Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

"corpsemaster" is an arbitrary concept.  Same for the dude on the corpse cart.  It's called something different, but its a vaguely wizardy looking old dude in tattered robes.  That's a necromancer if you want it to be.  You take the corpse master, mount it on a regular round base, and deploy it as a necromancer, nobody is going to stop you and say 'hey, what now?  that's no necromancer, that's a corpse master!  A completely distinct concept with which anyone is familiar.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Gotz said:

A second warscroll for the necromancer would be really nice. Recover again the Master Necromancer figure,  the Liche or even both...

That would give the flexibility to have armies lead by a necromancer. Its kind of weird that this option wasn't available on Legions of Nagash book, were it made more sense than in a vampire book, were it makes more sense to have them as sideckicks so the focus on vampires isn't lost

Something along those lines. A named necromancer would also be cool (Who said Kemmler?)

Yet I don't expect anything of that nature as well. There would have been hints if anything in that direction would have been planned, 

45 minutes ago, Gotz said:

I'm fully expecting for 3.0 a revamped version of Path to Glory, something similar to 40K Crusade system, and integrating the Anvil of Aphoteosis.

They would have to revisit all PtG profiles any way. They are ridiculously unbalanced right now. 

28 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

not the memelord

Talking about Bad Gandalf and his angry hobbit? 

With the current status of Inspiration the designers have shown, I‘m torn between resurrected old world fluff and doing something new.

it would be great to see vlad/kemmler/😻Abhorash😻 back, because the fluff was well written and cool.

and an extra necromantic hero is a bit missing, also the cursed city design and the two shown vampire heroes are pretty cool... not in the 250+ point range which I would like but still looking good.

on the other handside the ruminant cheeselords are furry abominations and riding gnus, soooo a lot could go wrong 😢🧐🙁😬

maybe the new varghulf and the flying fox are out of the same mind and luckily I’m playing undead... anxiety is taking over, need to decompress while inhaling airbrush fumes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I very much hope for new characters, both to make AoS more its own thing, to tie it better into the new lore, and because both Olynder and Katakros are pretty cool characters. In particular, I would like to see Vhordrai given a new fancier model over Abhorash returning, since they're basically the same archetype but Vhordrai's "lord of the cursed teleporting castle" is really fun.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShyishBarry said:

I very much hope for new characters, both to make AoS more its own thing, to tie it better into the new lore, and because both Olynder and Katakros are pretty cool characters. In particular, I would like to see Vhordrai given a new fancier model over Abhorash returning, since they're basically the same archetype but Vhordrai's "lord of the cursed teleporting castle" is really fun.

I am kind of coming round to that way of thinking, I'd love to see Abhorash and don't see why we shouldn't, given the glut of Old World Characters that have come back. Vhordrai is AoS only and with a bit more attention lore wise to make him a bigger/more active player I could stomach no Abhorash... just. :) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

Defected to chaos. So no Necromancer Kemmler for Death.

That alone would open up so many great storylines.

Nagash is on the brink of being destroyed and has lost control of his alliance. And just then good old Heinrich shows up to claim the throne himself. Does he work on his own account or is he a chaos asset? Has he even went behind chaos the same way he backstabbed the undead in the endtimes?

He will certainly have learned a trick or two while he worked with the chaos-gods...

I would be all in with that,

The idea that Kemmler would be making any sort of play for control of the Death Alliance seems unlikely to me.  For one, with Nagash in retreat and Arkhan gone, there *IS* no death alliance.  Just various undead factions and subfactions competing against each other as much as with the living for control of territories and resources.  The interests of Ossiarch Legions and the Vampires at least are fundamentally at odds.  Without a force powerful enough to outright subjugate one or both, you simply are not getting them on the same side, and that's before you consider that the most powerful vampires consider each other to be rivals, not allies.

Do you honestly picture either Ossiarchs or Vampires marching to Kemmler's orders?  Much less both together under his banner?  Do you picture any of the mortarchs losing any kind of battle with him - whether in personal power, wits, will, or battlefield command?  Because I really can't see that.  The best I could see for Kemmler even if he did return is him peddling his magicks to more powerful undead figures in between failed attempts to raise his own undead armies to unsuccesfully threaten minor settlements of the living.  You know, Kemmler stuff.

He was a cool character, but never a major player in the overall narrative, and if they made him one in AoS it wouldn't really feel like himself anymore.  Even more so than he already would just being in the mortal realms to begin with.  AoS is just so far removed from anything that mattered in his story... all his direct rivals and grudges are eons dead.  The lands that he hailed from or coveted are so far gone that none but the gods remember they ever existed in the first place.  There weren't even any loose plot threads in his own personal character arc to tie up.

Yes, he was cool in the old world, but not every character that was cool in the old world would still be cool in the mortal realms.

Drachenfels could fit as a more significant player, and is at least not so closely tied to the old world, since his core stories are only dubiously canon even there.  I'm still not sure why you'd bring him back, or how his main stories and itentities would really translate, or what he'd contribute that a new character wouldn't do better.

Our expectations are quite low given the absolute kicking Death received in BR: Teclis 😂

It also opens up so many questions and avenues from a lore perspective; it's excitement coupled with dread for me. See what happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Sception said:

The idea that Kemmler would be making any sort of play for control of the Death Alliance seems unlikely to me

I don't think it is likely either but it would be my "Shut up and take my money" situation. 

But to draw the picture a little further: Kemmler trying to take the lead in the death alliance would not mean he would succeed. Could turn out some time later that some chaos actor just planted him to weaken and tie up the death factions some more. It would be pretty easy to make it work. 

If I look at it realistically I don't expect any new necromancers soon. The focus is prettey obviously on the vampires for now. 

2 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

How about Drachenfels then?

Did he even leave the 2nd Edition ?

after Teclis put on his plot armor and Big N is done cackling and doing stupid suicidal stuff, things are left in disarray...

Nagash was the supreme ruler of Death, not unlike all the Chaos gods together, the parts of the Grand Alliance will crumble without him putting them into place.

With Arkhan in dire straits and Mannfred footslogging... the powervacuum will leave a lot of room for interesting figures.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Honk said:

Did he even leave the 2nd Edition ?

after Teclis put on his plot armor and Big N is done cackling and doing stupid suicidal stuff, things are left in disarray...

Nagash was the supreme ruler of Death, not unlike all the Chaos gods together, the parts of the Grand Alliance will crumble without him putting them into place.

With Arkhan in dire straits and Mannfred footslogging... the powervacuum will leave a lot of room for interesting figures.

Drachenfels showed up in the end times, arguably.  There was a nameless mortarch with arcane abilities to manipulate both the living and the dead.  Said to be a mere shade of his former strength, the spirit agreed to serve nagash in exchange for Nagash's promise to reveal is original name, with the suggestion that this would restore its lost power.  There is a heavy implication but not overt statement that this nameless mortarch was Drachenfels.  But even if it was, it [edit: would] be a pretty heavy reworking of the character.

Edited by Sception
  • Haha 1

I don't want any more old world characters to come back. There are already too many in the game. I never played fantasy and I have no interest in the lore and I'd much rather they create new interesting characters in the mortal realms for AOS rather then resurrect old ones. Katakros is a good example of this I love that they made a new death character rather than being lazy and just resurrecting settra or something. There is so much potential in the lore I'd love for them to capatilize rather then continue to be tied to old lore that doesn't matter any more.

The other nice thing about making new characters besides new lore potential is that the models are a lot more free to do crazy aos things rather than being tied to how the character used to look and act and you don't need to keep putting callbacks in the model to the older model. I love the over the top mythic fantasy of aos and I want that to be in Soulblight gravelords in addition to the amazing remasters of older models.

Edited by idn0971