I prefer Wrathmongers due to the threat they are to Monsters and bubble wrapping them still leads to a ton of attacks for the unit near them.

Still we have a lot of great options, it's just that because of Killig Frenzy and Bloodletter interactions there is even more reason to run Slaughterpriests. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So  here's what I'm running (in a way limited by what I have, but seems OK so far)

Leaders:

Bloodsecrator (General) (the 5++ item)

Bloodstoker (Violent Urgency) [whipping it harder!]

Slaughterpriest  (Bronzed Flesh)

Slaughterpriest (Killing Frenzy)

Slaughterpriest (Killing Frenzy)   [sometimes tweek the prayers depending on opponent]

Valkia [usually finding a nice terrain perch from which to assassinate something]

Battleline:

Blood Warriors x10 [usually my bonze-fleshed anvil]

Bloodreavers x10

Bloodreavers x10

Bloodreavers x10

Bloodreavers x10

Bloodreavers x10

Bloodreavers x10 

[Yes, that's a lot of MSU reavers and drops - but seems to do fairly well  for objective play / board control.  I'm happy to go second and sacrifice 30+ reavers midboard to set up a second-strike.  I'm thinking of calling the list the Khounter-Punchers] [Alternatively, can be used as bubblewrap against things like Ripperdactyls and such that hit deep on top of 1].

Other Units:

Skullreapers x10

Wrathmongers x5 [together making up my hammer unit]

Battalions:

Gore Pilrims

1980/2000

2 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Cool list! Not much speed however I guess that is countered by having so many units controlling the board.

You could always swap out Valkia for a Warshrine which your many units of Bloodreavers would love, not to mention giving you another blood blessing.

I'm building it this week as a matter of fact. ;)

3 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

Vlakia, in particular, has done good work for me for her points. I want badly to make Skarbrand work, but it's hard to justify his points.

Glad to hear this.  Just picked her up, and plan to run her in lieu of my DP.  Serves the same role (flyer, rend -2, key target killer) for fewer points, and is Mortal.  Good times.

2 hours ago, Killax said:

Skullreapers remain neat choices but more than ever I would once again highlight that their "correct cost" isn't 180 points, it should be 160 and for those 180 I prefer Wrathmongers due to the threat they are to Monsters and bubble wrapping them still leads to a ton of attacks for the unit near them.

Wrathmongers don't work so well in my Meta as they play Beastclaws and Sylvanneth (they've  since branched out to Nurgle and Stormcast so thwy might get some more use). 

My Bloodletters usually get targeted heavily so I go for Skullreapers as they benefit a heap from Killing Frenzy and Bloodstoker buffs once my letters have done some work. 

2 minutes ago, jazman84 said:

Wrathmongers don't work so well in my Meta as they play Beastclaws and Sylvanneth (they've  since branched out to Nurgle and Stormcast so thwy might get some more use). 

My Bloodletters usually get targeted heavily so I go for Skullreapers as they benefit a heap from Killing Frenzy and Bloodstoker buffs once my letters have done some work. 

Arent Wrathmongers the perfect counter to both Stone Horns and Durthu?

9 hours ago, jazman84 said:

I think the Wrathmongers should practically always work well in this GH2017 meta, their sole job doesn't have to be monster hunting, it just happens that they are great at it.

Bloodletters getting targeted heavy is quite logical, which is why I thake more than one unit. Skullreapers remain fun choices but the mass Bloodletters come with have worked out better for me. In addition it really allows for a cool WoK Bloodthirster general. Points I really can't find when using many Skullreapers instead. 

18 hours ago, Killax said:

Now between this I've also read some hopeful rumours about a Khorgorath kit actually being fleshed out allready and maby being released somewhere this year? Since the start I hoped for this but really can't say if this will ever be the case.

There's been a rumour that there's a multipart Khorgorath (2 per box) since before the original generals handbook was released, no idea how credible this is but we can keep our collective fingers crossed it's true!

What do you think about this 1500p almost purely Mortals:

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Berzerker Lord
- Artefact : The Crimson Plate

Bloodstoker (80)
- Artefact : Talisman of Burning Blood

Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh

Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy

Units
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
-Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1 x Goreglaives

5 x Blood Warriors (100)
-Goreaxe & Gorefist

20 x Bloodreavers (140)
-Meatripper Axes

10 x Bloodreavers (70)
-Reaver Blades

3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (140)
-Bloodglaives

30 x Bloodletters (270)
- Gore Drenched Icon

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (180)
Total: 1500 /1500
Allies: 0 / 400
Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 6 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 127

I was thinking about building it in to 2000p by adding:
 3x Skullcrushers (140)
A second Bloodstoker (80)
And a Slaughterbrute (180)I already have painted, that just needs to be based.
(I love the model so he is going in there :D )
5a6845a81d776_WhatsAppImage2018-01-24at10_35_23.jpeg.978772ef54c35cc8f0b99c7372177218.jpeg 

That leaves 100p to play with, that will probably go towards a random hero.

Minor point here @MunchkinX2000 - Have you played the Bloodsecrator with Berzerker Lord before? Because my Bloodsecrator usually gets targeted in the Hero and Shooting phases, and Berzerker Lord's 5++ save only applies in the combat phase, I think there are better choices. One idea would be to run the Bloodstoker as general with Violent Urgency instead.

50 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

There's been a rumour that there's a multipart Khorgorath (2 per box) since before the original generals handbook was released, no idea how credible this is but we can keep our collective fingers crossed it's true!

Yeah I hope so, thing is, with the Mutalith being part of Thousand Sons' 40k range soon too I expected the Khorgorath to appear in Codex Chaos Daemons really if it would appear. Now because of the way 40k seems to include new armies too I feel it is more likely to appear in a World Eater Codex (more than anything) for 40K and then sold as a seperate kit. Though with the Beast of Nurgle as the example, I doubt it will be two per kit. I can forsee one per kit, especially concerning the size of the model.

That and plastic Fleshhounds, I mean clearly those sculpts are finished aswell :P 

@MunchkinX2000 Would use an Aspiring Deathbringer as General there, 80 points, decent Command Ability, cheap and most certainly a better candidate to put a Command Trait on. If you want to give the Bloodsecrator an Artefact I'd pick Brazen Rune.

1 minute ago, Killax said:

Yeah I hope so, thing is, with the Mutalith being part of Thousand Sons' 40k range soon too I expected the Khorgorath to appear in Codex Chaos Daemons really if it would appear. Now because of the way 40k seems to include new armies too I feel it is more likely to appear in a World Eater Codex (more than anything) for 40K and then sold as a seperate kit. Though with the Beast of Nurgle as the example, I doubt it will be two per kit. I can forsee one per kit, especially concerning the size of the model.

That and plastic Fleshhounds, I mean clearly those sculpts are finished aswell :P 

I'd not thought about cross over to 40k, but that's a really good shout!  I think one per box is (sadly) more realistic too.  Plastic Fleshhounds would be such a welcome addition to what we can field!

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Man, this rumor is as old as AoS itself... I'm still hoping that it will happen someday, so I can finally play 1x3 or 2x2 Khorgoraths but at this point I'm expecting nothing.

Yeah as with Shadespire, we can certainly assume there are dozens of sculpts ready to print that simply arnt yet.

I fully believe that Fleshhounds and Khorgorath sculpts are ready but knowing GW they wont likely release them out of nowhere. While that did happen once technically with Khul and Stardrakeman even this was done in conjunction with the Storm and Blood two player starter (which likely has a different name lol).

For Khorne I think the most logical next release stop would be Shadespire followed by a big maby 2018 World Eater Codex. 

One other option could be that we play a role in MP too, followed with some releases...

To mix hopes up, GW did repost a how to paint Bloodthirster yesterday xD

15 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Glad to hear this.  Just picked her up, and plan to run her in lieu of my DP.  Serves the same role (flyer, rend -2, key target killer) for fewer points, and is Mortal.  Good times.

Yeah,  Super good on the charge - not so afterwards.  Thus, (and it's probably a waste of bloodtith points), I retreat her in enemy hero phase after she charges (or mine if double turn) and then get a second charge in.  First charge I make sure she gets something she can kill (sometimes whipped - for extra long range assassination); and then she more than makes her points with her second charge.  (And if she kills units on both charges, it's only a net loss of 1 blood tithe).

5 hours ago, MunchkinX2000 said:

That leaves 100p to play with, that will probably go towards a random hero.

I'd make that random 6th hero another Slaughterpriest.  Extending the Portal the full 36" and giving another prayer and blessing adds more to a list I feel than other heros. 

Or don't you need a daemon hero to get the buff on the 'letters?  (I don't run them - yet).

The DP disadvantage over Valkia is the base and size. In everything else, he is far superior, especially if you can afford to get him the Crimson Crown where he is getting extra attacks at 5+ by default. I am having an event for 1000 points next month and I am really undecided on what to bring, and it is because a slaughterborn + crimson crown DP  is such a big threat at that point lvl that I have a hard time deciding if I should run a murder host or not. Murderhost at 1000 seems crazy, but it really allows you to get to objectives pre-play in some of the missions we will be playing, or threaten them in turn 1. That is the only reason why I am considering not going with the DP.

49 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

The DP disadvantage over Valkia is the base and size. In everything else, he is far superior, especially if you can afford to get him the Crimson Crown where he is getting extra attacks at 5+ by default. I am having an event for 1000 points next month and I am really undecided on what to bring, and it is because a slaughterborn + crimson crown DP  is such a big threat at that point lvl that I have a hard time deciding if I should run a murder host or not. Murderhost at 1000 seems crazy, but it really allows you to get to objectives pre-play in some of the missions we will be playing, or threaten them in turn 1. That is the only reason why I am considering not going with the DP.

I'd say both Murderhost and DP are indeed great considerations. At the same time the Skullmaster or Skulltaker are no slouches either and make for a nice choice with Murderhost too.

As before I like Valkia, just not at the 140 point cost with no Artefact options, Command Trait options or all of that. She still makes for a fine assassin model, if your opponent allows for it. But having played her a few times at 120 with GH2016 my opponents catched on that trick fast enough to not let it occur everytime.

The biggest difference between then and now would be the common Monsterous General seen with GH2017 armies. Valkia can't kill that. While she remains a really neat model it's here where I happily upsize to a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster that most certainly does present a large threat to oppossing monsterous generals or regular smaller heroes.

I quite like Valkia too, but my experiences have been fairly underwhelming. She has taken 2 combats to kill weak heros like ghoul cortierres though that could be bad rolling on my part. She did win me a game when I used blood tithe point to let her fly 24" to take an objective, but that would have been easy to stop if my opponent knew that it was a possibility. 

Maybe if she did d3 damage base and 3 on the charge or got rerolls vs hero's she would be more worth her new points.

3 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

I'd make that random 6th hero another Slaughterpriest.  Extending the Portal the full 36" and giving another prayer and blessing adds more to a list I feel than other heros. 

Or don't you need a daemon hero to get the buff on the 'letters?  (I don't run them - yet).

Im trying to soften up my list a wee bit for my gaming group. But if I ever go to a tournament a 3rd priest is a very solid choice there. 
Then again I probably should drop the Slaughterbrute too, but that would make me a sad panda.

9 hours ago, Render said:

Minor point here @MunchkinX2000 - Have you played the Bloodsecrator with Berzerker Lord before? Because my Bloodsecrator usually gets targeted in the Hero and Shooting phases, and Berzerker Lord's 5++ save only applies in the combat phase, I think there are better choices. One idea would be to run the Bloodstoker as general with Violent Urgency instead.

Thats a good point.

My gaming group doesn't have a ton of shooting at the moment, but do have ways to teleport units in (StormCast / Sylvaneth shenanigans etc.)
But I was not aware it only works in the combat phase. Will have to look in to making my Stoker a general.

Thinking of possibly throwing together a Khorne army in the future. How does this look:

Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (330)
- General
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes