Are Beastclaw raiders too.......beasty

Karchev23

Gday all, Im new to AOS ( WHFB refugee), and ive just started with BCR's. I love the new fluff and ive always been a big fan of Ogres *COUGH* Ogors.... However, what I keep hearing aswell as from reading from the Tome is that they are exetreeeemely Over powered which brings me to my point. 

Will people lose enjoyment in the game due to somebody playing BCR? - My reason for saying this is because i despise power gamers, people who only care about winning. I also play 40k and i see it alot and its gotten to the stage that i simply lost interest in it. I dont want to be "that guy"

I reckon there's a vast difference between "Hey I have a bunch of Frost Sabres" and "Breh I've got 4 Thundertusks, eat 28 Mortal Wounds at range Turn 1".

If you can find a happy middle ground between those extremes you shouldn't be the dreaded guy. People usually struggle with the concept of elite armies, because most of the time you can't 'do anything to them' (kill them). The reason is when you drop ONE MODEL from an elite army such as this, that's a large amount of the total list - but still is just one model and doesn't feel like any progress. And likewise those 5 models or whatever is outputting an entire armies worth of damage, which doesn't "feel" right when the opponent uses their own strong models and can't get half as far, though they are half the points. It's mostly a feeling thing!

I had the same problem w/Imperial Knights in 40k, oh boy oh boy did I catch a lot of flakk even as I was losing the games.

BCR aren't an adaptable faction. With such a low model count, you'll come up against a few scenarios that you just won't be able to win (unless of course you table the other army, which is doable with BCR). Right now in AOS there is a large power range, BCR being near the top. I wouldn't worry about it - they're one of... three? Factions with new battle tomes with all the bells and whistles, eventually with the GW power creep they'll fall back down.

That being said, I don't really like playing against power gamers. I don't play exclusively to win (if I did, I wouldn't run mostly Greenskinz), but getting steamrolled isn't fun.

unless of course you table the other army

The major victory rules stated in the battleplans are exclusive. The major victory for killing everything and all the other stuff (the old Triumphs, sudden death rules) in the 4 pages of rules about winning are not included in matched play by default (somewhere they answered this in an FAQ or FB page). This is very much a good thing as it discourages low model count broken lists that do nothing but kill.

8 hours ago, LordDrakonus said:

If you're playing straight kill than maybe, but BCR will struggle with objectives. My 2k list can't win a major on take and hold. Only 8 models..... 

4 hours ago, Nico said:

The major victory rules stated in the battleplans are exclusive. The major victory for killing everything and all the other stuff (the old Triumphs, sudden death rules) in the 4 pages of rules about winning are not included in matched play by default (somewhere they answered this in an FAQ or FB page). This is very much a good thing as it discourages low model count broken lists that do nothing but kill.

Do you mean that beast claw raiders (or better, beast claw raiders monsters) are not so competitive, and it's better/necessary mixing them with other destruction units?

I'm working on a 2k list with frostlord on stonehorn, two huskards on thundertusk, one stonehorn and two mournfang packs, but seems to me that in some missions  things won't be easy at all..

8 hours ago, LordDrakonus said:

If you're playing straight kill than maybe, but BCR will struggle with objectives. My 2k list can't win a major on take and hold. Only 8 models..... 

Yeh pretty much this. Pure BCR is hugely powerful offensively, but perhaps doesn't hold up in all the Matched Play battleplans (or any Battleplans that aren't just kill missions).

Mixing in some generic Destruction battleline is where they will shine. @Cowboy Boots Matt has some interesting ideas around this.

32 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

My current list on paper is a Skal with ttusks and yhetee. Gives that up front power with a mix of debuffs plus deepstriking to counter back ground stuff or snag objectives or whatever. 

This is a very interesting argument: but I must absolutely find yhetee alternative models! I only have three of them (finecast), and they are one of worst GW models, in my opinion.. I can't even think of buying others

1 hour ago, Ferrus65 said:

This is a very interesting argument: but I must absolutely find yhetee alternative models! I only have three of them (finecast), and they are one of worst GW models, in my opinion.. I can't even think of buying others

Oh I agree with the models lol but yeah send the yhetees in ahead of the ttusks to tie up whatever is in front. The run+charge+reroll charge(thanks to frost lord) means they will get where is needed fairly quickly. Plus the -1 to hit for everything near the ttusks and yhetees. That's your up front power.

Then you have that ambushing hunter with his pack of 4 buffed cats. Even if the beefed up run+shoot super spear doesn't hit they will quickly have a pack of cats in their face. Bye bye artillery, hello objectives!

21 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Oh I agree with the models lol but yeah send the yhetees in ahead of the ttusks to tie up whatever is in front. The run+charge+reroll charge(thanks to frost lord) means they will get where is needed fairly quickly. Plus the -1 to hit for everything near the ttusks and yhetees. That's your up front power.

Then you have that ambushing hunter with his pack of 4 buffed cats. Even if the beefed up run+shoot super spear doesn't hit they will quickly have a pack of cats in their face. Bye bye artillery, hello objectives!

On the board, they are both very interesting, and I'm seriously considering them specially for low points game

I didn't mind the Yhetees when they were first released in WFB 6th edition, however since those times the models have unfortunately aged pretty poorly. On top of that they are now finecast, which is a horrible material to work with. It's a bit of a missed opportunity as I reckon GW could've made some phenomenal models for these.

I wonder what sort of alternatives are out there? I've attached a photo of the Heresy Ice Troll which is pretty cool. There's possibly some Hordes Trollblood models you could use and I'm sure Reaper would do something that would fit the bill.

The Malifaux Snowstorm is awesome but pretty static so would take work for a whole unit to look interesting. Same with their Ice Golem.

untitled.png

Thank you Chris, I was buying on ebay reaper miniatures/ bones series  three ice trolls, but I didn't find an agreement with the seller.

They are really 'basic' (and static) , but not so different from GW ones, and cost almost 1/3 ..

I'm looking for other alternative models, Crocodile Models Wendigo seems interesting, but I must understand if they are one piece or must be assembled, I don't love metal kits

It's sounding like BCR heroes on behemoths backed up with savage orruks for battleline is going to be popular. It already did very well at the Alliance tournament in the UK, this list came in 2nd out of over 50 players:

• Frostlord on Stonehorn
  • Frostlord on Stonehorn
  • Frostlord on Stonehorn
  • Thundertusk Beastriders
  • 10 Savage Orruks
  • 10 Savage Orruks
  • 10 Savage orruks

Comes to 2000 even, doesn't take max Thundertusks, but 3 Stonehorns is pretty damn tough.

1 hour ago, thediceabide said:

It's sounding like BCR heroes on behemoths backed up with savage orruks for battleline is going to be popular. It already did very well at the Alliance tournament in the UK, this list came in 2nd out of over 50 players:

• Frostlord on Stonehorn
  • Frostlord on Stonehorn
  • Frostlord on Stonehorn
  • Thundertusk Beastriders
  • 10 Savage Orruks
  • 10 Savage Orruks
  • 10 Savage orruks

Comes to 2000 even, doesn't take max Thundertusks, but 3 Stonehorns is pretty damn tough.

How does that even work lol 

Sounds like it would 'wtfsmash' everything until it came up against something with actual tactics. 

What was the placement scoring based on? 

32 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

How does that even work lol 

Sounds like it would 'wtfsmash' everything until it came up against something with actual tactics. 

What was the placement scoring based on? 

No idea to all of the above, gotta ask @Ben, haha. He briefly covered it on his podcast: http://baddice.co.uk/age-sigmar-tournament-army-lists-alliance-ep-147/

Looks like Tournament points with Victory Points as the tiebreaker.

5 hours ago, Nico said:

It's ridiculous that Savage Orruks are 20 wounds for 100 points and Zombros are 20 wounds for 120 points and don't have any save.

Yeah, but Flesh Eater Courts have a bit more variation in their units such as Zombie Dragon's (behemoths) which I believe gives them reason to cost slightly more for their battleline units. It could also be how to use them with existing command abilities. I could also be wrong.

My 1500p list is: 

1 Frostlord on Stonehorn

4 Mournfangs

2 Mournfangs

1 Thundertusk Beastriders

Beastclaw avalanche battalion

So 8 models at 1500p. But I really don't enjoy playing Battlehost lists, more than 2 behemoths or 2 Artillery seems way too much IMO. Vanguard suits me more. We're arranging tourneys here with 2000p Vanguard lists. 

Archived