Battlebox 2020

We likely won't see anything on this till November at best.

As for predicting that's very hard to do. Sometimes armies that are new get a box; sometimes armies that are old; some armies are popular and get more boxes than others. Any army could be up, even Luminoth could be up for a Christmas box.

Here's the list of all the previous Battleboxes for AoS:

• Gloomspit Gits
  • Stormcast Sacrosanct
  • Nighthaunt
  • Skaven
  • Idoneth Deepkin
  • Slaves to Darkness
  • Daughters of Khaine
  • Seraphon
  • Stormcast Vanguards
  • Grand Alliance Death(LoN)
  • Tzeentch Arcanites
  • Kharadron Overlords
  • Stormcasts
  • Ironjawz
  • Sylvaneth
  • Khorne Bloodbound
You can see that it follows a few rules, although you never know with GW. 40k had 6 boxes last year! We might get only two, or none this year because of the pandemy.
Be let's pretend everything is normal and we get the usual 4 boxes. It looks like they aim for a box for every faction although Death and Destruction are sometimes replace by order because it contains fewer armies. If you consider Stormcast chambers as different armies, no army has been featured more than once. And at least two of the armies have had an update about a year to a year and a half before the Battlebox.

If you take all of that into consideration:
  • Death: Ossiarch is a very safe bet
  • Destruction: it's likely to be Ogors, maybe Beastclaw raiders because most of the models are more recent 
  • Chaos: probably Slaanesh because they got updated last year
  • Order: Lumineth are way too recent, so Cities of Sigmar and Fyreslayers are the only one left. Fyreslayers have kind of a tiny range of models though, so I'll bet Cities, although I have no idea which city it could be. Maybe High Aelves because of Lumineth.
Edited by Minis by Night

This year I'm going to bet:

Stormcast

Ossiarchs

Fyreslayers

and... maybe Orruk Warclans?

Stormcast are usually a safe bet, although there was that one year when they didn't get a box.

Ossiarchs are new enough to be exciting, but old enough to be worth giving another boost to, much as Idoneth, Gloomspite etc were when they were featured.

I've been hoping for Fyreslayers for years, because I'm not keen on starting that army without a big discount box to get me the core of my collection. They've never had one, but maybe this'll be the year!

Then there is likely to be either a destruction of Chaos force for the fourth, although anything is possible. I feel like a mixed Orky box could be good, although I this is the one where I'm fumbling around to think of an idea, rather than one which made me want to write a post with my theories.

• Like 1

I feel Nurgle and Beasts are more likely than Slaanesh as Shadow and Pain will still be relatively recent and most of the Slaanesh line is useable in 40k and it seems they attempt to make these boxes specific for their respective game systems. Maybe they will make it hellstrider heavy and include the new hero, but that would be extremely similar to Shadow and Pain. However, past years have not always given each Grand Alliance a box, so maybe the forces of Chaos will take some time off and visit  family for the holidays.

It is really all speculation at this point. 🤔

6 hours ago, Overread said:

Luminoth are recent, but don't forget if all were as it should be they'd be 8 months or so old by Christmas. So they could still be in the running. 

Daughters of Khaine and Slaanesh I'd say have a low chance as well due to them having a duel battle box only a month or so before. 

The only reason I don’t think there will be a Lumineath battlebox is because they already got one already this year.  There maybe a bit of an undercut with releasing another box. 

• Like 1