AoS 3.0 - Ogor Mawtribes Discussion

Charleston

Equivalent durability is easy to ballpark. For every save, look at the proportion of wounds which get through - for a 5+ save, four out of six are unsaved. We can express 4/6 as a fraction, and simplify it to 2/3 if you prefer. Then just invert the fraction - 6/4, or 3/2 - and multiply it by the number of wounds. You can repeat this process for additional saves, such as wards. This doesn't take Rend into account, but you can just repeat the process with different save values to get an idea of how Rend affects the outcome. The final result is the amount of damage that it takes, on average, to remove the unit.

Rend 0:
Leadbelchers: 32 x 3/2 = 48.0
SHBR: 12 x 2/1 x 3/2 = 36.0

Rend 1:
Leadbelchers: 32 x 6/5 = 38.4
SHBR: 12 x 3/2 x 3/2 = 27.0

Rend 2:
Leadbelchers: 32 x 1 = 32.0
SHBR: 12 x 6/5 x 3/2 = 21.6

So the simple answer is no, a Stonehorn's 12 wounds will not (on average) hold out as long as 32 Leadbelcher wounds, even though it's much better defended. There are a lot of other factors in that choice, though!

• Thanks 2

So, this isn't some informative post or anything; but the more I play this army, the more I enjoy it. I haven't liked an army like this since my Khorne. It just feels good to play. On top of that, the conversion potential is high. I'm loving having my ogres cosplay as other units. I can't finish them until I get more green stuff, but I currently have a spiderfang, lumineth, empire, and bonesplitter leadbelchers and I just enjoy seeing them. At someone's suggestion I also made my stonehorn a Unicorn. XD (I'm also looking forward to making giants counting as ironblasters.)

So, yeah. I like this army. I even enjoy using the meh units. I feel like I have an answer for almost anything. It's a good place to be in. Joy has been expressed. Mission accomplished.

Enjoy the new year everyone!

• Like 3

Trying to help a friend brainstorm an army - has anyone thought to try lots of Gorgers with Kragnos? Basically just relying on Ambush deployment and the 3D6 charges (natively rerolled) to crash in for as many mortals as possible? MSU Ogors sounds odd to me, but for only 80 points they seem good enough to mass and crash. Good chance there's not enough available points to make it worthwhile though. 

Also I'm not 100% on how the mortal-wounds-on-charge allegiance ability works, they are locked into the 6+ roll without a way to improve it right? 

Thoughts?

Edited by Freejack02

5 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

Trying to help a friend brainstorm an army - has anyone thought to try lots of Gorgers with Kragnos? Basically just relying on Ambush deployment and the 3D6 charges (natively rerolled) to crash in for as many mortals as possible? MSU Ogors sounds odd to me, but for only 80 points they seem good enough to mass and crash. Good chance there's not enough available points to make it worthwhile though. 

Also I'm not 100% on how the mortal-wounds-on-charge allegiance ability works, they are locked into the 6+ roll without a way to improve it right? 

Thoughts?

The main issue I see is if everything is in reserve kragnos has a pretty big target on his chest, and if he dies to a 1 drop alpha the list falls apart. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

So, it will always be a 6+ for the mortal wounds unless it has the MONSTER keyword, more than ... 6? models, or has the RHINOX keyword and is affected by a spell. Gorgers can only be in units of up to 2, so there's no buffing their impact hits (or whatever it's called nowadays). 

As an example, let's say that a gorger is charging buffed by Kraggy. He rolls 3d6 for the charge and gets an 11. He decides to keep that roll instead of re-rolling it. He then rolls 11 d6 and inflicts a mortal wound on the selected enemy unit within 1 inch for every 6. We'll say that 3 mortals are done. Next, your opponent removes the casualties from the mortal wounds. They can do so to make the charge harder for your other units.

Lord Krungharr had thought of a list focused on using the 3d6 charge ability as much as possible with gorgers on the previous page. I don't think we've gotten any battle reports from any similar lists yet though.

I personally don't like taking named characters, so Papa K being useful hasn't changed my army at all. I'm also enjoying the frustrated look on the face of our legions of the first price player when I have no one unit that is so essential that stopping it will derail my army. XD (Yes, know my pain! *Maniacal laughter*) I'll see if any of this weekend's games are worth transcribing.

Have a happy new year y'all!

Edited by TheArborealWalrus
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Fiddybucks said:

The main issue I see is if everything is in reserve kragnos has a pretty big target on his chest, and if he dies to a 1 drop alpha the list falls apart. 

Yeah, probably keep a couple of them to at least semi-screen. It definitely gets out-dropped, so you'll never be deciding who goes first. Also for models that can survive being a target, Kragnos is pretty high up there. 

It just seems like if each Gorger could do 2-3 mortals on the charge it could be a surprising amount of damage (and that's whithout Kragnos even getting involved). Might be one of those things that looks like it would work only on paper though. 

On 12/23/2021 at 2:03 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Ooh wow, didn't see that part!  

Here's a stupid list to capitalize those 3D6 charges:

No Mawtribe/Dominating Presence/not sure about best Triumph for it yet.....

720  Kragnos

125  Icebrow Hunter (general, Winter Ranger)

165  Frost Sabres 3x2

960  Single Gorger x12

1970 Total

Only 4 cats and 9 Gorgers away from this stunning spoiler possibly destined to go 3 out of 5 or better at Adepticon 2022!

HAHA I was brainstorming a list and came up with this EXACT setup! Let me know if you ever play it (with someone who is cool with 9 proxies obviously). 

Edit: Also wow, this was not a new idea at all - I should have read the previous discussions! I'm used to the SCE thread where there's a hundred pages to catch up on...

Edited by Freejack02

Hi, I always was interested in starting an Ogor army so I just purchased what I felt was a cool army. It is definitely not the most competitive and is mostly used in casual play. Although I would like to hear your opinions as I'm not certain what subfaction and artefacts/traits to pick.

So this is my current list:

Tyrant (General)

Butcher

Firebelly

FLoSH

Gluttons

2x Leadbelcher

2x Ironguts

4 hours ago, HostilSpike said:

It's been so long since Gorlok Blackpowder and his crew were revealed that I completely forgot he existed. Did his rules get previewed at any point? 

Not yet but I am excited for when they do as the SC and KB models had some fantastic warscrolls when they finally got revealed. 

On 1/9/2022 at 3:32 AM, Bemo said:

I'm not certain what subfaction and artefacts/traits to pick

Welcome to the Warglut! I'm not going to claim to be that knowledgeable on this, but I see 2 factions useful to your gutbusters. Underguts would boost your leadbelchers' range, but the trait and artifact aren't great outside of a few niche scenarios. Bloodgullets would boost your butcher and give a good artifact to the frostlord. (I don't remember much about it, beyond it being pretty good.)  The beastclaw one that gives penalties to shooting attacks in your territory isn't bad either. Rather niche, but it's there. May we hear tales of your Tyrant's mighty conquests!

In the traditions of the Warglut, I present to you, The tale of Forlund Heartseeker. Newly raised to tyrant over the broken body of his dwarven pitmaster, he led his people in revolt against the mage lords who ruled the city. Drawn by the carnage, nighthaunt fell upon them, but their will was shattered with their master's body. Next, the warglut sought the mega fauna of Ghur, but they were not the only hunters. Squabbling mega gargants bumbled into their path and thought they had found easier prey. They were met with powder and blade where no giant left alive. (This sounded fun initially, but now I just want to go to bed.)

This is the kill count on the Tyrant so far: 1 daemon price, 1 mega gargant, 1 hydra, 4 goregruntas, 2 huricanums (1 with wizard), 2 foot wizards, Nurgle snail guy, 1 Nurgle herald, 1 knight of shrouds, and a bloodthirster. 5 of them were the enemy's general. I had planned to model trophies on him, but he immediately stopped that by killing a mega gargant in his 3rd game. XD Now I'm just going to have to make a totem adorned with his conquests. Maybe make a board of vengeance against those who have slain him too. Fortunately, he doesn't have many of those yet, but I feel the local meta shifting to try and kill my boy.  

They shall be found wanting.     >: I 

Happy new year folks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kazimer said:

What exactly? Its a biiiig pdf

He got a 6+ ward and makes nearby destruction units (including himself) charge 3d6 and can declare charges against things within 18".

Not sure if it makes him "good", 6+ ward only adds around 3 wounds to his bulk, but he's certainly a lot more interesting to play with now, as 3d6 charges are a pretty powerful tool, especially for mawtribes who get their ogor charge buffed by it.

1 minute ago, Ganigumo said:

He got a 6+ ward and makes nearby destruction units (including himself) charge 3d6 and can declare charges against things within 18".

Not sure if it makes him "good", 6+ ward only adds around 3 wounds to his bulk, but he's certainly a lot more interesting to play with now, as 3d6 charges are a pretty powerful tool, especially for mawtribes who get their ogor charge buffed by it.

Also counts as up to 30 models for objectives, which is massive when combined with the increased charge range. Just needs 1mm of base withing 6" of an objective to take it from almost any ay out there. 

He's still massively vulnerable to (non spell) mortal wound spam, but is definitely a viable option now.

Finally got a game in against the new nurgle and phew.

To put it into perspective as to how this game went - I charged 3 stonehorns into his great unclean one, one of which had metal cruncher. Not only did I not manage to kill the GUO but he killed a stonehorn for the efforts.

I think it was probably bad dice rolls but man you’d think if you throw 1300 points worth of army at a single model it would crumble.

Also side note, im starting to think im baiting myself into a bad play by calling for bring it down or slay the warlord. I feel like multiple times in my games recently uttering one of those two battle tactics nets me a finest hour. I almost feel like I should feint with a different battle tactic before going in on the kill. 

I will now be the one who knocks! Xp Ogre pirate ahoy!

Saturday Pre-orders – Fury of the Deep Joins a Salty Sea-Ogor and Aerial Aces - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

There's something about that monkey that amuses me. Not in love with the set, but it's fun.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:49 PM, Schauer said:

im starting to think im baiting myself into a bad play by calling for bring it down or slay the warlord.

It took me about 3-4 games before I figured that out too. It's a painful lesson. They're really only worth it against something with few wounds left or not a hero.  It's likely going to fail otherwise. I often roll poorly which is why I've been enjoying the trophy rack. Free all out attack against most army's heavy hitters. Makes the dracoth riders an extra pain though. :P Until I took it, I didn't realize how many armies' used monster heroes to do the damage. Even if I just snipe buff heroes with it, the rack pays its dues. (Helps that I like taking a tyrant XD) 

Stay safe out there everyone.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:49 PM, Schauer said:

Also side note, im starting to think im baiting myself into a bad play by calling for bring it down or slay the warlord. I feel like multiple times in my games recently uttering one of those two battle tactics nets me a finest hour. I almost feel like I should feint with a different battle tactic before going in on the kill. 

Yep, you're thinking along the right lines. Those tactics in particular should be opportunistic - don't take them unless the target is already on its last legs, doesn't have many defensive buffs available, etc. There are enough tactics that you should have an easier choice you can announce instead, and you should get used to having a rough (but flexible) plan for which tactics you can do right now and which ones you're setting up for future turns.

That said, it also sounds like you had some bad luck in that game, I'd expect three Stonehorns to sort out a GUO most of the time. Sometimes things just don't go your way.

So a spot opened for a GT in a couple weeks near me and im likely going to bring back out my thunderbellies list. I did however build a new list featuring Kragnos in it 

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Thunderbellies
- Grand Strategy: Dominating Presence I guess?? Not sure what to do here yet
- Triumphs: Inspired
Icebrow Hunter (125)*
- General
Slaughtermaster (140)*
- Artefact: Shatterstone
Huskard on Stonehorn (340)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Blade of the All-Frost
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Kragnos, The End of Empires (720)*
2 x Frost Sabres (55)**
2 x Frost Sabres (55)**
2x Frost Sabres (55)**

6 x Mournfang Pack (480)**
- Gargant Hackers
- Reinforced x 2
The Burning Head (20)
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Hunters of the Heartlands

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 91
Drops: 8

The idea of this list is to take a single 6 man unit of Mournfang and have it become a heat seeking missile across the board with R+C. and Kragnos' 18 inch charge eligibility + 3d6. I would drop Hrothgorn down nearby that bubble to get the 3d6 charge to with hopes he can land the charge and be next to the mournfang to issue Rip and Tear. The Stonehorn would also (Try) to tag along so that they can issue linebreakers to give the mount 3 damage on the tusk attacks. if I win the points and get a triumph I would also use Inspired to get +1 to wound. 

Basically its uber buffing a unit in hopes they can take something out that I need gone T1 and let KRag + the Stonehorn handle the rest. Krag would likely handle the battleline kind of units whereas I would go hero+monster hunting with the huskard to try to throw out battle long -1/-1 buffs. 

The mournfang Im bringing as 6 as opposed to 4 so I can afford to take 12 wounds of unleash hell without it affecting my damage output. Actually if anything I want them to take out a model so I can throw 5 side by side to maximize damage. 

Here's the quick damage graph I pulled up. These numbers indicate 4 models attacking (using gargant hackers too btw)

image.png.0646b9361ebb2dfcfc5d9046583c427b.png

As you can see they have a lot of potential to just nuke whatever they run into, even if they dont end up getting the full house of buffs.

Its a silly list, but the mournfang are able to motor it 17 inches before they throw a charge roll so I can almost guarantee a charge with the run+charge unless my opponent is playing super far back or uper castled towards the center. I also think this list has a potential to not work as well on diagonal deployments as even with my more vanilla Taco Bell list I went 0-2 on diagonal deployment and 3-0 on the straightforward deployment. 

Anyone have ideas on what you would maybe change up in this that I might be missing?

Edited by Schauer
Took our Hrothgorn for Icebrow

7 hours ago, Schauer said:

I would drop Hrothgorn down nearby that bubble to get the 3d6 charge to with hopes he can land the charge and be next to the mournfang to issue Rip and Tear. 

Anyone have ideas on what you would maybe change up in this that I might be missing?

Major issue is hrothhorn is winterbite, so he can't issue the rip and tear command, maybe replace with a regular hunter that way you will have the command trait as well. 

Question for my fellow tyrants. I was thinking of altering my list by swapping a fire belly for a unit of mournfangs. I asked my local group and was told, "Mournfangs are the most awful things ever and contribute nothing XD" I didn't find that very helpful, so I'm asking you all. I thought that adding a mobile unit that didn't need the tyrant's buffs to harass a flank sounded good. Thus far, the fire belly just hasn't added much to the army besides a 3rd unbind. Of course, when I remove him and his anti-horde spell, I'll run into a one. Xp Any advice on mildly altering my cannon list? Ironically, I don't feel like the answer is more cannon. XP

My proposed list:

Spoiler

1955pts Underguts, Warlord battalion (&), hunters of the heartlands battalion (*)

Tyrant (3+ save, general, trophy rack) (&)

Butcher (&)

Slaughtermaster (&)

4x4 leadbelchers (1*, 1&)

3x1 ironblasters

1x2 mournfang (iron fist) (*)

1x20 gnoblars (*)

2x1 gorgers

Burning head

Thanks, and a lovely week to you.