Vampire only army (ok with Zombies)

Dolinarius

Hi guys, 

I'm thinking of building a vampire only army + maybe some zombies. 

As we all know, there are not that much vampire models out there, beside some hero models and Bloodknights ofcourse which are expensive and I personally don't like them too much. 

So I started thinking about the core of the army and about using dark aelves for this purpose (as infantry with graveguard warscroll) and chaos knights as a Bloodknights prox. I would prefer Dragon Princes, but atm they are as expensiv as the BKs. To make them more death-ish i would use the upgradeset Death GW provides and some bald heads. 

Painting them with the typical red armour, brown leather, white skin theme should do the trick here to make them look uniformly. 

As a filler unit and because I like the idea, i also would love to add one blob of zombies made of Freeguilds, Dwarfs and maybe also Aelves - but I'm not shure about the paintjob here. Do I paint them all with the same colour scheme or do I paint them in their typical schemes and only paint their skin zombie-like, wash them heavy and base them all the same?

Other potential adds for the army:

Vampire Lords

Mannfred/Neferata

Dire wolves

Bats

Necromancer

What do you think?

Any other ideas which minis could fit?

Would an army like that be allouwed in a GW store? 

The rule was "to use GW minis only" but not that I cant proxy GW mini A with GW mini B (outside of WYGIWYS games), at least in your store as far as i know. 

Disclaimer:

I don't play competitive, so I don't care about listbuilding too much. This project will come to reality as early as summer, I have to finish my IJ army first. 

Edited by Dolinarius
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why no mention of Vargheists?  

Also, get loads of Spite Revenant heads from bits sites (or Sylvaneth players who love Tree Revenants). 

Stick those heads on any human or elf, et viola Vampire infantry. 

You can use the Marauder mercenary company for these fellas, rules wise.

Edited by Kyriakin

On 1/21/2020 at 11:47 AM, Dolinarius said:

What do you think?

Any other ideas which minis could fit?

Would an army like that be allouwed in a GW store? 

12/10 for style and if used right you can built quit punchy lists.

I would also mention the coven throne (palanquin is not my jazz) which is quite a good and well-rounded buff hero.

And a corpse cart for your zombies (and wolves, they get a funny 3+ save in the woods 😈)

miniature wise you shouldn’t get any troubles, as long as you do a bit of conversion work and not just undead paintjob. If they do, you should fight back.

Best of luck and Post some pictures...

• Like 2

I'm thinking of starting a Soulblight army myself.

A good start I think (this is what I'm doing) is to buy two start collecting boxes of Flesh Eaters.
With two of these boxes you can build 2 VLoZD's and 6 vargheists. The small wings that come for the vargheist champion can be used to make a flying horror out of the Ghoul King. So two Flying Horrors.
After this I'm thinking of buying a box of Tyranid Gargoyle Brood to use the wings to make some flying ghouls, these will be my Fell Bats.

This way you'll have a 1700 points Soul Blight army.

VLoZD - 440pts
VLoZD - 440 pts
VL Flying Horror - 140
VL Flying Horror - 140
3 Vargheists - 150pts
3 Vargheists - 150pts
3 Fell Bats - 80pts
3 Fell Bats - 80pts
3 Fell Bats - 80pts

You'll need 1 more Battleline unit to make it legal, so this would be Blood Knights or more Vargheist.

You can also just use one SC Flesh Eater box for half the units. (You can still convert 10 Ghouls to Fell Bats) 

For Blood Knights I'm thinking about Dark Riders (Dark Elves) with some weapon and head swaps.
:Edit: These look a bit petite for actual knights but I think it would look good in a Swift Death theme.

Beneath some conversion ideas. These are not mine but Googled.

Fell Bats Conversion:
http://klenval.blogspot.com/2013/08/gargoyles-count-as-fell-bats.html

Flying Horror Conversion:
http://wiscodice.com/?p=1138
or:

HHwfHeq.jpg

Edited by Peter1990
  • Like 4

On 1/31/2020 at 5:35 PM, Kyriakin said:

Why no mention of Vargheists?  

...because I don't like the model ;)

I would love to post some pictures, but I'm still waiting for my knights (dragon princes) to arrive...I found one for 30€ - got to give it a shot!

@Peter1990 

To be honest, I want to avoid to walk down the FEC road. I love their lore, but not the design of the models. That's why I try to bring up somekind of own, unique army visual wise. I have no idea so far how to play them regarding the alligiance. This depends strongly on the battleline units, At the current state I also don't know how big this project gonna get. So far, I'm thinking of 1500 points. The VLoZD + Blood Knights + Battlelines will not allow a smaller scaled army. 

...and last but not least, some IJ are staring at me in my hobbyroom, waiting for their paint. I thing I gonna switch between painting them and building this army the whole year as I don't have that much time to spend, thx to my 10 month son ;)

So please don't expect this thread to be filled weekly with news, allthough I would enjoy some konversation about the idea and maybe some of you guys have finished similar armys/units?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

oh boy, that dude looks scary af!

got some bad news, I didn't receive my dragon princes - they are out of stock so no lucky bargain for me. 

Plan B is to use Drakespawn Knights as rider (with other heads and shields). But I'm not quite sure were to get the horses from...any ideas?

Atm i think about using the horses of the darkriders kit.

Edited by Dolinarius

27 minutes ago, Dolinarius said:

got some bad news, I didn't receive my dragon princes - they are out of stock so no lucky bargain for me. 

Plan B is to use Drakespawn Knights as rider (with other heads and shields). But I'm not quite sure were to get the horses from...any ideas?

Dark Rider's horses seem not armored enough for the purpose, also legs of the riders are sculpted into horses, so that's a major pain.

I think chaos knights are your best bet.

@XReNoh thx for the advise!!!! I was about to hit the order button...

Chaos Knights (old or new ones) only come in the SC! boxes as far as I know, right?

I'm already thinking about taking the skeletton horses of the blackknights...but that's like plan F and the final produkt will not look like originaly itended. 

Edited by Dolinarius

meanwhile i start thinking about listbuilding. 

VLoZD will be the general for sure

VL on foot & Necromancer for the battleline  suppport

10x Bloodknights (i hope i will find some more dragon princes)

As battleline I'm thinking of zombies maybe also skelettons - i got 40 of them laying around like the rotten bones they are. It would be a shame not to use them, and I'm not motivated enough to paint 40-80 zombies - so far!

VLoZD - General

VL on foot

Necromancer

10x Blood Knights

10x Graveguard

40x Skelettons (Spears)

5x Dire Wolves

5x Dire Wolves

Terrorgheist

1970P total 138 wounds

This is something I can achieve easiely, as I already have most of the models except VLoZD, the GG (Executioner conversion) und 5 Blood Knights. As it has 3 generic battleline units, it can fit basicly every LoN army & soulblight. 

From this base I will build up the vampire theme further...

edit

I initialy wanted to field vampires only. 

So the heroes stay the same as above (VLoZD+VL+Necro) and in addition to that 

10 Blood Knights

3x20 Grave Guards (with the Executioners conversion)

1950P (Grand host of nagash)

so far so good, but if you imagine this force on the table, it seems kinda boring and it's lorewise difficult to believe, that a minor necromancer can (re)summon 20 vampire warriors (GG)...so I came back to the plan with zombies (in the end) and skelettons (first of all)

so I'm constantly thinking about ways, to convert common death units into vampires to use them. the problem is, that most of the battleline options are blobs and its not very thematic to bring up 40-60 vampire warriors who die like flies in combat. 

Edited by Dolinarius

On 2/20/2020 at 10:37 AM, Dolinarius said:

Corpsemare Stampede?

• 1 month later...

finally!!!

Everything arrived the other day and i assambled my first few minis of the army and started to paint one of them as a concept. 

https://www.imageupload.net/image/QyOHb

https://www.imageupload.net/image/QyCb5

https://www.imageupload.net/image/QyS0t

https://www.imageupload.net/image/QyFTJ

https://www.imageupload.net/image/QygMr

I also found a second box dragon princes in spain - 50€ sounds kinda ok. I hope it arrives until xmax ;)

edit

and if someone could help me out, how to post pictures properly I wouldn't say no... ;)

Edited by Dolinarius

• 4 weeks later...