TGA Ultimate Guide to Bases in Age of Sigmar

Ben

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2017 at 7:10 PM, chord said:

I see chaos warhounds are recommended to use 60x35mm.  Has anyone tried them on round instead? I think round may look better for them.  Thoughts?

I'm probably wrong about this, but I'm putting stuff like hounds, fast cav, weapon teams etc on the bike ovals. They don't look right to me on anything bigger.

On 6/27/2016 at 6:29 PM, jamierk said:

As part of this, apart from Secret Weapons Miniatures and MicroArt Studios (both great base makers btw), does anyone know of other good resin base manufacturers I could look at with ranges that include ovals?

Check out Elrik's Hobbies....

The Nighthaunt Cairnwraith and Tomb Banshee are both listed at 32mm, but the pictures on the warscrolls look much more like 25mm(I have mine based at 25mm and it looks spot on) and it looks like the Tormented Spirits Allies box is coming with a 25mm for the Cairn Wraith(not to mention they're both pretty svelte models that would look ridiculous on 32mm). So if @The Stronghold or anyone else with write access would update it, that'd be great.

On 6/28/2016 at 12:29 AM, jamierk said:

As part of this, apart from Secret Weapons Miniatures and MicroArt Studios (both great base makers btw), does anyone know of other good resin base manufacturers I could look at with ranges that include ovals?

On 10/21/2017 at 12:18 PM, Tasman said:

Check out Elrik's Hobbies....

Also Bits of War, Green Stuff World and puppetswar. Have a look not all of the are like Elrik's but you can find good stuff.

On 10/2/2017 at 7:51 PM, Ben said:

if people want access I can dish it out, but we had issues early on with the open doc getting messed with.  a few moderators would be great to keep it updated

I notice Treelord and Treelord Anient on the sheet are on 170mm oval bases which seem a bit excessivexD. On GW website they say they supply the box with a 105mm oval base ( I assume 105x90mm). Maybe one of the admin would like to change it ^_^

9 minutes ago, Memnoch said:

My wife just bought a Lord of Slaanesh on a Demonic Mount and it comes with a 50mm square base. I checked the list and the round size is missing for that model, and we're not quite sure what to put him on.

What round size are people using for that one?

I run mine on a 60 round. It looks good on there.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Memnoch said:

My wife just bought a Lord of Slaanesh on a Demonic Mount and it comes with a 50mm square base. I checked the list and the round size is missing for that model, and we're not quite sure what to put him on.

What round size are people using for that one?

Typically, you go up one size when going to round.  For example, many models that came with 20mm Squares were moved to 25mm Rounds, while 25mm Squares got bumped up to 32mm Rounds.  There are some exceptions (some 40mm Squares went to 40mm Rounds), but that's a good rule of thumb.

I would try a 50 or 60mm Round and go from there.  The 60mm will probably look better, but I'm not familiar with the model (never seen one of those in person).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Question about the Bretonnian Bases.

Why do you suggest using 32mm for Damsel & Foot Paladin? The original models are on 20x20, shouldn't it be 25mm?

And for Pegasus knights and Fay enchantess.

Pegasus come with 40x40bases. Why use 75x46 not 50mm as with Terradon Riders which also came on 40x40 originaly. Especialy that these models are wider than longer.

The Fay Enchantress come with 50x50 base. Shouldn't she get something more round than 75x46 ?

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2017 at 8:37 PM, frogboy said:

Anyone know what size base a Hell Cannon is meant to be on please?

Also I have some Dragon Ogres made from Cold One bodys and Black Orcs, what size base for them?

Thanks in advance

Dude, right where im at at,. found a nice blog had hellcannon on 130 round, to account for the chains holding the thing back, and still not 100% on Dragon Ogors but GW email told me 75x46... I disagree with that. Though with cold one bottom halves they might be tad smaller than real dragon ogres.

94373FE8-7896-4F97-9877-0AE7EC1625FE.jpeg.b869cc3fff9d070f7861aee10b23f8c5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

The base sizes for flesh hounds of khorne is listed as 60x35 (with a yellow background - not sure what this means)

However, the models come shipped with rectangular cavalry bases or 50mm round bases.

Why is the size listed differently in the spreadsheet?

Thanks,

Adam.

On 11/18/2016 at 3:58 AM, Saulot said:

Hey guys, need some advice on how to base some of my models:

Dreadlord on Black Dragon : 120X92mm or 105x75mm or 130mm round

Hydra : 120X92mm or 105x75mm

Drakespwn Chariot : 120X92mm or 105x75mm

Thanks!

ok so, for all those peeps who don t know still or are uncertain about their basing for monsters and behemoth, the snake version of Morathi will be supplied with a 100mm base so all those black dragons, dragon lord/mage, which still cannot find a fit...well. there it is. I think Morathi's model will be big enough to be comparable with all these dragons meaning 130mm is way too big for them.

Daughters of Khaine thoughts... the current Cauldron of Blood/Bloodwrack Shrine kit says it comes with a 40mm round base, that seems too small for both the Bloodwrack Medusa (I have mine on a 50mm since before and it's perfect) and the Avatar of Khaine. The Avatar in particular is puzzling, the only photo of one on foot in the book has the base obscured by mists (p. 34) and the 360-degree view of one on the GW online store suggests it is on a 50mm base (I did some measuring on the screen and in real life to find comparison points). The Medusa I could maybe see on a 40mm though she does splay out a bit then (and heroes tend to be on larger bases than their infantry counterparts, the new Melusai are on 40mm), but certainly never the 25mm the document currently suggests. Actually I just looked in the book and the Bloodwrack Medusa there is clearly on a 50mm base.

I think they should both be listed as 50mm due to their model sizes, relative impacts on the game and GW precedents - thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Which base you recommend for the Frostheart Phoenix? Stardrake size doesnt seem too bad because its just the length of phoenix. But is that still too big? Would basic flyer base still be better?

Edited by eduboy

The Chart says a Skink Priest is in a 32mm but mine is in a 25mm, it also says the Saurus heroes should be in a 40mm base but that's a size higher than the 32mm of the rest of the Saurus. Is the chart right? Should I put Skink Heroes in 32mm and Saurus Heroes in 40mm instead of the 25mm and 40mm the normal units are in?

• 2 weeks later...

@Ben The Flesh-hound of Khorne from the Shadespire Set (Magore's Fiends) comes with a 50mm base. I'm voting that we update the 60x35mm to a 50mm round.

On 3/3/2018 at 4:34 AM, Adam Walton said:

The base sizes for flesh hounds of khorne is listed as 60x35 [...]

However, the models come shipped with [...] 50mm round bases.

The recommended 60x35 is (likely) based (ha!) on a 'one up size oval' from the Cavalry bases.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2017 at 3:37 AM, frogboy said:

Anyone know what size base a Hell Cannon is meant to be on please?

Also I have some Dragon Ogres made from Cold One bodys and Black Orcs, what size base for them?

Thanks in advance

I have finished my hell cannon basing journey.   The answer is "depends. "  if you have all the extra goodies (chains and piles),  you want a 170mm oval.  All the smaller bases mess up the chains 

I have seen bare bones hellcannons on much smaller bases.

IMAG0597.jpg

• Like 2