AoS Cities of Sigmar Battletome 2023 Discussion

1 hour ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

My problems with Tahlia is 1/she sorta orients you towards infantry spam (which i do not want to get into) 2/I really don't like Hammerhal Aqsha colour scheme and 3/she's more expensive than a Bloodthirster for worse stats. 

Personal takes:

1. She doesn't push you into infantry spam as much as she pushes you out of spamming single models. Her 4+ rally works well on Cavalliers, too.
  2. The GW paint police is not real and can't hurt you.I
  3. She is kind of a hybrid beat stick/buff piece, that is true. I would have kind of preferred her to just be a more scary fighter, too. But no other character kit in Cities is really that fighty, either.

Plus she is the only big kit in the new aesthetic. If you want to recommend hype new stuff, that really narrows down your options. I love the Steam Tank, personally, but I heard some people say it looks like an upside down bathtub and I can't honestly say they are wrong.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Personal takes:

1. She doesn't push you into infantry spam as much as she pushes you out of spamming single models. Her 4+ rally works well on Cavalliers, too.
  2. The GW paint police is not real and can't hurt you.I
  3. She is kind of a hybrid beat stick/buff piece, that is true. I would have kind of preferred her to just be a more scary fighter, too. But no other character kit in Cities is really that fighty, either.

Plus she is the only big kit in the new aesthetic. If you want to recommend hype new stuff, that really narrows down your options. I love the Steam Tank, personally, but I heard some people say it looks like an upside down bathtub and I can't honestly say they are wrong.

Imo they messed up making a generic version of her do they had to keep her rules accessible to all Subfactions and they had to keep the Griffon around.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Imo they messed up making a generic version of her do they had to keep her rules accessible to all Subfactions and they had to keep the Griffon around.

A generic version would have been nice. But she misses out on very few rules by being HAMMERHAL locked. Only Misthavn, Lethis and Living City, as far as I can tell. She works like normal with everything else, apart from not being a Warmaster.

12 hours ago, dekay said:

They are a small, pretty low profile unit that's easy to hide (just 6 small models). They have 18 wounds and automatically regenerate d3 a turn as long as the surgeon is alive.  So pretty solid for holding an objective somewhere close to your friendly territory.

Maybe I have been out of the AoS loop for too long. However until today I always thought that the entire Freeguild Command Corps had only 3 Wounds...... . 😄
But then there has never been a Unit (apart from the Gobbapalooza) that had this weird setup of diverse characters. As far as I know. 

Glad to be back btw. I am looking forward to all your conversions.

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2023 at 3:08 PM, Beliman said:

I suppose that they are the next ones with elfs and dwarfs to be removed.
I would never suggest to buy any of this kits, unless you love their design and/or you plan to play TOW.

I suspect the models that were removed were removed less because of anything to do with Cities and more to do with them being part of the Old World release armies. I don't think GW wants too much cross over between the two. So I would think that dwarfs and dark elfs would be removed in the next book from COS to allow them to go to Old World and I think the Griffin stayed prob because ol King Karl is dead in the new story and they'll get a new kit to replace him. Don't know of course, just a thought.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Thugmullet said:

I suspect the models that were removed were removed less because of anything to do with Cities and more to do with them being part of the Old World release armies. I don't think GW wants too much cross over between the two. So I would think that dwarfs and dark elfs would be removed in the next book from COS to allow them to go to Old World and I think the Griffin stayed prob because ol King Karl is dead in the new story and they'll get a new kit to replace him. Don't know of course, just a thought.

Personally, I don't think TOW is causing any model retirement in AoS. I would look at ToW more like the retirement home where AoS models go when they are removed from AoS for independent reasons.

I agree that dwarves and dark elves will eventually be retired. Hopefully, they get replaced by bespoke Cities dwarves and elves, though. I don't see them going the way of the Phoenix Temple units like some people are, to be honest. I don't believe that Cities will become a pure human faction.

• Like 3

yes they wont remove elfs and dwarfs never,if that was gw objetive then they would have deleted cities of sigmar with this release and release a new army of only these humans,maybe a very small army but fyreslayers is smaller so it is posible.

meanwhile i bougth one start collecting anvilgard seeing as it have been removed from gw store allready,maybe in 2/3 years they gonna replace these dark elfs,or maybe not,but im a collectionist and must have every unit from the book also i cant miss a discount,if i see that a box with disscount is leaving i must get it before loose the disscount haha.

now one question,somebody have tried magnetice the hydra and charriot? seems too much work,and i dont know if worth it or only build the hydra because i don like the style of the karibdys

i would use them if i have them, but they are very expensive in € so i wont buy them and i dont like his miniature(black guards are so much more cool). i dont know how is posible they cost 45€ when usually fantasy units are cheaper than aos units

but i have 40 hammerers that are almost so good as executioners and i gonna use them in every list

• Like 3

First test list of the Dark Elves.  Black Dragon Lord doesn't seem too awesome for his points.  While I like the shield, no innate ward save is pretty meh for that level of dude.  But I like the monsters, and especially when the can show up on the enemy's backfield if needed to destroy faction terrain.

Certainly not a top tier, or S-tier as they say, but seems pretty fun.  I'd like to outflank the Scourge Privateers as if they were pirates sailing around, like Gutrot Spume, or old Wulfrik the Wanderer (I miss that guy!).

Dark Elves horde list v1.JPG

• Like 1

hnnnn how play around with a unit of 3 charriots? 

i never played a unit with bases so big,many times even get in a single monster is hard so i really dont know how i could get in combat to these 3 big bases.

i would like try it because in paper 3 charriots sounds amazing! but i feel gonna be umplayable with that big base

13 minutes ago, Doko said:

i never played a unit with bases so big,many times even get in a single monster is hard so i really dont know how i could get in combat to these 3 big bases.

i would like try it because in paper 3 charriots sounds amazing! but i feel gonna be umplayable with that big base

Depending on your drops you could run three singles instead. Having a bunch of big bases around the board can make movement really tricky for your opponent if you space them right, because they can't move within 3" of them. You can space then out to 6" (or more even depending on the opposing units' base sizes) and it becomes basically impossible for non-flying units to get through your line. And if you want to focus your force, you don't have to worry about coherency, either.

High drops is a legitimate choice. Just get those free artefacts and command points and deployment advantage.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Doko said:

To me, the problem of a 3 chariot unit is that you get no champion - so no issuing commands from the champion to the other chariots, like how let's say Idoneth do with multi model shark units. 

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
  • Like 2

These are very insightful thoughts on the multiple chariot blob.  I think the 3 singles is the way to go now, and they'd still get the same amount of average charging MW if the ColdOne Knights were in range.  

Can't wait to see how these Orders work out.  Getting to do some reactionary stuff without having to spend CPs will be a welcome new thing.  I hope.....never seem to have enough CPs.  Unlike those cursed OBRs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1