How safe is my faction?

5 hours ago, Sarouan said:

I said that too, and see how I am now, drowned in more new miniatures I can count. Wish you better luck than I had. ;)

I intend to as well.

The good thing about all these skirmish games is that they're almost infinitely reusable (the models anyways). Plus they really spice up more advanced board games. Necromunda feeling much like Mordheim means I can create all kinds of cool units. Can't believe I turned a blind eye to this system for so long since they really let me realise the "dirty dozen" vibe I first feel in love with in 40k (The Last Chancers and Imperial Guard). Also, this game is the perfect outlet for making use of my random stack of minis.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my Drukhari (or Dark Eldar as they were known as back then) though. Even those ugly as heck warriors in the earlier editions. They're a part of my hobbying journey and will stick with me to the end.

Edited by pnkdth
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pnkdth said:

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my Drukhari (or Dark Eldar as they were known as back then) though. Even those ugly as heck warriors in the earlier editions. They're a part of my hobbying journey and will stick with me to the end.

There's a certain intoxicating flavour of nostalgia that comes with old models that are ugly as sin. The old massive-crab-clawed Daemonettes, from Fantasy Battle's fourth edition I believe, are never going to win any Best Model contests. But I love them just the same, and still use them when I feel like it! 

2 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

There's a certain intoxicating flavour of nostalgia that comes with old models that are ugly as sin. The old massive-crab-clawed Daemonettes, from Fantasy Battle's fourth edition I believe, are never going to win any Best Model contests. But I love them just the same, and still use them when I feel like it! 

It’s why I still have the original Mandrakes in my collection. Some things are so horrendously bad they loop around into being good.

• Like 1

Nostalgia is all about remembering the joy and good times you had when you first had these miniatures. When it was out for the first time, it wasn't seen as ugly as sin but as a great improvement to what they've done before (either on the style or simply the material). That's why when you see them again, you can't help but feel a certain fondness younger ones who didn't experience that can't understand (and rightly so !).

Which is why TOW is barely attracting new players, IMHO. Younger generation players have different standards because they don't have nostalgia. That's what some of them can feel that here : those miniatures that are removed, they will be part of their own nostalgia in the future, I'm pretty sure of it. Because they're tied to good times they had when they were still around.

Hell, as a Warcry player who started with the very 1st box, I guess I will be feeling the same with all those lovely chaos warbands that are being removed as well from the range.

The thing is, for nostalgia to work, it has to be something that's not around anymore in the first place. That's why it's so strongly appealing when they are coming back later. Here, GW decides to remove it and give some kind of "roadmap" of what will becomes of their support in game. What they're not telling is what will replace them in the future. Reimagined miniatures ? New factions ? New packaging ? Who knows, future will tell.

Edited by Sarouan

IMO the 3 year edition cycle necessitates army squatting or souping to some extent. If all factions are to receive an updated tome for each edition and they want to release completely new factions, something has to give.

A lot of us want to see new things like Chorfs, Malerion Aelves, Kurnoth etc but this has to come at the expense of losing something old. Or souping factions together. Neither option is popular.

If the edition cycle was longer, would be more time in the production calendar to keep more existing armies going and insert newer ones. I get that the 3yr thing is a money decision and the launch boxes/starter box refresh brings a lot of interest, but why not just have a hyped "big box" release every 3years with a refresh of models and a newly printed Core book containing the latest errata inside, but otherwise leaving the rules alone. People would still buy it for the latest print/new models and it would still be a good starting point for new players.

If GW ever get close to faction balance they then have to start from scratch again when a new edition drops. That new edition development time could be spent better play-testing new armies to balance with existing factions.

On 4/14/2024 at 9:59 AM, GrimDork said:

IMO the 3 year edition cycle necessitates army squatting or souping to some extent. If all factions are to receive an updated tome for each edition and they want to release completely new factions, something has to give.

A lot of us want to see new things like Chorfs, Malerion Aelves, Kurnoth etc but this has to come at the expense of losing something old. Or souping factions together. Neither option is popular.

If the edition cycle was longer, would be more time in the production calendar to keep more existing armies going and insert newer ones. I get that the 3yr thing is a money decision and the launch boxes/starter box refresh brings a lot of interest, but why not just have a hyped "big box" release every 3years with a refresh of models and a newly printed Core book containing the latest errata inside, but otherwise leaving the rules alone. People would still buy it for the latest print/new models and it would still be a good starting point for new players.

If GW ever get close to faction balance they then have to start from scratch again when a new edition drops. That new edition development time could be spent better play-testing new armies to balance with existing factions.

Yeah, I would rather have a 5 or 6 year cycle than these short editions personally. I hate people getting Battletomes/Codexes a month or two before the edition dies. OR, as many have said before, switch to digital rules and drop the BT/Codex system for anything other than lore and art.

• Like 5

Being in the hobby a long time I have accepted that there is little certainty my faction will stay.

And if it does I expect to have to get used to changes in how they play I would prefer not to.

Feeling a bit bitter about the Beasts, but I have used the following only to see them fade and die. Some reappear to a degree.

Beasts more than a whole army.

Fimir a whole army.

Chaos Dwarfs a whole army.

Chaos Squats, not a whole army.

And who remembers the Khorne Boyz and Stormboz. Sadly not a whole army.

• Like 1