Dawnbringer Crusade: Harbingers Lore Discussion. SPOILERS.

Not gonna say anything super spoilery yet but I will begin by saying I Love how they keep putting cities and settlements in creative places. A settlement focused on glass making for Aqua Ghyranis bottles to pay the troops? Have Dawners travel down below and build it in the vast underground tunnels and magma vents of Aqshy! Lots of heat for glass manufacture and the tunnels are far safer and easier to travel than the surface so their progress was unimpeded(until 🌙 anyway).

With how there’s massive tunnel complexes running through all the Realms(be it dug by magical/living tectonic shifts, giant underground creatures, wild directionless spells or a plethora of underground races) it’s great to see that you can have tons of new cities down there plus makes a very easy set-up for new locations of WHQ, Warcry and especially UnderWorlds to be set in such active subterranean cities with usually important roles.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Not gonna say anything super spoilery yet but I will begin by saying I Love how they keep putting cities and settlements in creative places. A settlement focused on glass making for Aqua Ghyranis bottles to pay the troops? Have Dawners travel down below and build it in the vast underground tunnels and magma vents of Aqshy! Lots of heat for glass manufacture and the tunnels are far safer and easier to travel than the surface so their progress was unimpeded(until 🌙 anyway).

With how there’s massive tunnel complexes running through all the Realms(be it dug by magical/living tectonic shifts, giant underground creatures, wild directionless spells or a plethora of underground races) it’s great to see that you can have tons of new cities down there plus makes a very easy set-up for new locations of WHQ, Warcry and especially UnderWorlds to be set in such active subterranean cities with usually important roles.

If you've already got the book, how's the art? Are there many new pieces?

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 7:59 AM, Chikout said:

If you've already got the book, how's the art? Are there many new pieces?

Art is cool, but from what I've seen from my quick scan so far at least most of the Fyreslayer pieces are reused/already shown on warcom.

• Thanks 1

I got the book on Thursday. Talking about the fluff : read it in one go and loved it.

BUT even if it's IMO a very nice book, I think it will have less impact on people than Broken Realm : Morathi (it also is rather shorter : 31 pages vs 91). It is worth reading the four WarCom Dawnbringers Chronicles before the book itself.

A few interesting lore points, in no specific order (SPOILERS) : 

• Spoiler
    • The lore is coherent and matured. The AOS setting really is built : the story line draws from things like BL books (City of Secrets) to the recent Blacktalon Wharmmer+ show. Things are changing here and there, e.g. the Brimstone Peninsula apparently fell back to Khorne. 
    • The general narrative feels like an update from the AOS 1st ed Cities of Sigmar first background debuts, in Season Of War : Seeds Of Hope (summer 2016 campaign) and Season Of War : Firestorm (2017 campaign set), then already focusing on Aqshy and Ghyran - and that's good!
    • Probable hints of things to come include :
      • Ushoran the Summer King for FEC
      • A Throggoth army inc. a giant leader with a portal on its back
      • A regal (and feminine ? at least in French) figure of Ruin which has plans against the Everspring Swath in Ghyran, according to the Varanguard. Could be Valkia ? Dechala ? IDK...
    • Personnal favorite : I really liked the Harbingers of Decay lore as a company of Knightly Priests. The fact that they are said to be bound by pacts with the Varanguard, Inner Circle of the Everchosen, like two Medieval Chevlary Orders in the same general coalition, is well put. Nurgle really has a great variety of tools at its disposal to conduct warfare and that's why he is BEST GOD. 

As an aside, I also got the General's Handbook, and it has pictures in the first pages with the new Intact Azyrite Building on a board with only Citadel Kits, so it's fair to say it is not scratbuilt.

Edited by HorticulusTGA
  • Like 4

I picked it up early on Saturday morning. Took it home and read through it with a cup of tea. As I sat down it started pouring (one of those super summer showers) Reading through the RAIN OF DOUBT and of Alarielle's healing rains across the Everspring Swathe made me smile. :)

The book overall is good, the quality is there but the quantity is lacking. I was left wanting more and felt as though we just got snippets of information rather than significant substance. That "level" of information is good for a Warcom article, but a fully-fledged book? Not enough. I was also pretty disappointed by the lack of artwork, I also feel like it should be a rule that new books come with at least one new map.

Solid B+ Grade. 

SPOILERS

I really liked the snippet regarding the Metaliths that float above the farming terraces of Hammerhal Ghyra and how the various merchants and farming barons competed to have them winched over their lands, as the Healing Rains had formed large pools and lakes on them containing the magical water, which they wanted for their crops. 

The SUBTERRANEAN MENACE and the Grots emerge in the Glass Foundry and proceed to trash the place. "Bull in a China Shop" should become "Goblin in a Glass Foundry" :D

Think it would have been cooler for Fjori to lose his fingers and eye in an epic fight with Braggit, rather than having them torn off by some random Squig/Squigbat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I forgot to add to my list :

Spoiler

The fluff of new CoS Lady on Manticore from WarCom - and the origin of her different weapons - is apparently set after DB : Book 1. As the people called traitors in said article are active in Hammerhal Conclave in Harbingers...

Anyway 

9 hours ago, Fellman said:

Ohh pleas lett us have calis an toll modell

I wonder if their appearance in Hammer & Bolter - just like Neave Blacktalon in her own show in Thunderstrike Armor - heralds a models release soonish with Dawnbringers / Cities of Sigmar / some Black Library event ?

Can you also take a picture of the page that mentions the Varanguard and the Harbingers of Decay, please ?

9 hours ago, Hollow said:

As I sat down it started pouring (one of those super summer showers)

EXCELLENT

So, spoilers ahead:

Loved the book! Wins for every faction feels good, and I can't wait to hear more about the corrupt leadership in both Aqsha and Ghyra and how they'll influence the Crusades.

It looks like all 4 Harbingers are going to have a larger part to play. Good, would be a shame for them to be even more throwaway characters. Jerrion got a clear victory over Plugoth, Fjori got more of a Pyrrhic victory over Braggit. I can see them facing off again for sure.

The book serves as an excellent prelude to the twin-tailed crusades. Even though I expect Ghyran to fail due to Ushoran, it could truly go either way. The big Portal Troggoth seems like an issue as well to say the least, it's even implied that Braggit might be running from it after awakening it.

I also think Callis and Toll models are getting more and more likely with their constant correspondence throughout the book. Even mention of Arika Zenthe in the book. The big portal Troggoth also seems to be a great guess for a future model.

I'm extremely curious where they'll go with the Fyreslayers. Most of Fjoris Flamebearers seem to have died (at least while keeping their oath to Hammerhal and settling grudges), but the big Troggoth that destroyed Guzanhold is still out there. Fyreslayers have been hinted by Whitefang to be getting something more than just a hero, but it's unknown if it's going to be a Warcry warband, a unit/expansion with Dawnbringers or an expansion in the 4th edition.

Maybe the army set for CoS will even release before the second book. It looks like Tahlia Vedra is not yet in a high position, and the crusades have not yet begun.

So in terms of miniature releases during Dawnbringers I'm expecting:

-Thunderstrike Neave for SCE, I think she's going to play a role and it would be logical with the show just having ended.

-Callis and Toll for CoS. They're established, play a role in Dawnbringers. Zenthe will probably not get a model since she's not human.

-Big Portal Troggoth for GSG, even though Gitz have already had a hero

-Ushoran for FeC due to the constant 'Summer King' mentions

-Maw Krusha for IJ, probably something more for the other Orruk armies.

-(Wishlisting) Maybe something more for FS, or Fjori is just going to die like most FS lodges and characters they introduce (lmao)

For other factions, I'm not sure yet. There are guesses to be made based on Rumour Engines or other speculation, but the story can go everywhere basically.

Okay that was my incoherent rant on the book, I can't wait to see what everyone else thinks of it!

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 9:09 AM, Gitzdee said:

Troggoth army

Yeah ! Also mentioned in Dawnbringers Chronicles (part III iirc) : 

1. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/09/dawnbringer-chronicles-part-i-the-missive/
  2. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/16/dawnbringer-chronicles-part-ii-ringing-in-the-dawn/
  3. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/23/dawnbringer-chronicles-part-iii-survivors/
  4. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/30/dawnbringer-chronicles-part-iv-da-great-smash/
On 7/10/2023 at 9:09 AM, Gitzdee said:

Gnarlwood or Morghur

Alas, nothing for now. 

3 hours ago, Freemeta said:

how Phoenicium will be deleted

Nothing yet either. But the series would be the best place to talk about it (or the CoS book itself, of course...).

@Snarff we are on the same page. Between AOS releases for COS and FEC, new season of Warcry, Black Library, Warhammer+ and the series itself, we'll have lot of potential slots for the new models you mentioned :) 

• Thanks 1

What I am very excited about is that one of the slain Fyreslayers from Guzanhold named by Fjori is a distinctly female-sounding name, and it mentions his slain sisters from Guzanhold.

'Hrola'

IMG_20230711_165237882_HDR.jpg.7e7563348db9ca3b369358556df788e5.jpg

Kind of gives me hope that when FS finally get their update, we'll see the first female Duardin models included in it. Especially since it's already so baked into the FS lore.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 3

On 7/9/2023 at 11:12 PM, Fellman said:

Ohh pleas lett us have calis an toll modell

20230709_223813.jpg

Whitefang liked my comment speculating about Callis and Toll, Portal Troggoth, Thunderstrike Neave Blacktalon and Ushoran models over on the Rumour thread so I guess that's a positive!

• LOVE IT! 4

On 7/9/2023 at 9:42 PM, HorticulusTGA said:

I got the book on Thursday. Talking about the fluff : read it in one go and loved it.

BUT even if it's IMO a very nice book, I think it will have less impact on people than Broken Realm : Morathi (it also is rather shorter : 31 pages vs 91). It is worth reading the four WarCom Dawnbringers Chronicles before the book itself.

A few interesting lore points, in no specific order (SPOILERS) : 

•   Hide contents
    • The lore is coherent and matured. The AOS setting really is built : the story line draws from things like BL books (City of Secrets) to the recent Blacktalon Wharmmer+ show. Things are changing here and there, e.g. the Brimstone Peninsula apparently fell back to Khorne. 
    • The general narrative feels like an update from the AOS 1st ed Cities of Sigmar first background debuts, in Season Of War : Seeds Of Hope (summer 2016 campaign) and Season Of War : Firestorm (2017 campaign set), then already focusing on Aqshy and Ghyran - and that's good!
    • Probable hints of things to come include :
      • Ushoran the Summer King for FEC
      • A Throggoth army inc. a giant leader with a portal on its back
      • A regal (and feminine ? at least in French) figure of Ruin which has plans against the Everspring Swath in Ghyran, according to the Varanguard. Could be Valkia ? Dechala ? IDK...
    • Personnal favorite : I really liked the Harbingers of Decay lore as a company of Knightly Priests. The fact that they are said to be bound by pacts with the Varanguard, Inner Circle of the Everchosen, like two Medieval Chevlary Orders in the same general coalition, is well put. Nurgle really has a great variety of tools at its disposal to conduct warfare and that's why he is BEST GOD. 

As an aside, I also got the General's Handbook, and it has pictures in the first pages with the new Intact Azyrite Building on a board with only Citadel Kits, so it's fair to say it is not scratbuilt.

That bit regarding The Harbingers of Decay is so in character it’s not even funny, it’s just awesome! I like that we’re seeing places like the Eightpoints and the Varanguard actually get some lore tied to them, as until now they’ve just been showpieces for Archaon’s success and failures. Now though, we have seen a circle rebel and join Be’lakor, various tribes and cities that surround the area, and now an entire unit of a monopod faction being partially aligned with the fortress. 
In regards to the mystery lady(?) leading a chaos counter attack…. I have no clue who it could be. Valkia seems like the most obvious candidate, seeing as how she was technically “updated” via total war, or it could be Dechala or even the Lady of Flies from the novels and Battletomes (Nurgle does seem to be getting a major role here after all).

My copy was delayed but finally had a read through.

Echoing that the quality is there, but the quantity is not. Definitely felt like a prelude, given the titular Crusades being launched are only being discussed by the Conclaves at the very last pages. I wasn't expecting a novel or anything, but for an (RRP) £25 lore book you'd hope for more meat on the bone, especially when not a whole lot of much actually happens. Part of me wonders if they were limited by suits getting paranoid it might 'spoil' some of the as-yet-unrevealed Cities of Sigmar units.

Despite being a Fyreslayer-stan I definitely felt like Ghyran got far and away the most interesting coverage, between the way Nurgle and Alarielle had their 'Duel of Rains', to the brief snippets of politics between the Heralds of Decay and Varanguard and references to totally-not-Ushoran. By contrast, "grots smash up glassworks" was more like reading the fluff of a White Dwarf Battle Report. Still, it was nice to have Fjori and Co. depicted as being more altruistic than "gruff mercenary wants payment and doesn't care about the rest." I liked the Pyre-Priests, I would've liked to read more about Hammerhal's attempts to literally burn the plague away.

With the setup for Ushoran and direct attention of Nurgle it does seem like the Ghyran Crusade will be the one to fail, although I'm sure the 'portal troggoth' will cause some harm.

Tallis and Toll definitely seem like they're being prepped to receive models given how much they're popping up across AoS media. Makes it surprising they haven't had another novel yet, but maybe that's being saved for the inevitable AoS 4.0 marketing blowout. 

Overall I'm pretty disappointed, but mainly due to the price:content ratio being pretty awful even for a GW product. What's there is good, but not enough to justify the price of admission unless you're in a community which will actively make use of the Path To Glory Battlepack. Unless it comes with good chunk of Fyreslayer-related content (which seems doubtful) I'll probably be skipping the next one.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

portal troggoth

Any more info on this would be greatly appreciated as I'm not going to spend money on it but damn do love me some troggs!

Think its a new species or just a named Dank or what!? What's it actually do in the book!?

Edited by Vasshpit

4 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

So was it just me or did they mention not 1 but 5 new Troggoths!?

The Frost Troggoth in Andtor, the moss covered and Armour plated trogg and the especially rare 'Rock headed Trogg'.

Not to mention the colossal Portal Trogg!!

Frost Troggoths for Ogors?

Moss covered and armour plated Trogg. A Fellwater hero?

Rock headed Trogg, a Rockgut hero?

Portal Trogg seems like an epic model.

• LOVE IT! 1