The 1k army project, are YOU in?

Darth Alec

Armies around 1000 points have been really gaining traction the last few weeks. Several prominent members of the community have talked about starting new projects at the point level. Since there's a bit of a wave building, I'm making this thread so we can all get in on the action!

1k armies have a lot of advantages. For one, they're cheaper than a full 2k. 2 SC boxes will usually get you there, or a monster and a few units. Unlike the sometimes huge cost of a full 2k, you can get a solid army for a reasonable investment. Secondly, they're faster and easier to build and paint! With only a thousand points, rather than "collecting" or building a full 2k, you have a nice achievable goal. If you plan your list from the start, you know exactly what you have to do, and it's usually not a lot! The third huge advantage is that you can try out a new faction. Being quicker and cheaper, you can commit to a completely new faction that you wouldn't want to collect or build a 2k army out of. At 1k, a lot more factions are viable and fun to play. Test your skills at something new, or collect something cool that you've always wanted!

I've already committed to making a 1000 point Skaven army. Mini's bought and built! Looking forward to crack into this in 2017. Who's with me?

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this for a timescale for finishing by the end of 2017?

If yes, I guess I am in. I don't build armies by points, but I have a heavy suspicion I will have 1000 points of models eachfor Tzeentch and GA:Death (mostly Nighthaunt and FEC) gathered up soon.

Right now, a fair bit is bought, but little build and nothing painted.

My progress is a bit sluggish, since I convert and sculpt a lot, so I think having 2x 1000 in all its painted glory Finished in a years time would be quite the archievement upon getting back into the hobby.

Great to see so many people jumping in on this!

This isn't meant to be a project with any set limits. Paint in your own pace. Some of us paint quickly, some need more time. We're just all in it together to paint awesome armies and motivate each other. Whether you're painting one, two or seven armies, it's all good. Paint and enjoy yourselves. Finishing an army is one of the best feelings in the hobby, and we can all achieve it!

If anyone wants to challenge themselves a little further, you could add a twist or two. I'm giving myself a time limit of 3 months! So I should be done by the end of March. You might also want to use this as a chance to try out new techniques! This is all optional though.

I recommend trying to build out a list early. Gives you something to aim for. Choose a favorite unit or hero, something you HAVE to have. Then build it from there.

Since I started this, I'll reveal my little army:

Warlord

Grey Seer

20 Clanrats

20 Clanrats

20 Stormvermin

2 Rat Ogres

Doomwheel

I wanted it to be very much SKAVEN, so a little bit of everything. And above all, huge numbers of rats! MSU Skaven just doesn't cut it for me. It's not an optimal list or anything, but it's got options, troops and toys.

This sounds fun! I'm holding out hope for Arcanites in the new year but because I've already got a load of Tzeentch demons they don't really feel like a 'new' army. With that in mind, I think I'm going to try to build up a 1000 point hero-heavy Khorne army on the side. Mix of demons and Bloodbound. No time limit at the moment, but we'll see how it goes.

Archived