Here be Dragons! A Discussion Thread about Dragons in the Mortal Realms.

1 minute ago, Neverchosen said:

@GothmaugI love that this makes charging a unit of mounted knights into a dragon a better trade off than sending in a horde.

Oh I agree, and attacking the dragon wont be too bad, as you can plan for it, and be stragetic with the number of models you send in.

Its the opposite side that terrifies me, and that's when the dragon is on the offensive. Combining high movement and fly gives the Dragon's player a ton of freedom to pick his engagement spot to maximize the number of attacks. I look at my Orruk Warclan army, if I was the Stormcast player, I'd charge a big clump of ardboys or Gutripperz, and make sure to be within 3" of a high profile target like a Mawkrusha. Then dump all my attacks into the single target and delete it, relying on a high save and All out Defense action to protect me from the counterattacks. 

Its going to require some more strategic placement of units to defend against it. Its not overpowered, but its going to catch unprepared players for a nasty surprise. 

17 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

Calamitous Tail

Remind me not to charge the new dragons with a horde of grots or skellies, If i'm reading this right, I could have an entire 30 man unit of light infantry on 25mm bases surround the dragon, and the dragon gets 30 attacks at 3, 3, -2, 2. Ouch. Or worse yet, with a 3" range, the dragon charges a large 30 man infantry block, and then uses its 3" range to dump all 30 attacks (theoretical maximum) into the hero or elite unit hiding behind the infantry block.

n actual play, it shouldn't be very hard at all to charge a large infantry unit (or a castled up group of MSU's) and get 15+ attacks. It would be less scary and more realistic if those attacks had to be allocated to the models within 3" which generated the # of attacks. I.E. 3 attacks to unit A, 7 attacks to unit B, etc. In the current iteration, the dragon generates the total # of attacks based on nearby models, and then gets to choose where those attacks are allocated.

I would not be surprised if the tail attack gets errata'd to: "Pick a unit within 3". The Attacks characteristic of Calamitous Tail is equal to the number of models from that unit within 3" of the attacking model."

I think all existing horde killer work that way, where you can't get more attacks out of them than there are in the unit you are targeting.

That said, it's still a terrifyingly strong melee attack against hordes. 3+/3+ is about 50% to hit, so with damage 2 that means on average one wound per model in range. With rend -2 you wipe out any unit with a wounds characteristic of 1 and a save of up to 5+ with good positioning.

1 hour ago, edmc78 said:

Judging by the pic the new stormdrakes are close in size to a Stardrake. Wonder if they come in units of x2? 

The one right next to the big Gryph Charger on the far right doesn't make it look too big. The Chargers' limbs look longer than the dragons. Just the wings really bulk his size out.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

More info on building an all drake army. Seems like Hammers of Sigmar get Drakes as battleline by default that is pretty cool.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/12/build-all-dragon-armies-and-other-fierce-forces-with-the-new-stormcast-eternals-battletome/

Not exactly, Hammers of Sigmar unlocks only Draconith Guard.

To unlock that new winged riders, you need to take Knight-Draconis as general.

I suppose this new winged Dragons are keyworded as Drakes because their father (Dracothion) is called Great Drake of Legend. That will close the circle.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2021 at 10:55 AM, Beliman said:

Not exactly, Hammers of Sigmar unlocks only Draconith Guard.

To unlock that new winged riders, you need to take Knight-Draconis as general.

I suppose this new winged Dragons are keyworded as Drakes because their father (Dracothion) is called Great Drake of Legend. That will close the circle.

Reading comprehension another of the skills I sorely lack. Either way the idea of facing off against dragon themed Stormcast hosts is really exciting. I have started a small Stormcast army and I will make sure to include some dragon element but sadly a pure dragon force is just outside of my budget. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

Dragons popped into my head this morning while having my morning coffee (as they do) and I had to take another look at these Draconith. Oh my, they are truly special. The new Stormcast would look spectacular alongside these new kits. The slightly smaller frames of the Thunderstrike would work to accentuate the sheer size of these new kits, and have a certain 'ancient-splendour' about them that works well with the great drakes. I also think a dragon or two would look great as an allied unit to my Cities of Sigmar army.

Any rumours about when they are released?

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Wordy said:

Are GW discontinuing the star drake model? showing no longer available on their website.

As for the rest of the SCE range in the past couple of weeks, it's just being reboxed with the new box style and stripped down not-warscrolls

5 hours ago, Marcvs said:

As for the rest of the SCE range in the past couple of weeks, it's just being reboxed with the new box style and stripped down not-warscrolls

Aah ok cool. I’ve noticed the new boxed Vanguard Hunters.

Thanks.