Cities of Sigmar in AoS 3

1 hour ago, Nasnad said:

,Just found out that had 2 boxes of Scourgerunner/drakespawn chariots, from back when Cities of Sigmar was first release. Was relly hyped for CoS, but never got it started when the book was release.

Now I am thinking of getting back into AoS again, and would love to do some Cities of Sigmar (Would fit in with my friends starting gravelords and orcs )

Is it viable to do a mixed race army, how does the dark elves models hold up ? .. Will it all be gone when the new cities models get released ?

Awesome find!  Yes I think you'll still be in good shape with the next Cities Tome using mixed races.  Each unit usually wants some sort of support, and then some like the Hurricanum supports everything.  So maybe run the chariots of choice with your desired same keyworded hero or two for buffs, leaving some Freeguild gunners/foot general behind, with a Hurricanum and/or Luminark midfield for hit bonus and MW support, then with maybe a Phoenix or Gyrocopters (if points are spare) for some close air support.

I think this book will drop next year some time when the Dawnbringer Crusade comes out...and the Old World.  But I think the Dawnbringer Crusade will be a way to run Cities, like Stormcast has the Scions of the Storm vs Stormkeep option.  Most of the new units will probably be human mortals, but I'm very much hoping for some new Cities (like a Duardin one where any other Duardin unit can be coalition allies).  

IIRC Anvilguard has fallen in the lore but I could be mistaken.  Perhaps others have also fallen.  So they could need to add a few.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nasnad said:

,Just found out that had 2 boxes of Scourgerunner/drakespawn chariots, from back when Cities of Sigmar was first release. Was relly hyped for CoS, but never got it started when the book was release.

Now I am thinking of getting back into AoS again, and would love to do some Cities of Sigmar (Would fit in with my friends starting gravelords and orcs )

Is it viable to do a mixed race army, how does the dark elves models hold up ? .. Will it all be gone when the new cities models get released ?

No way to know. CoS was always a refugee range, and dark elves are one of the factions in Sigmar that will likely get ripped out of CoS and rolled into a new army as Lumineth did with high elves just before CoS got an independent tome.

If you already own the models then no harm really, but I would certainly factor in that CoS is one of the last 2.0 tomes in the game that hasn't been updated and we know their counterpart Dawnbringer Crusades is coming before buying anything new.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

No way to know. CoS was always a refugee range, and dark elves are one of the factions in Sigmar that will likely get ripped out of CoS and rolled into a new army as Lumineth did with high elves just before CoS got an independent tome.

That is what I am afraid of, that a good amount of the models might go the way of the tomb kings.

Any other army that can give the same underdog feeling as basic humans against the horrors of the realms? .. Or another army that can give a kinda "old school" feeling against gravelords and orcs

4 hours ago, Nasnad said:

Do you own CoS?  if not, i would suggest waiting.  GW has previewed a couple drops for CoS.  At first glance they look like theming SCE to CoS cities.  The worst thing you can do is buy in before a book drop or edition change.  GW said they are quite a ways out and what we've seen is some CAD renderings or 3D prints of the CAD so far.

I would assume very few people know the outcome of CoS models.  I would also say it's likely not as dire as some hand-flappers feel.  Since there was a Sylvaneth/CoS "wanderer" I would be surprised if GW killed off Wanderers from the book.  However I could see them evolving or perhaps a kit or two being dropped.  We could be in for a surprise and see a new kit or some CoS sprues that jazz up the older Wanderer kits.  It's an unknown for now.

52 minutes ago, Nasnad said:

That is what I am afraid of, that a good amount of the models might go the way of the tomb kings.

I imagine humans will be supported if anything is.  It is the race they aren't really reimagining "a la Witch Elves to Morathi's army, HE became Lumineth, etc".  

Before people bring up Bretonnia and TKs, those were armies that were not at all relative to a GW envisioning in any real way.  Plus TKs are now Ossiarch and you can convert your Bretonnians to Flesh Eater Courts and it would be pretty cool.  Them being on the chopping block is pretty obvious.

If anything wait and see what gets cut from the Beasts of Chaos.  If it's the Razorgor and Cockatrice, no biggie (those make sense being Finecast and poorly supported models).  If it's 2/3rds that army I would take some concern.  That's an army even I worried would be dropped from AoS but 2 books later and a WD supplement...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Anyone think Steam Tank armies will still be possible and exist in the next Cities tome with the Dawnbringers?  I thought I had read that the Ironweld Arsenal units will remain but not sure if I should load up on Steam Tanks or not.  The Living City route currently is pretty fun, running 6 Commanders who would all heal D3+1 wounds in their hero phases.  Not sure if the Commanders will 1) still exist, 2) still heal themselves, 3) make other S'tanks battleline if general 4) if there will be a Living City.

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Anyone think Steam Tank armies will still be possible and exist in the next Cities tome with the Dawnbringers?  I thought I had read that the Ironweld Arsenal units will remain but not sure if I should load up on Steam Tanks or not.  The Living City route currently is pretty fun, running 6 Commanders who would all heal D3+1 wounds in their hero phases.  Not sure if the Commanders will 1) still exist, 2) still heal themselves, 3) make other S'tanks battleline if general 4) if there will be a Living City.

In my opinion, Steam Tanks have a special kind of draw that is unique to Cities and Games Workshop is aware of this. I don't think they will get removed. I mentioned the possibility in the Mortals Redesign thread and @Whitefang replied with that picture of a big cannon. I take that as an indication that Ironweld/Warmachine heavy armies are a possibility in the new book.

I do not believe, however, that their rules will look anything like they do now. I expect the option for a Commander and unmanned tank to stick around, and there is probably some way to make them battleline, but beyond that all bets are off.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hmm havent been in touch with AoS and namley CoS for almost 2 years, but since we are getting a new book I started catching up a little here and there and one of the things I noticed is we are loosing the Wanderers in their entirety.

That .... stings a bit, since the MW archers were some of the best units CoS could put on the table. And while not amazing wild riders were kinda meh/fun to play, mostly for the cool models.

Just hope the new artillery pieces will make up for it, coz Sigmar knows for a faction that uses so much gunpowder heavy weaponry as CoS does in the lore, our artillery units were utter joke that was outdone by Stormcast balista point per point and later even the orkoblins and their arbalets.

I also heard the enitre current human CoS line is getting cut... so no Demigryphs, no General on Gryphon, no Hurricanum/Luminark (this one would suck especially badly).... boy I hope that this rumor is false. I am sure many besides me have plenty of those nice looking models and it would be a damn shame if those were no longer part of the new book.

With how the whole "Azyrite" thing is shaping up I wonder if we get back a new updated version of the old papa mobile for the reimagined warrior priest to ride on. That would be cool.

One thing that DOES rub me the wrong way though is the Chimera character.... Sooooo BoC cant have feral manticores, nuh uh sir, but CoS has a tamed one ? ....Ok chief, whatever you say >__>

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to need to go to my FLGS tomorrow and see what Dark Aelves they have.  Anvilguard's start collecting box comes with the Corsairs and Pirate hero, the Hydra, and a Drakespawn Chariot (or at least I've seen people say it can be built as such?).  Seems like I saw some Executioners there too but might have been a few times ago.  I wonder if those DoK Doomfire Warlocks can still build the Dark Riders?  Might be neat unit to toss in for some discordant distractions.

While I was a fan of the Duardin and they seem to be nice and sturdy, their slowness always cost me big time.  

7 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I think I'm going to need to go to my FLGS tomorrow and see what Dark Aelves they have.  Anvilguard's start collecting box comes with the Corsairs and Pirate hero, the Hydra, and a Drakespawn Chariot (or at least I've seen people say it can be built as such?).  Seems like I saw some Executioners there too but might have been a few times ago.  I wonder if those DoK Doomfire Warlocks can still build the Dark Riders?  Might be neat unit to toss in for some discordant distractions.

While I was a fan of the Duardin and they seem to be nice and sturdy, their slowness always cost me big time.  

Yes to all. Chariot in the start collecting is a dual build, so are DoK warlocks. Go for it.

• Like 1