Elementals - Destruction

Gitzdee

Hi all. I'm not that deep into AoS lore but i have a question about elementals/ titans. Do they exist in AoS and if they do do they have a purpose or allegiance? I would like if they have an army of elementals/titans joining destruction. I think it would be a great fit. But maybe most elements are claimed by other armies like Sylvaneth, Fyreslayers or Deepkin. do you think there is space for an army like this? 

I’d go a step further. Want an ultimate destruction elemental faction? How about a “void” faction. One that believes the old world is dead, the current broken reals of AOS are a pale shadow of the original, with souls eternally being recycled by the memories of selfish gods, and only by letting this new AOS world be utterly destroyed, can the souls of the dead pass on to the “true” afterlife. 

So now you have mortals, cultists perhaps?, worshipping total oblivion. Make them high magic, give them raw elemental energy constructs as monsters, and flesh out the entire Oblivion cult and religion. They don’t want to just kill you, but to erase you from existence. That’s something even Chaos would fear. Imagine if they could destroy souls? Sigmar, the aelves, chaos, and Nagash would all have something to fear now, that’s for sure. And I could see a lot of mortals of all races joining up. “Want a better world? Join the Oblivion cult, and stop those pesky gods from stealing your soul and keeping you from paradise!”

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 3

1 hour ago, Gothmaug said:

I’d go a step further. Want an ultimate destruction elemental faction? How about a “void” faction. One that believes the old world is dead, the current broken reals of AOS are a pale shadow of the original, with souls eternally being recycled by the memories of selfish gods, and only by letting this new AOS world be utterly destroyed, can the souls of the dead pass on to the “true” afterlife. 

So now you have mortals, cultists perhaps?, worshipping total oblivion. Make them high magic, give them raw elemental energy constructs as monsters, and flesh out the entire Oblivion cult and religion. They don’t want to just kill you, but to erase you from existence. That’s something even Chaos would fear. Imagine if they could destroy souls? Sigmar, the aelves, chaos, and Nagash would all have something to fear now, that’s for sure. And I could see a lot of mortals of all races joining up. “Want a better world? Join the Oblivion cult, and stop those pesky gods from stealing your soul and keeping you from paradise!”

Isnt that kind of what chaos is in a way and what they did to the old world?

I was more thinking about forces of nature that dont care for anything and are just pure destruction. Like hurricanes or earthquakes.

I wasn't around for the old world, so that could be the case.  All I've seen is the current AoS Chaos, who seems all about gathering the remaining souls of the mortal realms. Seems like they're the currency to fight over, as Order and Death want them too. Destruction just seems happy to break stuff. I'd love to see a destruction faction who wasn't just a variation of "I run up and punch it".  

Anyhow, random forces of destruction, are just that, random. You need some type of organization to control and point those forces. There isn't much pout there that's pure elemental type monsters, so there's definitely some design space available for such a force. You'd need some faction behind it all though, steering those engines of destruction. Frankly I could see a branch of the Sylvaneth summoning elementals as some sort of Endless Spell that mimics a Monster. 

The problem with Destruction as a faction, is its kinda boring. Destruction for destructions sake if fine for one army, but we already have Orruks, Grots, Giants, and Ogres all singing slightly different versions of that same tune. As its been pointed out before, the 4 Grand Alliances  need to be retired to open up more design space for the game. 

15 hours ago, Gothmaug said:

How about a “void” faction

WotC did this theme cranked up to 11/10 on awesome cale with Eldrazi in Magic. Some mix of Eldritch Horror and stuff. Actually having Eldrazi as a AoS Faction would be friggin' nice and a better Crossover than Space Marines for Magic.  bf21645ba4d143aef53ad63f4a29220339693d99c4rd4r7_UVElC2YyiL.jpgifwI18eqKOgl_RR7PJaVWFUfKELxIZpdmZjr7yUwd7b3bd0666b4f5e76b40354780945dc8.jpgEldrazi-Art-for-Eldrazi.jpg

Edited by Charleston
Edit: Added images, corrected a typo
  • Like 1

I think that Kragnos hints at a form of animistic faith for destruction centring around the concept of natural disaster. 

Currently we have the God of Earthquakes but also the concepts of the Bad Moon, and the Everwinter. Currently these are both presented as part of the worship of GorkaMorka, but I think they can be expanded to include members of a new pantheon built around Primordial God-Beasts. Each of these God-Beasts may have encountered the Dual God(s) and taken some degree of divine power from that encounter. In essence I would love to see fantastical interpretations of natural disasters as embodied bestial gods. I would also hope that each Destruction book would feature a new Godbeast that can be used by each army but has significance to the specific tome they are featured in. Like how Kruelboyz worship Kragnos, or how the Gloomspite worship cosmological occurrences, and Beastclaw Raiders are tied to the Everwinter/Blizzards.

Obviously we have many named Godbeasts as potential 'Gods' of destruction. Boingob, The Great Spider God, Shattatusk, and Vulcatrix could all make great options. Due to the massive size of these creatures it might be a requirement to explain that they have avatars, descendants or reincarnations that are more appropriately sized to be represented after the Era of Myth. 

Personally I would have the Spiderfang belief be partially true and a massive spider god to hatch on the Badmoon that can descend like a meteor onto the battlefield like a disturbing arachnid Celestant Prime. The ever winter could be the breath of a massive mammoth or an ancient ancestor to the yetis. No matter the case, I think that Destruction could have some really fun options for massive Godbeasts to counter the Gods of other factions.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

It's a little unfortunate that Destruction and Chaos kind of have their themes switched in AoS. Destruction really does not seem especially concerned with destroying stuff, but rather seems to be defined in opposition to the orderly structures of civilization. Meanwhile, Chaos is actually very hierarchical and not very chaotic at all, but is intent on the destruction of the Mortal Realms. The Chaos gods are really just evil gods, but due to historical reasons they are called Chaos, because order vs. chaos was a theme popularized by Michael Moorcock at the time of the inception of DnD (which originally only had lawful/chaotic as alignments) and Warhammer (which copied from DnD, since GW originally started as a company that distributed DnD in europe and made models for the game).

I think this makes it difficult to say what Grand Alliance a new faction would belong in. A void faction that wants the wholesale destruction of the mortal realms should probably go into Destruction going by the name, but does not really fit in there going by the theme of rejecting civilization. An Elemental faction does not have a lot to do with Orruks or Ogors, but at the same time if it's supposed to be a manifestation of the magic of the realms, it does not really belong into Chaos either.

On 10/25/2021 at 4:09 PM, Gothmaug said:

Thank you for some new inspiration! This is such an amazing idea mate. I came into this thread for Elementals as I plan on making a big Storm Elemental for a Mega Gargant proxy, using the giant teeth endless spell as the head, but I also love anything eldritch horror and especially the Void and Cult from Warcraft. This sounds like a really fun idea to do!

10 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

We used to have them back in the day, you used to be able to summon them.

Would sir be interested in the bottom row?

And don't forget Forgeworld and it's incarnate elemental  models it used to do.

image.png.a4a0d20ecbb75a91a9cc97dd1a7075a1.png

What time are these guys from? They kinda look like they are pre-Warhammer, when GW was still making DnD minis. Or are they from one of the earliest editions?

4 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

What time are these guys from? They kinda look like they are pre-Warhammer, when GW was still making DnD minis. Or are they from one of the earliest editions?

citadel compendium 3, 1984 so warhammer was in its second edition.  A wizard could summon an elemental as a battle magic spell.

Citadel was still making generic D&D miniatures as well at that time, and white dwarf was a magazine with scenarios for D&D, call of Cthulhu and other rpg's as back then Dragon magazine wasn't readily available outside of the TSR rep and game shops.

Yes, I did buy all four of them and I did have that first and second edition - granted I bought the first edition because the box art was just beyond cool and never bettered.

It was quite a pleasant surprise when I realised the game was really good as well xD

Edited by Kaleb Daark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

We used to have them back in the day, you used to be able to summon them.

Would sir be interested in the bottom row?

And don't forget Forgeworld and it's incarnate elemental  models it used to do.

image.png.a4a0d20ecbb75a91a9cc97dd1a7075a1.png

Stuff of Legends has them painted: http://www.sodemons.com/rhelementals/index.htm

431A3638x-02.jpg.adc8bd99608aa08f8751dadc7bc04597.jpgL07A8406x-02.jpg.e3cc7119355ed4a24cfbdb2068dff189.jpg

It's shame FW only managed to get around to two of the Incarnate Elementals and neither are available now. I have the Beasts one half painted somewhere. I think I need to dig it out and finish it off...

Edited by SunStorm
  • Like 1

Every time I see the Rogue Idol, I keep imagining a Elemental army.

As Warclans grow, more Waagghhh Energy is generated. Eventually that energy will disperse into the landscape.

The lands will become so saturated that they transform into living Mountains and trees but instead of having the sentience of the Sylvanerh, they behave in the bestial nature of Ghur and the Waaagghhh!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think this is far future of elite Bonesplitterz units/ shamans mount / endless spells or something else since everything around them kinda getting slightly alive and unstable . Just have to wait untill GW will re release them in the next 10 years.

The Splinterfoot warclan of the Jade Kingdoms worship Big Leef, an enormous tree beast infused with the raging essence of Gorkamorka, and they travel vast distances through the wildwoods in pursuit of this mythical being.

BRLVACs.png

• Like 2