Pull down the temples - future ability to destroy faction terrain?

Laststand

Part of the issue is the terrain varies in power quite a lot. Some armies are clearly built around their terrain doing things almost akin to a faction ability; meanwhile others are simply optional. Armies like Gloomspite Gits, Ossiarchs and Beasts of Chaos have quite far reaching abilities that are clearly expected to be part of the army strategy every time; meanwhile terrain like the Skaven gnawholes are far more optional. You can use them or you can choose not to use them - though either way they always mess with an opponents choices. 

Thing is some of them also have abilities that scale turn to turn so skipping a turn has a much more dramatic impact on the whole army instead of, say, a gnawhole not working which means one unit is left out of action for a turn etc...

• Like 1

I think if this is done, that certain terrain pieces would be much more difficult to destroy than others. I have stated in a few threads on the idea of siege mechanics that it would be nice if different materials represented different degrees of durability. For example a stone wall would be harder to breach than a wooden palisade.

Luckily the ones listed here are actually for the most part rather durable. The Bone-tithe Nexus, Herdstone and Bad Moon Loonshrine all look like they would be much more durable than say, a Fane of Slaanesh, Charnel Throne or Gloomtide Shipwreck. Wyldwoods representing a wooded area should also be hard to destroy but in a different fashion, maybe less durable but with more (the terrain equivalent of) wounds?

So maybe make attacking the Herdstone an option but also something that will take a number of turns as opposed to the relatively simpler task of smashing up a Charnel Throne.

Also this is the perfect thing for narrative or open play scenarios. If someone has an underpowered army or less experience with the game, maybe give them a chance to sabotage faction specific terrain to help even the odds. 

Edited by Neverchosen

13 hours ago, Laststand said:

@Overread @Maddpainting good points but the fact that it would mess up certain armies badly doesn't necessarily mean GW wouldnt use it as a new ability. For example the Lumineth thing that forces you to use 2 command points each time is awful for some armies.

I'm not for or against, just pondering on the idea. 

You doing something to effect you is different than effecting your opponent. Thats like me saying "When you pick a unit to move, instead I move it" well that is huge levels of game changing compare "I get to pick one of my units and move it again".  Giving in games like this is not as strong as taking away from your opponent.

1 hour ago, Beastmaster said:

I’d hope rather for some Siege rules/scenarios, even if only for narrative games, than just having a possibility to kill off the odd faction terrain buff.

This would also make objectives much less abstract. 

There are siege rules in wrath of the everchosen arnt there? They include rules for every faction i think.