TOW 1.0 - Kingdom of Bretonnia, Errantry Crusades & Exiles Discussion

Seeing that we now have a dedicated area for all Old World stuff I though a thread for all things Bretonnia might be in order, from Vanilla to Crusade and even the Exiles (of which I will probably be one).

For the Lady!

• Like 1

They look CoS Cavaliers sized?

I have to say while I was in the beginning not a fan of those foot knights aestehetic and I preferred a plastic QK or GK set instead of foot knights for Bretonnia. The mini's look a lot better than I expected, especially the sword/shield variants. I really like the design of the swords.

How do they perform on the battlefield?

Still a proper Bretonnian knight fights from horseback.😄

I'm also curious to see how people have been running / theorycrafting foot knights as the models are -gorgeous-. My thoughts are using them with great weapons as I'm not sure there's much need for them being an anvil with sword and shield when yeoman guard/men at arms blobs are so cheap.

One thing I have discovered during my game with brets I had vs goblins was that a baron on royal pegasus with the exiles magic axe and gromril helm is an absolute beast in combat. She really ran rampant through some units and I had the good fun of doing enough overkill during a challenge that she managed to make an entire unit of orcs and their warboss flee and get run down...

2 hours ago, Lightbox said:

I'm also curious to see how people have been running / theorycrafting foot knights as the models are -gorgeous-. My thoughts are using them with great weapons as I'm not sure there's much need for them being an anvil with sword and shield when yeoman guard/men at arms blobs are so cheap.

They've got Furious Charge, so great weapons and a relatively large unit to soak up casualties feel like the most sensible option (even with the Blessing, they're pretty squishy!). Apart from that, run them in a Errantry War list, or as Exiles with the Vanguard banner to guarantee they get that charge?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

They've got Furious Charge, so great weapons and a relatively large unit to soak up casualties feel like the most sensible option (even with the Blessing, they're pretty squishy!). Apart from that, run them in a Errantry War list, or as Exiles with the Vanguard banner to guarantee they get that charge?

Yeah I was thinking of making 20 of them. I have 2 boxes so was planning 20 GW, 10 S/S (because I like the models) who can always sit in the back rows as extra GW boys and girls in a pinch and then use the spare 10 bodies for conversions and such.

I also kinda wish we had a few options of great weapons without the second hand molded on so I could use them for grail knight conversions but that should be a fairly easy fix anyway. Also using the upper torsos on KotR legs shouldn't be too hard a conversion.

Edited by Lightbox

The start of my first lance. A lance of 10 Errant knights. I only need to print the Gallant and than I have 10 😄. Lol, it will take a while to get everything painted. 😮 After that 2 lances of 10 KotR each :-D.

Edit: Added a close up of the shield (wip). I like it. I am going for 5th edition heraldry style.

433857668_322171960874275_5091744621177902273_n.jpg?ex=66107725&is=65fe0225&hm=aae869654abf835a3a46b40614b75e49e98a466b396bde4ecc60de39e445c471&=image.jpeg.b99fb211c80b07c94b31e68a2eb566f1.jpeg

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Very nice! Is that a Dragon Prince banner?

(Reminds me, I need to source a Dragon Prince banner top to spruce up my Prince Ulther's unit now they'll finally have playable rules!)

It is, the Horn could also be. Those two bits have been in my bits box for almost a decade now (if not longer!)

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 6:35 PM, JackStreicher said:

Since I really liked Lords of the Lance (It has its weaknesses) 

I was waiting for reviews, but they've been pretty much useless as they are filled with people being angry at female knights, and knights using bows (the former really doesn't bother me, the latter bothers me a tiny bit, but it's the sure if things I can ignore). I have an audible credit, so I'm tempted to pick it up: do you recommend it?

Just now, JerekKruger said:

I was waiting for reviews, but they've been pretty much useless as they are filled with people being angry at female knights, and knights using bows (the former really doesn't bother me, the latter bothers me a tiny bit, but it's the sure if things I can ignore). I have an audible credit, so I'm tempted to pick it up: do you recommend it?

Absolutely! The story and the characters were great! Every loss did hurt.

only criticism (apart from what you mentioned, which doesn’t bother me): The hardships they encounter on their journey are kind of unlikely, all of them and there’s a lot of unlikely encounters :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

While I am still waiting for Forces of Fantasy and the Arcane Journal to come back into stock, and therefore will wait with building of some models until I have read the rules and made an army list, I thought I would get started on some of the more simple elements and get them built in readiness.

I am going to start with the Archers and I was wondering if a command group for them is really needed, or could I use those bodies to bolster the Men-at-Arms or use them for things like artillery crew or some such.    

Edit: Followon question, how many Archers would you consider a good amount? 

Edited by Trokair

Build some Peasant archers this week. The front 10 are skirmishers, and I did some light conversion work to reangle arms/bows and such.

Then at the back is a bigger unit. Slight filler in the front rank in the form of some spare  of the barricade logs stuck upright with a flag attached and one a second base a drum converted into a barrel full of arrows and a brassier.

image.png.9296c684ef0070ae1f612ebf68a40951.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Men at Arms built. That should be all the peasants for now, got a few bodies left to add crew to war machines or bulk out battle pilgrims if I do a unit of those.

image.png.75c7b641ac10512f7a489c99403fa913.png

Not sure what to do next, considering Mounted Knights or Foot Knights.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know it is technically an AoS model, but this is my colour scheme test for my Men-at-Arms.

I might pick a slightly different dark green as the pot has gone wired with age and despite lots of shaking and such I could not get it to be truly smooth and homogonous, which is fine for the cloth, but less so for the shield.

image.png.6f8e2c198d6218b1b6e765133f272949.png

• Like 1

Honestly, he would find its place easily in a bretonnian army. And if you put knight on foot next to him, the difference in height would be less striking I believe.

This picture shows how much better it is to have your basic infantry on 25x25 base than the old 20x20 one. Sooo much easier to use AoS miniatures to TOW.