AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

40 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Hmmm, do we know if Chaos Chariots will still be battleline, and hopefully still do their impact MW on the charge?   I probably need a Lord on Karkadrak, I bet that will still be good.

I thought chariots were only battleline if your general was a Karkadrak or Lord on Mount, same with Knights? 

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

The plain Chaos Chariots are good plain battleline.  Not sure about the Gorebeast ones though.  

My app must be wrong then. It says they’re only battleline if you run Idolators. 

Oh well guess I need to update haha. 

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Latetotheparty said:

What models are you using? They look right Nurgly

Those are kruleboyz gutrippas, parts from various other kits (mainly heads from the FEC ghouls) and my drive and motivation to learn to sculpt and do more than just gap filling.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats everyone's thoughts on the new GHB?

Marauders could already fight in 2 ranks so Chaos Warriors with sword and board appear the biggest beneficiaries of this (although they still wont do crazy melee damage) and together with counting as 3 on objectives are going to be really hard to deal with.

Marauders are great condidates for the battlaion that does extra damage to enemy battleline. So are chaos knights if non-galletian veterans can be taken in that battalion. Otherwise I guess knights are taking a back step to warriors.

I would love to see how this combos with our new book however thats not out for 6 months at which point we may have a new GHB "season".

I think warriors could actually be in a good place. There's two ways to run them that seem very good with the new handbook.

Tzeentch warriors counting triple in objectives is going to be very hard to remove.

Khorne warriors still have no rend but if the meta is moving to hoards of battleline they'll do much better because the average save will be worse. With an extra rank fighting the old combos of blood secretor and lord gets doubled in effectiveness. A unit of 20 is putting out 121 attacks hitting on 2s rerolling 1 then wounding on twos. That's overkill but these guys can absolutely blender. Heck you could chuck a warshrine in there for curse too if you wanted.. or make them bounty hunters and damage 2 against battleline

Quick bit of math and bounty hunter khorne warriors with a secrator and lord will do 40 wounds in a round of combat against a 4+ save.

Edited by Rors

So taking a look at my StD army (knights and chaos warriors), I think chaos warriors come out of this looking pretty good.

They were already unreasonably tanky (especially with mark of Tzeentch).  Their problem was just that they couldn't kill jack, even if they were buffed.  Now, you can fight in 2 ranks which means that you basically doubled their damage output.  Admittedly, 2x low is still low, and they are suffering from their lack of rend, but hey, I'll take any improvements I can get.  Second, even a block of 20 could still be outnumbered on objectives... but now you can make a 20 block count at 60, which is going to be a lot harder to dislodge with anything that can actually kill them.

Knights on the other hand might work out better as bounty hunters.  They don't get the veteran keyword, but now it is hard to argue for lances when you can just use ensorcelled blades and always have +1 attacks, rend -1, and damage 2, even if you aren't the one who charged.

Overall, StD is still going to be weak to big monsters, but if you were ok playing to the objectives before, and were able to make that work, you might still be able to do so now.

1 hour ago, readercolin said:

So taking a look at my StD army (knights and chaos warriors), I think chaos warriors come out of this looking pretty good.

They were already unreasonably tanky (especially with mark of Tzeentch).  Their problem was just that they couldn't kill jack, even if they were buffed.  Now, you can fight in 2 ranks which means that you basically doubled their damage output.  Admittedly, 2x low is still low, and they are suffering from their lack of rend, but hey, I'll take any improvements I can get.  Second, even a block of 20 could still be outnumbered on objectives... but now you can make a 20 block count at 60, which is going to be a lot harder to dislodge with anything that can actually kill them.

Knights on the other hand might work out better as bounty hunters.  They don't get the veteran keyword, but now it is hard to argue for lances when you can just use ensorcelled blades and always have +1 attacks, rend -1, and damage 2, even if you aren't the one who charged.

Overall, StD is still going to be weak to big monsters, but if you were ok playing to the objectives before, and were able to make that work, you might still be able to do so now.

Biggest question is the exact rules for the bounty hunter battalion. If it's set up like the conqueror one then only non-mounted battleline will be allowed, so no knights. If knights are allowed then I could definitely see their stock rise, double damage for no downside is pretty slick. 

Assuming wording is consistent then I'd say the biggest thing we have is triple count warriors with mark of tzeentch. Double damage marauders seem pretty good though, and a master of magic teleporting them across the table from out of dispel range is a pretty consistent alpha strike. Worth trying out. 

Edit: Nevermind, the rules for the hunter battalion are leaked and they don't have to be veterans. Just no behemoths/artillery/heroes. That's nuts, it opens up so many possibilities. Knights, Varanguard, Chosen, all of them just got a double damage buff against battleline for no cost. 

Edited by Grimrock

When the new book drops we'll also have giant bull dudes who will go up to damage 4..

I think this new meta is going to be extremely bloody. The damage output has increased a ton for basically every book.

I think bounty hunters will do better than veterans though. Everyone must have battleline so they'll always get value but for a lot of books, the battleline troops are dependant on support hero buffs. Heros who themselves are now much easier to kill with multi ranks of troops swinging at them.

• Like 1

Did anyone notice in the leaked point images it said at the bottom of the zteentch page that they are only allies with Non mark of chaos s2d units? I would imagine this will hold true for other chaos gods. Which means their is currently like 4 or 5 models that can ally with other chaos factions, including archaon, belakore, mind stealer cat, fomeroid, and furies.

Edited by ChaosUndivided
Typo

Allies are allies, but chaos armies have their own coalition rules where you can take 2 out of 4 units from slaves with the corresponding god mark and 1 out of 4 units from beasts who then gain the god mark of the faction. Coalition units are not subject to the point restriction that allies are.

It occurred to me that the serpent cultists when taken as battleline will be pretty killy.

The more I look through our book the more I think we're in a really good spot for this upcoming season. Hopefully the new book only makes it even better.

• Like 1

Yeah, letting all the models within 1/2" strike sure helps out Knights and Warriors with 1" weapons.  The extra damage battalion is excellent too for our myriad of battleline units (hoping Chariots stay battleline too).

Not sure what our new tome will look like but I'm really not counting on Daemon Princes being the lynchpins of my army anymore.  So I'm looking at a Start Collecting Box to go with my 4 custom chariots...Then adding a One-Eyed Grunnock, and can one have a Krondspine Incarnate AND a Grunnock?  I'm not real familar with the Krondspine rules but looks cool, huge, and dangerous.  Would go well with my Beasts of Chaos too.

18 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Yeah, letting all the models within 1/2" strike sure helps out Knights and Warriors with 1" weapons.  The extra damage battalion is excellent too for our myriad of battleline units (hoping Chariots stay battleline too).

Not sure what our new tome will look like but I'm really not counting on Daemon Princes being the lynchpins of my army anymore.  So I'm looking at a Start Collecting Box to go with my 4 custom chariots...Then adding a One-Eyed Grunnock, and can one have a Krondspine Incarnate AND a Grunnock?  I'm not real familar with the Krondspine rules but looks cool, huge, and dangerous.  Would go well with my Beasts of Chaos too.

Krondspine, the allied megagargants, and gotrek all follow similar rules.  You can have them in your army even if they exceed the points allotment, but you are then not allowed to have any additional allies.

• Thanks 1

how is everyone feeling about the lack of points changes? drops are always welcome but did we need any? 

Warriors are prob good value now they fight in 2 ranks. Knights too when in Bounty Hunters. Still think we struggle for damage outside Archaon and 6th circle Varanguard but we are probably one of the best armies at leaning into the save stack meta. I tooled around with an Idolators list that can throw out +1 save up to 8 times!