Age of Sigmar Black Library recommendations

First of all, I did have a quick look for a section or topic like this but couldn’t find any, but might’ve missed something. 

I would like to read more Age of Sigmar books, I’ve read quite a bit of 40k stuff but I tend to stick to certain authors, who haven’t really touched AoS. The only AoS book I have read I think is The Court of the Blind King, which I thought was pretty decent! A lot of AoS stuff seems to be newer and ‘smaller’ authors who I don’t have any experience with. I find in practice, I don’t have a great handle on the mortal realms as a setting, what they’re like to live in, the different characters of the factions, etc  just a very high level idea of the setting as a whole, from the models and the odd battletome I have  

Does anyone have any recommendations of AoS books they really enjoyed? Bonus points if they’re fairly available physically (which probably doesn’t actually leave many, with Black Library being as they are) as I tend to struggle with Ebooks, but recommend anyway as I might be able to get them second hand or something! Thanks!

It is old so probably digital only unless you get it second hand, but Call of Archaeon was really great for stories from a diverse set of Chaos perspectives.

I've read almost all the novels, but some that stand out to me are Legends: Pestilens, Mother of Monsters, Scourge of Fate, and anything by Josh Reynolds.

• Like 2

Anything by Josh Reynolds as said above.

Soul wars is quite sublime.

scourge of fate is ok.

Rise of Khul is a cracker, a real pity josh left gw before writing the next one.

Stay away from Godeaters Son, the only reason I finished it was because I’d paid for it but in truth it was like pulling teeth but more painful.

4 hours ago, Chikout said:

This one's actually by Gav Thorpe. Unfortunately gw decided not to continue the series.

sorry, yes you're right. 

it's a good read and I was looking forward to seeing how the characters evolved into what they became  - the Khorne Protagonists of the original AoS starter box.

The standout character for me was the guy who will eventually become the bloodsecrator model.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 10:19 AM, Still-young said:

Does anyone have any recommendations of AoS books they really enjoyed? Bonus points if they’re fairly available physically (which probably doesn’t actually leave many, with Black Library being as they are) as I tend to struggle with Ebooks, but recommend anyway as I might be able to get them second hand or something! Thanks!

I've got the following:

Scourge of Fate - Robbie MacNiven

Warcry Catacombs - Richard Strachen

Oaths and Conquests - various

The red Feast - Gav Thorpe

Godeater's Son - Noah Van Nguyen

If you're in the UK, pm me your address and sort out the postage and you can have the lot.

I'm about to throw out all my old second edition battletomes and generals handbooks so you might as well have the novels. :)

The new Gotrek novels are very good. They're written from the perspective of Gotrek waking up in the mortal realms and knowing nothing about them. So as the stories progress he is introduced to the various factions and realms, so you learn about the setting along with him. I found as someone new to AoS they were both great stories and really useful to get a background on the setting too.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Anything by Josh Reynolds

Richard Strachan is also pretty decent. If you want something a bit more like Fehervari does in 40K, check out Jake Ozga - absolutely amazing stuff. Horror imprint has also nice AoS stuff (Dark Harvest, Castle of Blood)

And, Godeater's Son, one of the best Chaos books out there.

11 hours ago, Candlelight said:

Anything by Josh Reynolds

Richard Strachan is also pretty decent. If you want something a bit more like Fehervari does in 40K, check out Jake Ozga - absolutely amazing stuff. Horror imprint has also nice AoS stuff (Dark Harvest, Castle of Blood)

And, Godeater's Son, one of the best Chaos books out there.

Can double up on Black Harvest. I love me some spooky Sylvaneth and existential religious dread, and Black Harvest delivers in spades. The prose is good and the fight scenes are entertaining and character-driven.

• Like 1