Poll: Tactical Rock

Tactical Rock  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do u like Tactical Rocks?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes, depends on the game system
    • Sometimes, depends on the rock

Random poll time. Was just thinking about this and wondered what the general consensus is about the tactical rock. I actually dont mind most of the time. But i prefer to not have other factions models sculpted on the base like Be'lakor. So i guess i vote option 4.

(Not mine)

Edited by Gaz Taylor
Removed image due to swearing!!!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, if they add other faction‘s minis on the base, then I‘d like that to be optional. In general I‘m pretty ambivalent towards them although I think I have a very slight preference for no tactical rock but it‘s definitely not a dealbreaker for me. It fits very special minis, like those inspired from artwork or special editions or unique characters better than basic heroes IMO. 

• Like 2

In general I don't mind the tactical rocks. They're a useful tool to create different poses, or make special models stand out a bit more (especially if they'd otherwise be very similar to others in the army). Like anything else in a sculpt, I think it generally depends on the execution.

Sometimes tactical rocks work amazingly to create a unique composition (the Cavalier Marshal is a top example of this). Sometimes they feel very out of place or lazy. I do think GW overuses them somewhat, though.

I don’t mind a foot on a non descript rock but I’m not a huge fan of silly poses on unique looking structures that move around the battlefield with the mini. 
Eg, I really dislike the plastic Maugan Ra doing the splits over 2 ruins, it just doesn’t match what I feel the stance of the mini should be (IMO feet planted, firing a massive weapon would suit the character better).

But then having said that I don’t mind the Teclis base ruins, or Ahkelian King base? Maybe it’s when it detracts from the mini itself by giving weird poses that I have issue with?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I like models that come with base scenery because it generally makes the base look cooler. I dislike it, though, when I have a basing style in mind that the scenery does not fit with, like a sculpted tree stump when I am going for a city base.

Yes... that sort of thing is a bit aggravating. All the Slaanesh models' bases that have the sculpted sand dune texture on them peeve me slightly... all needs covering up. 

It also makes me wonder how people who do want the sand dune texture cope with having to sculpt their own on all the other bases (assuming they're having matching bases for their army). That's gotta be a lot of fiddly effort. 

Edited by Big Kim Woof-Woof

The make or break for me is how easy it is to build the model without the rock or basing bits, so you can fit it in with an existing basing scheme. The dream is when the model is completely separate and there's just a little indent for it to sit in on the rock or whatever. Acceptable is when there's a rock attached to some preferably smooth surface where it's easy to cut away. Terrible is something like the Farstriders kit where one of the legs is practically fused to a giant bit of fallen tree. Actually, the push fit models are some of the biggest offenders when it comes to this stuff, the cuts they need to make it work as push fit often end up with some strange bits of scenery stuck to the model.

2 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

+++ Mod Hat On +++

I really shouldn't have to remind people but this is a forum for everybody. This means No Swearing!

@Gitzdee - I've removed your image due to the swearing in it. Don't do it again

Sorry didnt actually notice the swearing to be honest.