Starcast - The Thread

Turragor

On 5/8/2021 at 12:49 PM, Turragor said:

Not only did I guess this but I built this 4 yrs ago (ish) :D

image.png.dbbd4ce9968c1f199268155527c93288.png

Interesting times! Who knows if a Starcast- like approach as SCE will survive?

So prescient of you!  Really neat conversion.  I have my claws crossed that the Stardrake and Dracoths will be rightly feared in the next tome, and hopefully a Stardrake general will make Dracoths battleline.  That would make Kragnos really mad.

• Thanks 1

We've had a few teasers and while there is so much that is unknown there is almost no point speculating, I feel like what we do know points to a Starcast like build doing a lot of things similar/better than it does now, while the faction overall will get a boost that means the best list is still not Starcast.

Endless spells: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/07/cause-more-magical-mayhem-in-the-new-edition-of-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-with-these-prayers-and-endless-spells/

This mentions predatory spells but I find it hard to imagine this won't apply to the majority of endless spells. Double the comet ticks isn't anything to sniff at.

Monster changes: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/07/cause-more-magical-mayhem-in-the-new-edition-of-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-with-these-prayers-and-endless-spells/

I like this! Stomp is obviously something quite interesting, but most of these look good.

With absolutely no information I'm going out on a limb here and saying I'm trying:

2 Drakes

Prime (new scroll suspicion)

caster/support heroes

Comet

Cheapest battleline

A number of Dracothian guard (if they're not battleline)

Just a hunch! I've got this gut feeling that Extremis will come out looking rather swell for some reason.

I have only one doubt or suspicion with the whole Starcast concept at the moment, and that is that they seem to be marketing that heroes are even more important... And Starcast is very good at taking out support heroes that are hiding. Maybe GW has thought of this and the core concept of ranged mw chip is gone.

We'll see :)

55 minutes ago, Turragor said:

New rules - 1 change to endless spells that effects the comet:

You cannot dispell it and then cast it in the same phase.

:(

on the plus side, there is now a generic artefact that gives a 5+ ward save

as for the comet, depending on the points in general it might still be worth it for casting it once. Otherwise, and again, waiting to see the new warscrolls, a non-magic version with Stardrake(s) - Prime - 20 Sentinels could be another option

On 6/15/2021 at 10:16 AM, Turragor said:

New rules - 1 change to endless spells that effects the comet:

You cannot dispell it and then cast it in the same phase.

:(

Interesting enough you can dispell in the opponents hero phase instead of using an unbind (or prayer for a priest), so you could use an unbind attempt after it triggers the effect so it is available to cast in your next hero phase.

• Like 2

My first idea that I think I want to try out on the table (minimal painting requirement - Yndastra only).

With a new edition, it's actually kinda moot what ppl take. Synergies and mechanics change, a new tome will come along shortly after Dominion releases (probably). There will be other releases (chariot etc).

I just feel like this is a cool idea:

starcast 3.0

Warlord

LCoSD - 540
Celestant Prime - 325
Yndrasta - 300
Knight Incantor - 130
Knight Incantor - 130
1 x 5 Liberators - 95
Everblaze Comet - 110

Vanguard

Lord Castellant - 130
2 x 5 Liberators - 190
Aetherwings - 45

Castellant, aetherwings and 2 lib units have a free (no CP) movement boost to reach objectives or get in range of buffs/synergies

Yndastra sits with 2 libs units (until its time to strike elsewhere) regen-ing the bare bones battleline & giving them battleshock immunity.

1 unit libs in deepstrike to make opponent think.

Prime behaves as normal (on the field spreading wounds most often).

LCoSD tries out their new ward amulet I spose and sits on another objective with Castellant - whose inclusion depends on if their scroll gets a rewrite tbh. For now I'm cleaving close to the original starcast format.

Double incantors as I think magics gonna be even stronger. Will allow trialling of cast/recast of the comet as per Scurvydog above.

Aetherwings because why not.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, just for fun and for this weird interregnum, here's a starcasty idea for a list:

Spoiler
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Drakesworn Templar (450) in Warlord
- Tempest Axe
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (300)
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Mount Trait: Steel Pinions
- Spell: Thundershock
Celestant-Prime (325) in Warlord
Knight-Heraldor (110) in Warlord
5 x Sequitors (130) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
20 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (300) in Warlord
- Allies
- Reinforced x 1
Everblaze Comet (100)
Warlord (mount trait)

Total: 1975 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 300 / 400
Wounds: 89

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK so we've a big book coming soon TM. I've got a lot of stuff painted for SC already. I want to try something from Dominion... I don't want to paint or buy a lot of new things prior to the book.

I also want to think that there's a bit of godmonster/hero smashing required if I play a tournament over the summer.

I'm considering developing on the following and I want to hear if folks have feedback:

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Drakesworn Templar (450)
- General
- Tempest Axe
Celestant-Prime (325)
Yndrasta the Celestial Spear (300)
Lord-Exorcist (95)
Gotrek Gurnisson (435)
- Allies
5 x Liberators (95)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (95)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (95)
- Warhammer & Shield
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 435 / 400
Wounds: 75

I'll have to build and paint 2 models total (Yndrasta and Gotrek) - similar to my idea with Kroak (RIP) :P
Edited by Turragor

5 hours ago, SchleuderMann2 said:

I would swap exorcist and comet for battlemage  and maybe lifeswarm. Gotrek really needs some speed bonus and in case you could give it also to other characters to ensure a critical charge

That's a pretty good point. You mean wildform right? How would I get a Battlemage and Gotrek into an SCE list? Stormkeeps? Need to bypass the ally limit once Gotrek is in.

I reckon I'll probably pivot 'Star'cast to 'Hero'cast - given how the meta is shaking out. In that respect my logic is:

Libs and Yndrasta (regening low model count battleline and other buffs) together.

Dragon as a distraction and for eating models that are tough to move (plays havoc when you can eat LRL champs and remove casting, or Hekatos models stopping RDR commands from being issued, daemon banners to stop return of models when battleshock rolls around etc)

Then the comet, exorcist and Prime are a tribute to Starcast still ... they could be removed (until new book when we hopefully see prime buffs)...

In that case I could add in the battlemage. I might take an Incantor against hard magic (or 2).

Concussors are nice right now.

But I wonder if I could then fit in 2 drakes :D obaby!

2 hours ago, Turragor said:

That's a pretty good point. You mean wildform right? How would I get a Battlemage and Gotrek into an SCE list? Stormkeeps? Need to bypass the ally limit once Gotrek is in.

I reckon I'll probably pivot 'Star'cast to 'Hero'cast - given how the meta is shaking out. In that respect my logic is:

Libs and Yndrasta (regening low model count battleline and other buffs) together.

Dragon as a distraction and for eating models that are tough to move (plays havoc when you can eat LRL champs and remove casting, or Hekatos models stopping RDR commands from being issued, daemon banners to stop return of models when battleshock rolls around etc)

Then the comet, exorcist and Prime are a tribute to Starcast still ... they could be removed (until new book when we hopefully see prime buffs)...

In that case I could add in the battlemage. I might take an Incantor against hard magic (or 2).

Concussors are nice right now.

But I wonder if I could then fit in 2 drakes :D obaby!

What stops me from running two stardrakes atm (or even Stardrake + battlemage on griffon for wildform) is that there's only one amulet of destiny and big monsters (without their own ward) seem to risky without it 😅 for herohammer with stardrakes I would considet templar (with amulet) + phoenix (with tome)

• Like 1

OK so I'm gonna give the following a whirl. It kind of doesn't matter with a new book on the way. Still interested in feedback (some of the ideas may continue to work):

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line (?)
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Gotrek Gurnisson (435) in Battle Regiment
- Allies
Drakesworn Templar (450) in Battle Regiment
- General
- Tempest Axe
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
Yndrasta the Celestial Spear (300) in Battle Regiment
Celestant-Prime (325) in Battle Regiment
5 x Liberators (95) in Battle Regiment
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (95) in Battle Regiment
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents
Everblaze Comet (100)
Battle Regiment
Artefact

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 435 / 400
Wounds: 76

Summary

Its one drop - I've to be very careful with deployment  but I hope to decide (or have a greater chance of deciding) r1.

There's a Gotrek. He'll act as a lone agent to really mess with folks heads (later rounds) as he is wont to do.

There is Yndrastra who can slap but will be used to keep lib blocks alive and battleshock immune too.

There is the Prime because I still rate everything that scroll brings even if Yndrastra is outshining in combat and survivability (orrery and the scepter are still big faves).

There is a Stardrake because I ****** love them.

There are a number of gambles and sacrifices here:

1. Templar is a mage now. Cast & recast of comet for first 2 rounds. Then (if he's alive :S) mystic shield and in. I'd like to take Master of Magic to utterly guarantee the Comet.

2. That mage status reduces the durability of the drake. I'll be playing it cautiously as opposed to end of 2.0 with 2x Drakes in my lists.

3. I'm one drop for the novelty. It's going to mean I've to deploy very smart. Deployment is my biggest weakness tbh and this should really sharpen me up with some hard lessons. I figure I'll have two strats with celestial vs board deployment based on the type of army I face.

4. I'm sayin adieu to Staunch - and I'm mainly thinking I'll not be casting mystic shield for a few rounds so it's good to have a bit of a bonus.

5. Nearly ALL the top godhammer strong lists will be tough here. I mean, Gotrek should save me a bit. But I think anyone piloting a strong meta list currently knows how to handle Gotrek...

Edited by Turragor

lol looks like Starcast got whole different meaning now. We can play a list that consists 100% of Dragons (with tiny humans on top). This is exactly what I am going to do. Shame for all the other painted models, but there is no other way :D

• Like 1

Yeah, playstyle will be different for sure but its the origin of what I wanted to play when I started out. I wanted to play stardrakes.

Ofc, now it looks like Stardrakes and dracothian guard etc will play 2nd fiddle to the new dragons but that's the nature of GW games. Im not even mad :D I knew this going in

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

Yeah, playstyle will be different for sure but its the origin of what I wanted to play when I started out. I wanted to play stardrakes.

Ofc, now it looks like Stardrakes and dracothian guard etc will play 2nd fiddle to the new dragons but that's the nature of GW games. Im not even mad :D I knew this going in

I still hope that big daddy Stardrake will still be combinable (is that a word? :D ) with the new guys. Otherwise it wouldn't be a real Dragon Force (pun intended) without a Dragonrider General. Or they bring new HQ on Dragons, would also be fine with me. I'm totally stoked! Only downside is that my motivation to paint the Dominion stuff just fell threw the ground, because...why on earth would I play a non-dragon unit now? :D

Edited by Naem
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So Annihilators are gaining popularity (pre- book in lots of 3) for doing basically what Starcast does (maybe a bit better).

Interesting. Ofc, new book, new off-beat list possibilities are around the corner.

- Grand Strategy: Dominating Presence
- Triumphs:
Celestant-Prime (325)
Lord-Arcanum (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Mindlock Staff
Knight-Vexillor (120)
- Meteoric Standard
5 x Liberators (95)
- Warhammer & Shield