Age of Sigmar FAQ update

Ben Johnson

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Q: Some of the Compendium warscroll battalions have points but the units in those battalions have been replaced with new warscrolls. How does this work in a Pitched Battle?

A: Battalions which include units which no longer have a warscroll cannot be used in Matched Play.

Wow, goodbye Moonclan armies....

Q: Does the Ring of Immortality require reinforcement points to return the slain bearer to the table?

A: Yes.

And that's just made that artefact near to worthless!

Q: Does a Chaos Talisman allow you to save against wounds and mortal wounds, or just wounds?

A: It allows you to save against both wounds and mortal wounds. We will add the words ‘or mortal wounds’ when we update the artefact in the next edition of the General’s Handbook.

This is great for chaos.

9 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Well that clears up the Sylvaneth Wildwood and Ring of Immortality discussions then ?

Where does it clarify Ring of Immortality?

Also I dunno about you guys, but apparently random damage multipliers work like, say, D3 x 3, rather than 3D3 if you were to get 3 successful to Wound rolls with a D3 damage weapon. This seems way more swingy in terms of results than rolling a D3 for each successful wound, but hey-ho.

3 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Where does it clarify Ring of Immortality?

Also I dunno about you guys, but apparently random damage multipliers work like, say, D3 x 3, rather than 3D3 if you were to get 3 successful to Wound rolls with a D3 damage weapon. This seems way more swingy in terms of results than rolling a D3 for each successful wound, but hey-ho.

It uses reinforcement points, GHB FAQ. 

5 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Agreed, probably my biggest "not a fan" out of the lot!

9 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Wow...that one is slightly strange. I've never heard of anyone playing it that way. As you say Coffee, super swingy now. Interesting. Not saying I don't like it, just really unexpected!!

Very interesting FAQ overall. Haven't had a chance to fully absorb it all yet though!

Some pretty large arguments got absolutely shut down in this.

Skarbrands 8 wound dealing weapon is always 8 wounds. 

The sylvaneth Wyldwood argument is 1-3 citadel woods, as majority of people said

The chaos talisman is both mortal wounds and normal wounds (this they admitted needed wording changed)

15 minutes ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

Q: Some of the Compendium warscroll battalions have points but the units in those battalions have been replaced with new warscrolls. How does this work in a Pitched Battle?

A: Battalions which include units which no longer have a warscroll cannot be used in Matched Play.

It is a bit peculiar that only GA:Order gave it's factions battalions. 

Im reading it that this only applied to a single weapon though.. so heros with random damage weapons or models with multi attack multi damage weapons.

i think personally it creates a bit too much extra faf.. and could of just stayed as is

imagine those hunters with bows now - each set of 2 attacks have to be rolled separately just in case they both hit and wound and you have apply the same damage d3 roll to both....

....why make it more complex than it has to be 

K.i.s.s...keep it simple stupid

its talking about a weapon though.. "weapon" singular. If it had said " all weapons of the same type" or something then yea i could see it being that; a much more swingy mechanic of lots or barely any wounds caused per round of fire...rather than the current solid average amount caused now.#

personally i think its the worst and most unneeded ruling (and totally out of the blue too) in the whole document, the rest is great and good for the game. the damage things just convoluted baddly written and not needed.

26 minutes ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

That's totally destroyed Warherd too... as the Bullgor Stampede formation refers to Minotaurs and not Bullgors (despite it including the word Bullgor in the title...).

Glad I got to use my Warherd army at Warlords before it was too late.

Yes, the damage thing is per weapon, so if you had 3 Kurnoth Hunters with bows and all of their 2 attacks wounded you would roll D3x2 for each Kurnoth hunter, not D3x6 for the whole unit.

I preferred the old way we were doing it (in this case 6D3).

For quick reference:

Q: The rules for Random Values in the Hints & Tips section for warscrolls says that you generate a Damage value for each weapon that inflicts damage. Does this mean you only roll once for a weapon that inflicts damage with more than one attack? For example, if I inflict damage twice with a Gore Choppa (Damage D3), do I inflict 2D3 wounds, or D3x2 wounds?

A: Yes, you only roll once (so in the example the Gore Choppa inflicts D3x2 wounds).

Quick thought is that this removes the averaging of rolling more dice. Here you're now going to hit light or really hard.

From AoS Facebook:

Q: So... 3 Kurnoth Hunters with bows can infilct max. d3x6dmg or I should roll for the power(d3) of each bow separately? 
I'm sorry if it's a stupid question

A: You roll one D3 per attack. So, a weapon that is Damage D3 with 3 Attacks will roll 3D3 Damage and NOT D3x3.

3 minutes ago, bottle said:

Yes, the damage thing is per weapon, so if you had 3 Kurnoth Hunters with bows and all of their 2 attacks wounded you would roll D3x2 for each Kurnoth hunter, not D3x6 for the whole unit.

I preferred the old way we were doing it (in this case 6D3).

Its not even the damage variance thats the issue for me.

its the fact that id have to roll 2 dice attacks to completion..hit wound save damage 3 times per squad.. or faf about and find 3 different coloured dice...assuming i have 3 different dice. Its not much maybe, but its a ball ache to do that 6 times every shooting phase potentially. slowing down an other wise quick and easy game. its sets a bad precedent. 

for eg, you have 6 hunter.. thats 4 sets of rolls per bow (assuming a  save being made).. so 24 seperate rolls....vs 8 previously.  Just unneeded hassle however small

I have 2 cannons in my list that can fire twice. Assuming they all wound (usually happens) each cannon now does D6x2 rather than 2D6.

But if I have two targets, it now makes sense for me to split cannon 1's shots against target A and target B and cannon 2's shots split in the same manner as that will give me 2D6 against each unit rather than D6x2 and would be less risky despite in both cases each unit being shot twice by a cannon...

I'm not sure this feels intuitive to me.

2 minutes ago, wanderingrogue1 said:

1 minute ago, bottle said:

From AoS Facebook:

Q: So... 3 Kurnoth Hunters with bows can infilct max. d3x6dmg or I should roll for the power(d3) of each bow separately? 
I'm sorry if it's a stupid question

A: You roll one D3 per attack. So, a weapon that is Damage D3 with 3 Attacks will roll 3D3 Damage and NOT D3x3.

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 8.03.06 AM.pngThe change to keywords as Bolded text only really hurts battalions released in the first six months.

The change making units only fill out one itms within a battalion directly contradicts other FAQ rulings.  Weird.

The Spyreheart change to the scroll itself is surprising but in light of the prior clarifications it makes sense.

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 8.11.54 AM.png

Just now, bottle said:

This contradicts the FAQ which says the opposite.

Yes it does. But it also seems to be an odd answer no one was using to a question no one was asking (well, I mean someone must have but they're the exception).

There's been official GW events aplenty and live streaming - was this ruling ever in place there?

1 minute ago, Shane said:

Yes it does. But it also seems to be an odd answer no one was using to a question no one was asking (well, I mean someone must have but they're the exception).

There's been official GW events aplenty and live streaming - was this ruling ever in place there?

I agree, I don't think anyone was playing as the FAQ now suggests. Hopefully they can remove this addition as highlighted above it would require you to track each model's attacks through hitting and wounding to make sure you could correctly apply the multiplication of the damage (which would be a massive hassle).

Q: Several abilities allow a unit to make a move ‘as though
it were the movement phase’. Does this allow them to make
use of abilities or special rules that normally only apply in
the movement phase? For example, in the hero phase a unit
of Kurnoth Hunters in a Free Spirits Battalion can move as
though it were the movement phase. Would this allow them to
make use of the Forest Spirits battle trait, where a unit can be
transported to the battlefield in the movement phase?
A: No, it does not. All it means is that the move is made
as though it were the movement phase, so the distance
the unit moves will be based on its Move characteristic, it
can’t move within 3" of an enemy model, it can run and
retreat (but if it does so it will have counted as having
run or retreated for the rest of the turn), and so on.
Furthermore, abilities that specifically state they can
only be used in a certain phase can only be used in that
phase and/or their effects will only apply in that phase.
So, if an ability says you can use it in your movement
phase, it can only be used and its effects will only apply
in your movement phase, if it says it can be used in your
shooting phase, you can only use it and its effects will
only apply in your shooting phase, and so on.

Well that settles the use of abilities from a phase into another..

Archived