How will the gobbos be updated?

Hedgehog39

So everything in AoS is becoming bigger and more impressive, what with the stormcasts, ironjawz, goretide, et al.

But making gobbos bigger and more impressive sort of defeats the purpose of the weedy gits.

So what sort of kits do you think would help upgrade the grots? I'm thinking of the Old Tolkien quote that the goblinoid races make "nothing that is beautiful but much that is clever", which says to me that they need more war machines. But they should be powered by bigger creatures that they've outsmarted.

A couple ideas:

Troggoth "cavalry" where the big guy is wearing a platform on its shoulders. The "pilot" is holding a stick dangling a snotling in front of it while his mates fire arrows or jab with spears.

A big centerpiece cannon that's crewed by dozens of grots and hauled into battle by a pair of troggoths.

A huge battering ram that's powered by angry boars on makeshift treadmills.

What else do you think those clever gits can do?

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using Tapatalk

We have yet to see a true horde army get reworked. The closest thing is Savage Orruks - and they kind of made the shift away from horde to an elite/horde hybrid.

I think it will be a while before Gitmob gets attention. Hopefully they do flesh them out, though - and I agree, it will probably be with wonky war machines, but more on the slapped-together, iron clad kind of things, and less of the wooden, medieval looking ones they have now.

Bonesplitterz are still horde with multiple units of 20+ to fill out list. Unit caps are 40 anyway across the board. And if the crazy reformation of them is any indication of what could happen then we should all be afraid lol

From what I've heard/read GW will be putting smaller subfactions together in battletomes. So yes they could smash the troggoths into a book with maybe normal greenskinz, or normal gits, or smash all 3 together. 

Moonclan will probably be separate. 

No idea about spiders. Too small to have a book but also too popular to get rid of and they wouldn't fit merged into the normals.

Spiders are in a similar boat to the Sylvaneth then, so perhaps a similar update could happen for them. Maybe they'll get some foot goblins to go with the riders but I dunno if they want to do 3 goblin factions.

More war machines for regular goblins would be fun to see.

I can't wait till Gitmob gets updated! Unless they end up just a total bag of suck, I'm all over that!

I do recall when the brutes rumor started popping up there was also mention of a grot chopper that dropped infantry . These were initially thought of as 40k models but I think Gitmob is going to take the "crazy lil green engineers" route with warmachines. Albeit a more ramshackle version. Like Tolkien said, "nothing beautiful but clever"

As far as size goes, the current Gitmob grot size is about right now that everything across the board seems to be increasing slightly 

It such a cool kit too! Even if the are holding their bows in the wrong hand. (All old models seem to of been only of the left handed variety   heh  )

@Hedgehog39, I like your Troggoth ideas a lot. I just hope Troggoth get much bigger in size as far as monster models go. Not Gargant size but like half maybe with two per box like Morghast size perhaps.

I do think they could roll all three Grot factions into a single Battletome.

Three grots with one (tome)..... eh, eh.

BRING ON ZEE GROTS!!!!

(Edit) I hope they don't lose their wolves aspect either.

Spiders could get a complete overhaul like sylvaneth did yeah.

I'm thinking normal greenskinz + gitmob + troll + giants for one battletome. Also need to keep in mind GW would have to make completely separate allegiance stuff so all the normal stuff wrapped up into a super horde would work.

Moonclan separate, spiders separate. 

2 separate Orruks and 2 separate gobbos then one giant horde. Redo old ogres and destruction is done. 

2 hours ago, Lucio said:

Crazy green engineers would certainly make for an interesting army, but would require an entire refresh of the model range, and if they did that, what would happen to the remaining units?

Gitmob Grots: New kit with build options for spears and crossbows. (I just prefer crossbows and I think it would fit the maniac engineers theme a bit more  x20

Doom diver/spear chuka/rock lobba: consolidated into a three build optional kit. Maybe a giant Bola option for locking down monsters.

Wolf riders: new kit with same build options as now with maybe some new toys thrown in. I'd like to see netters with these. (Run em up the board and lock down a unit for a turn kinda thing)

Shaman: It can stay. It's a great little model.

Maybe some kind of Warboss / Mekboy equivalent. Can repair and boost warmachines and Grots.

I love the crazy engineering, and with enough crazy and just a tiny bit of science, they could keep it thematically separate from the dwarfs/duardin. The only problem I see is that gee dubs might view this as a bit too close to World of Warcraft goblins and, in a bid to make sure they can copyright the grot concept.

Ahem. I hit enter too soon and didn't realize it till later.

Anyway, I think that Gee Dubs might be hesitant about making their gobbos mad steam-powered engineers because the concept veers close to the WoW goblins.

And the notion of the skaven actually didn't even occur to me, but you're right. I think that the Skaven have the corner on (warpstone-fueled) steam engineering. I'm of the opinion that they can make the gobbos clever with wheels and pulleys and ramshackle wood-and-metal contraptions without incorporating steam-powered concepts.

6 minutes ago, Hedgehog39 said:

Ahem. I hit enter too soon and didn't realize it till later.

Anyway, I think that Gee Dubs might be hesitant about making their gobbos mad steam-powered engineers because the concept veers close to the WoW goblins.

And the notion of the skaven actually didn't even occur to me, but you're right. I think that the Skaven have the corner on (warpstone-fueled) steam engineering. I'm of the opinion that they can make the gobbos clever with wheels and pulleys and ramshackle wood-and-metal contraptions without incorporating steam-powered concepts.

This is more what I was thinking anyways. Less steam punk, more "scrap" punk.

5 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

This is more what I was thinking anyways. Less steam punk, more "scrap" punk.

I'd be happy to see Gitmobs binned and replaced by/turned into a Gnoblar faction with an emphasis on "scrap" punk. I love Gnoblars and was gutted when they didn't get much attention in the latest ogre book.

I hope that's the aesthetic - my Orruks are already scrap punker anarchists.

On gnoblars, aren't they significantly less intelligent and crafty than goblins? I thought they were the goblin's cowardly cousins - I could be wrong, I don't know much about them...

Alas, you're probably more right than not. While I enjoy the way that AoS is going, there's no denying that a lot of the changes were done For Great Copyright! The moonclan and spiderfang are definitely distinctive enough, but generic grots definitely need something to set them apart. Which is kinda what this thread is pondering :)

3 hours ago, Redmanphill said:

The bigger question is: will they be updated? Maybr they won't and will just fade into the background like the Chaos Dwarves in sixth edition. Moonclan will definitely get a book but the more generic races I don't see being too high on the priority and IP protectable lists.

The argument could be made that outside of the name Ironjawz are pretty generic.

We've not really seen warmachines get any love in AoS and I'm thinking this will be a big part of them.

Also now that their name has changed to something more "copyright friendly" maybe they will get the overhaul hammer. I do hope so.

Or at the very least some new archer arms that are holding a bow correctly unless all Gitmob Grots are leftys. They have added to existing kits before so it's not completely unheard of.

I still think it best to "Battletome" all three together.

On 8/31/2016 at 10:39 AM, Vasshpit said:

BRING ON ZEE GROTS!!!!

(Edit) I hope they don't lose their wolves aspect either.

I've always loved the idea of a wolf rider horde.  I'd like to see them get a treatment similar to the Beastclaw Raiders, but with (obviously) higher model counts, and certainly new models.  I'd like to see the wolf chariot go away, but get some good wolf mounted character options.  No reason a single new kit couldn't cover a few different types of models.  Especially if they go the way of the black knight kits, so that you have two fairly different mount options built in, as well as two different rider options.  If designed correctly, a good Wolf Rider kit could give us 4 model options, at least, and that's before you consider weapon options.  

Although, being honest with myself, I don't think we will see the wolf riders make a come back.  As a concept, it's just too hard to put a copy right on.  Tolkien and the warg/goblin combo pretty much assures us of that.  Don't get me wrong, I really can't blame GW for moving away from generic fantasy ideas, and into more unique concepts, it just makes good business sense.  Though GW makes the best models (imo) on the market, generic fantasy models are just way to easy to substitute.  And in a Mini Wargame market that is as big as it is now, GW will need to continue to change or die.

I'm not a huge fan of the spider-rider aesthetic.  It's not the spiders themselves, but the forest/jungle look I'm not keen on.  That said, if they keep them as an independent sub faction, I'd be fairly disappointed if they didn't keep most/all of the units on Spiders.  But I guess it all depends on if they decide the emphasis should be on their forest/jungle element or the spider element.  I'd argue that it's the spiders people like more.

I'd be sad to see the wolf aspect go BUT if they replaced them with Gore Gruntas I'd be happy with this as I think having the same mount species across factions helps make a fictional world more real. Just my opinion.

Hell you could even mount all warchines to their backs heh.

Plus you could fit like 5-7 grots on a gruntas. Maybe little mini howdahs on their backs.

Archived