Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin RTS discussion

Btw, I have an ongoing project of building my own dawnbringed funded village. In order to have inspiration I've screenshoted all the buildings/ items I thought could be interesting to take inspiration from:

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198048667112/screenshots/?appid=0&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall&privacy=8

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 3

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Btw, I have an ongoing project of building my own dawnbringed funded village. In order to have inspiration I've screenshoted all the buildings/ items I thought could be interesting to take inspiration from:

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198048667112/screenshots/?appid=0&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall&privacy=8

The map-editor mode is awesome. It has infinite potential.

10/10

Played a bunch of campaign and conquest last night.

I'm still not really feeling the "slowness" of campaign though conquest was noticeably speedier for roaming units between objectives. however, I still got my butt kicked in campaign because the AI can micro a lot better. dropping conquest to easy was a bit more manageable (so far). TBH i'm not sure how i'll fare with increased speed on normal/medium!

there will probably be some patches to help unit responsiveness, some of the movement can get stuttery. people complaining about melee units standing around getting shot either forgot or don't know RTS games do that. however, a physical minimap notification for fights happening would help IMO. there's AUDIO cues but when multiple things happen at once they can get lost like in real battles.

3 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Played a bunch of campaign and conquest last night.

I'm still not really feeling the "slowness" of campaign though conquest was noticeably speedier for roaming units between objectives. however, I still got my butt kicked in campaign because the AI can micro a lot better. dropping conquest to easy was a bit more manageable (so far). TBH i'm not sure how i'll fare with increased speed on normal/medium!

there will probably be some patches to help unit responsiveness, some of the movement can get stuttery. people complaining about melee units standing around getting shot either forgot or don't know RTS games do that. however, a physical minimap notification for fights happening would help IMO. there's AUDIO cues but when multiple things happen at once they can get lost like in real battles.

I play at max difficulty and prob would reduce it a bit. At campaign 6 I feel I am facing swarms of Tyranids instead of Krules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

Just as a warning... PCGamer's reviewer straight up hates AOS as a setting, so expect weird bias against the game :| extremely effing disappointing how much people still aren't over End Times.

Yeah I'm never reading another PCGamer review if this is their seal of quality. His review was a joke flecked with massive prejudice against the setting. I'll bet my salary that the dude knows zero-to-nothing about AoS. Why the hell would you give the AoS game to someone who vehemently hates AoS? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

Yeah I'm never reading another PCGamer review if this is their seal of quality. His review was a joke flecked with massive prejudice against the setting. I'll bet my salary that the dude knows zero-to-nothing about AoS. Why the hell would you give the AoS game to someone who vehemently hates AoS? 

This is also happening with some Spanish reviews... we still have the stigma...

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

This is also happening with some Spanish reviews... we still have the stigma...

Really? I'm following a few of them and, even if they don't know anything about AoS, they seems to like the game.

I engaged ElKai community (chat/discord) yesterday, and to my surprise, they are cool dudes. Of course we trashtalked a bit, but it was more about fun than bad blood.

Btw, my wife seems to enjoy the game (note: she is not a gamer). I'm in the middle of a few projects and I think that I will not touch it until a few weeks... /sadface.

4 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I play at max difficulty and prob would reduce it a bit. At campaign 6 I feel I am facing swarms of Tyranids instead of Krules.

Downgraded to medium dificulty and it has been a walk... so I migth go with hard  to see if it is a point where I feel challenged but not overloaded

Ok, my quick review:

World feels great for someone who knows AoS. Trees with mouthes that want to eat you in Ghur and all those details are nice.

Armys feel like i expected them to

The gameplay is still a little wonky and gets a bit stale after a few games. Also i miss the unit bar that shows all units even when not selected. Abilities are cool but are confusing to use...i retreated my units a few times by accident because the retreat button changes position depending on the amount of unit abilities.

Even tho i played a LOT of DoW2, and considering those games are similiar, i don't get the same rewarding feeling in RoR. 

The map is not as engaging as there is no cover mechanic. Only those 'mud' patches that slow units.

4 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

I haven't ever seen the retreat hotkey move off of R, are you using a mouse or controller?

I use mouse and I use the hotkeys.

BUT...as I don't know the ability hotkeys yet and was in the middle of a fight, needing to activate it I miss clicked. I selected the unit by number and clicked where I expected the ability to be...aaaand retreated by accident. Noticing the unit doesn't have the ability and instead the retreat button was exactly on that spot :/

9 minutes ago, Xil said:

I use mouse and I use the hotkeys.

BUT...as I don't know the ability hotkeys yet and was in the middle of a fight, needing to activate it I miss clicked. I selected the unit by number and clicked where I expected the ability to be...aaaand retreated by accident. Noticing the unit doesn't have the ability and instead the retreat button was exactly on that spot :/

I have to say that this happened to me three times or so (but pressing R by error). And the fact that you cannot cancel it is annoying xD

24 minutes ago, Xil said:

Ahh okay, wanted to make sure it didn't need to be a bug report. I've taken to the hotkeys pretty well, as you're able to actually turn on a text notification in the settings. It should put the hotkey letter on every button that uses one!

So far so good, went from 8/10 to 9/10 on Steam this morning, went up to 86% and then dropped a little and is holding at 82% Very Positive with a lot of thumbs ups. If that stays we’re golden. :D

IMG_1617.png?ex=656a881f&is=6558131f&hm=

Love the prizes they keep putting out.

Also Arby’s which is hilariously awesome.

Also also, nice that YouTubers playing it seem pretty positive like Angry Joe gave it a nice recommendation.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

So far so good, went from 8/10 to 9/10 on Steam this morning, went up to 86% and then dropped a little and is holding at 82% Very Positive with a lot of thumbs ups. If that stays we’re golden. :D

IMG_1617.png?ex=656a881f&is=6558131f&hm=

Love the prizes they keep putting out.

Also Arby’s which is hilariously awesome.

Also also, nice that YouTubers playing it seem pretty positive like Angry Joe gave it a nice recommendation.

Crinkle fries confirmed to be chaos tainted. What are the lore implications of this?

• Haha 4

I've finished the campaign. I gotta say it is quite plain history whise. I could even agree with some of the negative side reviews (even if they didn't play that far). The last battle is intense, even in lower difficulties, but the end of the plot is interesting. Leaves you a good taste once you finish the game. They did a nice work there.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

I've finished the campaign. I gotta say it quite plain history whise. I could even agree with some of the negative side reviews (even if they didn't play that far). The last battle is intense, even in lower difficulties, but the end of the plot is interesting. Leaves you a good taste once you finish the game. They did a work there.

I love the cutscenes and character models. The voice actors you can tell are professionals and are really good, and just the way the Orruks for example move and their facial expressions is wonderful. I'm loving seeing the world of AoS in motion.

• Like 4