1 hour ago, Asbestress said:

Apart from the Celestar Ballista I don't think we've had a modern GW artillery kit with separately based crew. Imo cannon will probably look like the Field Ordnance Battery.

99120105104_AMFieldOrdnanceBattery01.jpg

I'm hoping for something like this. Also, secretly hoping the base is big enough to fit two Helstorms on there for proxying. Otherwise, those models will probably become scatter terrain for me.

i am VERY MUCH hoping this is not the last of the guns we've seen. these models look amazing!!!!!! but my brain is still going "this feels backwards from WHF" :(

like as a full aesthetic everything we've seen so far fits extremely well together and stakes its own identity outside of old world Empire. I really cannot wait to see the religious warrior and artillery side.

19 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

i am VERY MUCH hoping this is not the last of the guns we've seen. these models look amazing!!!!!! but my brain is still going "this feels backwards from WHF" :(

like as a full aesthetic everything we've seen so far fits extremely well together and stakes its own identity outside of old world Empire. I really cannot wait to see the religious warrior and artillery side.

Maybe it helps to think of these guys as just one unit with a specialized role within the faction? Other newer models like the Ven Densts or Hexbane's Hunters still have more slender handguns and repeater pistols.

4 hours ago, Freemeta said:

i still dream about Aelf using gunpowder weapons. showing intercultural exchanges etc.

I love the new models shown today. But I also hope we get some more regular gunners, equivalent to the current handgunners. I have a plan to get a box of Darkshards and equip them with the leftover guns from my crossbowmen. Just hoping they'll be proxyable as something in the new tome.

Edit: and ironically my current Freeguild Crossbowmen will end up being used as proxies for Darkshards (assuming Darkshards survive)

Edited by EntMan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Maybe it helps to think of these guys as just one unit with a specialized role within the faction? Other newer models like the Ven Densts or Hexbane's Hunters still have more slender handguns and repeater pistols.

yeah I keep forgetting that at least some of the older kits are staying, which could mean line archers like Darkshards and Sisters will be backing these gunners up. Hopefully at some point there'll be more gunners and archers to throw alongside the pavises.

I do wonder if we will gets hints of what they plan on doing in 4th ed. Like will they allow us to attach heroes to the units? Or if magic will be put into the units with the plan to remove the magic phase. Know some of the new Stormcast has a bit of a hint they were going in that direction.

Edited by RyantheFett
  • Like 1

I love the new Freeguild aesthetic, but the maximalist look is kind of intimidating. After having the experience of only barely finishing a Hurricanum because of all the detail overload, I think it will be important to approach this new release with a painting plan.

I think the good news, however, is that those new models don't need to be painted super clean and look like you can approach them with speed painting techniques. Still, I worry that it will too much for some people going for a box art look.

• Like 2

It's funny, but when I see the details on these I think they will be easier to paint. I find large flat panels of armor to be frustrating, as getting a smooth finish is a pain. These shields sprayed with lead belcher, the wood panel painted the main colour, wash and light dray brush and they will look good. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hollow said:

It's funny, but when I see the details on these I think they will be easier to paint. I find large flat panels of armor to be frustrating, as getting a smooth finish is a pain. These shields sprayed with lead belcher, the wood panel painted the main colour, wash and light dray brush and they will look good. 

The biggest "problem" with the new models I see is the use of a lot of mixed materials. The official paint job does not help things by insisting on three different metals (wrought iron decorations, golden central element, steel chains on the bottom) on the shields. However, I think with all the texture these models should take to pre-shading very well. From there it's just a matter of setting realistic painting goals and not going all out on 100 point battleline units. Still easier than Lumineth, IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

honestly I could see this new RE as one of the Shyish Cities with how maximalist things have been

RumourEngine Jul11 Content

could be fun, but i prefer to have access to a night haunt coalition (dead heroes rising again as stormcast and ghost heroes from Hallost).

• LOVE IT! 1

16 hours ago, Freemeta said:

could be fun, but i prefer to have access to a night haunt coalition (dead heroes rising again as stormcast and ghost heroes from Hallost).

Would be cool, I'd also love to run some Deathrattle skeletons alongside the Freeguild. But we probably won't see cross-GA coalition.

Lethis is one of the new cities. I suspect they will get an Idoneth coaltion, though, if anything.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hollow said:

I love the box and really like the fact that it comes with a chunk of good old infantry! The core of my new CoS army will be infantry so I am happy. 

I get that. I am always super drawn towards infantry heavy armies as well. But I also know that there is a pretty big gap between my enthusiasm for having an infantery army and for painting it. So I have to pace myself, haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1