The 1k army project, are YOU in?

Darth Alec

12 minutes ago, swiftmus said:

Good to see all the Slaanesh progress :P

The god might be missing but his followers are making a come back. It's great fun to see how the 'made to order' models have such an impact. Would be cool to see by how much the other Slaanesh sales have gone up. Hopefully enough to write him/her/it back into the fluff. 

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, wow...loving all the Slaanesh in here! I'm a big big fan of the old Juan Diaz sculpts having painted them for multiple armies (perhaps not quite as many as @Bananaman though!). I was so close to pulling the trigger on the made to order stuff but managed to resist...just! (how unlike me).

Right...

Well, congrats @Darth Alec, great thread you got going here. Nice on creating such a positive buzz. 1,000 point games really are great, not only do they allow an easy entry point for newer players (both cost and potentially less rules) but they are also super fun for experienced gamers. The game players really nicely at this side. I'm a fan.

Now, as ever, I plan to paint a whole bunch of stuff in the New Year. Unlike some of the others I won't list or detail it all here (you can check my Twitter or Destruction blog for other stuff), what I'm going to use this thread for is to try and motivate myself to paint the following.....

15 Gore-gruntas - 900 points

:o

Yeh....I own 18 of these bad* boys and would absolutely love to get them all on the table, painted, before the year is up. I considered some sort of Gore-grunta escalation where I try to add 3 to my army for each tournament over the year. Just not very realistic unfortunately!!

I'll be painting a bunch of Ironjawz/Destruction stuff around this, more with playing in mind...but yeh, my progress here will be all about the piggies!

If you want it to be a legal army, let's chuck in a Warchanter to round it out to 980 as I will be painting a 3rd one of them as well.

I'm honestly not sure whether this will be achievable considering how long the first unit took me, but how cool would it be. I'd tentatively like to target Realms at War 2017 for the army as opposed to the end of the year.

Cheers x

*really bad...

On 12/21/2016 at 8:13 PM, Darth Alec said:

Looking great Swiftmus! Congrats on being the first to post a picture as well ;)

As for the base, maybe paint it white, then wash it many, many colours. Like it's a roiling sea of multihued energy? It's pretty easy, and could look very cool/wierd.

Oh I just noticed this post, must have missed it before! I quite like this idea as it's quick and simple and should be generic enough such that I can continue using this basing theme for all future Chaos projects. I think I'll give it a go to see how it looks, perhaps I'll test it on the Keeper's base so that if I make any changes for the rank and file, the general will be fine having a unique base compared to everyone else. I might start by painting some grey into the lower portions of the little 'hills' so that those areas stay darker once the colours are applied.

Some of my washes are from the old GW wash range and are running pretty low, so looks like I'll be shelling out for some new ones soon :P

@Uprising I love how you've done the rusted and weathered metals, really amazing!

I believe the OP suggested we do whatever we like for pictures, so linking to your own blogs or posting in this thread works. I'm personally too lazy to set up my own picture thread so I'm gonna carry on dumping my stuff in this thread :P

Nice orruks @Uprising

I, for one, would love seeing everyone's progress in this thread collectively :)

Gotta add some pics of my own sooner or later but heres where Im at with my Sylvaneth

10/20 Dryads painted 

2/10 Spite revenants painted, 2  more built

1/3 Kurnoth painted, 2 built

wraith built but unpainted and havent started Drycha yet at all

This thread is an awesome idea. Thanks for setting it up. After returning to the hobby from a 10+ year absence this is just the sort of thing I need to get me going. 

Just got back into it with the AoS starter box a few months back and since then have been holding off starting anything too big waiting to see what came of the new Duardin rumours, so mostly just been chipping away at the starter set and doing the odd cool model I liked the look of. 

Just picked up a box of ironbreakers which will hopefully be the start of 1000pts of dwarves. But going to try be patient waiting for steamhead before adding too  much more. Currently only two of the ironbreakers painted but will start posting pics once I have my first finished unit. 

Looking forward to seeing more progress pics from everyone else. Always good for a bit of inspiration. 

Those orcs (sorry... Orruks?) look awesome. 

This is the Scourge Privateers list I'll be working on.

Leaders
Black Ark Fleetmaster (40)
Black Ark Fleetmaster (40)

Units
Black Ark Corsairs x 20 (200)
- Vicious Blade & Wicked Cutlass
- Scourge Privateers Battleline
Black Ark Corsairs x 10 (100)
- Vicious Blade & Wicked Cutlass
- Scourge Privateers Battleline
Scourgerunner Chariots x 1 (100)

Behemoths
Kharibdyss (200)
Kharibdyss (200)

Battalions
Realm Reavers (80)

Total: 960/1000

Based up the first 10 Daemonettes yesterday and today I've started gluing on the arms. Someone remind me again why I bought 30 metal models to build >_< 

Gluing the knife arms was fine but the claws are going to be a pain, I've managed to get 2 on and stay on without aid so they're sitting in my little vice sideways until the glue dries. Luckily on the rare occasions I get to actually play Warhammer I am the host as I have a table, so I shouldn't have to worry about transporting all these delicate metals.

As for painting progress, one or two more sessions on the Keeper will see him finished; next up will be the Herald and probably just the first five Daemonettes while I glue the others.

Tip for non-plastic: use green putty and guerilla glue. Glue one end, tiny bit of putty on the other. Hold together for 15 seconds tight. Leave 24hrs. Use modelling knife to cut away excess green stuff. 

That's how I've done mine. Arms are too thin to pin sensibly. 

Edit: And the time difference in what we get painted is polar opposites. I seem to get little done when I paint. Really take my time (not intentionally). 

Got my colour scheme sorted. Will explain that with photos soon. 

Those are some great Ardboyz @Uprising, your weathering effects are great!

As for where you guys should post your pictures, do it in whatever format you like! Open a PLOG og BLOG here on TGA, update your own thing, do it on reddit or imgur, post your progress on Twitter, whatever you like! This isn't about getting a 1000 point matched play top tier competetive army done in 12 weeks, daily progress reports and 3 colour minimums. Though if that's your goal, that's cool as well. This is about you building yourself a small force, the way you want it to be! I highly encourage you all to link and post your stuff here though. This is a journey for all of us, and seeing our fellow travellers makes the trip more fun!

I've just picked up 2 of the last 3 missing pieces. Just a unit of Stormvermin left to buy, and I'm all ready.

I'll have a look into gorilla glue if anything decides to fall apart, I have heard good things about it before.

As for painting speed, it really depends on what I'm doing. I tend to get bored quickly and want to buy more stuff and the motivation goes down the more I buy (back when I played before at one point I had like two 2000 point WFB armies and a couple of small 40k armies mostly unpainted). This time I'm making my goals more realistic (I don't play that often and usually don't have time for massive games so actually doing several small armies is perfect for me), and this thread has helped my motivation a lot :D

Aiming to get the Slaanesh army done as soon as possible really, like I mentioned before the simple monotone scheme of purples and pinks actually does seem to work quite well though.

Now if only the weather would dry up so I could spray the next batch of models -_-

Thought Id put in a couple pics of my own progress :)

So here are some of my autumn Sylvaneth

_SAM1214%20640x446_zpsbcugqpmq.jpg

Ten Dryads ar finished, heres couple of them. Different shades of gray and brown .

_SAM1210%20640x513_zpsmrqiyxcn.jpg

Two finished Spite Revenants, bit darker tone to give them an outcast feel. My cameraskillz ate most of the highlights away though :(

_SAM1218%20581x640_zpsh0z1lga2.jpg

First Hunter, kinda messed up the blade and might redo that :)

So, yea, Dryads and Hunter were done earlier but the two spites Ive painted during this week, now Im atm painting two more spites and a wraith.

I am going to jump on board with this seeing as I just got back into the hobby yesterday. Going to aim for 1k points of a Nurgle Warband by June. Not really looking to make it competitive or anything, just a hobby to do alongside my stressful last semester as a mature student. Painting with some TV on in the background is my idea of bliss. 

So far it's just 16 warriors and a Lord of Plagues, but I know for sure I want to at least double that amount of warriors, get Gutrot Spume, some Blight Knights, and probably some Chaos Knights too.

Archived