What happened to the Painting Guides?

Ferban

So, in AoS 2.0, all of the models came with an instruction booklet (of course).  But on the back of the booklet, there was always a nice color picture of the model and a list of what paints were used on which parts.  It didn't discuss all the details, but it gave you sort of a rough idea of how to create the same look.  And, for me, I used it as a jumping off point when painting.  I don't like to follow it exactly, but it often gave me a starting base from which to go.  

But with the 3.0 models in the red boxes, they've stopped doing that.  Instead, they just have a link to the citadelcolour.com/guides.  But when you go there, there isn't a guide for every model.  It's essentially just what they've put up on youtube over the years.  So now, when I buy a new model, I don't get that guide.  

Luckily, I'm far enough into the hobby that it isn't as big a deal as it was when I first started painting.  But did they ever announce why they stopped providing that info?  It seems like good info and definitely promotes their paint line.  So I'm not sure why they'd stop.  

• Sad 5

On 3/25/2022 at 3:45 PM, Ferban said:

So, in AoS 2.0, all of the models came with an instruction booklet (of course).  But on the back of the booklet, there was always a nice color picture of the model and a list of what paints were used on which parts.  It didn't discuss all the details, but it gave you sort of a rough idea of how to create the same look.  And, for me, I used it as a jumping off point when painting.  I don't like to follow it exactly, but it often gave me a starting base from which to go.  

But with the 3.0 models in the red boxes, they've stopped doing that.  Instead, they just have a link to the citadelcolour.com/guides.  But when you go there, there isn't a guide for every model.  It's essentially just what they've put up on youtube over the years.  So now, when I buy a new model, I don't get that guide.  

Luckily, I'm far enough into the hobby that it isn't as big a deal as it was when I first started painting.  But did they ever announce why they stopped providing that info?  It seems like good info and definitely promotes their paint line.  So I'm not sure why they'd stop.  

It wasn't announced but the writing was largely on the wall.  In the last big survey GW did they asked the question "do you find the painting guide on the back of boxes/instructions useful" or something along those lines and the general social media consensus was most people just didn't use them.  The painting guide in battletomes are actually pretty decent now, plus you've White Dwarf and GW's YouTube channel.  The citadel colour site (and app) does need a bit of love in truth as I don't think it really adds anything you can't get from elsewhere.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

Indeed I hope the Battletome painting tips stay. Painting is a core part of the hobby and I think deserves at least a few pages. I found the ones in the Ogor Mawtribes and Cities of Sigmar book really helpful.

You certainly had them in the Soublight book - and equally the quality of the Mawtribes one in my view.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

I noticed that current 40K codices also don't have painting guides in them anymore.

I sincerely hope that trend won't become true for AOS. 

I don’t think that will happen as different audience compared to 40K. I think the general feedback is people like the pages showing little tips in AOS. 

2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

It wasn't announced but the writing was largely on the wall.  In the last big survey GW did they asked the question "do you find the painting guide on the back of boxes/instructions useful" or something along those lines and the general social media consensus was most people just didn't use them.  The painting guide in battletomes are actually pretty decent now, plus you've White Dwarf and GW's YouTube channel.  The citadel colour site (and app) does need a bit of love in truth as I don't think it really adds anything you can't get from elsewhere.

I think this is an interesting point to bring up - at the moment I don't use the painting guides on the back of the box, so I would have probably answered with "no, I don't find them useful".

However, when starting the hobby, I did use them a lot - it might just be that newer players who do find the back painting instructions useful weren't into the game enough to know about the poll. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I don’t think that will happen as different audience compared to 40K. I think the general feedback is people like the pages showing little tips in AOS. 

Considering the paint job is the major difference between shades of space marine, I would think said paint job would be important to them.

Also, this pushes Citadel paints, which fits the "we have everything you need for your hobby" narrative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Considering the paint job is the major difference between shades of space marine, I would think said paint job would be important to them.

It’s all Harlequins at the moment and pinks and purples seem to be the colour 😭

15 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

I am also sad to see the painting advice on the boxes go. I recall the ones on the night haunt boxes were helpful. It's a little bit of encouragement to the purchaser to get in there and give painting a go. 

Totally agree but again it’s what people have said they don’t like. I don’t think it will go from books and white dwarf for AOS. Hopefully we will continue to see stuff on YouTube which I always thinks helps as you can see the model being painted 

I used to look at the painting guides on the boxes at least once before throwing it away. Just in case i get inspired by something on it.

But to be honest i am not going to miss those guides. The "guide" that i do use is the paint store on the GW site. Its easier to browse through if i try to look for a different texture or shade i need at the moment. Took me a while to find these as it is kinda hidden for some weird reason.

image.png.10bc07ef15b20f5c8f6935259c24ced1.png

image.png.88adc6d313c2201828f5b716ee3b9d9b.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greyshadow said:

I am also sad to see the painting advice on the boxes go. I recall the ones on the night haunt boxes were helpful. It's a little bit of encouragement to the purchaser to get in there and give painting a go. 

My biggest gripe was always when they listed 4 paints, none of which were used on the model being shown 😂  The back almost needed a "parade ready" model with the actual paints used on that rather than a 'Eavy Metal model

• Like 5

Yes, the box guides were very basic. I find the citadel app, which is the same as the website I think, to be much more useful too. The paint by model guides are also helpful but they clearly aren’t the method used to achieve the displayed ‘Eavy Metal painted models shown which is a little annoying.

On 3/28/2022 at 1:22 AM, Maddpainting said:

Most likely under utilized and a waste of time as well as they can add more videos to Warhammer+ to help sell that app.

a video painting guide is also more useful than a single page with 4-6 images.  

This is in a sense arguing media between what GW did 30+ years ago and what they are doing now.  Way to much has changed to stay in the past.  

I would like them to move that information over to the Citadel Colour app, as in my eyes it was what rendered those back-of-the-box guides obsolete.

Fortunately I can confirm that the most recent battletomes, Idoneth & Fyreslayers, still have the full painting guides in them for each subfaction plus a good number of extra tips & bits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

a video painting guide is also more useful than a single page with 4-6 images.  

This is in a sense arguing media between what GW did 30+ years ago and what they are doing now.  Way to much has changed to stay in the past.  

Totally agree.  I much prefer video painting guides.  But GW doesn't have a video for every model.  So having suggested paints and schemes on the back of the box seems like a no-brainer.  

On 3/31/2022 at 9:58 AM, Ferban said:

Totally agree.  I much prefer video painting guides.  But GW doesn't have a video for every model.  So having suggested paints and schemes on the back of the box seems like a no-brainer.  

Okay sure I get that.  

Yeah it creates discussion and thought I suppose.  Access to more information is always better.  

• Like 2