VLoZD - Lance vs Sword

Liquidsteel

As per the title, I thought I would raise the age old question - Lance vs Sword on a VLoZD.

In LoN, it was generally considered better to run the Sword for consistent damage, with Lance only if you needed extra punch on the charge.

Whilst the non-charging profiles are the same as before, the Lance has received a hefty buff on the charge, gaining an additional point of rend as well as 2 additional damage, up from 1.

Sword - 4 Attacks / 3+ / 3+ / -1 / D3

Lance (Regular) - 3 Attacks / 3+ / 3+ / -1 / 2 

Lance (Charge) - 3 Attacks / 3+ / 3+ / -2 / 4

Vhordrai (Charge) - 3 Attacks / 3+ / 3+ / -3 / 4

Vhordrai added for fun, however it seems to me that the extra punch on the Lance makes it a no brainer now. The small amount you give up on non-buffed combats is more than made up for on those occasions that you charge.

Things to consider are running a VLoZD alongside Vhordrai, where you fight in the Hero phase and thus Sword could be better, as well as the D3 extra attacks on the charge artefact in Vyrkos, "Sangysron", which obviously favours a Lance.

What are your thoughts on this? What will you be running?

Edited by Liquidsteel

I'll probably run lance. Here are some stats:

Save Sword Lance on charge Lance
2+ 1.19 2.67 0.89
3+ 1.78 3.56 1.33
4+ 2.37 4.44 1.78
5+ 2.96 5.33 2.22
6+ 3.56 5.33 2.67
- 3.56 5.33 2.67

Lance on charge is a bigger damage gain than lance normally is a damage loss. Plus, frontloaded damage is more valuable than sustained damage.

Here are the stats over two rounds, assuming one charge and one normal for lance:

Save Sword two rounds Lance two rounds
2+ 2.37 3.56
3+ 3.56 4.89
4+ 4.74 6.22
5+ 5.93 7.56
6+ 7.11 8
- 7.11 8

The lance barely wins out. To me, it's the overall better choice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KK9T said:

I only have one Vlozd model right now and I’m wondering if I should run it as Vordrai or vlozd as general alongside Neferata. Any thoughts? 

in LoB a VLoZD with soulbound garnment and either aura of dark majesty or sanguine blur along with neferata is kinda of a must have

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

On 5/28/2021 at 1:04 PM, Raptor_Jesues said:

in LoB a VLoZD with soulbound garnment and either aura of dark majesty or sanguine blur along with neferata is kinda of a must have

That sounds good because then you get both as General. What if I wanted to run Kastelai?

Just finished construction on my VloZD last night. Considered several conversion options for a more attractive slance, but ultimately went with the sword  for two reasons:

--It looks really good. I would regret not having it on the model every time I looked at it.

--There's no guarantee the lance will stay as far ahead of the sword, or even ahead at all, the next time rules roll around. Second potential point of regret. And if the lance pulls even further ahead instead? I still have the super cool looking sword instead of that goofy lance.

As a side note, one of the things I considered was a halberd from the relevant Chaos Warrior Upgrade Pack on the GW webstore, which I think would have been pretty cool, if anyone else wants ideas.

2 hours ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Just finished construction on my VloZD last night. Considered several conversion options for a more attractive slance, but ultimately went with the sword  for two reasons:

--It looks really good. I would regret not having it on the model every time I looked at it.

--There's no guarantee the lance will stay as far ahead of the sword, or even ahead at all, the next time rules roll around. Second potential point of regret. And if the lance pulls even further ahead instead? I still have the super cool looking sword instead of that goofy lance.

As a side note, one of the things I considered was a halberd from the relevant Chaos Warrior Upgrade Pack on the GW webstore, which I think would have been pretty cool, if anyone else wants ideas.

just proxy the weapon, who cares. Just be sure to tell your loadout to the opponent beforehand

• 1 month later...

What do people think about Lance vs sword if using flaming weapon generic spell lore on VLOZD… I’m also thinking of running him alongside Vhordrai so will be using Vhordrias CA to allow VLOZD to pile in and attack twice during the hero phase? (A bit more niche and situational but what do people think in this scenario?) 

Edited by TechnoVampire

On 5/18/2021 at 3:19 AM, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

I'll probably be running a sword, but mostly for modeling reasons. I think the lance is the better option mechanically.

I always build the Lance. The sword is such a magnificent failure in terms of molding that all of my Zombie Dragon boxes arrived with the sword, still on the sprue, already having white bend-marks and even first hair thin cracks. They usually break the first time when clipping them out of the sprue... the Second Time when you look at it too hard. And the third time when you try to assemble the model. 🥲

• Haha 1