Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

Oh my lawd I can't wait to watch those vids. Or do I wait? Just got back from footy so in the queue now. Hope to get the books. 

I kinda don't wanna watch the reviews to save it for myself. For anyone who has watched the reviews or seen the book, can I ask, is there a good lore and art section? Norsca has a seperate section?!

Ugh, I just got in. Logged in from Belgium and waited more than a hour. Every Bretonnian resin mini is out of stock. The hard cover rulebook is out of stock. Than my hope was to get the reference cards, but than I got this.

Lol. What did GW expect, that nobody would be interested in the return of Warhammer. Typical GW. This combined with the posts about orders delayed until 30/03/2024 means GW vastly underestimated the silent majority that just wants Warhammer back!

image.png.d88231980a8def9441f4f4a826c776ca.png

This video let me take a better look at the lore sections of the book. Here are my observations.

*The history section actually accounts for the background of a lot of races that aren't part of the starting roster, like the sacrifice of Lord Kroak, Ushoran forming his empire in Mourkain and the rise of the Skaven. Which is really good, I was kinda afraid they would essentially ignore them. I'd say its actually a really good summary of the general history of the world for beginners. 

*The book outright theorizes that the Old One's plan might have been for the Mortal Realms to have been born from the death of this world. Which is going to ****** off a bunch of people who want to pretend like the End Times don't exist.

*There are a surprising amount of pages dedicated to Tilea and Estalia's background, given that they aren't a playable faction even with the Legacy lists, I believe GW has outright stated they have no plans to add Dogs of War to TOW, and Tilea and Estalia are even blank on the map. 

*The section on Norsca heavily emphasizes they are traders as well as pirates and even implies al lot of them aren't Chaos worshippers.

*Despite Cathay having its own section, there's no real new Cathay lore that we didn't get from Total War Warhammer.

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Taerg Ad Ywons said:

Today reminds me of the time that guy set fire to his Dark Elves army.

At least the base packs come in 100s for the bulk rebasing, and 20 for most other common ones. I'm torn on rebasing, but well, I'll see whether or not I can get adapter trays.

As for non-supported armies, I can understand the frustration (I could easily port over 2k of my mawtribes and still have more than enough for AoS) but I think that in time, they'll get some love. After all, Lizardmen, Dark Elves, and Skaven have all had a stake in Lustria at some point in time (Lizardmen's stake in Lustria being really really long).

I would personally go with trays over rebasing for the simple reason that, if you don't like TOW in the end or want to play any other WHF version you can play both.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Doko said:

thats wrong,i have been following tow since the first day and they NEVER said that the pdf armys were going to be ignored and let die.

they said that at the launch they cant support every army and so half gonna only get pdf rules,that meaning that with time they gonna come back to those pdf armys,they could have said that they wont support these half armys and not said that they cant support them at the launch that meaning diferent

show me where gw have said in those 4 yeara since tow started that the pdf armys were to be umplayables? 

They are not unplayable. They are going to have everything needed to be played in those PDFs. You cannot use them in tournaments? Yes, But I wouldn't say they are unplayable just based on that.

• Like 2

GW vastly underestimate demand. I never had to wait so long in the queue before and when I was in. Everything was already gone (No Bretonnian resin miniatures, rulebook, reference cards). I can only hope that the major shareholders and higher up managers will notice that a lot of money can be earned when playing the nostalgy card right and that's it time to invest some serious resources in it!

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Sathrut said:

If Night Goblins, Savage Orcs, Spider Riders and Arachnarok are not in TOW, but staying in AoS, where and when will their legacy rules appear?

I wouldn't base anything of those random pictures in books.

Looking at the contents page on videos the only thing I can't make out for sure is savage orcs.

Edit: on closer inspection i think savage orcs are basically an upgrade for normal orcs, where you swap out armour for Warpaint. At least for the boss. 

Edited by Dindi

A little timeline video by Arbitor Ian.

For those interested in fluff. A few pointers I've noticed.

- Cathay and Kislev get their own blurbs and mentions, which is interesting, if not a heavy point of speculation.

- MALERION?! not Malekith?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dindi said:

Looking at the contents page on videos the only thing I can't make out for sure is savage orcs.

Edit: on closer inspection i think savage orcs are basically an upgrade for normal orcs, where you swap out armour for Warpaint. At least for the boss. 

Oh, I'm not basing anything off these random pictures! I'd seen someone else comment on the lack of Night Goblins in that image, wondering if that meant they're staying in AoS, but someone else replied saying they thought the same, but it's been confirmed that Night Goblins are in.

EDIT: I asked if the minis themselves were shown. They said rules and artwork for Night Goblins in Ravening Hordes, but no idea if there is anything in the colour section of the main rulebook.

Which makes sense because the only legacy rules GW have announced are for the non-core factions.

Edited by Sathrut

8 hours ago, Doko said:

as means quite clearly that we cant use them in tournaments? i see in the post of today bery clearly that,but not in the old post.

i see that they omited this information CLEARLY to only gain money selling these armys and then today 10 hours before launch at the last moment is when announce this that had to be said 4 years ago

edit:yes im salty because i see clearly that gw only omited this information to get extra money and just released this info in last second and not 4 years ago.

some of you read betwen lanes that they said it allready but the truth is that they never said nothing untill today.

last post because i have said my point allready.

Imo those playing official tournaments are a minority. So the money they would be earning by omitting that, as you said, would be the minority from a minority game. I cannot agree with you on that.

• Like 2

Just now, Sathrut said:

Oh, I'm not basing anything off these random pictures! I'd seen someone else comment on the lack of Night Goblins in that image, wondering if that meant they're staying in AoS, but someone else replied saying they thought the same, but it's been confirmed that Night Goblins are in.

Which makes sense because the only legacy rules GW have announced are for the non-core factions.

Ah gotcha. 👍

17 minutes ago, Dindi said:

Yeah, a lot of Orc units have essentially "pay X points to give this unit Frenzy, pay X more points to give a Frenzied unit Warpaint" which seems to be how they're handling Savage Orcs. 

12 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Yeah, a lot of Orc units have essentially "pay X points to give this unit Frenzy, pay X more points to give a Frenzied unit Warpaint" which seems to be how they're handling Savage Orcs. 

Good spot.

So it looks like the arcane journals have new units that don't have minis yet, presumably they'll come at a later point?

Edited by Dindi

I got myself what I’ve been waiting for now for sometime, The Rulebook and the two books for Hordes and Forces. I cannot wait to read some lore and glance at some cool art! 

Now I sit and wait patiently for some cool new additions for the Dwarfs and Greenskins. 

Didn’t buy a thing.

Lords if the lance special edition was sold out. All Bretonnian Heroes as well.

And I don’t feel like paying and then waiting 2 months until my flgs get a restock.

Guess I‘ll wait. :)

The magnitude of demand underestimation is absurd 🤣 

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Now for a post that isn't about the Legacy factions. 

Pre-orders are up in my country, and looking at the Core Rulebook we can see the table of contents. Now, look at the fluff section, because it seems to be mostly divided into parts based on factions.

Most of these just obviously refer to the factions being supported at launch. Land of Ice & Snow and Ruled by Dragons are obvious references to Kislev and Cathay, but we can already assume they're coming at some point given the concept art we've seen of them. Southern Kingdoms is kind of unexpected, but given how Tilea and Estalia are blank on the map its likely just referring to the Border Princes, who we already know will be represented by things like the Exile Knight army list and presumably other variant armies for human factions. The thing that really stands out to me is The Wolves of the Sea. I can only assume that's referring to the Norscans, for they're the only seagoing race that would really lean into a wolf theme. Are there plans to make a Norscan faction seperate from Warriors of Chaos like the Total War games?

Uhhh. That's pretty sweet! Would be ace if the Fantasy world gets expanded with those regions that had no minis/ few minis before.

3 hours ago, Tonhel said:

I think only the official GW tournaments. All the rest wil do like they always did and add somekind of tournament / balance pack.

Most of the tournaments are organized either by stores, clubs or organizations that want as many players as possible, so none of them would ban those rules.

Edited by Ejecutor

3 hours ago, SirSalabean said:

I just pre ordered my tomb king set at my flgs. They didnt get an allocation for the other stuff unfortunately so heres hoping I can get some other kits at 10am

Yeah, seems they have no limitations for the big boxes but the rest is a bit limited. Also, checked some mins ago and many things are out of stock already.

17 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Didn’t buy a thing.

Lords if the lance special edition was sold out. All Bretonnian Heroes as well.

And I don’t feel like paying and then waiting 2 months until my flgs get a restock.

Guess I‘ll wait. :)

The magnitude of demand underestimation is absurd 🤣 

Same. Everything I was interested in was sold out. Hope they learn their lesson. And I hope nothing today was a one off…

2 hours ago, Garrac said:

Yeah, it's come to a point that nowadays when playing 40k my rivals (and me) ask first if we want to play secondaries, because we know its a whole lot more of time reading the rulebook and using cards

Btw I forgot to say, but sorry if anyone has felt hurt by any commentary of mine, let me tell you that my frustration is 100% directed to GW and just GW, one thousand sorries if u got misfire on a response or by reading me.

Nah, dude. You are always polite and correct ;)