AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

11 hours ago, lare2 said:

Cheers for the Fright of Flight breakdown. 

Went for the quoted above option. Found everything just fine in your previous guide. Chrome's 'find in page' option was ample for me. 

In a perfect world, that's what I would have voted for too. I only voted for the third-party option because of the latest of the infrequent blackouts on TGA. Not having the guide available for an indefinite period of time sounds luminethy

• Like 1

Suffered a pretty bad loss to Nurgle yesterday - a blightking spam list. I made some bad plays and dropped 2 of my first 3 battle tactics.

Ran a list with 30 Reapers in a Death Star supported by a Guardian, Olynder, Torment, Chainghasts, and Spirit Hosts. 

Also had 5 Hexwraiths and 3*10 Bladegheists in Scarlet Doom. 

The Death Star was great. The Blades were terrible - definitely need to spam them if running them MSU IMO. The way I ran them they didn’t kill anything and just died. 

Overall though I played poorly. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, The_Dudemeister said:

I'm more interested in the new battalions. One of which makes every model count as 3 for objectives, which will be extremely popular. The other one gives Infantry +1 damage against these battalions. 

Hello Krulghast! Only pros and no cons for us

Cons for Reapers and Chainrasps IMO. Their ability to fight in two ranks is very neutered. Bladegheist and Harridan subfaction stocks through the roof though. 

16 hours ago, lare2 said:

Cheers for the Fright of Flight breakdown. 

Went for the quoted above option. Found everything just fine in your previous guide. Chrome's 'find in page' option was ample for me. 

5 hours ago, The_Dudemeister said:

In a perfect world, that's what I would have voted for too. I only voted for the third-party option because of the latest of the infrequent blackouts on TGA. Not having the guide available for an indefinite period of time sounds luminethy

Yeah, totally get it. I've kept an offline backup to reference for that reason.

But if it makes anyone feel better, I'll host it on my own personal site. I pay for it, so there's no risk of shady goings on, and the guide will have it's own dedicated area. My other writings are on it, too, but that stuff is so cringing and old I'd advise against wasting your time with it.

But poll's not closed yet, as it were. Giving the guide a moment to rest and to get some final feedback before committing to publishing it. So still time to change your vote if you want.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 minutes ago, The_Dudemeister said:

WarCom just confirmed the whole thing and more. 

Yeah, Reapers especially have nothing speaking for them anymore. Chainrasps are at least still cheap and plentiful wounds. But everything Reapers do, Bladegheists and Harridans do better per model

Reapers do get the +1 attack vs 5 or more. That’s when they get charged too. And if they go in the battalion where they get +1 damage… they could really put in some hurt. I think their stocks are down, but they’ll still have a place. 

12 minutes ago, The_Dudemeister said:

WarCom just confirmed the whole thing and more. 

Yeah, Reapers especially have nothing speaking for them anymore. Chainrasps are at least still cheap and plentiful wounds. But everything Reapers do, Bladegheists and Harridans do better per model

20 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

Cons for Reapers and Chainrasps IMO. Their ability to fight in two ranks is very neutered. Bladegheist and Harridan subfaction stocks through the roof though. 

I've got the same question as the dude on WarCom's Twitter; how often are we going to be seeing seasons?

I mean, Thondia just came out and it was regulated as an optional "other" battle pack that doesn't play along with the GHB, and now it looks turfed completely for this new GHB. How long will this stick around?

2 minutes ago, EnixLHQ said:

I've got the same question as the dude on WarCom's Twitter; how often are we going to be seeing seasons?

I mean, Thondia just came out and it was regulated as an optional "other" battle pack that doesn't play along with the GHB, and now it looks turfed completely for this new GHB. How long will this stick around?

They hinted they’re going to 6ish months for GHBs now.

The Thondia stuff was supposed to release in January but was also supposed to be narrative, not January competitive. Since the Thondia stuff got so delayed… they just barely talked about it, which led to some confusion. Only the Incarnate is GHB legal from it all. We’ll see if it has points in the new GHB/online update. But, the Thondia stuff was meant to be narrative lore supplement while the GHB is the tournament supplement. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

They hinted they’re going to 6ish months for GHBs now.

The Thondia stuff was supposed to release in January but was also supposed to be narrative, not January competitive. Since the Thondia stuff got so delayed… they just barely talked about it, which led to some confusion. Only the Incarnate is GHB legal from it all. We’ll see if it has points in the new GHB/online update. But, the Thondia stuff was meant to be narrative lore supplement while the GHB is the tournament supplement. 

Ah, that makes a bit of sense. They could have communicated that a bit more clearly.

I really think 30xBladegheist deathstar is going to be super viable and legit with new rules. Go all in on buffs and recursion. Put it new battalion, keep it at -1 wound, -1dmg, 5++ and have GoS support with lifeswarm and Lady O. It's kind of nuts, especially if you pop a lightshard

Edited by Warbossironteef

What are your big winners out of all this?

Aura of Dread as more hordes mean more meaningful morale rolls

Spirit Drain is specifically anti-horde and our only damage spell with 18" range on top

Suffocating Gravetide that works similarly

Vault of Souls

Bladegheists

Harridans both because they can now fight in two ranks and deal much more damage than Reapers per model

Krulghast will hard-counter the battalion that gives +1 damage against battleline which will prove very popular

Reikenor with his spell dealing up to 2d3+1 mortals

Cairn Wraith BEYYYBLAAAADE

Off topic, but Q for the masses.

Does Nagash's Supreme Lord of the Undead work with Rally?

I'm getting votes on both sides of the argument. Rally is a (command) ability that returns slain models, and SLotU triggers "when you use an ability that returns models to a Death unit." And if it does work, would it be that if you happened to get only one 6+ to return a model to a unit that had several missing you get a free one even if that model's roll was less? Can you re-roll any of the dice that didn't make the cut for another chance since they are individual rolls? Or not since that roll doesn't determine an amount of return, only IF a return?

Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

That's nice. But BGs can be on 2 2s and have the same reach. I'm sad my Reapers arent doing that. 

Two ranks of Chainrasps is still shorter than the Reaper's weapon reach. Even if BGs and Harridans can fight in 2 ranks, a Chainrasp/Reaper combo can fight in 3.

Not all benefits are straight damage potential. In this case, an enemy is going to have to chew through the Chainrasps before they can deal meaningful damage to Reapers, which means you can focus your model return on less units overall and have a higher chance at keeping the ones you want at max. And simplicity is not without its value, too. To pull the same trick off with other battleline units you'd have to snake one in nornal range, if I'm understanding the rule correctly. Reapers have no such limitation. Lastly, no battleline's base size is 2". Reapers can still reach through if the battleline (or any other unit) isn't in two ranks, say after they start getting emptied from damage and not getting the models back.

24 minutes ago, EnixLHQ said:

Two ranks of Chainrasps is still shorter than the Reaper's weapon reach. Even if BGs and Harridans can fight in 2 ranks, a Chainrasp/Reaper combo can fight in 3.

Not all benefits are straight damage potential. In this case, an enemy is going to have to chew through the Chainrasps before they can deal meaningful damage to Reapers, which means you can focus your model return on less units overall and have a higher chance at keeping the ones you want at max. And simplicity is not without its value, too. To pull the same trick off with other battleline units you'd have to snake one in nornal range, if I'm understanding the rule correctly. Reapers have no such limitation. Lastly, no battleline's base size is 2". Reapers can still reach through if the battleline (or any other unit) isn't in two ranks, say after they start getting emptied from damage and not getting the models back.

Your point is valid but a bit of a fringe situation and to make it happen you'd most likely need 20 rasps to cover enough space to screen for those Reapers, so the points don't add up.

Overall, with the new rules, BGs will outpace Reapers in almost all instances. Add in Scarlet doom and it's not much of a contest. I'm more joking about my buyers regret than anything, but this change is a huge buff for BGs and other 32mm infantry. 

6 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

I don't know if this is their intent, but it also has a lot of duplication with GHB21?(the current one that is being replaced soon) meaning that if you want to play the monster focused Ghur style again, you can play a Thondia game or campaign. It's a bit of an easier thing to persuade someone to do than "want to play last GHB rather than current". I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Gallet (or whatever the area we are in now) book released in awhile that will cover a lot of GHB stuff from this one, and be available longer than the new GHB. If we move to a different realm in the new year, that means they have two Ghur settings still available.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Anyone here ever just buy 30x Grimghasts, spend the last week building and painting them? :( I'm so sad haha. They could have bene Bladegheists.

No need to be sad. Now you have an excuse to buy even more minis.

As an avid fan of myrmourn I'm biased but I think they will be big winners of fight in two ranks.

There was never a reason to take a unit of 8 before but in units of 4 they die very easily.

A unit of 8 will put out way more damage than people will suspect and with 8 there's a better chance of them surviving retaliation. Which means healing to bring back models becomes a lot more viable. Being points to wound the most expensive unit in the book, bringing them back is a really good investment.

Then again, with double rank fighting going both ways, they might not actually be any more survivable so maybe not. I'm definitely going to give it a try though.