Using Dispossessed in AoS 3.0

Lord Krungharr

My friend just traded me a Gotrek with other stuff for a megagargant.  Looking forward to seeing what he can do/how long he can last.

I built the Gyrobomber rather than the Copter, but put the cool dragon mouth steam gun on front.  That way I can run it as either one.  Such an elaborate kit for a cheap 4-5 wound model!  Pretty good stuff for something from 2013 or so.  Guess that can be a sneaky threat.

Irondrakes I'll probably use in a unit of 20 to max out on the buff potential from the Runelord.

Hmmm, I think I'd have to recommend Living City to net them some outflank ability for mitigating their speed.  Even with the extra turn 1 moves and things from Tempest's Eye not sure that will get them far enough for the latter turns.

How bout something like this?

Got a little bit of rend in there, some aura buffs all around, some MW tossing is possible.  Pretty good saves here and there and I wouldn't expect much of a battleshock issue if the King is positioned well to be on his soapbox.

Dispossessed Living City 1K v1.JPG

Edited by Lord Krungharr

5 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

You know what the Dwarves really really need is that old Anvil of Doom.  I was just looking at a boxed model on eBay and reading the back.  Kinda like the Skaven Doombell, but more Dwarfly effects of course.  Can only imagine how cool a modern one would look!  

I could see the anvil if doom becoming some sort of a terrain features.

would be kind cool, if the dispossessed got one for that reason.

something that only a runelord is able to use

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 12:12 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

Hmmm, I think I'd have to recommend Living City to net them some outflank ability for mitigating their speed.  Even with the extra turn 1 moves and things from Tempest's Eye not sure that will get them far enough for the latter turns.

How bout something like this?

Got a little bit of rend in there, some aura buffs all around, some MW tossing is possible.  Pretty good saves here and there and I wouldn't expect much of a battleshock issue if the King is positioned well to be on his soapbox.

Dispossessed Living City 1K v1.JPG

Thanks! What about hammerers? Are they worth their cost?

3 minutes ago, Ciliegioinfiore said:

I personally would say yes.

with the buffs of a warden king, and the extra rend from a runelord, they can be pretty amazing.

Combine that with the curse prayer and you have yourself a units throwing out mortals on hits and wounding rolls of 6s.

they may be a bit slow, but considering tgat you’ll always have some iron-breakers to protect them, 10-20 of the elite kings guard can definitely be an interesting option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ciliegioinfiore said:

Hammerers don't see play for 3 reasons.

First, let's go over what they can do for you   They can actually be the highest damage melee unit in the cities.  Without any buffs, they can be a bit underwhelming, with a squad doing only 11.67 damage on average.  However, they can get +1 to hit, +1 attacks on a target, reroll 1's to wound, +1 rend, and mortals on 6's to hit in addition.  City specific can give them +1 to wound, or +1 attacks (again).

With the +1 to wound buff, you can get a squad of 10 of these guys up to a max of 35.3 damage.  Literally triple their base output.  More importantly, they can dish out an average of 22.5 to a 2+ save.  So why don't they get used?

First off, they are slow.  4" move means that even in tempest eye, they won't be able to get to the opponents territory till turn 3 at the earliest.  This means that they (massively) suffer from the gotten effect - your opponent just walks away from them if they don't want to engage.

Secondly, they are squishy.  10 wounds on a 4+, especially on such a dangerous hammer unit is really hard to justify.  If your opponent has any shooting, it is going to be trivial for them to shoot them off, and as a target they are asking for it - especially mortal wound shooting.

Third, they require a lot of buff pieces.  Longbeards for the reroll 1's to wound, a runelord or two for curse/+1 rend, a warden king for +1 attacks, a hurricanum or command point for +1 to hit, a spell for +1 to wound or +1 attacks.  These are a lot of disparate pieces that you have to pay points for and bring together to make this all happen, which means you are putting a LOT of points into making a package that struggles to get an engagement to function at it's max.

If they could reliably get to a target and kill it, they might be worth their points.  But being unable to reliably survive to get into range, and reliably choose their engagement, and needing so many support pieces to function, they tend not to make up their points.  Especially when you can just run irondrakes instead.

Edited by readercolin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guess the slowness is the problem with Dwarves in general.  That's why I'm definitely planning on some Fyreslayer allies to tunnel behind enemies, a Gyrocopter or two, and when running Tempests Eye, I imagine usually Ironclad full of Thunderers.  

Maybe a Luminark or Bless prayer would be good on Hammerers for a 6+ ward save.  And is there a way to get them cover on the move besides going through cover?

4 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Guess the slowness is the problem with Dwarves in general.  That's why I'm definitely planning on some Fyreslayer allies to tunnel behind enemies, a Gyrocopter or two, and when running Tempests Eye, I imagine usually Ironclad full of Thunderers.  

Maybe a Luminark or Bless prayer would be good on Hammerers for a 6+ ward save.  And is there a way to get them cover on the move besides going through cover?

In tempest eye, you have +1 save turn 1.  You can also mystic shield and all out defense.  After that... You are basically done with defensive buffs.

As for wards, bless and luminark are the only wards available in tempest eye.  However, you CAN run settlers gain if you aren't elf averse, and get access to protection of teclis for a 5+ ward.  Remember that his affects all friendlies, not just lumineth.  Whether teclis is worth running to get that is a completely separate story.

Edited by readercolin

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to have ALL THE DWARVES? 

I'm playing around with the idea of a Tempest Eye Cities list, all dwarves (Ironweld crew humies and Steamtank crew models replaced with dwarves) with Kharadron Overlords coalition and Fyreslayers allies.

Is there any work around to also include Gotrek? (from what I understand if I have the big G I can't also have Fyreslayers as allies)

(Not looking for comments on competitiveness, I know it probably won't be, but it could be FUN)

41 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Is there a way to have ALL THE DWARVES? 

I'm playing around with the idea of a Tempest Eye Cities list, all dwarves (Ironweld crew humies and Steamtank crew models replaced with dwarves) with Kharadron Overlords coalition and Fyreslayers allies.

Is there any work around to also include Gotrek? (from what I understand if I have the big G I can't also have Fyreslayers as allies)

(Not looking for comments on competitiveness, I know it probably won't be, but it could be FUN)

Well, having one of each unnamed Kharadron is already just under 2k dwarves, (with Brokk, Dagnai and Thundrik it goes over), so a 2k list with all the dwarves isn't possible. 2445

Fyreslayers are 2425 for one each (and way too many heroes)

Gotrek 425

Disposessed 725

Ironweld 235

I don't see a way under a 10k points army.

Edited by zilberfrid

5 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Well, having one of each unnamed Kharadron is already just under 2k dwarves, (with Brokk, Dagnai and Thundrik it goes over), so a 2k list with all the dwarves isn't possible.

I don't see a way under a 6k points army.

Sorry, should have said ALL THE (factions of the) DWARVES.

10 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I don't have the Kharadron book, but isn't Thryng the same?

Oh my bad, I was just thinking of it being in Cities of Sigmar allegiance for some reason; yes, Barak-Thryng is the way to go here (for the uninitiated, it allows Coalition Cities of Sigmar Duardin and Fyreslayers Duardin.) It would just mean you'd have to fill your Battleline slots with Kharadrons and not Dispossessed.

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 2

Just checked and according to the app Thryng can have both Fyreslayer and Cities coalition (but need the duadwarf keyword so no steam tanks, rockets or big gun) which then allows Gotrek to ally.

I think I'd rather go the Tempest eye route, to allow tanks and artillery and miss out on Fyreslayer-in-jeans.

Edit: beaten to it by Jaskier.

Edited by EntMan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I didn't know about the Thryng thing.  I learned (the hard way) about something for an Ironclad called The Last Word, and apparently an artefact that inhibits enemy charges too.  KO could be another interesting all dwarven force then to explore.  But in the mean time I'll give this a try when my Gyrocopters arrive:

TempestsEyewAirforcev1.JPG

Edited by Lord Krungharr

On 12/25/2021 at 12:16 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

You know what the Dwarves really really need is that old Anvil of Doom.  I was just looking at a boxed model on eBay and reading the back.  Kinda like the Skaven Doombell, but more Dwarfly effects of course.  Can only imagine how cool a modern one would look!  

I've got one and I'd really like to ally it in with my stormcast. I've got no idea though on what to use it as. And I've got the nagging feeling I came up with something at some point and forgot it 😂

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 4:35 PM, Fuxxx said:

I've got one and I'd really like to ally it in with my stormcast. I've got no idea though on what to use it as. And I've got the nagging feeling I came up with something at some point and forgot it 😂

If on the proper base it would make an excellent Duardin proxey for a Celestial Hurricanum.  Now that I write that, I may have to find one!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

If on the proper base it would make an excellent Duardin proxey for a Celestial Hurricanum.  Now that I write that, I may have to find one!

The anvil seems a bit small, but oh well it got wheels, the storm of shemtek might be the hammering of the runes and runes also explain the +1 to hit. At first I thought that the attack profile seems a bit weak for the guarding dwarves and the Smith but considering you gotta take the horses into account it checks out fine, both aren't meant for melee. I like the idea :)

• 2 weeks later...

Did a practice-learning game with my Dispossessed vs my new Bonesplitterz last night.  I went with Greywater Fastness but pretty much forgot to use anything from there.  Bonesplitterz were Icebone.  Mission: Apex Predators.  Realm: Purple Vortex Carpet Land

Dwarves: Warden King (general, Seat on the Council, Amulet of Destiny)/ Runelord (Curse)/ Runelord (Guidance)/ allied Runesmiter/ LordArcanum on Gryph/ 30 Longbeards w Great Axes/2x10 Irondrakes w torpedoes/10 allied Hearthguard Berzerkers w poleaxes/2 Fulminators/ 3 Gyrocopters.

Orruks: Savage Big Boss (general, Great Hunter for the extra pregame move)/ Wurgogg Prophet (Glowin' Tatooz)/ Wurgogg/ Wardokk/ Wardokk/ Maniak Weirdknob (Green Glowy Tusks)/ 2x10 Savage Orruks w stikkas/5 Boarboys w stikkas/10 Boarboy Maniaks/2x4 Big Stabbas/20 Arrowboys

Deployment

Deployment.jpg

Both armies had 2 Battle Regiments, but the Dwarves won the side choice and decided to go first to try to nab those objectives before the Orruks could.....but the Orruks moved up 8" before the game and had a big bunch of heroes near the center.

Tireless Trackers.jpg

The Lord-Arcanum and Fulminators had no trouble getting to that far objective and wiping out the 5 Boarboys.  Runesmiter and HGBs high-tailed it to their side objective trying to block the feeble priest with their hulking beard-saves.  The wall of Longbeards and Irondrakes and heroes marched quickly as they could to the center but could not charge because they ran for Ferocious Advance.  Probably shoulda tried to charge instead.  Gyrocopters flew up to do some hurt to the Maniaks and got rid of 3 of them (as I've never run cavalry before I gave myself a mulligan on their coherency, otherwise they would have lost 3 more from that!  Noob mistake).  Ferocious Advance achieved plus max objective points!  5 points total for dwarves.

End of Round 1.jpg

Then bottom of turn 1, things get ugly, or beautiful, depending on your species.  Savage Boss, 10 stikkaboys, and 4 Big Stabbas get Ferocious Advance.  General Wurgogg rolls a 1 to stare down the Warden King 😛  Maniaks get their Glowy Green Tusks and Mystic Shield, whilst a Wardokk gives +1 save to 10 stikkaboys who aim to charge the Fulminators as the Wardokk moves towards the Lord-Arcanum's objective.  Arrowboys went all out attack on the Longbeards for 2 dead Longbeards.  Maniaks charge the Longbeards=12 dead Longbeards and in return 3 dead Maniaks (as the Longbeards had the Rend-2 prayer on them AND the Ancestral Shield  6+ ward save).   Stikkaboys charge and kill exactly 1 Fulminator BUT I gave the Dwarves a mulligan here as I noticed the Lord-Arcanum has something called Cycle of the Storm, which negates a wound/MW that would kill a Stormcast model nearby.  5 dead stikkaboys I think after that.  Orruks at 3 points as a Wurgogg stepped a bit to capture the center objective, and they got Ferocious Advance.

Big Scrum Turn 2-3.jpg

Orruks get Turn 2 Priority!  1 Wurgogg whiffs his mask again, but the other manages to stare at the Longbeards long enough to wipe them out!  Arrowboys move towards the Lord-Arcanum, all out attack and DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Maniaks charge some Irondrakes, and get hell unleashed upon their faces, and 2 dead Maniaks.  However the Savage Big Boss and Big Stabbas charge the HGBs, the big boss piles in 3" to nail the Runesmiter dead with his mighty Gorktoof axe, and then the Stabbas immediately get to attack the HGBs for 4 dead there.  But then the HGBs strike back and kill a couple Big STabbas AND the Savage Boss.  Big Stabbas fail to kill any Duardin heroes in the center.  So 2 points for Broken Ranks, plus 1 point for the center objective.  Total of 6 for the Orruks now.

Arrowboys have a target.jpg

Then the Warden King fails to generate CPs twice, decides to stand on his Oathstone.  But a Runelord does Guidance for a CP, the other gives some Drakes a 6++.  Lord-Arcanum casts Healing LIght on the Fulminators on a 10......but the Wardokk says Mork sez NO and rolls a natural 11!  No Healing Light.  So he rides the aetheric winds over to the objective by the HGBs, but fails the charge so he doesn't capture that objective.  Irondrakes kill off the Maniaks and a unit of Big Stabbas,  HGBs fail to do any MW to the remaining Stabbas and they lived.  The Wardokk actually kills a Fulminator before dieing himself WOOT!   0 points as they failed to Conquer, and no objective points.  still 5 points for Dwarves.

Turn 3 Orruks go first again.  Dwarves burn the center objective.  Wurgogg gets Slay The Warlord with a good healthy staredown!  Sorry Warden King.  Maniak Weirdknob retreats cuz he's fast to go over towards the Fulminator's objective.  Arrowboys shoot and charge that Fulminator to finish him off.  HGBs kill the Stabbas.  So 2 points for the Slay the Warlord but no objective points.  8 points for Orruks total.

Turn 3.jpg

The Gyrocopters retreated and zipped deep into enemy territory to achieve Savage Spearhead, but no objective points are gotten.  So 7 total for Dwarves

After Bottom of Turn 3.jpg

Turn 4 I just went fast mode and rolled for Priority, Dwarves got it!  So the last Runelord with a CP run could have gotten the objective point but not achieved any other Battle Tactics, so figure another Dwarf point for 8 total.  Plus Hold the Line for 11.

The Maniak Weirdknob would get the other far objective and the center heroes probably could have nabbed Savage Spearhead themselves for another 3, so figure 11 total for the Orruks.  Plus Prized Sorcerery for 14.

Close HARD game, staving off brainfog by learning 2 armies at once.   Good stuff!  Orruks get dibs on next painted units. (plus they're primed and the Dwarves are not yet, it's winter).

Edited by Lord Krungharr
  • Like 1