Let's chat Grotz and Moonclan

MidasKiss

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

Well right after I order the old Moonclan shaman, they announced mushroom head. Now I've just ordered up by initial batch of squigs and hearders, so plastic squigs are probably going to get announced any day now. You're welcome.

You legend! Buy more old stuff please. 

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So....i am helping to organize a little escalation at our local GW, and what better time than now with the portents looming and a brand new Shaman on the horizon. I am starting up some moonclan and am super excited about it. I have always had the 100ish odd grots lying around in the case i needed to body up my IJ but Ive never put them out on their own. Now i am excited to try. So i found that i need to invest in some new models....and who doesnt like squigs? Is anyone having luck finding these at a non-astronomical price point? I am playing at a GW so proxy/alt models are a no go. I love the little buggers but im not willing to take out a 2nd mortgage to collect an army of em.

How have other people started/added to their squig collection?

If you're willing to be patient, you can find the Warboss on giant squig at reasonable prices($20-25), I recall.  The metal squigs and hoppers tend to be priced $5+ a model.  I'm not willing to buy finecast, so I'm going Moonclan Grots focused mixed Destruction (heavy Fellwater) until some new squigs are hopefully released in the next year or so.

3 hours ago, meet.the.doctor said:

Why not finecast? I have a lot finecast models? What is wrong with that?

Relatively early on after finecast came out, I bought 2 dwarf war machines in finecast and they were so disfigured that I'm convinced that a professional sculptor could not have fixed them.  The idea that I was paying a premium for such a product and material really insulted me as a customer.  Since then I have avoided it.

I have seen some truly talented hobbyists say that they love it, but I'm not interested.

Agreed on the finecast, I remember it first coming out to replace the 'high cost of metal' and I was not impressed.

Hello everyone, I'm starting a Squig Heavy Moonclan army. I'll start sharing pics and ideas soon, it's an army I've wanted to do (right after Skaven) since I've started in the hobby. To get the Squigs (I've got to be topping 50 nearly 60 now) I've been hoarding them over the years and watching eBay. Some luck on Bartertown has been great too. I've some fun conversion ideas to share soon (I hope!)

Hello everyone, sorry if this is obvious but was slightly confused about the forge world squigs. On their site it is listed as having the keyword Moonclan but on the list builder they are under Monsters of Destruction. Could either of the Gobba or Colossal be ran in a only moonclan army, or would they have to be taken as allies?

Thank you very much!

A bit of a follow up question and some context, would for the case of a 1k list would it be better to run grots as a unit of 40 or two 20s? The extra to wound may be useful for overall damage, but worries about just bleeding dry from the poor bravery . Although granted they likely wouldn't hold well against somethings anyways. As is for an upcoming 1k event I was considering the following:

Warboss with Prodder and Squig (120)

Shaman (80)

Battleline:

40 Grots either 2 at 20 or one 40 (260)

I have several with the various weapons & shields/swords combos but thinking of it all being bows and nets

15 Cave Squigs (180)

5 Cave Squigs (60)

Artillery: 

Squig Gobba (180)

Other:

3 Fanatics (100)

2 Herders (20)

Total (960)

To fill this some more I have another herder set I could have trying to follow 5 squig squad, or saber claws to ally in if nothing else. 

Not on the current list but in my collections is probably around 50 or so more grots, another shaman,  a handful of fanatics, 10 hoppers, around 10 cave squigs, 4 mangler squigs, and the aforementioned Colossal though I think that may be a bit pricey for 1k. If I wanted to break moonclan and use two 20 grots for the battleline I have the box of the big spider and 10 riders plus another 10 or so riders from spider fang. A small amount of Gitmob stuff, and a variety of both Ogre factions though was thinking of trying to stick to grots for theme if I did take outside moonclan. This would be against at least a FEC list that is the Abattior battalion without the actual battalion and a King on foot, A skink heavy Seraphon army, a gutbuster force, a demon heavy Khorne list, and others were talking about newer stuff from the 2017 Handbook like Dispossed, Darklings, and Brayherds. 

3 hours ago, Sloth said:

Warboss with Prodder and Squig (120)

Shaman (80)

Battleline:

40 Grots either 2 at 20 or one 40 (260)

I have several with the various weapons & shields/swords combos but thinking of it all being bows and nets

15 Cave Squigs (180)

5 Cave Squigs (60)

Artillery: 

Squig Gobba (180)

Other:

3 Fanatics (100)

2 Herders (20)

Total (960)

Personally I'd be tempted to drop the 5 cave squigs as those 60 points give you 100 spare. Then go to 60 Moonclan Grots (massive unit, 130/360).

Allegiance: Stoneklaw's Gutstompas

Leaders
Grot Warboss (120)
- Moon Prodder & Giant Cave Squig 
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)

Battleline
60 x Moonclan Grots (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields 
15 x Cave Squigs (180)
- Moonclan Battleline

Units
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
2 x Grot Squig Herders (20)

War Machines
Squig Gobba (140)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 108

The spiderfang variant of 

Leaders
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)
- General

Battleline
20 x Moonclan Grots (130)
20 x Moonclan Grots (130)
10 x Grot Spider Riders (200)
- Spiderfang Battleline

War Machines
Squig Gobba (140)

Total: 980 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 85

Would also be fine but you would probably just end up going full spiderfang with that list.

Spoiler

Leaders
Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)
- General

Battleline
5 x Grot Spider Riders (100)
- Spiderfang Battleline
5 x Grot Spider Riders (100)
- Spiderfang Battleline

War Machines
Squig Gobba (140)
- Allies

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 140 / 200
Wounds: 59

Remember to check whether they allow Stoneklaw's, if they do that's a huge boon for you running any sort of pure grots list.

Thanks a bunch @Malakree! The reduction at sixty completely slipped my mind, and will likely use the first list instead, toyed with the idea of the Gobba in an other wise entire Spiderfang but figured that would be to few wounds/bodies. May offer to loan out my spiders to a friend though as I more or less have if not fully painted the boss+shaman arachnorak +30 spider riders.

I will be sure to ask at least! As I currently lack my own personal copy of the Firestorm, I was curious on if I rolled the reinforcements that would mean keeping points said for an entire unit. I.e 280 for the Gobba and a second life?

1 hour ago, Sloth said:

I will be sure to ask at least! As I currently lack my own personal copy of the Firestorm, I was curious on if I rolled the reinforcements that would mean keeping points said for an entire unit. I.e 280 for the Gobba and a second life?

Yes sadly Reinforcements is useless in matched play.

What do you guys think about the sneaky stabbing spell? I really dislike that it has the Gitmob keyword. If it had the grot keyword it would be more viable to include in other armys and compete with the moonclan shaman in popularity. 

Or would it be to OP buffing up moonclan units? or spiderfang units?

5 hours ago, albin100 said:

What do you guys think about the sneaky stabbing spell? I really dislike that it has the Gitmob keyword. If it had the grot keyword it would be more viable to include in other armys and compete with the moonclan shaman in popularity. 

Or would it be to OP buffing up moonclan units? or spiderfang units?

It would be OP as ****** buffing some other units.

As it is it's fantastic on any unit of gitmob grots and godlike on a 60 strong squad with bows. 60 shots at 3+/4+/-/1 is wood elf levels of good.

50 minutes ago, Malakree said:

It would be OP as ****** buffing some other units.

As it is it's fantastic on any unit of gitmob grots and godlike on a 60 strong squad with bows. 60 shots at 3+/4+/-/1 is wood elf levels of good.

Imagine it on 60 moonclan with spears, with the moonclan command ability for double damage on 6s to wound.  :D

1 hour ago, Sheriff said:

Imagine it on 60 moonclan with spears, with the moonclan command ability for double damage on 6s to wound.  :D

Collosal squig, 8 attacks with a 2+/2+/-3/d3 AND 2d6 4+/2+/-1/1 totally doesn't seem disgusting. Or a full str unit of cave squigs

5+/2+/-2/d3 

Seems totally balanced.

1 hour ago, Congratz said:

I'm just curious but what would a competitive Moonclan Grot Army look like for 2000 points

It was more competitive back when 1 fanatic per unit was allowed, and allegiance ability was reliable for extra movement. 

Nowadays I'm not sure what 'competitive' might look like, but a good 2k moonclan list would look largely similar I suspect, but probably with a bigger blob of grots, fewer squigs, and some artillery allies.

Something like this maybe:

• grot warboss
  • shaman
  • shaman
  • grots 60 (3 fanatics)
  • grots 20 (3 fanatics)
  • grots 20
  • 20 squigs + herders
  • colossal squig
  • 4 rock lobbas

Archived