Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/03/2018 at 7:07 PM, Mjolnertf said:

Hello everyone I have a tournament at 1500 points in my local store, I have not played much Fyreslayers but they are my favorite army, I love to advance towards the enemy, I have thought about this list, in my area there will be, ironjawz, bonespliter, sylvaneth, nurgle, stormcast and surely Tzeench, any help or advice to this brother Fyreslayer will be accepted, thank you very much: 

Allegiance: Fyreslayers

Leaders
Auric Runefather (80)
- General
- Trait: Exemplar of the Ancestor 
- Artefact: Obsidian Coronet 
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Forge Key
- Artefact: Ash-plume Sigil 
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Forge Key
Battlesmith (80)

Battleline
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
- Pairs of Handaxes
20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (240)
- Pairs of Handaxes
30 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (480)
- Poleaxes
- Fyreslayer Battleline (Runefather General)

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (90)

Total: 1460 / 1500
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 102

looks like a viable list im not a big fan of the hearthgaurd.

your list can do with some long ranged shooting how about some allies KO maybe?

I've thought about it, it's true that I do not have reliable shots like for example to eliminate castellant or Harbinger of Decay, I do not have much experience playing with Fyreslayers, but the idea of allies does not contemplate it because I do not have any more armies, the hearthgaurd use them for his battalion, which allows me to attack again and win an important initiative, thank you very much for answering

the hearth gaurd hit hard but the fyreslayers are slow the runeson on magmadroth helps with that. in 1500 points i dont know if lord of the lodge is worth it. once you get a game in let us know how it went.

On 2/3/2018 at 1:07 AM, Mjolnertf said:

Hello everyone I have a tournament at 1500 points in my local store, I have not played much Fyreslayers but they are my favorite army, I love to advance towards the enemy, I have thought about this list, in my area there will be, ironjawz, bonespliter, sylvaneth, nurgle, stormcast and surely Tzeench, any help or advice to this brother Fyreslayer will be accepted, thank you very much: 

Leaders
Auric Runefather (80)
- General
- Trait: Exemplar of the Ancestor 
- Artefact: Obsidian Coronet 
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Forge Key
- Artefact: Ash-plume Sigil 
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Forge Key
Battlesmith (80)

Battleline
- Pairs of Handaxes
20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (240)
- Pairs of Handaxes
30 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (480)
- Poleaxes

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (90)

Total: 1460 / 1500
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 102

The list is invalid, to use "Lords of the Lodge" you need a Runefather, a Runemaster, a Battlesmith and the HB unit.

Probably is a mistake on the list, but just in case.

I won a Games Workshop  1250 points local store league with following list, maybe it could help you.

Ruudy - Allegiance: Fyreslayers

Leaders
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- General
- Command Trait : Exemplar of the Ancestor
- Wyrmslayer Javelins
- Artefact : Obsidian Coronet
Battlesmith (80)
- Artefact : Ash-plume Sigil

Units
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
-War-Picks & Slingshields
20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (240)
-Pairs of Handaxes

Battalions
Warrior Kinband (90)

Reinforcement Points (0)
Total: 1220 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Leaders: 2/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4

Some points about the list:

1250  -1500 points should be played on smaller battlefields, usually on 4 of 6 squares, so i dont think smitter is a must.

I need to "konga" every unit to:

- Repeat salvation

- Throw axes twice

- Do not take battleshock tests

On 5/3/2018 at 9:07 AM, Ruudy said:

The list is invalid, to use "Lords of the Lodge" you need a Runefather, a Runemaster, a Battlesmith and the HB unit.

Probably is a mistake on the list, but just in case.

I won a Games Workshop  1250 points local store league with following list, maybe it could help you.

Leaders
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- General
- Wyrmslayer Javelins
Battlesmith (80)

Units
-Pairs of Handaxes

Battalions
Warrior Kinband (90)

Reinforcement Points (0)
Total: 1220 / 2000
Leaders: 2/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4

Some points about the list:

1250  -1500 points should be played on smaller battlefields, usually on 4 of 6 squares, so i dont think smitter is a must.

I need to "konga" every unit to:

- Repeat salvation

- Throw axes twice

- Do not take battleshock tests

thanks for the help, it is true the list is illegal thank you for remembering me, your list has enchanted me, I will try to add what is left for the 1500 points and I will comment, soon I will play against the new elves, I will tell you how: D thank you very much for the comments

8 hours ago, Mjolnertf said:

thanks for the help, it is true the list is illegal thank you for remembering me, your list has enchanted me, I will try to add what is left for the 1500 points and I will comment, soon I will play against the new elves, I will tell you how: D thank you very much for the comments

Your welcome!

Have to say that your list (Lords of the Lodge one) is pretty similar to one of my favorite lists for 2000.

I copied it from a mate on Fyreslayers Facebook page and makes me win a 2000 points tournament on january.

I will probably replace the aurics and something else with 6 Skywardens due to lack on movility. Probably a Runefather on foot instead of on Magma.

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (260)
- General
Auric Runemaster (80)
Battlesmith (80)
Grimwrath Berzerker (80)
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron

Units
-Pairs of Handaxes
30 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (480)
-Poleaxes
5 x Auric Hearthguard (100)

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (90)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Leaders: 6/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 135

Some points:

- Loves Runemaster, the enemy will take his worst unit to carry the ur-gold, and the volcan ability is really helpful to control the battlefield, enemies will think twice before charge through that terrain.

- Grimwrath tunneled with a Smitter

- Axes vulkites tunneled with a Smitter

- HB unit crushes everythink, the poleaxes mortal wounds and the ability to activate it twice per combat phase...terrible

I'm still debating between starting an Ironjawz or Fyreslayer army (and maybe SCE). I like the army composition of Ironjawz and Stormcast with their 5 man elite squads. But  I love the look of Fyreslayers (well I like Dwarfs and Orange so they had me at that) but a few things are keeping me from starting with them.

1. Painting that many of basically the same character seems a bit daunting. How do Fyreslayer players deal with that without getting bored? Any tips and tricks? Mind you I'm a new player so I haven't painted any large batches.

2. Price. From what I gather the Vulkites got a point buff but their price remained the same. So now it's 45 euros for a battleline that you want at least 60 to 90 of. That seems wrong although I can understand that GW doesn't want to drop price along with the point buff, that would ****** off the people that bought it before. Although the SCB has a Magmadroth for the same price the solo miniature.. So I dunno.

Vulkites are amazing but it gives the whole army a P2W allure. If the Hearthguard was more like the Brutes are for Ironjawz instead of the Vulkite Horde I would be all over them.

Any idea what might change for Fyreslayers in GHB 2018?

11 hours ago, Pitloze said:

1. Painting that many of basically the same character seems a bit daunting. How do Fyreslayer players deal with that without getting bored? Any tips and tricks? Mind you I'm a new player so I haven't painted any large batches.

Fyreslayers are surprisingly nice to paint. However, the magic might disapear after the first 30 models. Contrary to Stormcasts, you can be a little bit creative when it comes to paint the crest and the beard.(And you should, because you ll have to differentiate all those units. )

What is boring is that even if it is a 3 wwarscroll army, the three units are depressingly similar, it is a dwarf with differents weapons very few variation otherwise.

11 hours ago, Pitloze said:

Price. From what I gather the Vulkites got a point buff but their price remained the same. So now it's 45 euros for a battleline that you want at least 60 to 90 of. That seems wrong although I can understand that GW doesn't want to drop price along with the point buff, that would ****** off the people that bought it before. Although the SCB has a Magmadroth for the same price the solo miniature.. So I dunno.

I stopped past my SCB because of that. The army is like 200 € more expensive than any other AT MINIMUM (500-600). And i quickly realised that the playstyle would not fit me as i originally thought.

On 7/3/2018 at 6:48 AM, Ruudy said:

Your welcome!

Have to say that your list (Lords of the Lodge one) is pretty similar to one of my favorite lists for 2000.

I copied it from a mate on Fyreslayers Facebook page and makes me win a 2000 points tournament on january.

I will probably replace the aurics and something else with 6 Skywardens due to lack on movility. Probably a Runefather on foot instead of on Magma.

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (260)
- General
Auric Runemaster (80)
Battlesmith (80)
Grimwrath Berzerker (80)
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron

Units
-Pairs of Handaxes
30 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (480)
-Poleaxes
5 x Auric Hearthguard (100)

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (90)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Leaders: 6/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 135

Some points:

- Loves Runemaster, the enemy will take his worst unit to carry the ur-gold, and the volcan ability is really helpful to control the battlefield, enemies will think twice before charge through that terrain.

- Grimwrath tunneled with a Smitter

- Axes vulkites tunneled with a Smitter

- HB unit crushes everythink, the poleaxes mortal wounds and the ability to activate it twice per combat phase...terrible

incredible list, I'm looking forward to having 2000 points, to see if I can test it without a doubt at the rate of:

Hi everyone.

1. Are the lower parts of the Runefather and Runeson interchangable? I.e it doesn't matter which upper body I put on the foot legs and the magamadroth legs?

2. What are your favourite magmadroth heroes and why? It seems like Runeson is really popular for the aura.

3 hours ago, Superking said:

Hi everyone.

1. Are the lower parts of the Runefather and Runeson interchangable? I.e it doesn't matter which upper body I put on the foot legs and the magamadroth legs?

2. What are your favourite magmadroth heroes and why? It seems like Runeson is really popular for the aura.

they are interchangeable with seated and standing. I like the son for aura but my fav list has dad on Magmabomb for 12+6" large base command ability with no battleshock and need him as general to get my 30 hearthguard berzerkers with poleaxes as battleline and use Lords of Lodge. Just my 2 cents. oddly enough, that list is undefeated still. Even with my horrid dice rolling ;) 

On 3/7/2018 at 6:10 PM, Mjolnertf said:

incredible list, I'm looking forward to having 2000 points, to see if I can test it without a doubt at the rate of:

Hey, this is the list I've been using with extraordinary success, except all vulkites have double axes so I hit things. Running this since handbook 2017 on official capacity and it's done...amazing! Good luck, may you smash some skulls! :)

hi

I'm planning on taking this list to a tournament and just wanted to know what people thought about it.

Rune Farther on foot - General -80

Rune Son on Magmadroth , Javelins - 240

RuneSmiter-Forge Key-  80

RuneSmiter-Forge Key- 80

Grimwrath Berzerker- 80 

BattleSmith - 80

30 Vulkites- twin hand axe- 330

30 Vulkites- Picks and Shields - 330

30 HearthGuard Berzerkers- poleaxes- 480 

10 Auric HearthGuard - 200

Any Comment is welcome

I've been looking to get back into Age of Sigmar after myself and my friends abandoned ship at the initial release. I know, not the greatest thing to admit, but the lack of points and... well, I'm sure you all understand.

Anyway, I'm a lover of all things Duardin, so the Fyreslayers stuck out to me immediately. I've been slowly figuring out how they play as I look over what I plan to purchase, and one list stood out at a recent event that I had planned to build toward; however, reading through this thread, it seems like there's some mixed signals on what the lists uses. The list is as follows:

Leader
Auric Runefather
– Exemplar of the Ancestor
– Obsidian Coronet
– General
Auric Runemaster
Auric Runesmiter
– Forge key
– Ash-plume Sigil
Auric Runesmiter
– Forge key
Battlesmith

Battleline
30 x Hearthguard Bezerkers
– Poleaxes
30 x Vulkite Bezerkers
30 x Vulkite Bezerkers
30 x Vulkite Bezerkers

Battalion
Lords of the Lodge

It's certainly an expensive list and is downright mean to play against, but I see a lot of people leaning away from the Hearthguard Berzerkers in favour of Auric Hearthguard. Would that make a Top 8 list, such as the above, a bit invalidated in the eyes of others here, or does it seem to accomplish a job and do it fairly well when analyzed?

hi, i am building a 1000 point army:

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (260)
- General
Battlesmith (80)
Grimwrath Berzerker (80)
Fjul-Grimnir (100)

Battleline
5 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (100)
- Poleaxes
- Handaxes & Slingshields

Units
3 x The Chosen Axes (40)

Total: 990 / 1000

i still dont have the manual by hand so no triat and no artifact, but its ok like this, i will check later on

i wanna know if this is a good start for a fyreslayers army:x

chosen axes are worth to play? i like the concept of 140 points for good hero + 1 unit for taking an objective alone

battlesmith or runesmiter? (if i will go 1500+ i will probably play the mounted one because it's cool/strong and a footed runesmiter for the tunnel)

its possible too mix weapons into 1 unit of vulkite? shields on front axes on back lines, or it's not possible / really much better all shielded?

right now i am painting my last 50 models of  marauders/nurgle stuff (3000+points models atm, my main army) so i will just play 1000 points for friendly games with new player starting the game with my second faction.

i know that if i want t play 1500 or 2000 i will need to paint like 100 models more 

thanks a lot in advance for replies

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 7:59 AM, calcysimon said:

i wanna know if this is a good start for a fyreslayers army:x

chosen axes are worth to play? i like the concept of 140 points for good hero + 1 unit for taking an objective alone

battlesmith or runesmiter? (if i will go 1500+ i will probably play the mounted one because it's cool/strong and a footed runesmiter for the tunnel)

its possible too mix weapons into 1 unit of vulkite? shields on front axes on back lines, or it's not possible / really much better all shielded?

Looks pretty good to me.  My (admittedly limited) experience with Fyreslayers is that they really like having a way to deal mortal wounds.  Without wizards they have magmadroths, Vulkites with shields, and Hearthguard with poleaxes.  Your initial 1000pts has lots of ways to spit out MW.  Also the Battlesmith's ability to reroll saves and battleshock is excellent for that big unit of Vulkites.  He's so good I've heard it mentioned that the Runefather on Magmadroth's Command Ability is kinda meh in comparison.  I see why that is the case and in 1000pts it prolly isn't very useful.  However, as the army grows, I feel that 20" bubble for his Command Ability is useful.

Speaking of the Magmadroth, I wouldn't count on it to tank your opponent's army.  She'll die and pretty quick.  Magmadroths are solidly middle-sized monsters and, while she's got some nifty abilities, she'll go down to concentrated fire.  Luckily the Runefather isn't the vital "lynchipin"that other faction's characters are.  

As for the Chosen Axes, I've used them twice to hold objectives as you said and the opponent just ignored them.  They're not really a threat to anything besides another Shadespire unit but they are very small and can hide!

I'm pretty sure you cannot mix shields in a unit.  Its all shields or none.  However I believe the shielded guys have a different sort of target compared to the twin axe guys.  The shield Vulkites have a decent chance to punch through elite infantry on the turn they charge.  Combined with the picks they can take on heavy armor and deal some damage.  The twin axe guys deal wounds more reliably with the reroll to hit and so are better against large hordes of weaker infantry (goblins, freeguild, etc.).

So having recently painted up the Chosen Axes, I've been inspired to return to my Fyreslayers.  I'm in the process of painting a Runesmiter on Magamdroth and 20 more Vulkites (with twin handaxes).  I have about 2000 points, lots of Heroes and Vulkites and some Hearthguard (Auric and Berserker).  I know that more Vulkites are always good but I have questions about the Hearthguard.

Auric Hearthguard have our only ranged attack and it seems decent, especially when supporting Heroes.  However they are pretty bad in melee.  Do you all find Aurics more useful in a large group or smaller 5-man (duardin?) squads?  Also how are the Auric centered Battalions?  I don't have enough Aurics to run them but I've looked at them and they seem fun.

I have 10 of the Hearthguard Berserkers with poleaxes and they always do work especially in the Lords of the Lodge Battalion.  Is a bigger unit worth the extra cost?  Would a second smaller unit be more effective?

Lastly, I have do not have any Berserkers with the broadaxe.  They seem like they'd be better at dealing more wounds more consistently but don't have the advantage of mortal wounds that go straight through defense.  Not sure if its worth it or if perhaps they have a different target in mind compared to the poleaxe Berserkers.  What are the community's thoughts on these guys?   

Thanks!  :)

3 minutes ago, calcysimon said:

thanks for the reply ^_^

i will try battlesmith too probably, i love the model a lot

as i will build my 2k army i will probably  going to play 2-3 magmadroths, probably father/son + smiter, not for competitive 

The only Magmadroth I don't have is the Runeson.  I haven't looked at him too much (just being lazy ;)) but I'd be interested to hear how he does.  Being smallish monsters perhaps Magmadroths hunt in packs like raptors!  I hear they can open doors...by burning them down with their fire breath!

So, something I've been musing on after having a gander over the Kharadron thread. How would you like to see Fyreslayers expanded as an army? It's no secret that the range is limited - with one notable exception - to 'angry half-naked redheaded dwarfs on foot'. For that reason, if they ever see new kits, what could they add?

I'd like to see more units playing up the fire theme. The Idoneth play up their water thematics really well, but I don't feel like the Fyreslayers really do it too well beyond the Magmadroth and, y'know, anger. Some something like fire elements, slayers wreathed in flame, something with a lot of 'oomph' not unlike the Ka'daai Fireborn I suppose.

it would be really nice if we got Ur-Gold Golems. that or cavalry options would definitely give slayer armies more diversity.

im also hoping one day we get a lords of the storm style battalion that features 6 unique heroes that buff and protect each other.

Archived