AoS 3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Arzalyn

With the new gitz scrolls a few things are looking pretty juicy as allies.
Skragrott is of course great, +1 double wizard with a pretty good scroll spell and a free command every turn and is only 160 points.
I've been using spider riders as allied screens for a while now, and they're still an option. They got slightly better since units of 5 can now have banners and musicians.
Fungoids got much better for us too, since they traded in the 4+ ward to be unseeable outside 12" you can take them in grinnin blades without them asking to get blown off the table.
Snarlfangs are really tempting, their damage isn't fantastic but they're fast screens with utility which is something KB really want in a unit. 135 points is a bit awkward since 3 units are 405 points, and 1 unit + rippas + skragrott is also 405.
Lastly everyone is talking about fellwaters, and I can see why, but I'm not sure how well they fit into a kruleboyz army. You can hide them behind a screen and unleash hell, and try to use them to bump up the rend of stuff like boltboyz but I'm not sure how effective it is for kruleboyz because of our reliance of VEW.

I'm most looking forward to running some snarlfangs alongside my kruleboyz.

• Like 1

Im also intetested in running 2 dankholds (converted riderless mirebrutes of course). Its definitely a threat your opponent has to deal with all while taking the heat off the boyz. 

Fellwater are great and add a lot for us other than just puking and hiding BUT i refuse to use those models, refuse!!! Just friggin update them already!

I suppose the competitive choice for us is to simply play all Gitz 😆 but yeah agree with u guys. Quite happy the troggs are even a bit stronger now as I built a bit of a thematic force with a couple of breaka boss, marshcrawla and some trogg allies. not exactly the most competitive but quite fun hobby project!

• Haha 1

While it's generally best to have really good attacks or straight up mortal wounds, improving the efficacy of massed attacks that benefit from VEW can be very strong, because you don't only roll on the 6s (or 5s and 6s). Having the hits that aren't MWs matter more can be valuable. It isn't always--Gutrippaz probably aren't getting meaningful amounts of non MW attacks regardless due to 4+/4+ (or 4+/3+ with way less attacks), but for models with a 3+ or better to hit, it can be a real boon to make those lower hit rolls still valuable.

6 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Id be surprised if gutrippaz do not get -1 rend on the next update. 

I wouldnt be surprised either.

Mostly because what they NEED is better defenses, and what would make them not bad offensively is an extra attack.

Although putting a point of rend only on the hackas makes them a bit more balanced.

20 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

I wouldnt be surprised either.

Mostly because what they NEED is better defenses, and what would make them not bad offensively is an extra attack.

Although putting a point of rend only on the hackas makes them a bit more balanced.

Not wrong in either direction about what could help them best. I would love to see either of those changes (especially the defenses, like making the Skare Tactics just a general -1 to be hit instead of the convoluted tangle it is now.

What I worry we'll see more than useless rend is continuing points drops. Enough Wounds for cheap enough can be a real pain on the table. For Gloomspite, it's kind of their whole schtick, and horde armies are pretty limited by reinforcement points anyways. If Gutrippaz get too close to Stabba/Clanrat range in terms of wounds per point, that could tip the balance too far in the other direction (and would probably be better for Big Waaagh! than Kruleboyz to boot).

17 hours ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Not wrong in either direction about what could help them best. I would love to see either of those changes (especially the defenses, like making the Skare Tactics just a general -1 to be hit instead of the convoluted tangle it is now.

What I worry we'll see more than useless rend is continuing points drops. Enough Wounds for cheap enough can be a real pain on the table. For Gloomspite, it's kind of their whole schtick, and horde armies are pretty limited by reinforcement points anyways. If Gutrippaz get too close to Stabba/Clanrat range in terms of wounds per point, that could tip the balance too far in the other direction (and would probably be better for Big Waaagh! than Kruleboyz to boot).

at some point yes.. and also annoying if they later move to fix the scroll and move points up since at that point real money and time invested becomes wasted... 

however as things stand now, stabbas at 125 have basically just a superior scroll imo (working -1 hit, and the 9" objective grab thats a bit game breaking..) same wound count, move  and save, worse bravery tbf and a bit worse dmg output but its not like gutrippaz do any real dmg anyways.. max of 0 and 0 is still 0 😅

at least stabbas fill a clear role and no one will be sad to use them to fill a battleline slot..

7 hours ago, woolf said:

its not like gutrippaz do any real dmg anyways.. max of 0 and 0 is still 0 😅

This is why I'm an advocate of moving mortals on 6s from on hit to on wound. Thematically it makes more sense anyways. The mortals are from poison damage and not the skill of the warrior. And since this lowers the overall mortals caused give them -1rend to compensate. suddenly the sloggoth is also more useful as well. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

This why I'm an advocate of moving mortals on on 6s from on hit to on wound. Thematically it makes more sense anyways. The mortals are from poison damage and not the skill of the warrior. And since this lowers the overall mortals caused give them -1rend to compensate. suddenly the sloggoth is also more useful as well. 

fully agree, that's way more elegant

• Thanks 1

I think they pushed it further up in the chain because they wanted it to be part of the faction's identity. Like there's a bonesplitterz SUB faction that gets 6s to wound are mortals.

I don't think it's a bad idea necessarily but they need another allegiance trait to be their faction identity if you pull it down the attack sequence since right now it's essentially the one and only thing they have (despite it not even applying to the whole range). 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 8:35 PM, Vasshpit said:

Fellwater are great and add a lot for us other than just puking and hiding BUT i refuse to use those models, refuse!!! Just friggin update them already!

As a skaven and gitz player as well as somebdoy who has enjoyed the 8th edition of warhammer fantasy very much I can only say this.

fellwater troggoths look freaking awesome🤩.

they fit into the troggoth herd pretty well.

• Haha 1

Imho, Fellwaters are both too modern and too modulars to be redone before a long time. 

Which fits me, since I've got litteraly a dozen of them and fit them quite fitting beside my Hag and my stone troggoth 😁

I think they are clearly not a top one priority for troggoth, and that both their style and game play goes well with Kruleboyz. Swampy beasties with a little bit of shooting and the ability to throw a whole lot of dice are really nice. 

So i do want to bring some fellwater allies but as Ive stated im not a fan of the current models at all. So with staying in the Geedubs model range as to be legal (😒) I've come up with this. Its a mock up using FEC horrors. I actually really like it and will be going through with the project. I think this design fits in much better with the kruleboyz aesthetic. 

Just a mock up but whatcha think?

b4d4c5a7-546d-4006-9a3b-b5c02ef1d19d.png.6890fa46a9eaa07fb9cf7920713720f2.png

• Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 3:49 PM, NauticalSoup said:

I think they pushed it further up in the chain because they wanted it to be part of the faction's identity. Like there's a bonesplitterz SUB faction that gets 6s to wound are mortals.

I don't think it's a bad idea necessarily but they need another allegiance trait to be their faction identity if you pull it down the attack sequence since right now it's essentially the one and only thing they have (despite it not even applying to the whole range). 

good point and I at least would be 100% in favour of giving them some other allegience ability in addition, something with traps, ambush, trickery etc. then move the MW to wound while compensating with some rend so they still don't completely bounce off anything with a good save..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...