Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

Had my first two games this weekend. I played breaker tribe with one of each mega gagants an 1x3 mancrusher against Lumineth Realmlords with Teclis, Light of Eltharion, 3x10 archer 3x10 spearboys and a Cathaller. (if I recall correctly)
The mission was the one from the core rules where you have to controll every objective (one in each quarter) at the end of round 3. That didn't matter though because the pointy aelves got tabled at the start of round three. 🤯

In game one the Lumineth took first turn. Teclis summoned the umbral spellportal to get in range für some spells, but didn't do much (except the spell where I have to use two CP).  His shooting did a few wounds, but nothing critical. His spear aelves and Eltharion moved closer.
My turn was very short. I moved forward, crushed some aelves under thrown rocks and got my objectives.

I got the double turn and that was where the pain started. I charged my mancrusher and kraken eater in the coming spearboys and my warstomper into Eltharion (not optimal but my only choice).  And what a charg that was...my mancrusher (or aelvcrusher) decimated the whole unit (already weakened through thrown boulders) with their impact hits. Eltharion suffered 6 MW as well from the stomper. Close combat was swift and brutal. The kraken eater is very effective against shining company by removing three models on a 2+ to break the ranks.  My gargants suffered some wounds, but destroyed a lot (except for Altharion, who refused to give up his last wound).

In their turn the Lumineth had not much left to do. Teclis casted his protection spell to mitigate some damage, but to no avail. After some shooting and poking my gargants were hurt but still standing and crushed the last spearboys as well as Eltharion.

Again, I won the roll off. We continued playing, just to see what would happen. The Lumineth had no chance in coming back at this point. Teclis caught a giant piece of rock from my gatebreaker with his face and got charged after that. After the ensuing combat phase all of the Lumineth had fallen.

Game two went very similar. The setup of the lumineth was a bit different and my opponent took first turn to get Teclis protection spell on his troops.

This time he managed to fell one mancrusher and almost the kraken eater, but without focusing everything on one gargant it was very hard for my opponent to fell one.

All in all I was quite surprised how brutal those games went. I felt a little bad for my opponent but we had a lot of fun nevertheless.
One hilarious moment in game two was, when my warstomper grabed one of two remaining spearboys to throw him at his companion to make way so my gatebreaker could pile into Teclis.

• Like 2

I think realm lords will actually be an incredibly bad matchup normally. They have two spells that cause units to test bravery anytime they want to perform an action and multiple ways to lower bravery. Meaning 50% of a SoB army will often not be reliably doing stuff. To move then charge then swing you need to make and pass 3 checks at most likely bravery -2. 

That was something my opponent did in game 2, but only on my gatebreaker. I didn't use him in that turn but my others gargants still wrecked him. 

The bravery shenanigans are indeed quite troublesome and you need CPs if you run mancrusher in units of three. Especially bad if the Lumineth get the spell where you need two CPs for one ability. 

13 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

I think realm lords will actually be an incredibly bad matchup normally. They have two spells that cause units to test bravery anytime they want to perform an action and multiple ways to lower bravery. Meaning 50% of a SoB army will often not be reliably doing stuff. To move then charge then swing you need to make and pass 3 checks at most likely bravery -2. 

Im still a bit on the fence, but ultimately I feel like SoB is one of those armies that will absolutely crush non-optimized lists by simply exsisting on the table, nevermind destroy squishy armies. Against the very top meta armies I think its looking rather grim. Many armies will very easily remove 1+ Mega per turn (some can comfortably remove 2) which you cant do a whole lot about due to their immense speed. I also think the result will very much depend on what battleplan you are playing on. My games so far have been VERY swingy and in about 10 games I have really only had 1 close match (fun semi shootcast list) which went all the way to turn 5 and I barely won by 2 points on Blade's Edge. 

Im still a bit annoyed at our Tribes.. Stomper is pretty disgusting against hordes of low wound models but it is kinda weaksauce against non-horde armies. Breaker is pretty awesome but if you pick the wrong loathing you basically get no benefit either. Taker is all around good, but again if you dont face horde armies, the increased model count doesnt really matter. I feel like picking your Tribe is very much hit or miss, where as other armies gain general benefits that work pretty much against any kind of army they face. This setup for the SoB sucks hard if you are into the "all-comer-list" gameplay rather than fixing a game with your mate and tailor your list accordingly. 

You can basically very easily run into situations where your alligiance abilities do 0 and all you have going is your warscroll abilities and the increased model count (which is great, no doubt).

Edited by Kasper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kasper said:

Im still a bit on the fence, but ultimately I feel like SoB is one of those armies that will absolutely crush non-optimized lists by simply exsisting on the table, nevermind destroy squishy armies. Against the very top meta armies I think its looking rather grim. Many armies will very easily remove 1+ Mega per turn (some can comfortably remove 2) which you cant do a whole lot about due to their immense speed. I also think the result will very much depend on what battleplan you are playing on. My games so far have been VERY swingy and in about 10 games I have really only had 1 close match (fun semi shootcast list) which went all the way to turn 5 and I barely won by 2 points on Blade's Edge. 

Im still a bit annoyed at our Tribes.. Stomper is pretty disgusting against hordes of low wound models but it is kinda weaksauce against non-horde armies. Breaker is pretty awesome but if you pick the wrong loathing you basically get no benefit either. Taker is all around good, but again if you dont face horde armies, the increased model count doesnt really matter. I feel like picking your Tribe is very much hit or miss, where as other armies gain general benefits that work pretty much against any kind of army they face. This setup for the SoB sucks hard if you are into the "all-comer-list" gameplay rather than fixing a game with your mate and tailor your list accordingly. 

You can basically very easily run into situations where your alligiance abilities do 0 and all you have going is your warscroll abilities and the increased model count (which is great, no doubt).

If you are prepping for a tournament setting (as in you really have no idea about the meta you are playing in) I feel like Breaker with Bossy Pants is kind of a safe choice. 

• Like 1

Indeed the +1 vs heroes and wizards seems to be generally the best. Also breaker has a good trait in plus 2 attacks and ok item. 

The other thing with breaker I noted previously is that they essentially have the rule “opponents don’t get +1 save from cover” as people don’t want to give you +1 damage. This is something that your always passively getting which a lot of the time may go unnoticed. Most armies want to sit smaller heroes or elite units in cover. 

Then it all combines together. Breaker Mega has great ranged attack with +1 to hit vs heroes and that hero doesn’t want to use cover to boost their save.

21 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

Indeed the +1 vs heroes and wizards seems to be generally the best. Also breaker has a good trait in plus 2 attacks and ok item. 

The other thing with breaker I noted previously is that they essentially have the rule “opponents don’t get +1 save from cover” as people don’t want to give you +1 damage. This is something that your always passively getting which a lot of the time may go unnoticed. Most armies want to sit smaller heroes or elite units in cover. 

Then it all combines together. Breaker Mega has great ranged attack with +1 to hit vs heroes and that hero doesn’t want to use cover to boost their save.

Yeah the +1 vs heroes/wizards is neat. I have thought a lot about it in a double GB Breaker list, so you can attempt to snipe enemy heroes like Skink Priests, Warchanters etc. It would nullify Look-Out Sir. 

After playing some games Im not too keen on building for more damage. I feel the damage is "ok" and you are probably better off building for staying power to live another turn to secure VPs, rather than dealing a little more damage. I really like the idea of the Kraken-Eater with  Extremely Intimidating (-1 to hit in melee) and the Chamon realm artefact (ignore rend 1 attacks), which will ultimately keep him around for longer.  

I feel like our bad matchups extra damage will not matter since they will likely take you off the board, whereas our good matchups extra damage isnt needed at all. In both cases being more tanky is IMO the way to go so far.

Edited by Kasper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kasper said:

Yeah the +1 vs heroes/wizards is neat. I have thought a lot about it in a double GB Breaker list, so you can attempt to snipe enemy heroes like Skink Priests, Warchanters etc. It would nullify Look-Out Sir. 

After playing some games Im not too keen on building for more damage. I feel the damage is "ok" and you are probably better off building for staying power to live another turn to secure VPs, rather than dealing a little more damage. I really like the idea of the Kraken-Eater with  Extremely Intimidating (-1 to hit in melee) and the Chamon realm artefact (ignore rend 1 attacks), which will ultimately keep him around for longer.  

I feel like our bad matchups extra damage will not matter since they will likely take you off the board, whereas our good matchups extra damage isnt needed at all. In both cases being more tanky is IMO the way to go so far.

The tanky side may well be best again though doesn’t breaker do that better? If you go breaker +5 wounds and 6+++ shrug it takes 48 unsaved wounds statistically to kill him. 

Also KE & taker have the lowest damage output so the less you kill the more damage your taking in subsequent turns. 

From what I’ve seen no SoB players are struggling to hold objectives if their models are alive. They struggle when models die so a focus on living longer and blunting the opponents high damage dealers would seem to be the most favourable setups. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reuben Parker said:

The tanky side may well be best again though doesn’t breaker do that better? If you go breaker +5 wounds and 6+++ shrug it takes 48 unsaved wounds statistically to kill him. 

Also KE & taker have the lowest damage output so the less you kill the more damage your taking in subsequent turns. 

From what I’ve seen no SoB players are struggling to hold objectives if their models are alive. They struggle when models die so a focus on living longer and blunting the opponents high damage dealers would seem to be the most favourable setups. 

Dont know if it is better. I looked at the output of 30 Ardboyz and removing their 1 rend and pushing them to 4s to hit resulted in 30 Ardboyz going from 36 damage output vs 4+ save to 20. Thats a pretty big survivability boost. 

The GB deals significantly more damage on average but if you dont get +1 to hit, you are hitting on 4s with the flail, which is significantly worse than hitting on 3s tbh., especially in a world where a couple of the top armies have easy access to -1 hit (Seraphon and Tzeentch).

Even if chopping your opponent is great, I just worry in situations where my opponent has significantly more mobility than me, and thus almost always getting the jump on my Mega-Gargant. It doesnt matter if he can clubber the enemy to death if he gets deleted in 1 round of combat before he hits. 

KBB1.png.649d05506d95816347f599f98d5fe6f2.png

Things have been pretty hectic lately, but I wanted to share some of the progress on King Brodd. The approximate height from base to the top of the head is 23 cm so he seems appropriately scaled for being the king of giants.  The large object over his head (a spice container) will eventually become Brodd's pillar. Later on I plan to use vines to hide some of the wires I used to strongly secure the "pillar". All in all, quite a bit more work to be done but it is beginning to take shape.

Hope everyone is having lots of fun with the new gargants!

Edited by EasyArmy
  • Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

I was thinking about starting a Sons of Behemat army and wanted to get ideas for conversions. I wanted to stick to the idea of the little giants trying to copy the style of their big brothers. I also like the idea of the giants being from different realms picked up as the tribe made it's way through them. While I did have an idea for a theme, I wanted to get thoughts on how to combine these themes.

My initial idea puts them in a vast desert during the events of Morathi, tentatively "allied" with a free city (more like holding them hostage) and "protecting them."  The job becomes real when the daughters of Khaine, among others, come knocking. (I also want to make up some allies from this city as a fun side project. Maybe put some on their bases or scaffolding on their bodies?) I was thinking of an araby or perhaps native american theme. Most likely a mixture, leaning into araby. I haven't done a desert basing theme before and was thinking of shrubs and sand dunes for much of the bases. My bigger problem is I'm not sure how to combine, say, a mancrusher from the realm of life with the desert theme. I also kind of wanted to show the tribes journey with their gear. Like they "protected" an ironweld caravan  from a khorne attack and take loot from both as spoils and payment. I feel that would probably be pulling the project in too many directions though. It's how I picture the sons working oftentimes, but I feel somewhat limited by the medium.  Don't want them to be too busy. As for where the desert is? ... I'm open to suggestions, but was initially leaning into the realm of fire, clichéd as it is. (All the realms are up for grabs, but my initial thoughts are that they start in a tundra in ghur, move through shysh(maybe ulgu?) into chamon, and then linger in ghyran until they are driven out into aqshy.) I will of course be magnetizing the megas which I suspect will be more challenging because of the theming. Oh well, the price of my passion.

Thanks for any help on the subject and I look forward to getting to work on this. 

Cheers!

TLDR: I want to have giants from different realms all acting in a sandy desert environment. How do I combine these themes?

• Like 1

Finally got my Battletomb after the long wait and all the hype I can finally say The Sons of Behemat lore contains one of the most interesting mythologys for a fictional race, truly enjoyed it. So many little things that have been in the background from the beginning that are now being more expanded on. How the gargants see things, how mancrushers join mega Gargants, them learning the Merc trade from Maneaters, the Ghur Heartland, Sky Titans and King Brodd are just a few of the really good bits in the book.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

18 hours ago, CorvoMaltes said:

Quick tip: A +3 attacks Terrorgheist that attacks twice and a zombie dragon can do 40 wounds, RIP my mega gargant. 

You can add Gotrek, Archaon (especially in Tzeentch), 6 Gore-Gruntas, 1 Maw-Krusha with neg3 rend artefact to the list of units that can easily remove a single Mega per turn. 😅 Might be talking from personal experience here.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Vyrullax said:

Slowly plodding through to get up to 1k points to try them out.

1084470_sm-Age%20Of%20Sigmar%2C%20Aleguz1084471_sm-Age%20Of%20Sigmar%2C%20Aleguz

Those are incredible. You're an absolute beast of a painter.

What was your thought process behind painting, what appears to be, that cracked skin effect? In either case, really love how characterful both models are - they really seem to tell a story.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EasyArmy said:

Those are incredible. You're an absolute beast of a painter.

What was your thought process behind painting, what appears to be, that cracked skin effect? In either case, really love how characterful both models are - they really seem to tell a story.

This is actually my first foray into AoS. I always wanted an army designed by friends and family but had the issue of them meshing together.

Enter sons of behemat where each gargant can be a piece in it's own yet still be an army.

The forest gargant was a concept by my wife. She had the idea of a nature loving gargant that well hated man. She picked out the parts and colours and gave the idea she wanted animals and we settled for birds.

The next gargant was by her bff who is also a friend of mine. She decided she wanted a sand gargant. Since sand looked more or less like skin colour, we wanted some detail to make it unique. So i guess instead of fleshy skin we got clayish skin and the cracks worked well showing that.

The last thing i decided on was having the basing be a forest in ghur to tie all the models together and make them look like a bunch of gargants from different realms/areas come together in ghur as an army. 

P.S: next one will be one i envisioned and i will post it once done =]

• Like 1